• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Attacks and Abilities Guide

Sandstorm

Personally, I would have sandstorm act the same as sun or rain do in terms of reducing damage--they essentially reduce the effectiveness of an attack by one stage. So a special attack that a rock-type would ordinarily be weak to would deal damage as though it were neutral, and an attack that a rock-type resisted would deal damage as though it were 2x resisted. An attack that was 2x resisted would deal 1/3 the normal damage.

Since this applies to all special attacks rather than just to attacks of one specific type, it gives rock types in sand a significant boost; however, since sandstorm doesn't power any types up the way that sun or rain do, and because it applies only to rock types instead of any pokémon influenced by the weather, I think it's fair.

Squornshellous Beta

If I haven't posted answers in response to anyone, reposting your questions is pointless.

Extreme immobility has no direct effect on battle mechanics. It simply means that the pokémon can't move.

Ditto can transform into anything biological or any solid non-biological object.

Execute are extremely difficult to shatter and do not "spill" if tipped over, held upside-down, etc.

Just go with impossible attacks as best you can. I would have gorebyss' clamp look identical to a bind attack, for example.

Sorry. I thought that when some of the qestions had been answered, my others might go unseen.

Conversion. does it just take any attack from the movepool randomly, like with Sleep Talk, and take that as the type, or is it even between every type that the Pokémon can use?

Conversion 2. Is there a reason it works so differently from in-game? It chooses a random type that has been used in the battle (that also seems hard to keep track of in long battles) rather than changing to resist whatever it was last hit with.

EDIT: I'd guess ~12.5 speed per Double Team clone is a good average?

Last edited:
In regards to Super Fang...

It says it is affected by damage caps. If the damage done is higher than the cap, would it just cause the target to hit the cap right away? Or does it cause damage equal to half the damage cap? I would assume the former, but...

Sorry. I thought that when some of the qestions had been answered, my others might go unseen.

Conversion. does it just take any attack from the movepool randomly, like with Sleep Talk, and take that as the type, or is it even between every type that the Pokémon can use?

Conversion 2. Is there a reason it works so differently from in-game? It chooses a random type that has been used in the battle (that also seems hard to keep track of in long battles) rather than changing to resist whatever it was last hit with.

EDIT: I'd guess ~12.5 speed per Double Team clone is a good average?
A pokémon can choose what type it converts to in ASB, so long as it can use an attack of that type.

Conversion 2 "Changes the user's type to a random type either resistant or immune to the last move used against it," so the ASB version works more less like it does in the games.

That speed increment should be fine for double team clones.

In regards to Super Fang...

It says it is affected by damage caps. If the damage done is higher than the cap, would it just cause the target to hit the cap right away? Or does it cause damage equal to half the damage cap? I would assume the former, but...
The former.

Conversion2 - Normal 100%
Target: Self
Class: Special
Contest Type: Type Fueled
Contest Score: +20 (+40)

Works in the same way as the first conversion, but the user will change its type to one matching an attack that it has observed some other pokémon in the match using before; thus, it does not have to be related to any attack within the user's movepool.

?

EDIT: Splash isn't really an OHKO, is it.

Last edited:
Has it?
...*Checks* Oh, yeah. Well, I don't believe Negrek ever gave a definite answer.

Would a combination of Vicegrip / Seismic Toss / Something else that involves holding the foe and and Elemental punch be feasible? It wouldn't be a punch, per se, but the energy would still damage the foe, I think.

Well, I am assuming it's a joke, but I'd like to be sure. Besides, I'd already got a post, so it wasn't wasting any space, unlike your replies and my replies to your replies.

It would be accurate to say that Sketch fails if called by Metronome, yes?

EDIT: Also, can a Pokémon be commanded to attack itself (with an actual move rather than just a confusionfail)?

Last edited:
Aw darn it, it can't? Are there others that can't?
Yep. At least in the games, it can't call Assist, Chatter, Copycat, Counter, Covet, Destiny Bond, Detect, Endure, Feint, Focus Punch, Follow Me, Helping Hand, Me First, Metronome itself, Mimic, Mirror Coat, Mirror Move, Protect, Sleep Talk, Snatch, Struggle, Switcheroo, Thief and Trick. I'm not sure whether all of these should be prevented from being called by Metronome in the ASB; some limitations would be valid, like Metronome itself, but some others are only valid as far as the game goes, like Chatter.

It would be accurate to say that Sketch fails if called by Metronome, yes?

EDIT: Also, can a Pokémon be commanded to attack itself (with an actual move rather than just a confusionfail)?
Sketch would not be called by metronome. I typically let chatter be called by metronome, but if it's convenient to just exclude it with the rest of the typically-unusable moves then it's fine to do so.

Has it?
...*Checks* Oh, yeah. Well, I don't believe Negrek ever gave a definite answer.

Would a combination of Vicegrip / Seismic Toss / Something else that involves holding the foe and and Elemental punch be feasible? It wouldn't be a punch, per se, but the energy would still damage the foe, I think.
You could, but the attack wouldn't do as much damage as it would if delivered with an actual punch--less than half the full amount.

Would said elemental punch combo take correspondingly less energy?

EDIT: I assume that Spiky-Eared Pichu's special moves are usable by Pichu here?

Last edited:
Normally one would be able to command their Pokemon to wait before attacking, but I'm wondering if this is the case with Bide? I'm pretty sure the +1 priority doesn't apply to the turn it releases, but I have doubts about a Pokemon being able to hold in all that damage/energy/whatever for that long.

Back
Top Bottom