• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Keldeo vs Vipera Magnifica

Alrighty then...

Libertad, this round I want you to wait until after Zipper moves before doing anything. This way we can prevent her from using Counter or Metal Burst, and also prolong her confusion by just a little bit. Use Fire Punch, then Acrobatics, and lastly Superpower. You can use Aerial Ace if you need to get rid of some clones. Protect if Zipper tries to use Super Fang or Swagger.

Fire Punch / Aerial Ace / Protect ~ Acrobatics / Aerial Ace / Protect ~ Superpower / Aerial Ace / Protect

I've screwed us pretty thoroughly here, huh. Try Taunt until it works, and Super Fang with the actions you have left.

Taunt ~ Taunt / Super Fang x2

Round Eight

Keldeo (xxO)
Mawile
Zipper ♀ @ Expert Belt
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Health: 86%
Energy: 93%
Total: 194
Nasteries: 3 (Daredevil's Advocate) / 0 (Own Worst Frenemy)
Status: Still absolutely fuming. Severely confused (40% failure chance). +3 Attack.

Vipera Magnifica (ooO)
Hawlucha
Libertad ♀ @ Flying Gem
Ability: Unburden
Health: 98%
Energy: 88%
Total: 201
Nasteries: 0 (Daredevil's Advocate) / 0 (Own Worst Frenemy)

------------------------------​

"BAWK!" screams Zipper, hopping up to Libertad and parting her jaws wide.

Oh my god. What is Zipper doing, posing and squawking like some sort of... offensive creature?! Libertad is offended by this appropriative pose! Wait... does that mean Libertad is an offensive creature?! Libertad gasps. Oh no she didn't! Libertad will absolutely not let anyone get away with implying that she is an offensive creature! Offended, Libertad punches Zipper in the mouth with a fist of SWIRLING FIRE.

"BAWK!" screams Zipper, chomping down on the outstretched fist. Both Pokémon gasp in pain, Zipper as she gets a mouthful of SWIRLING FIRE, and Libertad as she gets a fistful of SHARP TEETH. Zipper's teeth puncture deep into Libertad's knuckles, and when Libertad painfully wrenches her hand away most of the skin tears away with it, further exposing the hideous wound. Oh my god. An offensive wound, inflicted by an offensive creature! Cawing in defiance, Libertad takes flight, circling her prey as the Flying Gem hanging around her neck begins to glow. Imbued with its power she spirals down, a green and red blur, to deliver a flurry of blows to Zipper's face with her uninjured hand.

"BAWK!" screams Zipper, biting down again. Apparently the repeated blows have brought her back down to earth. Libertad screeches in pain and defiance, too angry to do anything to protect herself from this assault. She caws out several vile insults to Zipper as the Mawile chows down on her hand, until finally Libertad pulls back with a mighty effort, too overtaken by anger to notice more skin ripping away. Summoning all of her strength, she lifts Zipper into the air with both bleeding hands and then smashes her heavily back into the ground, feeling a grim satisfaction as some of the Mawile's teeth crack audibly upon contact with the pavement. The outburst leaves Libertad exhausted, however, and she sits back to take a moment to breathe and collect her thoughts.

Keldeo (xxO)
Mawile
Zipper ♀ @ Expert Belt
Health: 47%
Energy: 34%
Total: 96
Used: Taunt ~ Super Fang ~ Super Fang

Vipera Magnifica (ooO)
Hawlucha
Libertad@ Flying Gem
Health: 25%
Energy: 75%
Total: 115
Nasteries: 2 (Daredevil's Advocate) / 0 (Own Worst Frenemy)
Used: Fire Punch ~ Acrobatics ~ Superpower

Arena Status
  • Nacrene City has been utterly destroyed. Broken lampposts and splintered tree trunks litter the streets of cracked stone. Citizens have fled to the Pokémon Centre, and major damage has been done to the other buildings that are still standing. The indentation of a fucking whale marks the buildings that are still standing on the streetside, clearly indicating her former presence.
  • The remains of the Gym, the Pokémon Center, and a random warehouse are piled into a misshapen heap on the side of the road.
  • Soda Pop residue coats the streets and fields.

Damage and Energy

• Zipper's Health: 86% - 11% (Fire Punch) - 13% (Acrobatics) - 15% (Superpower) = 47%
  • Zipper's Energy: 93% - 4% (Taunt) - 37% (Super Fang) - 18% (Super Fang) = 34%
  • Libertad's Health: 98% - 49% (Super Fang) - 24% (Super Fang) = 25%
  • Libertad's Energy: 88% - 4% (Fire Punch) - 3% (Acrobatics) - 6% (Superpower) = 75%

Notes
  • Speed order: Libertad (236) > Zipper (50).
  • Libertad was too angry from the Taunt to bother trying to Protect from Super Fang.
  • Zipper's confusion wore off after being hit by Acrobatics. Her Attack boost will wear off after the first action next round.
  • Libertad's Taunt wore off at the end of the round.
  • Keldeo commands first.

Whoops, forgot about this. We're most likely going to lose at this rate, but we can at least try! First off, for the entire round I'd like you to wait until Libertad moves before you do, even if it means that you both lose the entire action. (I don't think this should prove too troublesome for you, since you're almost a fifth of her current speed.) Also for the entire round, if she digs down, wait a little bit to see if she resurfaces, but use your nondamaging option if she doesn't - I'll trust your judgement as to how long to wait. Anyway, let's start with a Play Rough to capitalize on our Attack boost before it fades; if you can, try not to lower her Attack with that, but it doesn't really matter and I'm pretty sure you can't control it anyway, so whatever. If she tries to Encore or Swagger, Protect. If she has clones; is completely unhittable, including Detect; or is too far away in any direction for hitting her to be reasonably feasible, we'll go with a Rain Dance for absolutely no reason.

Next, Play Rough again if 1) you didn't hit her with it last action (including if you couldn't hit her or didn't use the move at all) or she used a health recovery move (not Chill or Drain Punch) either on the first or second action, 2) you're not Tormented, and 3) you can hit her with it. Instead, use Charge Beam if at least one of those conditions is false (i.e. you did hit her with Play Rough and she did not use a recovery move not named Chill or Drain Punch on the first or second actions, OR you are Tormented, OR you can't hit with Play Rough) and you can hit her with Charge Beam. Use Iron Defense if she's completely unhittable or detecting, but don't try using it if you're Taunted. Sweep Charge Beam if there are clones, even if the conditions for Play Rough or Swords Dance are fulfilled, and if she made a substitute last action, you used Play Rough and hit with it, it's still standing, and she's hittable with Charge Beam, I'd like you to try a Charge Beam instead of Play Rough.

On the last action, just Play Rough again if 1) you can use it, 2) you haven't hit with it twice, and 3) you've not been Tormented out of using it. Ice Beam instead if 1) you can use and hit with Ice Beam and 2) you can't hit with or use Play Rough, including Detect, or there are clones; sweep it in the latter case. If she's completely unhittable and you can use it, let's go for another Iron Defense. Good luck, Zipper!

Play Rough / Protect / Rain Dance ~ Play Rough / Charge Beam / Iron Defense ~ Play Rough / Ice Beam / Iron Defense

Well, if Zipper's going to be waiting for us to move, we can't use the ol' "wait and use Endeavor, then attack on the next action" strategy. But there are other ways to take advantage of the situation...

On your first action, Libertad, use Detect. Once Zipper sees you doing that, she should start with her Rain Dance. Once she's finished dancing, give her a big round of applause with Encore. On your last action, finish strong with a Superpower.

Detect ~ Encore ~ Superpower

Round Nine

Keldeo (xxO)
Mawile
Zipper ♀ @ Expert Belt
Health: 47%
Energy: 34%
Total: 96

Vipera Magnifica (ooO)
Hawlucha
Libertad@ Flying Gem
Health: 25%
Energy: 75%
Total: 115
Nasteries: 2 (Daredevil's Advocate) / 0 (Own Worst Frenemy)

The field is oddly silent. There is a noticeable absence of bawking. Libertad plants her feet into the ground, putting on her most obvious defensive stance, and Zipper pauses. Her opponent... is afraid of her? Grinning to herself, she begins to step left, right, forward in a clearly carefully-choreographed dance. Twirling on the spot, she turns her jaws to the skies and mimics a Slowpoke's widest yawn in her call for rain. Clouds drift in to cover the sun and a light shower of Soda Pop begins to fall, drops landing on the ground with a calming pitter patter. Zipper takes a deep breath, her anger fading away in the lull of the battle.

The Mawile is torn from her reverie by the sound of hesitant clapping. She turns in surprise to see Libertad applauding her, in a much more subdued manner than last time. Zipper blushes a little, for she's always been a bit self-conscious of her dance skills. Could Libertad actually be... sincere? Perhaps Zipper could consider settling this rivalry... Her dance grows a bit more lively as she begins jumping about playfully, while, unbeknownst to her, a scowl crosses Libertad's face as she grumbles under her breath about the sticky Soda Pop clinging to her feathers.

"BAWK!" screams Libertad, leaping in with wings outstreched. Violently she knocks Zipper onto her side and begins pummeling her with all the strength she can possibly muster, an angry red aura surrounding her body as she calls on all her remaining power. Zipper screams in pain as the Hawlucha assaults her mercilessly, desperately shielding her face with her tiny arms. That... that foul, offensive creature! She should have known it was all a trick! No offensively offensive creature like that offensive creature over there could possibly be worthy of her friendship! Surrounding her body in pink Fairy-type energy, Zipper swings her jaws around to catch Libertad's arm in them mid-blow. With a furious scream she turns and flings the Hawlucha across the street, straight into the rubble of the destroyed gym, Pokémon Center, and random building. Libertad caws weakly, stars spinning in her vision, as the bout finally draws to a close.

Keldeo (xxX)
Mawile
Zipper ♀ @ Expert Belt
Health: 33%
Energy: 22%
Total: 60
Nasteries: 1 (Daredevil's Advocate) / 0 (Own Worst Frenemy)
Used: Rain Dance ~ Rain Dance ~ Play Rough

Vipera Magnifica (ooO)
Hawlucha
Libertad@ Flying Gem
Health: 2%
Energy: 63%
Total: 90
Nasteries: 4 (Daredevil's Advocate) / 0 (Own Worst Frenemy)
Used: Detect ~ Encore ~ Superpower

Arena Status
  • Nacrene City has been utterly destroyed. Broken lampposts and splintered tree trunks litter the streets of cracked stone. Citizens have fled to the Pokémon Centre, and major damage has been done to the other buildings that are still standing. The indentation of a fucking whale marks the buildings that are still standing on the streetside, clearly indicating her former presence.
  • The remains of the Gym, the Pokémon Center, and a random warehouse are piled into a misshapen heap on the side of the road.
  • Soda Pop residue coats the streets and fields.

Damage and Energy

• Zipper's Health: 47% - 14% (Superpower) = 33%
  • Zipper's Energy: 34% - 4% (Rain Dance) - 4% (Rain Dance) - 4% (Play Rough) = 22%
  • Libertad's Health: 25% - 23% (Play Rough) = 2%
  • Libertad's Energy: 75% - 2% (Detect) - 4% (Encore) - 6% (Superpower) = 63%

Notes
  • Speed order: Libertad (236) > Zipper (50).
  • Zipper was already quite wary of Libertad from all the earlier Taunting, so when Libertad Encored her and then proceeded to hit her with one of her strongest moves, she broke out of the Encore early.
  • And there we go! Vipera Magnifica takes all three bouts, so I don't have to bother doing simple arithmetic to calculate the winner, thankfully. He gets $24, Keldeo gets $12, and I get $15. Kamohoalii, Super Smile Tommy, a fucking whale, and Libertad get 2 exp each, while Zipper and Luke Atmey get 1 exp. I guess nobody actually gets to evolve from this battle, so just enjoy your exp, I guess!

Great game, Keldeo! You were a formidable adversary as always. And Eifie, the reffings in this battle were some of the most memorable I've ever read. Between the smilies in the first bout and the total destruction of Nacrene City in the second, I don't think I'll ever forget this battle.

Yeah, that was great, VM! And thank you, Eifie, for the amazing reffings! I really enjoyed every round. (´∀`)

Back
Top Bottom