• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Top 10 Favorite Video Games

Reviving this was a good idea. I think I have a few new favorites that are worth adding.

10. The Simpsons: Hit & Run (2003) - Ah yes, the nostalgia. This game was basically Grand Theft Auto, but with Simpsons characters. And if you were a fan of The Simpsons, this game was the greatest thing ever conceived. Truly, this was the most played game on my PS2, and one of the first games I ever played to 100% completion.

9. Mother 3 (2006) - This game was never released outside of Japan, but fans translated it, and now it's one of the most emulated games ever. This series has an absurd sense of humor that makes it such a fun experience. And yet, Mother 3 is also a very sad game. This game will flip-flop between lighthearted and depressing just to toy with your emotions. But all in all, it's a fantastic RPG with a great cast of characters, one of my favorite soundtracks ever (be warned, I'm going to say this a lot on this list), and a great sense of humor. I think Mother 3 is to Earthbound/Mother 2 as Majora's Mask is to Ocarina of Time. While Earthbound is an epic adventure, Mother 3 is an emotional journey. They're both great games, but I like Mother 3 a bit more. If you enjoyed Undertale, I heavily recommend you play this series, as it's where Undertale drew most of its inspiration.

8. Xenoblade Chronicles (2010) - This game was an instant favorite when I first played it. The world is MASSIVE and absolutely gorgeous. The soundtrack is phenomenal. The story is one of my all-time favorites. Xenoblade Chronicles really is one of the best RPGs ever made.

7. Super Mario Galaxy (2007) - Every now and then I get the hub world music from this game stuck in my head, and I think "wow, is this game really nine years old?" I feel like this game hasn't aged one bit. It's just so... massive and wonderfully designed. If you ask me, this game is the peak of Nintendo's most iconic franchise.

6. Ōkami (2006) - If you combine Japanese folklore with Zelda mechanics and a gorgeous art style, you get Ōkami. It's a fantastic game with a fantastic soundtrack, unique controls, and one of my favorite final bosses ever. I really should replay this some time.

5. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (2000) - As I said before, this is my favorite Zelda game because of the mood. The music gets progressively more eerie as the moon gets closer to Termina, and the people of Clock Town become increasingly more dejected. I don't think any other Zelda game makes you feel for the NPCs as much as this one. It's so different from other Zelda games, but in a way that I love. The number of dungeons is pretty short, but they're all wonderfully designed. And the music, oh my. Even if it's mostly the same soundtrack as Ocarina of Time, the way the music creates a feeling of impending doom in this game is just fantastic.

4. Portal 2 (2011) - This game is just the perfect combination of excellent level design and great comedic storytelling. It took everything that made Portal 1 great and expanded upon it. If you haven't played it, I heavily recommend it.

3. Metal Gear Solid (1998) - MGS is such a great franchise. And yet it's totally bizarre - the games have such attention to detail and a focus on realism, and yet you still have a levitating psychic, a crazy Russian colonel who can shoot lightning from his hands, snipers who can photosynthesize, and of course, giant mechs. To put it briefly... it's like one of my Japanese animes...

2. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (2001) - Yep, still love this game. If anything, I love it even more now. The soundtrack is iconic. The voice acting is cheesy but memorable. The chao garden is still the cutest thing ever. This game has its flaws, but honestly I love it even more for them. For me, Sonic Adventure 2 is just the perfect game for inducing that warm, fuzzy feeling of nostalgia.

1. Pokémon Yellow (1999) - And of course this is staying at number one. This game means more to me than any other, and although it's not objectively the best Pokémon game, it's still the game most responsible for shaping me as an individual, and that's why I have it ranked as number one.

rating smg above sm64 for shame
noah fence but smg has better level design, better music, better controls, actual bosses, a hubworld that isn't depressingly empty, and it's also not full of glitches. the only thing sm64 has going for it over smg is the fact that it's been so thoroughly dissected by fans ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ sm64 is great and i have a lot of love for it but galaxy is better

an updated list (in no particular order)

10. SMITE (Hi-Rez did a good job with this mythical MOBA)

9. Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth: Hacker's Memory (while the plot was not as solid at its predecessor, I prefer this one due to the return of some old favorites)

8. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (I still love the Chao Garden, although this game hasn' aged too well)

7. Super Mario 64 DS (although the controls sucked this was a decent port)

6. Zoo Tycoon 2 Ultimate Collection (amplified with mods)

5. Pokémon Ultra Sun / Ultra Moon (probably my favorite core Pokémon games so far)

4. Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep (This is how you do a good prequel)

3. Spore (needs a sequel pronto)

2. ARK: Survival evolved (like Minecraft, but SOOOO Much better, and with DINOSAURS)

1. Donkey Kong 64 (my childhood right here, bruh, too bad I could never beat it)

Last edited:
Ok, I'll give this a go

10. Rusty's Real Deal Baseball- This one's pretty obscure, but maybe you'll remember it from all those articles on it like 5 years back when it first released, touting that it was a game about haggling, but with actual money. Honestly, though, that's just one part of its charm; its a short but interesting visual novel, done completely in 100% Nintendo fashion, with a whole bunch of addictive baseball mini-games to round it all out. This one's definitely an underrated gem, imo.

9. Super Paper Mario- Everyone likes to say PM64 and PM:TTYD are the pinnacle of the franchise, and that's totally fine, but I never got around to playing those. I have, however, played this, and what a game. It's full of charm and wit with every line of dialogue, but it still manages to tell a captivating story with each chapter that actually pulled on my heartstrings a lot. Yeah, it's a pretty stark deviation from the rest of the series, but I don't think it's for the worst.

8. Kid Icarus Uprising- If you know anything about Kid Icarus you don't even have to read my explanation on this. Smash Bros may have revived Pit from 80s obscurity, but man, Sakurai and his team nursed him back to full Nintendo icon after that, just with this one game. The dialogue is memorable as hell, especially with the full voice acting, and the gameplay is awesome to me as well, even if the controls can be clunky. It still amazes me how much Team Sora did with so little, to the point where this series actually has a full-fledged fanbase.

7. Minecraft- I don't need to write a whole paragraph here. You can do whatever you want under an aesthetically soothing pixelated world, with a team behind it that continues to pour their heart and soul into it more than a decade after it launched. What more do you need?

6. Super Mario Odyssey- I've heard tons of things on how SM64 defined a generation and all, but after playing this game, I think I see it; Odyssey really feels like this generations SM64. I really how they can fit so many different missions into each small little kingdom, and I love how every kingdom has a distinct personality with its own unique inhabitants and culture, instead of being "grass world" "water world" "desert world". I found every one of the 880 moons in this game, and I loved every second of it because of just how much there was to do in it.

5. Pokemon Platinum- I wouldn't be on a Pokemon forum if I didn't have a Pokemon game on here. I'd love to have a lengthy paragraph here too, but this just comes down to nostalgia; this gen was my first Pokemon game, and I just really love coming back to Sinnoh. I will mention though that I distinctly prefer Platinum; Diamond/Pearl laid down the groundwork, but Platinum polished and refined it to the gem it is now.

4. Pokemon Black 2 and White 2- Yep, another one of these games. What can I say? I love the DS era of Pokemon. This came after Platinum, so of course the graphics have come quite a ways from then. But of course, I'd be remiss without mentioning the story. This has the best story of any Pokemon game, I feel, because it goes a lot deeper than most Pokemon stories usually go, and the characters just feel a lot more real. Just my opinion though. Also, for why I chose these over Black/White; B/W were fantastic, and B2/W2 would be nowhere without them. But B2/W2 just has everything B/W had and then some, as remakes tend to do; like Platinum, it took the groundwork and refined it even more, so I have to go with the remakes if given a choice.

2. Kirby Super Star Ultra- I have had this game for years now, and I just now finally 101% completed it. This game has so many different stories to choose from and modes to pick, with each story being distinctly and memorably different from one another. It slowly ramps up in difficulty with each mode though, so you naturally become better the more you play. This is a game that anyone can pick up, but takes dedication to master. If you keep coming back to it like I did though, you'll get there eventually.

1. Rhythm Heaven Megamix- To be honest, the Rhythm Heaven series as a whole can do no wrong in my eyes, but this one just takes the cake. This has over 100 little rhythm games to play through, and every last one will leave an impression on you, if only because of how WEIRD they are. Plucking hairs of onions and potatoes, charging up a chicken's electric car, controlling a robot who entered in a tango competition... they're all like this, and they're all fantastic. And this game goes above and beyond the standard rhythm heaven fare: it's got an actual story for once, it takes minigames from every entry in the franchise up to this point, it has a challenge mode for people looking to test their rhythm skills... it's got it all. And that's not even mentioning how much wit it's got; this game has actually made me laugh out loud at times, because of how bizarre it is, and how it embraces that with its dialogue. This game's probably not for everyone, and I understand that, but it IS for me and I will love it forever.

I'll maybe edit words in later

10. Pokepark Wii
9. Mario Kart Wii
8. Chrono Trigger
7. A Hat in Time
6. Kirby's Return to Dreamland
5. Okami
4. Super Mario Odyssey
3. Sonic Colors
2. Ori and the Blind Forest
1. PMD Explorers of Sky

PMD Rescue Team DX
Super Mario Galaxy
Ori and the Will of the Wisps (which I really need to finish)
Sonic Generations

Ok i'm not counting pokémon games here because that would take up the whole list.

10. | Ori and The Blind forest
9. | Super Lucky's Tale
8. | Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
7. | Super Smash Bros
6. |
Kirby - Planet Robobot
5. | Splatoon
4. | Miitopia
3. | Fire Emblem: Three Houses
2. | Minecraft
1. | Like every pokémon game ever except for pokemon go and mystery dungeon games.

And I really want to get a bunch of kingdom hearts games.

Last edited:
I think kirby, smash brothers, and animal crossing are some series I like a lot outside of pokemon :)

Out of the 3, i've played animal crossing the least, but i see the appeal in it a lot. Its refreshingly peaceful and super cute <3 thats a good series to get into in my book. Its probably great to have balance and not just play more fierce stuff all the time.

though i guess i can't help it.....most of the time, i rather just play loads of pokemon <333 so i tend to do that xD but pokemon can be peaceful and cute at times too :3 and pretty x3

A’ight, let’s do this! First things first: I limited myself to one game per franchise, otherwise the ranking would be pretty samey. Another thing: I split my top ten into two top fives, one for casual games and one for… uh, non-casual games? Formal games? Let’s call them that. Anyway, I did this because there’s no way I’d put a lengthy story-driven RPG in the same list as a quick-fix idle game with zero narrative and feel ok with it. Writing is a form of art, but that doesn’t mean that any text is an artwork – yet this doesn’t lessen the merits of good non-artistic texts either: they’re just two different things using the same medium. That’s why, while they’re two of the best books I’ve read, I would never put Watership Down and Digital Design: Principles and Practices in a same favourite books list – and the same goes for games, if that makes sense.
What also may be of notice is that I feel like many games I’m planning to play Soon™ may oust some on these lists, so this could get outdated quickly.
Egads, I’m just waffling at this point. Onto the list!

Casual games
5. Pyramid II (1990, NES)​
There’s no denying: Tetris is universally fun. Chuck it into the hands of any person and, no matter how unfamiliar they are with video games, they’ll be playing their boredom away in no time. It’s only natural, though, that one may reach a point where they’ve played so much Tetris that the game itself starts becoming a bit dull. I’ve reached that point. The remedy, for me, is Pyramid: it’s like Tetris, but the blocks are triangular and it’s bloody difficult. In fact, the first game in the series was unforgivingly difficult – the second entry introduced a difficulty curve that made it very fun and addictive. It feels like you’re playing Tetris for the first time again.​

4. Block Breaker Deluxe (2004, J2ME)​
Ok, I know this sounds absurd, but really. This is the best Breakout clone I’ve played, and it’s a delight! Silky-smooth gameplay, challenging physics, heaps of powerups and hazards, loads of levels, a rewarding post-game, a jammin’ soundtrack and a marvellous vaporwave aesthetic make this game a must-play (if you happen to like Breakout clones, that is). It was later ported to a lot of other systems including the Wii, but the ports are inferior – the Nintendo DS one specially suffers from an infuriatingly cramped screen that requires ninja reflexes to get past the most basic of levels, and that’s coming from what’s originally a Java phone game. The sequels are also a massive downgrade, being no more than average shovelware.​

3. Crazy Daisy (2005, PalmOS)​
I’ll admit that my inclusion of this game is partly due to nostalgia. I grew up with a Palm Z22 (long story) and I can’t count how many hours I spent spinning daisies and making humongous chains. I can hear its Palm-y beeps and screeches inside my head, that’s how much I played it. I found out it can be emulated like last week or so, and it’s every bit as fun as I remebered it. Apparently it was also out on iOS at one point, but I believe it was delisted from the store together with the other 32-bit applications.​

2. Taiko Drum Master (2005, PS2)​
I’m a sucker for good rhythm games and me being terrible at them doesn’t stop the arcade from draining all my pocket money. When I found out that I could play the exact same game at home with a much larger and better roster, I dusted off my PS2, burned my CD-Rs, shelled out some cash and bought a second-hand tatacon from eBay. Sure, beating that tiny plastic thing is not the same as drumming your worries away at the gigantic arcade taiko, but where else could you drum to the rhythm of YMCA and I’m a Slave 4 U while burly cartoon dogs dance and flex on the screen, for free? Not at the arcade, I tell you. There are other games in the series for later consoles and even on the PS4 and Switch, but I heard that the Switch version ditched the tatacon add-on for crappy joycon motion controls that never get your beats right. I picked Taiko Drum Master as my fave because of its pop-laden roster (tip: the Japanese version has better exclusives than the American), but Wai Wai Happy Rokudaime is a close second.​

1. Clubhouse Games (2005, NDS)​
Yeah, yeah, I know, this is almost cheating, but I love card games and this collection has a great collection of those with a well-balanced AI and nice multiplayer features if you’re able to convince your friends to play a card game on the NDS. I mean, I use it almost exclusively to play koi koi, but still, the other games are there.​

• Puzzle Uo Poko (1998, arcade): Bust-A-Move, only upside-down, non-sticky and fun.
  • Bubble Bobble (1986, arcade): It’s Bubble Bobble, dammit. FM Towns port is best port.
  • Chack’n Pop (1983, arcade): Fun maze puzzler. No perfect ports, Sharp X1 comes close.

~Formal~ games
5. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (2005, NDS)​
This shouldn’t need an explanation. Best visual novel ever. Also, NaruMitsu is best ship :3​

4. Pokémon X (2013, 3DS)​
Of course there’d be a Pokémon game somewhere here lol. Kalos is a beautiful region, Lumiose City is awesome and the game has compelling characters and a nice storyline. I have a feeling that once I get to play Alpha Sapphire I’ll end up liking it more, but as it stands, X is my fave Pokémon game.​

3. Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (1997, PSX)​
This game is just great. The good folks at Namco masterfully used the PSX’s limitations to their advantage and made an immersive, whimsical environment that the Wiimake couldn’t reproduce in the slightest. The soundtrack is simply incredible, the voice acting is on point (and in a conlang, so no undub is needed), but most importantly, the story packs a punch and leaves you spinning, and you would never guess it by looking at the cover and/or playing the first level. If you never played it and never heard of the plot, hear my advice: don’t look it up, just go and play it. They say spoilers expire after 20 years, so avoiding them is not an easy task. There’s also the aforementioned remake on the Wii, but it is simply dreadful, and another remake on the Switch due to release Soon™.​

2. Undertale (2015, Windows)​
Once again, shouldn’t need an explanation. I won’t deny that someone may have been cutting onions in the ending. I feel like, once it’s fully released, Deltarune has the potential to be even better, though. Also, Chara/Asriel is best ship :3​

1. OneShot (2016, Windows)​
And here we reach the pinnacle. OneShot is in many ways like Undertale, only it takes everything up to eleven: here, you as the player are literally part of the game, as in, the playable character, a messiah in the in-game world, which is as foreign to you as it is for them, actually turns to you – their god – for guidance, and you have some limited interactivity options. The world is sprawling and beautifully rendered in pixel art. The characters are highly vivid and compelling, consistently managing to make you feel like you’re actually talking to living beings. The gameplay consists solely of open-world puzzles and quests, and they not once feel contrived. The entire world is a breathing mystery that you slowly unravel together with Niko, your ingame companion… and, in the end of the game, you get virtually punched in the gut with, for the first time ever, (spoiler-ish) the power of real decision, with disastrous consequences. And, when you think the game has just ended… turns out you’re actually smack in the middle of it. A true masterpiece to rub on the face of whoever says videogames can’t be art. It should be of note that this game has a previous version running on a different engine that was released for free years before, but with a quite different story – I only played the commercial version.​

• Pocky & Rocky 2 (1994, SNES): Cute top-down shoot-’em-up. You’re a shrine maiden.
  • Drill Dozer (2005, GBA): Pierce everything like butter and feel the console rumble furiously.
  • Sheep, Dog ‘n’ Wolf (2001, PSX): Every bit as challenging as it was twelve years ago.
  • Idol Hakkenden (1989, NES): Sarcastic visual novel. Unfortunately, the franchise’s dead for 30 years.

That ended up way longer than expected lol sorry folks

EDIT: Grammar

Last edited:
Here is a list with a minor amount of words for explanation

10. Disgaea 5 Complete: I love to get big damage numbers and also grind endlessly for a copy of a fancy spear just to make my OC powerful
9. The Beginner's Guide: This game personally came to my house and punched me in the face with emotions. I have only played it once and it continues to stick in my head
8. Doki Doki Literature Club: I loved the concept and execution of this game so much that I datamined it in its earlier days.
7. Animal Crossing New Horizons: Thank you Nintendo for giving me social interaction in these modern times.
6. SUPERHOT: It's the most innovative shooter I've played in years
5. Splatoon 2: Spicy Calamari Inkantation is one of the best songs in a video game, and I love the motion controls
4. The World Ends With You: Unlike a lot of games I play, I went into this one almost completely blind (only knowing one of the many twists) and this game also personally came to my house and punched me in the face with emotions.
3. Portal 2: Everything about this game is absolutely on point and I love it. GLaDOS is one of my favorite video game characters. Also I may or may not possess a sizable collection of miniature turrets
2. Kirby Super Star (+ Ultra): Marx is my favorite Kirby character and Marx will always be my favorite Kirby character and I may or may not have cried with joy when he was added to Star Allies and was added as a Smash boss. This game (Ultra) was one of the top games of my childhood and I'm glad that I get to play the original on my Switch.
1. Kirby Air Ride: I played this game as a child and I still play it now. It's that good

I don't know how to sort it, but I think my top 10 favourite games (/game series) would be these ones:
  • Danganronpa
  • Zero Escape (there is no Zero Time Dilemma)
  • Ace Attorney
  • Pokémon Mystery Dungeon
  • Harvest Moon (the old ones)/Stardew Valley
--- everything below this line is stuff I really really like but don't feel right calling favourites but also I need 10 and I can't remember what video games exist ---
  • Ghost Trick
  • Fire Emblem (the old ones)
Uh... tbh I'm out of stuff unless I wanna go to the third tier of favourites, which would probably include like...
  • Tales of Symphonia
  • Pokemon Colosseum/XD
  • Pokemon Conquest

does anyone else find it incredibly difficult to resist clicking on spoilers labelled MAJOR SPOILER DEATH LURKS INSIDE MORTALS BEWARE OR YE SHALL PERISH

too lazy/don't really know how to rank 100%. i guess lower is "stuff i love more"
i feel inexplicably embarrassed by this list rn so. here is to vulnerability tbh.
  • pokemon ruby (this was the first pokegame i played)
  • pharaoh (this 1999 citybuilder that i played w my dad as a child. lol)
  • FE8
  • age of empires (another Father game tbqh)
  • professor layton and the unwound future
  • FE13
  • danganronpa series
  • FE15 (yes. i could have just written "fire emblem series." what are you gonna do about it)
  • pokemon platinum (this was the first pokemon game i owned, i love this mf)
  • pmd sky <3333
+ honorable mention doki doki lit club and the first professor layton game

Last edited:
I don't get the chance to play a lot of video games, so my list is going to be considerably shorter than everyone else's :P

Kororinpa (2007)
This is a fairly obscure but very creative Wii title where you have to roll a marble around a maze by tilting the maze with motion controls. The stages have a really cute aesthetic and relaxing music, but the later ones are designed so you have to do difficult and dangerous things to complete them. I spent a lot of time playing it when I was little.

Pokemon White (2011)
We all know this one. This introduced me to Pokemon, and it's still one of my favourites today. I think it contributed a lot to the series and its risky choices - such as only having Unova Pokemon and the more urban setting - make it different, in a good way.

Ayakashi Ghost Guild
A now-defunct gacha game about summoning ghosts and spirits - primarily figures from Japanese mythology - to help you battle. The art was pretty; characters were distinctive and had myths and legends for backstories with silly anime takes on them. Like most mobile games, PvP was absolutely brutal, but fighting to the death over seal stones to revive a powerful demon just added to the vibe, you know? Unlike most mobile games, it was more fair to free players than most, by giving players daily free summons and a lot of gifts.

It was briefly revived as Otogi Spirit Agents, but that was shut down too, so this game is gone forever now...

Honourable Mentions
I haven't actually played the majority of games I like. When I was younger my friends would lend me their copies for a while, or I'd watch playthroughs to find out more about these.

Fire Emblem Awakening (2013) & Fire Emblem Fates (2016)
Fire Emblem defined my middle/high school years, thanks to these two games. I loved the small amount of Awakening my friend let me play and constantly discussed the characters and story. I also used to lurk the Fire Emblem Fates GameFAQs boards, where a lot of drama went down, let's just say. There was a constant atmosphere of rumour and hype over the details of the upcoming game, with people uploading and overanalysing sloppily-translated dialogue from the Japanese version to Pastebin. I saved up my pocket money just to buy it... and was extremely disappointed with the lacklustre dating sim that was Fates.

Enchanted Folk and School of Wizardry (2008)
Another game my friend lent me. It was very similar to Animal Crossing, but had a much more paranormal bent and its own distinctive vibe. I spent most of my time catching bugs and/or splurging on decorations for my character's room. Seems to be rather overlooked.

Terra Battle (2014)
A puzzle-like mobile RPG made by staff from the Final Fantasy team. Like modern mobile games, you get characters of various rarities through a gacha system, and level them up through battle. What stood out about this game, to me, was it lack of focus on PvP and its well-designed, almost puzzle-like battle system. I didn't get to play it for long, but I liked what I saw.

Oh man, favorite video games! To be honest, I don't think many (if any) of my childhood favorites are making it on this list. In the last few years (basically since graduating college and kind of having time for video games again), I've discovered so, so many new games and found out there's a lot more that I like than my previous experience of like, strictly Nintendo stuff.

Also ugh, why didn't I (or why can't I find) an old post of my favorite video games >:( I want to compare my favorites then to my favorites now and see ~how far I've come~

In no particular order (maybe I'll describe them more later but right now eh):
  • Stardew Valley
  • Subnautica
  • The Talos Principle
  • Hollow Knight
  • Okami
  • Undertale
  • OneShot
  • Oxygen Not Included
Honorable mentions that I really liked but probably won't replay often or don't obsess over as much:
  • Ori and the Blind Forest
  • Don't Starve/Don't Starve Together
And for some reason, I'm having a hard time actually listing non-pc games next to all the others so here's a non-pc honorable mention list? (edit: I wonder if I'm struggling to list them with my top favorites because as much as I like old games, I don't actually much like playing on old consoles? the DS hurts my hands now and the wii/gamecube take forever to hook up to my tv and I can't sit in a good spot.)
  • The World Ends With You
  • Tales of Symphonia
  • Baroque
  • Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
I feel like this list is incomplete...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom