• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Frontier Town Sanctum of Wishes

Jackie Cat

A cat who writes stories.
Heartache staff
Pronoun
they or she
Not all wishes are for power, love, or wealth. Most wishes are silent, private prayers, asking for peace, safety, a little comfort on a hard day.

Light filtered through paper streamers and danced on sandstone walls. Like most shrines to the Saints, the Sanctum of Wishes was not a church, and had no priest to proselytise, or scripture to study. All that the acolytes of the Wishing Star asked of visitors was that they be respectful and mindful of one another. A 'mon could come here to make an offering, meditate or pray in peace, receive basic counsel and comfort, or even sleep under a roof if they had no other. The acolytes even served tea and soup, free of charge.

The sanctum sat adjacent to Frontier Town's central plaza, flanked by Frontier Hall and the bank. Its construction matched that of the other institutional buildings in the area, but visually, its arched doorways and patterned mosaics set it apart. Small paper tags and small ornaments hung from its eaves and beams, inscribed with the private wishes of visiting pokémon. Outside, colourful streamers stirred gently in the wind. Inside, candles were frequently lit, and a highly-stylised, figurative statue of the Wishing Star was set among them, along with various small offerings. A few rugs and cushions were scattered for those who wish to sit.

Visitors could be regulars, passers-by, or there on a whim. Whatever their reasons for being there, they were all welcome to write their wishes, light candles, or simply sit quietly. Some brought offerings or donations, received gratefully by one of the sanctum's acolytes. These caretakers also kept the grounds clean, tended to the candles, and asked quiet visitors whether there was anything they might need.

A small family of Chimecho and Chingling lived in the chapel's loft, and one would often sound off softly whenever someone entered or left the sanctum. It was a tradition – it meant, whatever you're going through, someone sees you.

<><><><><>​

Ch01: Finding Sanctuary [Koa Solo]
The sun had long since set, and the moon and stars had risen as Koa trod down the nearly empty streets of Frontier Town. His talk with Leaf had left him feeling slightly better, but he still felt a fog of unease lingering around him. A fog that had persisted since the day he’d arrived.

It’ll go away, he’d told himself. Except it hadn’t. What if he wasn't cut out for this?

Eventually, his steps carried him to the destination he sought. Everywhere else was too far to check out, but he’d read about Frontier Town’s ‘Sanctum of Wishes’ and been desperate to see it himself. With the sky clear and the gala approaching, he decided tonight was as good as any.

He hesitated before the door, before finally gathering up the courage to step inside. Soft chimes met his ears before lapsing back into a pleasant silence. It felt both alien and familiar, in a way. The sanctum appeared to be mostly empty on this night, so Koa slowly approached the front. He lingered awkwardly for a moment, wondering if he had any right to be here, if he should bow, or say some kind of special prayer.

Finally, he opted to lay down on one of the small cushions, trying to soak in the peaceful atmosphere and sort through the churning fears that consumed his thoughts. “Hey,” he said softly. How was he supposed to do this? He couldn’t help being reminded of... He shook the thought away, and sighed softly. Nobody was listening.

“I don’t have a wish, really, I just wanted to come see... There’s stories of wishes in my world, and how they can be kind of dangerous...” What are you even rambling about? “I guess I just figured I could come here and talk. Back home, we have pokemon called ‘legendary pokemon.’” He gazed up at decorated eaves. It seemed he wasn’t the only pokemon looking for some guidance. “They help protect the world. Guide people and pokemon, and watch over them. A lot like you I think.”

Idiot. Stupid. Why would a saint of another world care about someone like you? She has better things to do. He almost walked away, but he could practically hear his team chiding him. Might as well... At least he could try and sort out his thoughts. Just like talking to his team back home, right?

“Someone sent us here to help this world, a lot of us. A team of sorts, I guess. Except we don’t know what we’re saving it from. I’m worried about our team. Everyone seems to be doing different things. We’re divided. And tomorrow there’s an important gala. There’s supposed to be an attack by some criminals, and it feels like half of us are siding with them, and the other with the mayor. Who wants them dead or alive..”

Execute. That was what the chimera had said. Was he exaggerating? He couldn’t bear the idea of some petty criminal being killed like that but... How many times had he seen evil acts justified by ‘noble’ intentions? Gangs that started small and became something malevolent. A perfect world. But then the mayor wasn’t much better either, was he? If it was ture, he must have had a vendetta. Revenge.

Dread and confusion pooled heavily in Koa’s gut. “Should we even step in?” he asked the question out loud, almost unconsciously. This wasn’t their world. Maybe this wasn’t even importa— he cut the thought off immediately. No. It was important. That wasn’t the issue, the issue was how to help. “I want to help this world but I’m worried I’ll make things so much worse.” You don't belong here.

Koa snorted and smiled slightly to himself. “I didn’t really think about it back home, but is this how saints like you feel? Is it hard to decide how to help? When I got the call I thought...” he traced a claw across the cushion. What had he thought? A lot of things. A chance to make a difference. To be a hero. To help someone. “I thought it would be some kind of disaster, or angry legendaries, or bad people. Some big thing we would have to stop. If it's not though, I still want to help.”

Some of the knot in his chest loosened. “I don’t know what that looks like yet, but... I can’t predict the future.” He gazed up at the statue of the Wishing Star. “Whatever happens tomorrow, I’m going to try to stop anything bad from happening.” I just hope it’s enough.

Silence lingered for a few more moments as Koa reflected. It was getting pretty late now. He rose to his paws, but didn’t move. Something else gnawed at him, a feeling he could nail down. He wanted to... “Hey. So I don’t know if you’re uh, there. But if you are, is there anything you’d like?” It was stupid. This was the ‘Wishing Star’, why would she need anything? She had a whole sanctum, after all. What can someone like you possibly give? “I don’t know if I can get anything or if you care but if there is, you can send me a sign. I could bring you something.”

Silence. Not that he expected an answer. Still, he felt more of the fog fade from his mind. Turning away resolutely, he started for the exit. He walked a few steps before turning to look over his shoulder. “If by some chance you are there... thanks for listening.”

<><><>​

Last edited:
Ch02: On the Trail of Legends
The Sanctum of Wishes... One of the few public locations honoring a Legendary in this region. Given the lore, it wasn't likely there'd be any leads--supposedly, it was normal for Jirachi to sleep for a thousand years. There wasn't exactly much hope in meeting it here.

Still, he'd known that Zapdos was gone, and it had been worth it to visit that shrine. So he'd be making a stop in Frontier Town as well.

The sanctum was empty when he arrived, aside from the Chimecho echoing softly in the rafters. Maybe there would be more visitors soon, though.

The Sanctum had cemented itself in Koa's mind as his favorite place around Frontier Town (aside from the library, which was a given). It was the one spot he generally felt like he could be at ease with his thoughts, and not be bothered by anyone else. The rare few times he did see other travelers, they at least weren't pestering anyone. It made for a nice escape.

Tonight though, he'd mainly come for the sake of Steven and Laura. They'd both expressed a curiosity to see the Sanctum themselves and he offered to accompany them. He led the way up to the entrance, taking a moment to soak in the peaceful ambience.

Steven was glad to see that Koa looked far more healthy today. He was also glad his new acquaintance had suggested they visit the Sanctum of Wishes. They could both use a place to rest body and mind, and the sanctum was a surprisingly peaceful spot nestled in the bustling heart of Frontier Town.

There was a certain kind of nostalgia when the chimecho tinkled overhead as they entered. To most, the sound should have been soothing, but for reasons Steven couldn't quite place, he was struck with the faintest sense of sorrow instead.

The feeling quickly left him, though, replaced by the calm, quiet atmosphere of the sanctum.

The party would notice, once they were inside, that they weren't the only visitors today. Sitting off to the side was a Grovyle with a travel bag at his feet, holding a small notebook. Every so often he'd glance up at the light filtering down through the numerous paper tags hanging from the rafters before looking down at his book and writing something down. It seemed like he was quite absorbed in his work, and might not even notice their arrival.

The sanctum may have been quiet, but it wasn't empty. Steven took notice of the grovyle with a notebook, and gave Koa a small nudge.

"I haven't met everyone in our group yet," he whispered to both of his companions, sending a quick glance towards the grass type. "Are they with us?"

Koa eyed the Grovyle for a long moment. Not a face he remembered from around the gala, or from around town. He shrugged, replying in a low voice. "Doesn't look familiar." He glanced at Laura, who seemed more keen eyed than her did. "I don't think I've seen him around town. Laura?"

Laura shook her head, ears flicking anxiously.

"No. We have one treecko – Mhynt. Female, paler colouration. Also, I don't think any of us have evolved yet."

She looked around the Sanctum, mentally comparing it to chapels and churches back home. Floor-seating and decorations hand-crafted by visitors made this place rather more homely, as did the lower ceilings. She wondered if they served tea here, like some faith traditions did in her world...

She could use something comforting and warm given everything there was to feel fucking dreadful about. Koa and Steven had been too polite to bring up the Terminal Two mission, but they were surely thinking about it. Until someone raised it, she'd just stew in her own guts, wondering just how badly it had gone, and why, and what everyone thought about it. About her.

As if she could have planned for what happened.

"Let's go take a seat and get comfy," she said, quietly.

She found a comfy-looking rug and a cushion to lean into, and found herself kneading at it with her claws. She flicked her tail in embarrassment and hoped nobody'd noticed.

"Um, please excuse us," she said to the Grovyle sitting over to the side. "We'll try not to disturb you while you're working. Have you seen any acolytes around this morning...?"

Last edited:
Grovyle blinked a few times, as if he were coming out of a trance. He stretched his arms behind his back, dark leaves rustling with the motion, before turning in the direction of the voice.

"They were preparing some things when I arrived, but I told them I didn't need anything. I haven't seen them since they went into the back room over there," he said, gesturing with his claws. Whether he hadn't seen them because they hadn't come out or because he'd been lost in his own world was unclear.

He eyed the three visitors, as if he were trying to see more of them than just their appearance. "Do you visit this place often?" he asked, his expression hard to make out.

Laura laughed self-consciously. "We've only been in town about a week and a half. This is actually our first time visiting the sanctum."

She glanced over at the back room, wondering whether to just wait for the acolytes, or to go knock, or something. She could smell soup. Soup would be good.

"How about you?" she added, to Grovyle. "Are you a local?"

Grovyle closed his eyes with a small smile. "Ah, no. I traveled here from out-of-town to see the sanctum. I had hoped there would be more writings about the Wishing Star, maybe some historical records..." He trailed off, looking thoughtfully up at the streamers hanging over them. "I'm interested in the legends of this region, but it's difficult to find solid information."

Koa's eyes widened slightly, excitement rising in him. Someone else interested in legends? He bit back his excitement on instinct, speaking carefully. "I visited here before," he said. "But like she said, we haven't been in town very long, so we're still new. Although I'm also... intrigued by the legends here." Extremely intrigued, but he didn't want to sound like an overeager idiot in front of a stranger.

"I learned a little from the library in town," he added. "Have you had a chance to see the z- Stormbringer Shrine?"

Steven followed Laura's lead, gently tucking his claws beneath himself and lowering onto a nearby cushion. He eyed her briefly. Was that a glimpse of something pensive in her expression?

But the look disappeared as they chatted with the grovyle, who apparently, was somewhat like them.

"Legends of this region? What region do you call home, then?" he asked.

Grovyle's eyes lit up slightly at Koa's question--it was subtle, but noticeable if you were paying attention. "I have. Not very long ago, in fact. It was enlightening... if unfortunate." He put a claw to his chin. "Truthfully, I'd had my suspicions that the Stormbringer was gone, though. I know information doesn't travel as fast in Sojaveña as it does back east, but no sightings in centuries? It's just too unlikely. Especially compared to the Cyclone."

He nodded toward Steven. "I'm currently studying archaeology in Landsverd. But most of the published writings are... frustratingly incomplete. There's not of information published on the knowledge of the clans that lived before the Commonwealth was founded. That's why I've been doing a bit of field research on the frontier."

The Cyclone. Laura had seen some mention of cyclones in the paper. She'd been skimming. Had that been another epithet for a legendary?

"I've noticed academia is a little—" nineteenth century "—lacking, on the topic of indigineous cultures," she offered. "It's good that you're filling in the gaps. I've not, ah, met any members of the Escarpa or any other clans, yet, but I've been wondering if I could learn more about them if I went to them in person."

She unconsciously signed [nice to meet you] with her paws. "I'm Laura. These guys are Steven... and Koa. What's your name?"

Koa decided not to bring up his full name for now. There was a familiar spark in Ralsen's eyes, one that drew Koa in. Perhaps a kindred spirit. "The Cyclone?" he asked curiously. "I-We're from out of town. I remember reading about the Cyclone, but I don't know a lot about it. I'd love to hear about what you know." He kept his voice reigned in but his curiosity was quickly spiking. If Ralsen had come from further away then he probably knew way more than the library did.

Steven sent Laura a small smile as thanks for the introduction before dipping his head towards the grovyle. "Well met, Ralsen."

Admittedly, he was curious about Ralsen's exploits in the field, but he didn't want to overwhelm the poor fellow considering they'd interrupted his musings.

He listened thoughtfully at the mention of an entity named The Cyclone. He'd seen the name mentioned while reading up on the Sun's Ward faith, but knew precious little else. It seemed Koa was just as intrigued about it himself.

"I-We're from out of town. I remember reading about the Cyclone, but I don't know a lot about it. I'd love to hear about what you know."
Ralsen couldn't miss the boy's curiosity. "I haven't seen him yet. Not that it would've gone well for me if I had--like the name implies, he's supposed to be a whirlwind of destruction that only appears if someone thinks they can rival his strength. There are a lot of tales of fallen towns attributed to him, though nothing actually confirmed, so I'm a bit skeptical there. It seems like he's not necessarily revered by the Escarpa, but certainly respected by them."

I've not, ah, met any members of the Escarpa or any other clans, yet, but I've been wondering if I could learn more about them if I went to them in person."
Ralsen nodded to her. "I had the same thought. They might know more about why so many legends seem to be gone from this region. Of course, easier said than done," he added with a chuckle. "I've studied the art of battling but I'm afraid I don't have much hands-on experience yet."

Back
Top Bottom