• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

In Progress Battle Cry

This is an original story. Thought I might post it on here for feedback.

My most sincere apologies go to Mandarin and French speakers. My knowledge of both languages is rather limited.

February 16, 2237
TO THE PEOPLES OF THE WORLD:

As citizens of this planet, we must always remember that our resources are not unlimited. As a human species, we are outgrowing this planet, overtaxing her soil for food, and overtaxing her waters for drink. While recent advances in technology have slightly lessened our impact, nothing can lessen the cause of such burden on our planet: the constant growth of the human population. However, we, the Central Powers, hereby propose a solution, effective on March 14, 2237:

All young men and women from the age of fifteen until the age of twenty, will be under the custody of the Central Powers. There, they will participate in a “survival of the fittest”- type competition, one on one. Those who win ten fights (either by surrender or with the death of the opponent) will be set free. Those who are unable to win ten fights by their twentieth birthday will be executed.

Only those who will be fifteen on or after March 14, 2237 are affected by this decision. Compliance is necessary. All who resist will be executed where they stand.

With this solution in place, we expect the world population to be down to manageable levels by 2302. At that time, we will reevaluate this decision.

THE CENTRAL POWERS

Please note: This statement was translated into English for your convenience. The official languages of the Central Powers are Mandarin, French, and German. If you wish to contact your Central Powers Consulate, please communicate in either Mandarin, French, or German. For those lacking skills in any of those languages, translators and courses are available free of charge at the Consulate's office. Thank you for your cooperation!

Battle Cry
Part 1, Chapter 1

May 29, 2491

It was my fifteenth birthday, a day that I absolutely dreaded. The day I would be taken to those dreaded Battles. I knew very little about them, and my parents were forbidden to give me any advice or training for the event. The only thing I knew was that I had to fight, and win at least ten by my twentieth birthday. Winning in this case meant I either killed my opponent or they surrendered. Needless to say, I wasn't looking forward to this. I had barely finished my dinner Mom had prepared for me when the bus arrived at my house.

“Darren, the bus.” Mom called. Her voice seemed grim.

“Wait, I need to pack.” I called back, starting up the stairs to my room.

“No, they'll have everything you need there. Just please, when you're out there, don't do anything stupid. I want you back home.” Mom had said the same thing to Kyle, my brother, two years ago. He still hasn't come back, and the last thing we heard, he had won two fights by killing his opponent, one fight via surrender, and he had surrendered in four fights. That was two months after he had began his Battles.

The bus honked. It was one of those old buses: very dingy on the outside, and in fact it still had wheels. I wouldn't be surprised if it still ran on gas. I could even see a few bloodstains on the sides. I opened the front door and walked slowly out to the bus. I turned around and waved goodbye to my mom, who looked away. Once the bus door opened, the metallic smell of blood hit me like a brick wall.

“Vous êtes le seul à monter à cet arrêt?” The bus driver asked. I couldn't make any of it out, as I hadn't taken enough French to really say much more than my name.

“Je... non.... parler... le... française...” I stammered, gesturing as much as I could just in case the driver couldn't understand me.

“I said, are you the only one getting on here?” At least his German was good.

“I think so.” I replied. I worked my way to an empty seat in the back of the bus, which was completely empty.

“And what is your name?”

“Darren Abernathy.”

“Oh, and your French... it needs a lot of work. You said “I no to speak the male French woman.” It's supposed to be “Je ne parle pas français.” Just say that if one of the staff starts speaking French, got it?” The driver said as the bus started moving.

“Yeah, sure.” Great. So this potentially scarring event started out with a French lesson. There goes my hopes of ever learning French. I walked towards the back of the bus, sitting down in the back row of seats. Besides me and the driver, the bus was empty.

There was a silence until the bus stopped at my friend's house. We were born on the same day, and we even looked similar. Our parents even called us “the twins” because of this. After a few minutes of waiting, I saw my friend, Alan, step onto the bus. At least he got questioned in German.

“Hey, dude.” Alan said as if everything was completely normal.

“Hey.” I replied, equally nonchalant.

“So, you ready for this?”

“Eh, I guess. About as ready as I'll ever be.”

“Well, Kyle's doing well, right?” Even though we were best friends, we avoided this subject at all costs, just in case something happened.

“We haven't gotten anything back. Well, one report two months after he'd started. He had only won three fights.” I stated.

“And how many kills did he land?” Alan said, a smile forming on his face.

“Two. The other surrendered.”

“Heh. I want to get ten. It's more glorious that way, y'know?” This was the one thing that we never could agree on. Alan had some rather violent tendencies. We even acted out our own Battles when we were younger. He won every time, even sending me to the hospital with a broken arm once. That was part of the reason I dreaded this day so much. If I couldn't handle a stick flying at me, how would I be able to handle a sword?

“Well, I just want to get through. Glory aside, a win's a win.” I sighed. The bus lurched to another stop, this time letting on a girl. She sat next to us, with a smug grin on her face.

“Nǐ zhǔnbèi hǎo, wǒ shāle nǐ ma? Bùyào dǎ tā, nǐ zhīdào huì fāshēng shénme. Bié dānxīn, wǒ huì jìnlì
shǐ qí jǐn kěnéng wútòng. Méiyǒu chéngnuò.”
The girl smiled as she turned around.

“Sorry, we don't understand Mandarin.” Alan said, in German.

“Wǒ bù zhīdào déguó.” The girl said.

“We don't understand Mandarin.” Alan repeated, this time in English.

“And I was saying I don't understand German.” The girl said, sounding almost offended. After a short silence, the girl glared at us, as if she was judging our fighting skills. Then she smiled smugly. “I'm Rachel Elliot. I suppose its nice to know the name of your killer, isn't it?”

“Who says you'll be killing us? I'd be willing to bet that the exact opposite is going to happen.” Alan said, his eyes narrowing. “And I guess you should know the name of your killer: Alan Matthews. It's a pleasure to meet you, Rachel.”

Rachel turned to face me. “And you? Your name?”

“Darren Abernathy.” I weakly said.

“Hm. Well, I look forward to fighting you. Just be ready to die.” Rachel turned around, looking out the window.

The bus came to another stop, this time letting on two people, a boy and a girl, obviously twins. They both sat across from Rachel.

“Nín hǎo, jiàn sìliào.” Rachel sneered.

“Wǒ xīwàng nǐ míngbái, wǒ jiǎng pǔtōnghuà.” The male twin said back with the same tone of voice.

“Ń, wǒ xiǎng zhè hěn hǎo. Huì bù huì dāng nǐ zài liúxuè de zhànchǎng shàng.” Rachel laughed back.

The two kept talking as Alan turned to the girl. “Hey, do you know what they are saying?”

“It's just smack talk.” She turned to her brother, nudging him. “Hey, save the talk for the Battles, alright?”

“Oh, I'm so very sorry.” Rachel sneered. “Well, as I told these two before, I am a civil person, and I wouldn't deny you the right to know your killer's name. It's Rachel Elliot.”

“Oh?” The girl grinned. “That's cute. However, I have a feeling I know who's going to be doing the killing.” The girl turned to me, smiling. “Sizing up your competition, huh? Notice any weak points yet?”

“W-What?” I stammered, surprised. “No! I wouldn't be surprised if I was the first to die out of all of us. I can't even win a play fight with sticks!”

Alan laughed. “It's true. I broke his arm once.”

“This is going to be easier than I thought.” Rachel laughed. “Poor guy. You won't last one fight.”

“Can we just stop talking about this? I just don't want to think about it until we get to the Battlegrounds.” I said frantically.

“Heh, well, it's going to be all you can think about for the next five years, might as well start now.” The boy said to me.

“Landon. Please. He doesn't want to think about this, alright?” The girl interjected.

“Michele, you don't know him. Besides, you might have to kill him later. Or he could kill you. Don't get attached.” The boy responded.

“I'm not getting attached, stupid. It's called being a decent human being.” Michele retorted.

The bus came to another stop, this time at a rather large gate.

“These are all the May twenty- ninths from Area six. No executions. No resistance. Seems to be a little rivalry going on though.” The driver called out the window. The gate slowly opened, revealing a courtyard, with several tall buildings scattered around a central tower. Each building looked like it was at least 40 stories tall, and the central tower looked to be at least one hundred stories tall.

The driver got out of his seat. “Welcome to the Battlegrounds.” The driver announced, repeating himself in Mandarin right afterward. “Head up to the computer and give it your name. Follow the directions from there.”

We all filed out of the bus, heading towards the computer, a thin pillar, with a very small screen.

“Please select your preferred language.” The voice said, in English. I touched the panel to select German.

“State your name.” The voice replied.

“Darren Abernathy.”

“Thank you.” The computer replied after a short pause. “Please take your identification card, printed below the screen. You will be housed in room number 332242, located in Barrack number three, on the thirty- second floor. You have one roommate, Alan Matthews, who has yet to arrive. Records indicate that he should be arriving shortly. Please wait for him. Good luck in your Battles!”

I took my ID card, a plain white card with an extremely long number printed on it. I waited for Alan to finish with the computer.

“Hey, man. Looks like we've got the same room.” Alan said. “Well, the computer said to go straight there. So do you know where Barrack three is?”

“Well, I suppose there would be signs for it somewhere.” I replied, looking around. Eventually I saw the sign for our building. We made our way to the building, entering it through large glass doors. The first floor was very plain: almost no decoration, and several doors lined each wall. The back wall had many elevator doors, as well as stairs.

“Hey, you two!” Someone called. We looked around, finding the source of the voice to be a young man, dressed in steel armor. He had a sword sheathed at his hip. “You're new here, aren't you?”

“Yeah, we just got here.” Alan replied.

“Ah. Well, it's nice to meet you. I'm Arlen. I'm one of the head residents of Three.” The young man smiled.

“Why are you dressed like that?” I asked.

“Well, I was going to go train a little bit, but that can wait. My next fight isn't for a few days anyway. What floor do you live on?”

“Um, thirty- two.” I replied.

“Ah. Well, it just happens that I am one of the Head Residents on that floor. Let's get you two oriented. Follow me.” Arlen walked towards the elevators.

Alan stepped forward. “So, Arlen. Tell me, how many fights have you been in?”

“Twenty- eight.”

“And how have you not won ten yet?”

“Well, they've changed the rules. Surrenders don't count as wins anymore. Only kills count. So by these rules, I've won seven fights. By your rules, I've won nineteen. We'll cover the specifics later.”

We entered the elevator. Arlen scanned his card and the elevator started going up. Within a few seconds, the door opened on our floor. Arlen led the way to his room. He scanned his card again, and the door opened.

“Shit, that was fast.” A voice said, laughing.

“Well, I've got some fresh blood.” Arlen replied. He drew his sword, placing it into a slot in the wall. “What are you two waiting for? Come on in.”

Alan and I stepped into the room. It was rather small, but still could fit two people comfortably.

“Hey. So you guys are the new ones, eh? Well, it's nice to meet you. I'm Gavin. Now, we need to get you guys settled in. Can I have your ID cards?”

Alan and I handed Gavin our cards. Gavin took them over to a computer, scanning them in.

“Alright. It says here that you two are starting your Survival in three days.” Gavin said.

“Huh? We have to fight in three days?” I asked in shock.

“No. This is different. They actually don't tell anyone about this part. You'll be put out in the woods in groups of six. All you need to do is survive for two weeks. However, if any of you die out there, the group will lose one chance to surrender. So if only five of you guys live, you can't surrender during a single fight. You'll be told which fight this applies to. You also need to stay in a group for the full two weeks. Any combatants that stray from the group will count as dead, and will not be brought back here.” Gavin paused for a second, looking at the computer screen. “I can't pull up the names of the people that you are paired with, but it's safe to say that you rode the bus on the way here with your group.”

“Fuck, looks like we're dealing with that Rachel bitch.” Alan groaned.

“Who?” Arlen smiled.

“This girl, she's all talk. She's just trying to intimidate us.” I replied calmly.

“Yeah, some people are like that. Then they actually have to deal with a blade, and they are clueless. Usually some of the first to die. But there are the rare ones where they actually do have something to brag about.” Arlen replied. “Well, we still have stuff to go over. Now, you two are going to need a weapon. There's a shop where you can have one made in the Courtyard. They can explain everything regarding weaponry there much better than I can.” Arlen laughed. “I just swing 'em around.”

“Any questions so far?” Gavin asked.

“Yeah, what do we do about food? I'm freaking starving.” Alan replied.

“Your parents didn't make you dinner?” I asked, slightly surprised.

“They did, I'm just hungry again.”

Gavin laughed. “They serve that nutritive jelly here. There's a module on the room's computer that lets you choose flavorings to add to it. Other than that, not much else. It's not the best, but it gets the job done.”

“Back on topic, we still need to cover training.” Arlen began. “There's a huge tower in the Courtyard, I'm sure you've noticed it. It's called the Blood Tower officially, but we just call it the Tower. The roof is where the fights take place. The lower floors are for preparing for a fight. They've got a lot of things, ranging from traditional equipment to recently invented stuff. The bottom floors have the traditional stuff, like grinding wheels for sharpening blades, and weight training equipment. The upper floors have some VR rooms. Really accurate simulators. Actually lets you feel the pain that you'd feel on the battlefield. They've also got some pretty good AI installed as well. Managed to kill me a few times.”

“Hm, that actually sounds kinda fun.” Alan said.

“There's something that always happens to everyone who says that. They find out what a sword to the face feels like. Hint: It's not pleasant.” Gavin said matter- of- factly. “Listen. I came here thinking that I was going to get out quickly and easily. Well-” He rolled up his sleeve, revealing a very large scar running the length of his bicep. “This was from my first fight, three years ago. Needless to say, I surrendered because of this gash. Couldn't move my arm for weeks. You'll suffer the same fate if you don't start taking things seriously around here.”

“Hey, who said I wasn't taking this seriously? I know what a sword can do. I just like VR games, that's all.” Alan said defensively.

“Well, these are different. I can show you them, if you want. That's where I was going to go anyways. I think we have some old armor and swords lying around somewhere. Darren, you want to try it as well?” Arlen replied.

“I guess. It's not like I can avoid this forever.” I conceded.

“Great. Let's see if I've got any armor that fits you two. We should.” Arlen started walking towards the closet.

“They're gonna need some blades, too.” Gavin remarked, the slightest bitterness in his voice.
“Yeah, they can use our old ones. They should be sharp still.” Arlen answered, retrieving two metal sheets, bent to accommodate a person, with an inner lining of chainmail. “Here, try these on. They look like they should fit. You're still going to need some other stuff when you're done with that.”

I draped the metal over my shoulders, the smell of blood being very obvious, almost overwhelming.

“Yours is fitting pretty good.” Arlen remarked, quickly glancing at the armor. “Alan, how's yours fitting?”

“Pretty good, I guess.” Alan laughed softly. “Not sure how it's supposed to fit, though.”

“Well, it looks like both of you fit into those. The other stuff is just strapped on, so they shouldn't be a problem.” Arlen dug some more in the closet, quickly producing two sets of gloves, each with a large piece of metal attached to the wrist. I put one set on, the metal slightly restricting my movement. Then we were handed two longer strips of metal, with many leather straps attached to the back. There was a hinge in the middle, to allow our knees to bend. It was certainly harder to put these on, with the upper piece of armor restricting my movement.

“Now for the swords.” Arlen smiled, handing us both a sheath attached to a leather belt. We both put the belts on as Arlen retrieved the two blades. “Well, here they are. A little old, but they should do the trick in the VR rooms. Just one thing, the rules with blades is that they must be sheathed unless you are going to be using them for a fight.”

“Hey, Arlen. Shouldn't they go up to their rooms first?” Gavin's voice was slightly bitter.

“Eh, it's just a thirty minute video. Nothing completely essential at the moment.” Arlen dismissed, turning to Alan and I. “Well, shall we?”

My legs were weak, but I followed Arlen outside to the bustling courtyard. Alan, excited as ever, nearly got ahead of Arlen as we made our way to the central tower. Once we arrived inside the building, Arlen led us to a large wall, with several elevators. In contrast to the relatively boring and dull barracks, this building was extremely well- decorated. Just as we were about to board, an adult stopped us.

“So, are you two the fighters?” He asked, in German. Alan and I just looked at him, not knowing what to say.

“Non, je suis juste en leur montrant les salles de réalité virtuelle.” Arlen responded.

“Ah. Eh bien, vous ne connaissez Kyle Abernathy ou Dennis Teren, n'est-ce pas?” The man asked. My ears perked up at the mention of my brother's name.

“Wait, did you say Kyle Abernathy?” I asked frantically in German.

“Yes.” The man replied. “Why, do you know him?”

“Yes! He's my brother.” I replied, my voice bright.

“Well, he's late for his fight. Not much else I can tell you there. Now, please. Move along.”

Arlen led us onto one of the many elevators, a simple white circle in a glass tube.

Well, my brother was still alive after all. That was a small relief. Not that it would help me on the battlefield, but at least I knew he was alive.

The elevator door opened, revealing a very sterile- looking floor, quite a shock since the first floor was so nice.

“Well, here we are. The VR rooms. Shouldn't be too hard to find a room now. The green light on the doorknob means that it's free. Red means it's being used, and no light means that it's undergoing maintenance. Now the only thing you'll need to know is how to surrender if yo need to. Just drop your sword and put your hands over your head. The fight will stop immediately, and you will be brought out of the program. Also, a fair word of warning: you will feel pain. It is approximately what you'd feel out on the real battlefield. Just surrender if it gets to be too much for you. No shame in it. None of this is recorded, anyway. Good luck.” With that, Arlen entered a room.

“Well, good luck, dude.” Alan said, stealing away into another room.

I went into a nearby room. It was different than the VR that I had at my house, for sure, but I've played in a couple of these machines, so I knew my way around them. I put on the helmet provided and stepped onto the main control pad. However, instead of the usual sensation of weightlessness that came with playing in these machines, I felt nothing. Assuming it to be a glitch, I took off the helmet and put it back on. Just as the helmet was fully on my head, the world faded to black.

Last edited:
Battle Cry

Part 1, Chapter 2

"Hey, wake up." I heard a voice say. Had I fallen asleep? The last thing I remember was putting on the helmet for the virtual reality, not much else.

"Huh? What happened?" I asked, my voice groggy.

"We found you in one of the VR rooms. You've been out for a few weeks. Missed your survival course. But that's water under the bridge. Now, you've got a fight. Just follow me." The attendant said.

"But shouldn't I have some time to recover? I'm not feeling my best. And how was I out for that long?" I asked, trying to get out of this situation.

"Well, that's too bad, kid." The attendant said, a slight smile on her face. "Well, our best guess as to your little mishap was that the VR overloaded your brain. It just shut down everything that wasn't necessary. There isn't any damage, though. Now, just follow me."

I was in no mood to argue. If I was going to die, I mind as well die now. At least I still had the armor on. The sword was still sheathed at my hip, as well. The attendant led me down a long, winding hallway. It was very dimly lit. I could hardly see in front of me, although I could clearly see the attendant's white lab coat. Eventually, we came across a light in the distance, which I immediately recognized as the sun.

So this was it. This was how my life would end. My hand trembled as it reached for the sword at my hip. Maybe I could put up some sort of fight.

"Good luck, kid. Just a reminder: you can surrender in this fight." Great. At least I had some sort of exit if things didn't work out.

I arrived in the sunlight, surrounded by a tall black wall, at least ten stories high. This place was so huge, I could barely make out my opponent coming out of the other side. We seemed evenly matched from what I could see. Suddenly the whole arena shook, and the tops of the walls joined together to form a dome, blocking out all sunlight. A few bright lights turned on, lighting the arena.

"Commencing fight between Darren Abernathy and Garret Long. This is fight number 234AR325G. Combatants, please standby." The voice was loud, almost grating. I stood there for a few tense seconds.

"Both combatants may surrender during this fight. This is Abernathy's first fight, and Long's second. Long has surrendered in one fight."

Suddenly, I heard a loud electronic beep. It startled me slightly, but I knew that was my cue to start fighting. I drew my sword, and began to run towards my enemy. We met in the middle, my sword drawn, and his axe drawn. He swung at me, and I swung at him. I managed to get a hit in, slicing his right arm open. Somehow, I managed to just avoid his axe. He swung at me again, this time at the breastplate on my armor.

It was a direct hit.

I doubled over in pain as my opponent tried to get another hit in, this time aiming for my relatively unprotected neck, his intentions clear. I managed to somehow move out of the way, and his axe only met sand. Trying to ignore the pain in my chest, I tried to sneak behind him. However, he managed to get me with another hit, this time on my arm. It was a very deep cut. My arm nearly exploded in pain. My opponent did not relent. I tried to avoid his swings, with some success. I received a small cut lower on my bad arm, but the pain was still drowned out by the much larger cut. I made a quick swing at his neck with my sword, but I missed, my blade clashing against his armor.

I ran away as fast as I could, trying to get away from my opponent. Maybe if I cut him some more, he'd bleed out before I could.

Fat chance, I thought, noticing the trail of blood I was leaving. I hadn't realized I stopped for a moment, giving my opponent time to catch up to me. He swung his axe right at the wound from before, not giving me any time to react. The axe dug into the bone, managing to separate it, leaving my arm to dangle uselessly by a few thin strips of viscera. I fell to the ground, holding my mangled arm.

"...Stop!" I heaved, just as my opponent was lifting his axe to deliver the final blow. "You've won. I... I surrender!" My opponent immediately relented, even reaching out a hand to help me up.

As soon as I stood up, the pain in my arm was completely gone, though I could still see blood oozing out of it from both ends. Suddenly, an overwhelming sensation of weightlessness took over as the world faded to black.

"It looks like it's over." I heard a familiar voice say. It was Arlen. The black receded, giving way to a familiar sight: the virtual reality room. "Hey. You were in there for a while. What happened?" Arlen asked, holding the virtual reality helmet.

"Huh?" I said, completely disoriented.

"What happened?" Arlen repeated. "You were under for a good hour and a half. Fights usually last only a few minutes when you first start out. Were you fighting the whole time?"

"...No..." I managed.

"Then what happened?" Arlen asked. "What happened when you first got into the simulation?"

I told Arlen exactly what happened: from waking up on the hospital bed to nearly getting my arm amputated.

Arlen laughed softly. "You stayed in for longer than I did at your age. That first axe wound on my arm would have done it for me. But, fortunately, if that does happen for real, they can fix that up pretty fast."

"Well, good to know." I said dismissively. "Where's Alan, by the way?"

"Oh, just waiting outside. I suppose there's nothing left to do here for now, anyway. We should go back to Three." Arlen turned around, opening the door. Alan was waiting outside, a slightly worried look on his face.

"Hey, man. What went on in there?" He asked, his voice sounding relieved.

"Well," Arlen began, "His brain just got a little overloaded. He went unconscious for a little bit."

"But he's okay, right?"

"Yeah. I feel fine." I responded.

"Well, good." Alan smiled.

"How was your fight?" I asked.

"I won!" Alan exclaimed. "I just went for the neck. Poor guy ended up just bleeding out after I nicked his jugular pretty good."

"Sounds like you had fun." I said flatly.

"Well? You didn't?" Alan playfully punched me, right where my arm was nearly severed. It made me wince somewhat.

"My arm almost got cut off, and I ended up surrendering. I don't see how that is fun at all."

"Hey, you can talk about this later. We should get back to Three." Arlen started walking down the hall, and we followed.

"So, what do you want us to do with this armor?" I asked, trying to fill the silence.

"Oh, you can keep it. Gavin and I don't use it, it doesn't fit us anymore. You are going to have to get some armor for yourselves, however. It's just a clerical thing. They'd like to know what kind of armor everyone has." Arlen paused for a moment. "The swords, however, we are definitely going to need. We've been using them more and more recently, mainly trying to hone the blades as much as we can."

"But where do we get armor?" I asked.

"There's a blacksmith in the courtyard. He'll make you some armor." Arlen replied as we got on the elevator to go back down to the ground floor. "But you're not going to need it for a few weeks." The elevator opened to the very elegantly decorated ground floor. Even now, at this hour, it was still very busy.

"Ugh. Have to feel sorry for some of these people. Late night fights are always the worst." Arlen groaned.

"What do you mean?" Alan asked.

"Well, fights are scheduled twenty- four hours a day, seven days a week. It really fucking sucks when you have to fight at two in the morning in the dead of winter, but I guess you learn to deal with it." Arlen explained.

"Hey, Darren!" I heard a voice call.

I turned around. It was my brother, Kyle. He was dressed in his armor, and had a sword sheathed at his hip. He was obviously tired, and even had a small amount of blood on him.

"Kyle!" I exclaimed. "You're still alive! I heard that you were fighting earlier. How'd it go?"

"Well, I won." my brother said flatly. "That makes nine..." He added as an afterthought.

"You don't sound too thrilled, Kyle." Alan said, laughing softly.

"Really? I just killed someone. Why would I be excited about that?" Kyle questioned, raising his voice slightly.

"Well, it's one step closer to getting out of here, right? And, you only need one more kill to get out!" Alan explained.

"I killed someone who didn't deserve to die. That's that, and I can't say I'm too happy about it. Also, They've changed the rules recently. I need eleven more kills to get out." Kyle said. "Now, if you'll let me pass, please..." With that, Kyle started walking towards the entrance to the building.

"Wait!" I called. Kyle turned around.

"What is it?" He questioned impatiently.

"Where do you live? I'd like to come visit you sometime."

"Barrack Two, Room 25423. It's on the fifth floor." He said. He turned around and left.

"Oh, is that your brother?" Arlen asked.

"Yes, why?"

"Heh. I've fought him before. Let's just say that he's really good at what he does. He almost killed me. Ended up surrendering. Not a pleasant experience. He's also very good at blocking his pain. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a few wounds when he was talking to you, Darren." Alan laughed as we exited the building. We continued in silence for a while, before I tried to break it.

"Wait, we need to get twenty kills now?" I asked, my voice trembling slightly.

"Oh? Didn't I tell you?" Arlen asked back.

"No, you just told us that only kills counted as wins now." I responded.

"Ah. Well, you also need twenty kills to be allowed to go back home." Arlen responded.

"And what if we don't get twenty?" I asked.

"You are killed." Arlen said bluntly. "Not sure how, but it could be that you are just shot, or you could be forced into a few fights in hopes that you will die."

I only nodded as we continued to the door to Barrack Three. We rode the elevator up to the thirty- second floor, and made our way to Arlen's room. "Yeah, just give us the swords then you can go to your room. There's a video that'll explain everything to you."

"Hey, how'd it go?" Gavin asked.

"Eh, okay. I got sliced up pretty damn good, but I managed to push through and win." Arlen said nonchalantly.

"And what about the two new guys?" Gavin laughed softly.

"One of them surrendered, the other won." Arlen responded.

"Hm. Let me guess, that Alan guy, he was the one who quit?" Gavin said with a laugh.

"No, Darren lost." Alan said, stepping forward. "Now, what was that about me not taking this seriously?"

"Okay. So you won one fight in the VR rooms. Big deal. Tell me when you've won some real ones, then we'll talk." Gavin said, his voice bitter.

"Well, you guys should get to your room. There's a video explaining everything that will be going on, mostly stuff that I explained, but I'm sure that there's a few essential points that I missed. Good luck. If you need anything, you know where to find me, provided that I'm still alive."

"Thanks, Arlen." Alan said, heading out the door.

"Hey, Alan. We need our swords back." Arlen said.

"Oh. Sorry." Alan said, drawing the sword at his hip. I did the same. We both handed the swords to Arlen and left for our room. We eventually found it, after wandering the halls for a few minutes. The door opened automatically, and a large screen turned on, displaying a face we all knew well: ANDI, also known as Autonomous Digital Interface among her creators. ANDI had been developed as a human- like interface that could run computers, but nowadays her technology was outdated. She was still used to make videos that could be interacted with, especially educational films. In these videos, she would ask a question, and only go on if the question was answered correctly. Needless to say, she was the bane of students everywhere, especially if the machine she was running on had faulty voice recognition software.

"Hello, Darren Abernathy and Alan Matthews." ANDI began, her familiar smile never fading. "Welcome to the Battlegrounds of the Southeastern Michigan Consulate District. My name is ANDI, and I will be your guide to the various functions of these facilities. If you have any questions, you may ask them at any time, and I will be happy to answer them." ANDI paused for a moment.

"These Battlegrounds, though far from the Capitol City, were among the first to be built, more as testing tracks for fighters than anything. As a result, some of the technology we have available here is slightly out of date. If you have any questions at all regarding how to use the older things within your room, please ask." ANDI paused again.

"The most common question combatants ask at this point is: Why am I here? The answer to that question is this: In 2237, there were over twenty billion people living in the world. In response to this overpopulation, the Central Powers devised these Battles, in order to reduce the population to manageable levels. At the time of the last census, the world's population has decreased to ten billion, though the Central Powers look to decrease it further, to around five billion, which they believe to be sustainable. Obviously, these decisions have not been very popular, and the execution of the resistors has contributed to the loss of some individuals. However, no population reduction method has proven more effective than these Battles."

ANDI continued on and on about the history of the Battles, and the amenities of the Battlegrounds. It was exactly as Arlen and Gavin explained, but much more long- winded.

"Now, onto the rules." ANDI continued. "When you are in a fight, there are no rules: you can kill your opponent by any means necessary. Outside of the Battlefield, however, there are some strict rules. They are as follows: First, suicide is strictly forbidden. If you are caught trying to end your life, psychological help will be called in."

"Second, conspiring to kill a combatant outside of the Battlefield is forbidden. If we have reason to believe that you have been involved in a plot to kill a combatant, you will be interrogated, and punished depending on your position in the conspiracy."

Alan's face broke into a sinister grin. "Heh, not going to keep me from trying." He mumbled to himself. I pretended not to hear him.

"Next, sexual relations are forbidden, unless measures are taken to ensure that neither disease nor pregnancy occurs. If pregnancy does occur, the fetus will be aborted, and both the father and the mother will be unable to surrender for three fights. Paternity tests will be conducted on the fetus in order to determine the identity of the father. If you are known to have transmitted a sexual disease to a partner, it will be treated as a conspiracy to kill the combatant that received the disease."

"Finally, contact with individuals residing outside these Battlegrounds is prohibited. If you have been found to have communications with outsiders, you will be executed. If your communication included essential information to the nature of the Battles, your informants will be executed as well. The Consulate's Office is able to send records of your fights to your family with your consent. The information included in these records is limited to wins and surrenders. Should you be killed, a death report will be sent to your family."

The way she said that last sentence really bugged me. It was as if knowing that your family will know when you are dead was supposed to be comforting, somehow.

"That concludes this brief introduction to the workings of the Southeastern Michigan Consulate District Battlegrounds. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask."

Alan stepped forward. "Okay, say someone successfully kills someone outside of battle. How is that handled?"

"Usually, an investigation is conducted as soon as we find out about the death. Once we find the individual who committed the murder, they will be put to death. However, very few kills happen outside of the battlefield. Only fifteen murders have been successfully carried out within the last twenty years on these Battlegrounds, and four- hundred and six conspiracies to kill a combatant have been uncovered, all before they could come to fruition." ANDI waited for a moment. "Now, if you have further questions, I will be more than happy to assist you. Simply turn on this monitor." With that, the monitor went black.

"So, you want to kill someone, huh?" I asked.

"Hm? What are you talking about?" Alan asked back, obviously feigning innocence.

"I heard what you asked. Not necessarily hard to figure out what you want to do."

"And? Isn't killing off as many of us as possible the purpose of this anyway?" Alan asked, with a mischievous smile.

"Well, yes, but it seems that they only want people killed in fights." I explained.

"Whatever." Alan dismissed as he began removing his armor. "I'm going to bed. Sleep well."

"Wait, Alan. Who exactly do you want to kill?" I asked, my voice slightly frantic.

Alan adjusted his blanket. "Well, you don't want anything to do with this, so I can't tell you. You'll find out soon enough."

"Can you at least tell me why? Why do you want to kill this person, whoever it is?" I asked. My mind was racing with all of the possibilities. Literally anyone on the Battlegrounds could be his target. Even me.

"You'll see why once it's done." Alan sighed as the turned off the lights.

Back
Top Bottom