• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Frontier Town Civic Courtyard

Steven brought a claw to his chin. "I'm not sure. The story of the Sun's sacrifice that the Day Captain shared didn't sound like it was about victory or grand adventures."

His eyes furrowed as he tried to recall her tale.

"They said that a great darkness rose from the earth, covering the sky and blotting out the sun. In the absence of its light and warmth, the figure they revere as the Sun rose into the sky and set herself ablaze as a surrogate."

"The Wardens keep watch over the Ward in honor of her sacrifice, where it's believed she's slumbered ever since."

At this, Steven's expression fell slightly, and he shared a worried look with the group. "I hope the Sun hasn't shared the fate of the Oasis's Saint. Long gone, with only a Relic left to mark her passing. Maybe it's worth another visit to the Ward to learn more."

"Like, the shrine in memorial for Zapdos, right? Or the Timeless Oasis – no sign of Celebi, and apparently any time a Relic turns up, it supposedly means the corresponding Saint is long-passed."
Ralsen nodded. "Indeed. The relics are of particular interest, which is why I can only hope that I manage to come across a divine dungeon for myself one day."

"The Timeless Oasis was... weird," Koa admitted. "Time there behaved strange, and it was like the dungeon really was testing us. Pretty strange compared to what I'm used to. But now that its all over, I'd still want to visit another Divine Dungeon if I could... Although its still so strange to hear that saints here can go missing or even die like that." He shook his head.
Ralsen listened to Koa's account with eyes alert and attention rapt. "Fascinating..." He retrieved a journal from his bag and hastily scrawled a few notes. "I'm not much of a dungeon diver, but the trip to the heart of Templefall was illuminating. To visit a Divine Dungeon..." He paused, holding the end of his pencil to his chin. "Were you able to reach its heart?"

At this, Steven's expression fell slightly, and he shared a worried look with the group. "I hope the Sun hasn't shared the fate of the Oasis's Saint. Long gone, with only a Relic left to mark her passing. Maybe it's worth another visit to the Ward to learn more."
Ralsen continued to take notes as Steven shared what he'd heard from Fort Sunward. "I expect they'd probably know better than anyone what the Sun's fate was, if they're the keepers of her legacy." He let out a sigh, shutting his journal. "If I weren't needing to return to the university, I'd join you. But I've been on this expedition long enough, and I do need to return their camera and develop my photos. It just means that you'll need to share what you've learned when we next meet," he added, the corners of his mouth turning up slightly.

"I'd still want to visit another Divine Dungeon if I could... Although its still so strange to hear that saints here can go missing or even die like that."

Laura gave the Electrike a puzzled look. She'd just assumed that if, say, a Saint was injured badly enough, then of course they'd die. What were legendaries like on his world...?

"Uh, right, yeah..." She wracked her brain for any divine dungeons they could try and hit up. Obviously none were exactly widely known to the public... Probably for good reason.

She listened to the exchange for a while, until the topic of Sunward came up. She'd not been there before, but hadn't Steven?

"We should probably go ask the Wardens, at the very least," she remarked, hesitant. "If they're a solar cult, well... Victini is strongly associated with the sun. Steven, you said the 'Sun' was a mythic hero of some kind? That makes me think the two were companions."

"We did reach the heart," Koa nodded. "It was..." Hm. Well, in any other situation he would have been enraptured. He wished that he hadn't been too sick to his stomach then. And hadn't trying to fend off a pack of Cipher goons at the time. The memory was mostly uncomfortable, tainted by the miserable knowledge of everything with Alex.

"Beautiful, I guess. Hard to appreciate at the time. Trees as tall as the sky, and an even larger one at the center. But sad... I wonder why Celebi couldn't find anyone to replace it..." Replacing a legend was a huge decision, but was there truly no one in the entire world capable?

The myth Steven spoke of almost sounded vaguely like something from his world. A sun pokemon....? Maybe a Solgaleo? The idea of Victini being tied to a Solgaleo was strange, but not the weirdest thing ever he supposed. "I've never heard of a myth exactly like that about the Sun, but I'd love to go with you if you visit them again, and hear more about it."

Steven regarded Laura and her theory with curiosity, though when he spoke there was some hesitation. "I don't know who she was before she was the Sun," he said. "And I'm not sure those who tell of her legend do either. They said it happened near the dawn of civilization in the Soja, many generations ago."

Next he tipped his body towards Koa, bringing a claw to tap on his chin. "It's an unusual myth for me as well, though it's no surprise; this world is very different from ours."

"I wouldn't mind going back there again. I've only ever spent time at the Fort where the Wardens stand watch. The Day Captain there is kind. And strong. Perhaps there's more to learn from her, or maybe those who live in the settlement could offer more. I spent most of my time asking Aurelia for training help, not about her faith."

He smiled at Ralsen. "A shame you won't be able to join us in Sunward. Next time, though. The sunsets are worth borrowing your university's camera again, I can assure you."

"Beautiful, I guess. Hard to appreciate at the time. Trees as tall as the sky, and an even larger one at the center. But sad... I wonder why Celebi couldn't find anyone to replace it..." Replacing a legend was a huge decision, but was there truly no one in the entire world capable?

Ralsen nodded somberly. "None of us can truly know what goes through the mind of a Saint at the end of such a long life. Perhaps there's more to it than whether or not they can find someone..." His voice trailed off, like he had more thoughts, but didn't say anything more.

He smiled at Ralsen. "A shame you won't be able to join us in Sunward. Next time, though. The sunsets are worth borrowing your university's camera again, I can assure you."

The Grovyle smiled. "I'll look forward to it, then," he said, holding out a claw.

Laura took Ralsen's hand on reflex, used to shaking paws in her day job – and forgetting that Steven (if not Koa) could shake.

"I'd be interested in going there myself, so I'll let you know what I learn if we meet again," she remarked.

Again. She'd seen Ralsen... three times now. He felt significant, somehow. Maybe just because there weren't all that many scholarly types in the Soja'...? She had the strangest feeling it wouldn't be the last time.

"I wonder why Celebi couldn't find anyone to replace it..."

Did Celebi get a chance to find someone, or just pass away unexpectedly? Did Celebi want to find a successor...?

Laura furrowed her brow. "And, uh... if you learn anything more about legendaries – and why they're so absent – then maybe you could let us know? We're mostly staying at the Haus, and the maus know who we are, if you wanna send a letter."

"Perhaps. Maybe one day I can ask how successors are chosen..." Koa mused out loud. Luz was trying to convince Sierra to take up the mantle, wasn't she? What made a pokemon worthy to carry on that duty...

"But as Laura said feel free to let us know if you find anything interesting. If we find something else we can pass it on. Any plans where you're headed next? After you get your photos?"

"I'll have to see where the winds takes me," Ralsen said with a faint smile. "But in the meantime, I suspect it would be good to keep a line of contact open." He opened his journal one last time to write something down before tearing out the page and handing it to Laura:

Anbara College of Societal Philosophy
Magna City, Landsverd

"Best of luck with your pursuits," the Grovyle added, giving a small wave before shouldering his bag and heading off.

<><><>​

Back
Top Bottom