• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Doctor Who Club

A quick guide:

Rex has the pole injury, Esther's the blonde one, Tie boy and Lyn the Neck Lady don't matter, and the rapist is Oswald Danes.

You have a point in it not having the same feel, possibly because it's American and not British sci-fi. We Brits like our science fiction big and nonsensical, as evidenced by the recent Doctor Who finales, and Americans like theirs wrapped in conspiracy tape and mystery, like the X Files and recently, Fringe.

I expect aliens everywhere right at the end with RTD at the helm, but for now, it's gonna be Alien CSI for a bit.

And sometimes we like our sci-fi being about four guys (well; one guy, a dead guy, an android and a massively mutated cat) being stuck on a mining ship out in the middle of space.
Or a guy, a girl, some aliens and another android hitchhiking through space.

(But Blake's 7, Primeval and probably others I'm forgetting definitely fit with what you're saying. Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes fit more into the American bit, but they're definitely not just sci-fi, so they shouldn't count :p)

So the latest Torchwood last night.

RTD IS FUCKING BACK!

Serious that was, amazing. I mean I totally don't want to ruin it, but that's what spoiler tags are for. So if you're reading this and haven't seen it yet, STOP.

Ok so we learn why Phicorp or whoever is doing this has planned for the people who should have died. They introduced categories, 3 being normal, 2 being severely injured but stable, and 1 being well, dead. And what they do with the dead ones! THEY BURN THEM ALIVE! It's insane, but not as insane as the fucking doctor who SHOT Vera and locked her in the room, THEN INCINERATED her with Rex trying to get in to save her, it's insane. And Oswald is one messed up s.o.b..

Is it me or is John Barrowman not looking too good?? I don't know if it's his age showing or something else. Though he looks like he's lost a lot of weight. I also am starting to feel like Jack is becoming a background character.They just are focusing more on other characters, which is understandable, but this is a one shot series from what I understand. And I get that they have only ten episodes to get us to understand the new characters, but there are the die-hard fans who've followed the show since the first season and I think that, at least from my point of view, it's lacking for the die-hards.

I feel there is more to be seen for Jack/Gwen/Rhys and they simply aren't doing it. I mean I know they're in a crisis, but I don't know I just feel something is missing there. And I can't put my finger on it.

Aaaaaaaahhhhh
Oh my giddy goodness, that last episode was intense. The whole classifying of people was super-dark and then it just sort of spiralled out from there and dear god that ending. I thought they'd just about done their worst already with the lady in the car-crusher, but noooooo. And, dammit, I really quite liked Vera ):

Gwen continues to be awesome, which is one of the main reasons I'm liking this series. Oh god, the bit where she's impersonating an American accent was absolutely fantastic XD I don't like Rex much (I really hope he gets called out on, well, everything, but especially his constant being mean to Esther), but Esther is adorable, and Gwen's mum seems pretty awesome. And P.C. Andy's back, huzzah!

I hope they rescue Gwen's dad, though. I don't want to see people get burned up again ):

And I'm still really, really wondering where they're going with all this.

Was the the only one screaming "FU OSWALD!"

Just watched the newest episode.

O_o

No really. It was boring, boring, boring, with a few huh? and OHIGETITZ, then HOLYSHITTHEFUCK.

Gwen got a few moments of AWESOME, including being epic on a motorcycle and blowing up one of the camps with C4. Also THEY TOOK HER MOM, RHYS AND HER DAUGHTER! I don't even know who "they" is. Also Jack got to be Jack for a bit, which was great. Still, overall response...

O_o

Last edited:
Yeah, I thought the newest episode wasn't as good - while I hate Oswald with a passion, he's a very interesting character (and his actor is fantastic), and the episode felt a little lacking because he wasn't in it, and neither was Jilly and obviously Vera wasn't either, and we got all these rubbish people I don't care about like the Phicorp Man and, oh god go away San Pedro Camp Man. I think this was the first episode so far to fail the Bechdel Test, too, which was a shame. And I kept wanting Esther to be awesome and save the day, but we mostly got her crying a lot while Rex keeps being Manly Man. Also, what is it with American men and Jack's coat?

But, if I may be very shallow for a moment, I've always thought Eve Myles was incredibly pretty, and blowing stuff up on a motorbike doesn't usually do it for me, but wow.

Hee, I rewatched Children of Earth with some friends the other day, and there's the bit where Ianto buys them all clothes when they're on the run, and gets Jack a new WWII coat from an army surplus shop and we all had to give the coat a big cheer. So I guess you're right :p

Latest Torchwood episode (7):

Oh, whatever. Gwen was completely out of character, she'd never just kidnap Jack like that.

Latest Torchwood episode (7):

Oh, whatever. Gwen was completely out of character, she'd never just kidnap Jack like that.

I've only seen the "next time" for episode 7 and from that short clip alone I was thinking how ridiculously out of character it seemed.

*clears away Torchwood filling the air*

if you have any respect for me as a human being you will watch this short video featuring Matt Smith and Karen Gillan singing the theme song and dancing fantastically

Anyone love that charity episode were the TARDIS gets teleported inside the TARDIS?

Eeeee I love Matt and Karen and Arthur so much I want to be their friends. Out of season I know, but this is my favourite.

And I LOVE the Time/Space CiN special-thingy. Amy would give Amy her driving license <3 Although Time Crash is probably my favourite special (it's 5 minutes of fanboy-ing, but is too sweet for words), and The Curse of Fatal Death is amazing and not enough people have seen it. It has Rowan Atkinson, Jim Broadbent, Hugh Grant, Richard E Grant, Julia Swahlia and Joanna Lumley in. And is also hilarious. The sofa of reasonable comfort!

Re: Torchwood My sister and I guessed Angelo might have something to do with the angels (and blessing and other religious terminology that's being thrown around), and while that twist was cool, it didn't really make up for all the flashbacks feeling out of place. They were sweet, though. And whoo at Esther helping to save the day again! And, really, I'd have forgiven the episode any flaws at all just for Jack's line "You're Welsh, you wouldn't notice if words have their vowels missing.". Jokes about the Welsh make me so happy inside <3

Also! I don't know how I forgot to squee over this, but TRICKSTER MENTION! I can't tell you how much I love that the Trickster's Crew appear in Doctor Who (the Time Beetle thing on Donna's back) and Torchwood, but the Trickster himself only appears in SJA. And is creepy as all hell and all the best episodes (Whatever Happened to Sarah Jane, The Wedding of Sarah Jane Smith, The Temptation of Sarah Jane) feature him.

Last edited:
The Curse of Fatal Death is amazing and not enough people have seen it. It has Rowan Atkinson, Jim Broadbent, Hugh Grant, Richard E Grant, Julia Swahlia and Joanna Lumley in. And is also hilarious. The sofa of reasonable comfort!

Even though it's supposed to be ridiculous, there's something about this that has the classic Doctor Who feel to it that the new ones lack. Not entirely sure what it is though.

Last episode

Left me with this expression O_o for twenty three minutes after.

Twice RTD?

And Gwen and Jack, really? Really? Then Esther and Rex being Gandolfs. I just, it's getting bad again for me. It got really good the last episode, then really bad this one. If they keep doing this I will find RTD and personally sit over his shoulder and everytime he writes something that doesn't work for the characters I will scream "WRONG" and squirt him with a water bottle.

Guys 6.2 is almost here!!! So excited! "Let's Kill Hitler"!

From what I've seen everyone is back... and the Doctor has a new coat... similar to Jack's...

Check out the coat... and is that a Pyramid???!!

I just noticed the giant pyramid. Phantom gains one point!

tumblr_lp2pkn1hk31qludi2o1_400.jpg

Back
Top Bottom