• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Frontier Town Founder's Square

She followed that up with a shrug. "It sounds like you're trying. I think as long as you're not all around scum of the fucking earth, I'll think you're pretty okay."
Well, are you, Andre Duval?
She fixed her gaze back on Andre, eyeing his frames yet again. "The simple answer is I'm just nosy. I like to think I just have a very pronounced moral compass, but, at the end of the day, I'm also just nosy," she explained. "I only got involved in this one particular case because the drug was largely affecting shiny Pokemon. You know what those are right? The weird colorings on Pokemon's coats?"
"I don't think we have that where I am," Andre said, "or maybe we do, but we just don't call it that. Sometimes mutations result in coat colors that are rare and unusual, but it sounds like this is something more special."

She waited for him to answer before she went on. "Anyway. My friend, Enora. She's shiny. She'd been my friend and training partner since before she evolved, and the thought of her falling victim to what that drug was doing to other 'mon just made me fucking nuts. And then seeing it in action was like--" Anger flickered across her face, and she was left shaking her head disdainfully. "Some fuckheads shouldn't have partners, Pokemon or human. I'd run them all over with a truck if I could. Alas, I only have a license for motorcycles," she added in jest.
Andre was glad to hear Odette refer to her training partner as her friend. That made him trust more that this was one of the good trainers.

His ears perked at the mention of running people over. How serious was she with that? Would she actually kill them if she could get away with it? Could she possibly be like him? Could she be trusted with his secret?

No, not at all. What was he thinking? Of course it was just exaggeration. There was no one like him here, just like there was no one like him back home. He had to keep his secret a secret if he wanted to fit in.

With a sigh, she was able to calm herself down. "That said, Enora has stuck her neck out for me more than once, so it just felt like another time to return the favor and get a bunch of other unwilling 'mon out of a shit situation. So I shoved my hand in the door, and..." she gestured out in front of her, pressing her lips into a tight line. "Ta-da."
Andre beamed. "I know it's not my world, but I feel the need to thank you for your service. You really sound like a hero to me."

"I don't think we have that where I am," Andre said, "or maybe we do, but we just don't call it that. Sometimes mutations result in coat colors that are rare and unusual, but it sounds like this is something more special."
"That's pretty close to what they are in my world, honestly. Mutations." But it sounded like Andre was unfamiliar with the extra aspect that caused that mutation, so she kept that to herself.
Andre beamed. "I know it's not my world, but I feel the need to thank you for your service. You really sound like a hero to me."
Odette felt heat take form on the tip of her beak before it traveled up and exploded across her face. Her brain momentarily stalled on the compliment, so much so that all she could do was blink at him. "I--"

Her mind was able to restart eventually, and she reached up and covered her cheeks with her palms.

You are so fucking stupid.

"I'm sorry, please ignore me," she said as evenly as she could. "I just did the right thing." She wanted to say "the sane thing" but she hadn't exactly gone about it in the way a right-minded person would have. At the end of the day, however, she didn't have much of a choice. It was a family matter after all.

"But, uh...thanks. You're sweet."

What do I do here? What do I follow that up with?

Oh my gods, say something else, anything.

Panic raced into the core of her soul as she struggled to read the situation at hand; struggled to come up with a way to continue the conversation that wouldn't completely wreck it. When something eventually popped into her mind, she jumped on it.

"Since we're on the topic of heroism, what are your thoughts on all of this? Have you heard anything weird so far?"

Last edited:
"I'm sorry, please ignore me," she said as evenly as she could. "I just did the right thing." She wanted to say "the sane thing" but she hadn't exactly gone about it in the way a right-minded person would have. At the end of the day, however, she didn't have much of a choice. It was a family matter after all.

"But, uh...thanks. You're sweet."
Andre smiled, and his tail wagged out of excitement. It looked like he was finally making a friend.

"Since we're on the topic of heroism, what are your thoughts on all of this? Have you heard anything weird so far?"
"Ah!" Andre's eyes sharpened and he leaned in closer. "Well, I've been trying to keep my eyes and ears open, and I get the feeling humans are relevant to all this," he said. "There are plenty of stories of them coming here and helping people, but it's not all roses and rainbows. According to Gerome, the barkeep of The Wanderin' Zera, we should be hush-hush on the subject of being human, and it's not just about appearing loopy. Have you kept your, uh, homosapience within our group?"

He flinched and blushed right after. "I... haven't. When my group arrived in Little Scriven, we let that slip pretty freely. I just hope that won't come come back to bite us in the ass."

"Ah!" Andre's eyes sharpened and he leaned in closer. "Well, I've been trying to keep my eyes and ears open, and I get the feeling humans are relevant to all this," he said. "There are plenty of stories of them coming here and helping people, but it's not all roses and rainbows. According to Gerome, the barkeep of The Wanderin' Zera, we should be hush-hush on the subject of being human, and it's not just about appearing loopy. Have you kept your, uh, homosapience within our group?"
Odette followed Andre's lead and leaned in as well. She was interested to hear what Gerome had to say and pursed her lips at what she was given. That was a lot different of a vibe than what she had experienced with Jaak, but nothing that was inherently surprising. In fact, it was almost expected. It was like she had said back on the town outskirts, if there were people who were excited about the arrival of humans, there were bound to be some who weren't.

"It ended up slipping to the 'mon that found my landing group, unfortunately." She'd have to blame that poochyena, Dave, for that one. "Two of them were really ribbing us about it and kind of gave us the same warning in not so many words, but there was a vigoroth who was really excited about it. I haven't been that vocal about it myself to anyone I haven't seen inside the Haus, because I think I know how this kind of nonsense works," she replied. "And I'm not looking to put a bigger target on mine, or anyone else's, backs."

He flinched and blushed right after. "I... haven't. When my group arrived in Little Scriven, we let that slip pretty freely. I just hope that won't come come back to bite us in the ass."
Flexing the corners of her mouth, she offered him a wary look. "It is what it is; looks like we both got unlucky in that regard. I know the folks here like to gossip but I think as long as we can keep it on the down-low going forward and work on our 'oh gods I was so drunk when I said that' act, it might be okay," she said. "I'd say for now to just steer more clear of anyone who's looking to put that on higher blast. Because I imagine there are a few."

Flexing the corners of her mouth, she offered him a wary look. "It is what it is; looks like we both got unlucky in that regard. I know the folks here like to gossip but I think as long as we can keep it on the down-low going forward and work on our 'oh gods I was so drunk when I said that' act, it might be okay," she said. "I'd say for now to just steer more clear of anyone who's looking to put that on higher blast. Because I imagine there are a few."
Andre nodded. "In Little Scriven, everyone seemed to think were were kids making up a fantasy except for the Mayor who... seemed to have her head in the clouds anyway, and I'm not just saying that since she's an altaria." He chuckled, but quieted. That was probably offensive. "Anyway... yeah, if we just say we were playing a game, they might shrug it off."

He smiled. "It's been nice talking to you. I don't think I've managed to hit it off this well with anyone else here, off-worlder or not. Maybe it's the Kalosian in both of us, who knows."

"In Little Scriven, everyone seemed to think were were kids making up a fantasy except for the Mayor who... seemed to have her head in the clouds anyway, and I'm not just saying that since she's an altaria." He chuckled, but quieted. That was probably offensive. "Anyway... yeah, if we just say we were playing a game, they might shrug it off."
Odette chuckled along with him. "That's fucked up," she snickered, but it was obvious she didn't fully mean it. "The ones we met said some shit about us being children too, so...worst case I have to forget I'm in my twenties and roll with it, I guess."

He smiled. "It's been nice talking to you. I don't think I've managed to hit it off this well with anyone else here, off-worlder or not. Maybe it's the Kalosian in both of us, who knows."
She both returned his smile and his sentiment. "The two Kalosian artists make friends, who'da thought?" she said.

The briefest bout of silence swelled between them, and Odette felt her chest rock in awkwardness. Something that she could classify as an intrusive thought came on, and without her jaws open to spew it, it was up to her main brain to decide what to do with it.

Probably not a good idea, she thought. Or maybe she just needed to stop being such an overanalytical pussy.

Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, BE FRIENDLY, ODETTE. MAKE FRIENDS.

"Anyway," she said in a breath. "I, uh, meant what I said about the dex training. You let me know when you're free and we can figure it out from there." Subconsciously, she began to mess with a loose thread on one of her skirt. "And...if you're ever interested, you're always welcome to, uh...stop by Sun Stone one night? I hear music's great for drawing inspiration. I'll totally make it worth your while; Greasewood's pretty liberal about the refreshments I get, so, bottle's on me. And it might help to have a more familiar face in the crowd. The 'mon here are mean sometimes."

You. Are. So. Stupid.

"Up to you, I'm sure the post office is very busy. Think about it though."

"Anyway," she said in a breath. "I, uh, meant what I said about the dex training. You let me know when you're free and we can figure it out from there." Subconsciously, she began to mess with a loose thread on one of her skirt. "And...if you're ever interested, you're always welcome to, uh...stop by Sun Stone one night? I hear music's great for drawing inspiration. I'll totally make it worth your while; Greasewood's pretty liberal about the refreshments I get, so, bottle's on me. And it might help to have a more familiar face in the crowd. The 'mon here are mean sometimes."

You. Are. So. Stupid.

"Up to you, I'm sure the post office is very busy. Think about it though."
"I'd love to," Andre said. "If you ever bump into me at the Haus or the library, that should mean I'm free. And I'll make it a point to make it to one of your shows. Just, uhh, hope you mean it about offering the drinks. I hear the place is pricey."

He took a deep breath in and stretched, much like a cat. "Well, it was a pleasure to meet you, Odette. I'll be going now, but I have a feeling I'll be seeing you soon again. Au revoir."

With that, he begun to walk away, towards the Haus.

<><><><><>​

[Ch01] This town apparently *is* big enough for everyone: more heroes arrive
The change of scenery was abrupt and drastic. The Night-Captain's salute faded out in the Travel Orb's flash of light, and in her place stood a larger-than-life limestone statue of an empoleon. Austere red sandstone walls were replaced with the hustle and bustle of a lively town's crossroads. Steven blinked, staring wide-eyed at their surroundings. They certainly weren't in Sunward any more.

"So this is Frontier Town," Steven murmured, mostly to himself.

Yet someone must have heard him, because a voice that wasn't Prim or Tyrfing's sounded from behind their group. (It definitely couldn't have been Tyrfing, as the honedge had retreated into his scabbard since the morning and was hitching a ride on Prim's back in the meantime.)

"Hi, come here often?"

Steven gave a chirp of surprise and turned around to find the speaker. He came face to face with another singular eye, or well, not quite an eye; the one who'd spoken to them was a roggenrola. A roggenrola wearing the largest cowboy hat he'd ever seen.

"No?" Steven replied, hesitantly. "This is our first time in town."

"First time?" Aige repeated, looking the Beldum over. "That's ok. This is like my... fifth time or so."

The Roggenrola paused. "Mind if I ask what you all are doing here? I have my own guesses, but it's better to hear it from the source. You know what they say about holding all your cards!"

In her head, she had a sneaking suspicion that they were in the 'group' but decided against jumping on the assumption.

It was like getting pulled through a drinking horn, and then—pop!—there they were.

The town was aptly named, Prim decided, and unlike the fort, it was comfortingly similar to frontier towns she had passed through on her own world. You could already see the paint flaking off some of the wooden buildings, their facades braced against the wood with diagonal beams. Still, Prim's head swam amid the dizzyingly unfamiliar sights occupying the square—what is a photography? what is a dentist? She sucked in a breath as she regarded the mountains that edged across the city's western backdrop, rough-hewn peaks gilded with amber morning sun. They were more rugged than the smooth-domed mountains back home, but a pang of homesickness tugged at her chest nonetheless.

The Roggenrola paused. "Mind if I ask what you all are doing here? I have my own guesses, but it's better to hear it from the source. You know what they say about holding all your cards!"
"Name's Prim. This kickass sword on my back is Tyrfing. A man. I don't generally name my swords." She grimaced. "And you are...?"

She narrowed her eyes at the funny little pebble in the silly hat. Her voice was like the scraping of rock against rock, but the words were formed clear as day. If Prim was any good at all at interpreting them, there was a pretty good chance this roggenrola was an outlander like them. Maybe the hat was normal wherever she was from. There didn't seen to be anyone else in the vicinity with any article of clothing so... tubular.

"Same as you, I think," Prim said at last. She quickly surveyed the area for eavesdroppers, then added, "If you catch my drift. Do you?"

Aige stared at Prim and the 'man' on her back. "Aige," she said finally. "I don't think I can catch your drift, I'm a stone, so I tend to sink."

The Roggenrola stifled a laugh. "That's a joke. I think that beating around the bush would cause more confusion than anything- you three are with the group, no? Sent here from another place, another time, to 'help'." She put emphasis on the last word.

"I suppose you all ended up somewhere fun yourself," Aige continued playfully, "It seems like everyone had their own experiences."

For a moment, the Roggenrola was silent. "If you don't know what I'm talking about, then assume I said nothing. You can't prove I said anything, and I won't tell anyone you humored me."

"And I'm Steven," he said, a slight bob in his hovering, to round out the introductions. He had tensed for a moment at the roggenrola's joke, wondering if she too was as literal as their honedge companion. But then Aige giggled, and Steven's eye winked up into a smile.

"It is as you said," Steven began, remembering Prim's words from earlier. There were others, and it seemed as if Aige was one of them. "We've been called here to help, but, uh, I think we arrived in the wrong place at first."

He tilted his head to the side in puzzlement. "No one in Sunward knew anything of this. They were kind," his eye darted to the side, "sort of, but it's reassuring to finally meet someone who does."

"No need to pretend," he said hurridly. "I think we're here for the same reasons. Though we know very little. Is there anything you've learned in your time here that you can share with us?"

Aige rocked from side to side thoughtfully.

"Sorry to disappoint, but all of us here haven't been much better off. I'll go over what we know so far though."

The Roggenrola took a moment to collect her thoughts, idly watching pokemon stroll down the thoroughfare.

"To start, there's a few dozen of us now. We've been given shelter and accommodations at the Traveller's Haus nearby, free of charge, but there's somewhat of an expectation for us to pull our weight." Aige seemed to look down. "Some of the others have concerned themselves with finding work; but me personally? I don't eat or drink, and I could sleep in a barrel upright, so I've been enjoying myself until something more discerning happens. Feel free to call me selfish, a bum, whatever, I won't deny it in the slightest."

Looking around, Aige continued. "The sheriff here is Lucien I believe. Very taciturn from what I've heard, don't know too much else, other than he's vouching for us, so if we get in trouble, it'll reflect on him, for better or worse. In regards to making trouble... there has been some talk that it's potentially dangerous if any of you are a human." She paused for effect. "I don't care if you are, the term as of now means nothing to me, but the impression is that if you got it, don't flaunt it, as the saying goes. I have tentatively proposed that it serves as a good means of gauging other pokemon, but it won't get much right now, so I'd say keep it to yourselves. If they make it a crime to be a human, then we'll get a good idea, you know?"

Aige thought some more, balancing on one foot. "Don't know what worlds you might have come from, but this place is decently advanced. No TVs, if you know what those are, if not, no problem! There is a railroad being built nearby too. There have been some... dreams, I suppose, recently. Don't know if you had those, I think it was that one that sent us here- we're meant to find some friends and look for mystery dungeons. I have heard the term before, but I'm not quite sure what those are."

Aige leaned forward to nod. "In case all of that was too much to take in, here's the short, short version. Keep your wits about you, don't let anyone on about humans if you don't want to, check in the haus for a room, and just work on getting on other pokemon's good sides."

Aige seemed pleased with herself. "One more thing of note," she added suddenly. "My group ended up in the company of some rough sort. I try not to judge on appearances, but they were probably bandits of some sort who seemed set on a job soon. Not that we're in a great place to do anything about it, but keeping in the know is more than good enough. Or you know, you could go help them if you were really inclined. I can hardly stop you. It's kind of up to us to believe that the force that send us here assumed that we would act in conventional good faith."

Prim hunched her shoulders as Steven and Aige dispensed with subtlety, jabbering loudly about their outsider status. Her eyes milled around the square over and over—it didn't seem like anyone was hearing them, thankfully. Didn't these people care about blending in at all?

She nodded along with the roggenrola's explanation. Despite the mon's apparent neerdowell proclivities, it was good information, but Prim's eyes began to glaze over a minute or so in. She'd never heard so much sound come from a rock before.

Eventually the words "mystery dungeon" caught her attention.

Don't know if you had those, I think it was that one that sent us here- we're meant to find some friends and look for mystery dungeons.
"Mystery dungeon?" she echoed. "Like... a maze or something? I don't see any castles around here. Maybe we're supposed to be somewhere else." Had they indeed made the wrong choice by leaving Fort Sunward? She rubbed her chin. Aige had said the words with such fluency that Prim was sure "mystery dungeon" must mean something significant here. She'd need to find out more about that when she had time.

Prim punctuated Aige's summary with a curt nod. "Thanks. I think I get the gist. It was lucky that we met you here." She tweaked her mouth. "We landed at a fortress. Apparently pretty ancient. Could be a dungeon there. Lots of myths and shit. The guards were pretty accommodating. Well, one of them was. That's pretty much all the information I have. Sorry it's not as much as you had for us. My memory isn't the best. Maybe one of the others can recall more, if it interests you."

She did regret not having more to offer, but her mind resisted recollecting details right now. The rush of the river filled her ears, and she could think only of following it to the ranger's tower.

Last edited:
Steven tipped upright as Aige spoke, as if he was awestruck. "Don't sell yourself short," he said. "It seems like we've missed quite a lot."

"It's good to know there are others here besides ourselves. Like yourself, I think I'll be fine with minimal food and lodging, though it sounds like a good idea to stick together with the rest of our group. Perhaps I'll head to the Traveler's Haus next to see if I can meet any of the others."

But part of Aige's explanation made Steven frown, his eye downturning in concern. "It's dangerous to be a human here?" he echoed. Was that why the Night-Captain had been so hostile? No, it couldn't have been. But after that encounter, Steven wasn't inclined to take any chances. He shook his head, partly to clear the worry, partly to take a quick glance around the square. "Thank you for the heads up. We will be cautious about being open with that information."

He glanced over at Prim as she shared their adventures thus far. He nodded as she finished.

"Prim is right, we're lucky to have met you. Though I'm not sure I need any more mysteries at present, so I'll leave anything to do with those dungeons up to you."

Swiveling around to take in the square once more, he bobbed once with a clack of his claws, seeming to have made up his mind. "It's probably best if we disperse, since attracting attention to ourselves probably isn't the best idea. I want to take a look around town, try to familiarize myself with this place." He chuckled. "Maybe then I won't look like such a newcomer."

Steven dipped his head toward Aige. "Well met, and thank you for all your help."

And with that, he turned and floated away, disappearing into the crowd of pokemon filtering out of the square.

"Ah, he's gone already," Aige murmured, watching the Beldum leave. "He'll be fine though, Beldum are tough."

The Roggenrola glanced at Prim. "I wouldn't worry too much about what a mystery dungeon is. We'll figure it out in good time."

She looked up at the sky. "I know I don't really look it or act like it, but I am a sheriff of sorts back home myself. Don't know if the term 'counterterrorism' means anything to you, but that's my field!"

"I'm not usually this outgoing, you know?" Aige said. "I guess it's just that I don't have to worry about my job too much. Or... I guess I'm not as obliged as I usually am. It's nice."

Aige seemed pleased with herself. "One more thing of note," she added suddenly. "My group ended up in the company of some rough sort. I try not to judge on appearances, but they were probably bandits of some sort who seemed set on a job soon. Not that we're in a great place to do anything about it, but keeping in the know is more than good enough. Or you know, you could go help them if you were really inclined. I can hardly stop you. It's kind of up to us to believe that the force that send us here assumed that we would act in conventional good faith."

Tyrfing's eye snapped open. Otherwise, he didn't move an inch, but his unblinking, one-eyed gaze fixed on the Roggenrola.

"Pleased to meet you Aige," he said. His ghostly voice echoed from the passage of his thought. "It seems we are in no shortage of mineral based, monocular pokémon.

"I assure you; I mean to act in conventional good faith regardless of what that entity may have assumed."

Steven dipped his head toward Aige. "Well met, and thank you for all your help."

And with that, he turned and floated away, disappearing into the crowd of pokemon filtering out of the square.

As Steven began to leave, Tyrfing bade him farewell. "Soon may we meet again."

Tyrfing's tassle billowed as he waved. Then his pupil contracted and his gaze returned to the Roggenrola, unfaltering.

"If you don't mind my asking, I have a question. What is a railroad?"

Hearing Tyrfing, Aige nodded again. "Good to hear! Just the knowledge alone is comforting."

"As for your question-" Aige mulled it over.

What's the best way to explain, Aige thought, I suppose I'll have to assume a frame of reference.

"Do you know what a cart is?" Aige asked. "If you don't let me know, but if you do, don't take it the wrong way. I'm not meaning to patronize you if it's something that is obvious otherwise, I just want to get an image."

The Roggenrola was silent for a moment. "Imagine the cart and it's wheels are locked into a path by two bars of some metal." She hesitated, briefly considering how to proceed if Tyrfing didn't know what wheels were either.

Always a possibility, she reminded herself mentally.

"So the cart moves along this path, which can be any distance you desire, and it does so on it's own without needing a force pushing it or pulling it. In this sense, it's powered, by fire or electricity depending. The mechanics of such are beyond me, but that's the gist of it."

"I'm sure someone around here could explain it much better," Aige said, somewhat apologetically. "But does that give you an idea?"

Tyrfing stroked the rim of his scabbard with his hassle, giving the impression of deep thought.

"Carts can be drawn by forces other than living creatures? What a wonderful idea! I... Well, I do not suppose I will truly understand until I see it, but it sounds fascinating. Thank you for telling me."

So the world had moved on without him.
Tyrfing half closed his eye and wrapped his tassle around his scabbard.

"Prim," he said quietly, "thankyou. For carrying me with you."

She looked up at the sky. "I know I don't really look it or act like it, but I am a sheriff of sorts back home myself. Don't know if the term 'counterterrorism' means anything to you, but that's my field!"
"Doesn't mean anything, but I guess I'm something of a sheriff back home too, you could say. I bet our jobs aren't too different. Hm."

Somehow. The little roggenrola seemed pretty directionless to Prim, and it was hard to imagine her in Prim's line of work—but maybe Prim was the one going about this the wrong way. She was warped to another world and started looking to resume her job right away. Wouldn't she rather be snoozing in a barrel and learning what it is to be a petilil?

Meh.

"Prim," he said quietly, "thankyou. For carrying me with you."
"Huh? Oh, yeah."

Even in this fresh body, the weight of a sword felt so natural on Prim's back that she'd forgotten Tyrfing was there.

"Nice meeting you, Tyrfing. Good luck. And let me know if you need any more carrying around. I don't mind."

She gave her friendliest smile, though her lack of practice with the gesture and new eerily childlike face made her affect offputting more than anything. Then she unloaded Tyrfing from her back.

It was nice to have a sword again, even if that sword was a man. She would need to find a real weapon as soon as possible.

Back
Top Bottom