• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Frontier Town Founder's Square

Jackie Cat

A cat who writes stories.
Heartache staff
Pronoun
they or she
Frontier Town was said by some to be the centre of the West, and the Founder's Square was the centre of Frontier Town.

There were two thoroughfares, one north-south, one east-west, which met in the centre of Frontier Town. They formed a crossroads, the surroundings of which were kept as an open space by the residents, for public meetings and civic beautification. This area formed a large diamond of paved stone, each side of which was the front face of an important town building – the Town Hall, the Sun Stone Saloon, the post office and bank, with their adjoining assay office, and the Sanctum of Wishes, a kind of local shrine or chapel of sorts. In the middle of the square, a limestone statue of an empoleon stood astride a fountain, around which were several wooden benches. There was even room for a few proud trees and potted shrubs, to provide a splash of green.

The square was in near-constant use most hours of the day, and even during the night given the nocturnal habits of some residents. Locals and visitors passed through regularly and often enough that it was often a colourful location, with many species to see. After all, from here you could go straight to anywhere on the town two largest streets, such as the barber-dentist, the photography studio, the jailhouse, the general store, and several other such indispensable venues.

Just along the north road was the charred wreckage of what may have once been some kind of wooden platform. Broken beams and blackened ropes were all that remained. The skyline was dominated by a grand mountain range to the west, and scrubland to the east. A little along the east road, the Silver River ran through the town, serving as both a reliable water source, and a means of transportation for more aquatically-inclined pokémon. Elsewhere, scaffolds and pulley systems were signs of new construction.

This was the centre of the West, after all. And the West was always growing.

<><><><><>​

[Ch01] ~ When the Strangers Fell Into Town
Laura closed her eyes as the light of the Spirit Nexus enveloped her, and then, with a shift of gravity and a rush of air, she was falling.

"
Oh, fuck!"

She fell past wooden buildings, paws flailing, a cloudless blue sky blinding her... into a goddamn river.

"Ah! Someone? Help?"

She trod water for a minute, trying to dig her claws into the nearest hard surface, the struts of a nearby bridge. Somehow, she pulled her way along to the enbankment, and fell, sopping-wet, onto firm ground. Howls, this was so gross with her her fur and everything. What a miserable first impression. At least it was hot and breezy enough that she'd dry out fast.

She wondered whether she should lick herself dry like a fucking cat, since she was a fucking cat, and decided against it.

"Hello?" she called, as she trudged into the first open space she could find. "Anyone else make it here...?"

Arctozolt woke up somewhere very, very dark. So dark, that they couldn't see a thing.

I told you, this was a bad idea!
Shut up and move.

The beast lumbered through the vault, across the oddly soft ground, and made it to a metal wall.

"HEY! IS ANYONE THERE?!" It screeched, its voice reverberating around the secure chamber it was in.

Nova had long grown numb to the sensation of teleporting. Body and soul yanked around in a way that made you think your insides would get pulled out, only to end up at your destination perfectly intact. But the other unit had said something to him and Nova didn't get a chance to respond before that stupidly peppy voice said it was go time.

And what awaited him at first was bright, blinding light. For a brief second.

He found himself staring down a flashbulb. A camera's flashbulb. One so vintage humans would fistfight one another to snag it from whatever antique roadshow they were attending. And, of course, someone was behind the camera. A second someone pressed against his tail. Neither from that nexus.

Photographs decorated the walls. Some framed, others not. Empty frames had handwritten price tags on them.

There was no other unit. No cheerful shuppet. No treecko that was hiding things just like him. No sailor-mouthed poochyena or bickering trio of kids claiming to know each other. As expected, he was alone. The voice had bungled it. And the mask had come with him, too.

Chalk another one up for Phenomenal fucking Affirmation.

He had no idea how expensive film was in a place like this. Nova prayed this was some sort of old-timey photography studio doing it for the art. Otherwise, he was looking low-tech. But somehow technical enough for type: full to exist?

No. One thing at a time. He had to make his exit. But what do you even say to complete strangers whose town and world you didn't know anything about? Fleeing looked bad, though. Like he really did have something to hide.

... Wait! Mystery dungeons! The voice mentioned those.

"Ah. So sorry." It was hard to bow his head with the damn helmet. "Little mystery dungeon accident. This is soooo not what I thought was going to happen." He further apologized for the interruption... and costing them film. Nova hoped it was pretty obvious he had nothing on his person but his stupid mask, so he couldn't pay for the mistake. He offered promises to get the photographer the money once he could relocate the dungeon from the accident and get his supplies back. Or they could just sell this other photo. He didn't mind.

All the while he kept inching his way toward the door. Which wasn't subtle, given Nova's size. He hastily excused himself and exited onto a dusty road.

Still alone. And definitely on the lower tech side.

Well, statues usually made for important landmarks. He walked forward, doing his best to act like he belonged there when he most certainly did not.

I hope they at least got my good side...

Last edited:
Waking up in a new body should not be something Shiron was getting used to. By all means, it was strange and unnatural.

Yet, there he was again, doing exactly that. At the very least, he wasn't drowning, unlike last time.

Shiron coughed and opened his eyes, trembling as he tried to readjust to, well, his new look. A tail that swished, along with a more flexible gill on the top of his head...

"...A Mudkip? I'm a Mudkip? Great! Honestly, there's worse things to wake up as."

And then there were all those voices, other people with him...? Right, of course.

So he breathed in, getting ready to raise his voice. "H-Hi! Anyone else here?!"

"HEY! IS ANYONE THERE?!"

At length, as Arctozolt continued to yell their head off, the 'wall' cracked open, and rolled to one side. The saurian chimera was standing among racks of both dungeon-gold and true metallic gold ingots, secured in sturdy-looking cases, and the other walls were lined with carefully-labelled lockboxes.

The watchog staring at Arctozolt looked not so much surprised or angry or suspicious... as completely confused.

"I say," he muttered. "This is rather a new one for me."

He peered inside, perhaps looking for an entrance tunnel. He found no such thing.

"Would you mind... explaining how you got in here?" he asked, eyes narrowing.

"Ah. So sorry." It was hard to bow his head with the damn helmet. "Little mystery dungeon accident. This is soooo not what I thought was going to happen." He further apologized for the interruption... and costing them film. Nova hoped it was pretty obvious he had nothing on his person but his stupid mask, so he couldn't pay for the mistake. He offered promises to get the photographer the money once he could relocate the dungeon from the accident and get his supplies back. Or they could just sell this other photo. He didn't mind.

All the while he kept inching his way toward the door. Which wasn't subtle, given Nova's size. He hastily excused himself and exited onto a dusty road.

"Hey, sir," called the kricketune behind the camera. "Wait! Sir? Just who the heck are you? Sir, don't you want the photo....?"

He stared at the startled swadloon in the customer's seat.

"I can take your photo later, or I can reimburse you for this if you like, miss. I need to take this to the Gazette."

"H-Hi! Anyone else here?!"

Laura looked around and saw a nervous-looking mudkip. Had there been a mudkip spirit in the Nexus? She wasn't sure. She made a bet.

"Yeah, hey! I made it!"

Some passers-by turned their heads, but not towards her and the mudkip. Towards... the RKS Chimera. So he'd made it, too.

"Hey! Over here!" she cried, waving.

Okay, that was three of them... hopefully the rest were around somewhere.

"Hey, sir," called the kricketune behind the camera. "Wait! Sir? Just who the heck are you? Sir, don't you want the photo....?"
He had politely declined the offer before departing. There would be no way for him to carry it, anyway.
"Hey! Over here!" she cried, waving.
Oh, thank goodness, someone else ended up reasonably close. And had already gone for a swim? At least, she looked a bit damp. Guess she wasn't one of those water-hating cats. And that meant there was water around, despite the dusty atmosphere.

He approached her, noting the looks. "Allergies," Nova said. Considering all the wheezing, it was a reasonable excuse. Though it didn't mean anyone was listening.

"Well..." His voice trailed off once he reached the cat. "Looks like the group got broken apart." He glanced at the empoleon statue again. This wasn't the time to lament their circumstances. "S'pose there are worse places to randomly appear in than some town plaza."

"Yeah, uh, hi, hi! I'm Shiron! It's, err, it's great to see more people around here!"

God he hated walking on four legs, it was annoying. But still, he managed to walk towards the others.

"Looks like the group got broken apart. S'pose there are worse places to randomly appear in than some town plaza."
"Yeah, uh, hi, hi! I'm Shiron! It's, err, it's great to see more people around here!"

Laura mouthed the name repeatedly. She'd try to remember everyone's name, but howls, there were gonna be a lot of them. And it wasn't like she had a bloody smartphone or anything to help take notes.

"I guess 'same place' is relative," she remarked. "Maybe the others are scattered about town...? I think we were going to come through a few at a time, anyway. I'd bet some more of us will show up soon."

She bit her lip. She could still do that, apparently.

"I guess this is a pretty comfortable place to wait and see?"

She looked around at the pokémon walking through the square, dressed in varying degrees of 'clothing', though that ranged from simple chokers to more elaborate outfits, and everything in between. This was very much a world of pokémon-populated societies, then. That raised a lot of questions she didn't feel prepared to answer. Nothing all that unusual for her, then.

"Would you believe it if we said we were summoned into here?" the chimera said. "Literally. We woke up in here after accepting some sort of call for help."

The watchog shook his head, more in resignation than disagreement.

"I don't know how to believe it. But I don't feel right believin' anything else under the circumstances."

He scratched his chin thoughtfully, eyeing Arctozolt's mismatched midriff and restless tail.

"Look, you'd better make yourself scarce, kid. If I find anythin' outta place in there, the sheriff's office is gettin' one hell of a suspect description from me, but it's more trouble than my pay's worth if you're even slightly honest. Go on. Get lost."

The much smaller 'mon skilfully ushered Arctozolt out of the vault with practiced ease and sealed it shut again with a deftness that brooked no argument.

"Founder's Square is right through the front doors. Don't draw any.... Uh, any more attention than you usually do, I guess."

"Nova." He paused. Still couldn't see his own forelegs thanks to the damn mask. "Like, y'know, galaxy. Or something."
"I guess this is a pretty comfortable place to wait and see?"
"Yeah." Well, the small openings in the mask for his eyes trapped the warm air. So, it felt more like a jungle around Nova's head than... a dusty town. Unfortunate, but it wasn't as if he was going to go around asking if someone had an industrial-strength drill to break the thing. "I'd say give it some time." He looked up, trying to gauge what time of day it was.

Except he had no idea which way was east or west. Hell, for all he knew, the sun rose north and set south in this world. The voice didn't really explain the rules.

"If that's really a plaza over there, there may be somewhere we can go and ask for more information."

The nexus gave way to darkness once more, or perhaps that was just Corey closing his eyes as he felt his surroundings beginning to change, and suspecting, on a hunch, some kind of sharp descent. If ever he wished he could've been wrong, this was certainly one of those times, but there was no denying the truth that he was suddenly falling, and as he saw bright light seeping through his covered eyes, he dared himself to open them, at least so he could catch a glimpse of his sudden gravity-wrought demise.

"Ooof!"

It seemed the surface came around before his vision could... but on the bright side, it wasn't the bone-crushing, agonizingly fatal dive that he'd thought it would be. No, just a sudden unpleasant thud against some kind of metal surface it seemed. As Corey's eyes acclimated to the bright sunlight, he could feel his new ralts body fully solidify around him... and that meant his senses were all coming back in full, including the pain receptors that just happened to be detecting the hot, burning metal he was presently leaning against.

"Ach! Shit! Hot! HOT!" he cried out as he instinctively lurched back and began tumbling down what now he could clearly surmise was a roof of some sort. He began an uncontrollable roll down the hot roof and another quick, sudden drop awaited him, though it was just as quickly broken by a wooden platform only a few feet further down. With another thud, Corey let out a groan as he slowly picked himself up and got back on his feet, or whatever he could call these strange, flat limbs that looked more like the lower portion of a dressing gown.

"Goddamn if that wasn't the most pleasant way to show up, huh fellas?" he said, fully expecting someone else to give a similar pained quip in response... but instead he was greeted with utter silence... Only the faint, muffled sound of sloshing could be heard beside the windy ambience of this dry, desert landscape that he'd found himself in... and, to make the point clear, found himself in alone.

"...
Archie?... Tarahn?... Talking cloud? Anyone?" he called out, but there was little point. He could see plainly that none of the others were here, on what appeared to be a water tower of sorts... and one of those old fashioned water towers, the type one would be inclined to see in a particularly old Unovan picture, something he obviously had some experience with.

"Ah, dammit... couldn't at least give us the courtesy of dropping us all somewhere at once? Or maybe somewhere a little closer to the ground perhaps?!" Yes, this water tower was... a ways up. Nothing too high like their more modern iterations, but for a recently-turned-pint-sized squirt like himself? It certainly felt high enough... He was going to have to get down there and try to find the others somehow, and well, fortunately the added height did at least give him the opportunity to look out and notice a town relatively close by, which, well, stands to reason, with there being a water tower and all.

Noticing a ladder, Corey started on his way down, having to hop on to each descending bar, thanks to the gap between each, and his own lack of dexterity... which came to a head with only a few rungs left as he lost his balance and fell the rest of the way down, earning himself yet another uncomfortable thud.

"This fuckin' body..." he murmured with another pained groan as he got up and tried in vain to dust himself off.

"Makin' me walk all the way over there alone, and with god-knows-who waiting on the other side... Y'know, I was starting to feel bad for that talking cloud too..." he grumbled as he began his trudge toward the town proper.

"Well, look on the bright side I guess, Corey... at least the water tower had a roof and you didn't drown?" he tried to convince himself, and yet, there was that lingering concern that drowning might've been the easier way out of this whole debacle...

Last edited:
Felin had her fair share of unfortunate circumstances throughout her life. Whether it be the time she walked into a feral Spinarak’s web and almost became its lunch, or the time a Pupitar outlaw she beat fell atop her and broke her leg. She had to limp all the way back with her bounty in tow. So, all things considered, there were worse things that could’ve happened. She was in an empty jailhouse now. The cloud had spat her there after dissolving her and others like dandelions in the wind.

The air smelled drab and she crinkled her nose at the dried scent of previous inmates. She pulled to her feet and stood on all fours to stare at rusted iron bars keeping her caged. A glance at both sides of the cell told her she was alone. Where had all the others gone?

“Off to a great start, huh?” said Felin, unamused. She balled her fist and brought it to her chest just as she did back in the nexus. Would it come out? A moment passed, then two, and a while longer she dropped her paw to the ground and bit her lip. She scrapped plans of cutting her way out for the time being.

What should she do? Ask the guards to let her out? She wasn't a criminal and there weren't any charges pressed against her, not here at least. No. They won’t buy her excuses. Escaping without a sound would be smarter surely. She whirled around as gears turned in her mind for ideas. They crunched to a halt, and Felin smirked to herself.

Her way out presented itself on a platter. It came in the form of the sole window in the cell whose bars were spaced too wide to contain a small Sprigatito. She hopped forward and positioned herself right under the window. With a deep breath, she launched up like a spring and caught herself against the windowsill.

“Haha! This was almost too easy,” boasted Felin as she climbed up. Just then she snapped her gaze to a few familiar faces in the distance. “So that’s where you were. Well then, I’d better go see what everyone’s up to.”

She squeezed through the bars, hopped out to her freedom and set out for the town square.

Arctozolt lumbered through town, its two halves completely desynced from each other.

See, it wasn't such a bad idea after all!
Or you're just lucky.
Don't push your own luck.
Do we even have seperate luck anymore? Or is our luck shared?
I'm ignoring you now.

Soon, the mismatched beast would see figures in the distance, familiar ones, near what was presumably the town square.

"That must be them," it muttered. A few seconds later, their lower half began to hurry a bit faster.

Nova heard the squelchier footsteps and turned his head slightly. "Good news. Someone else found us." His gaze fell. "But, uh, unless they're a more common sight around here, I don't think us being seen together in public will do us a lot of favors."

"This place is... nice."

And they had clothing. Shiron would have to get some later, when things calmed down. Boy did he miss that scarf...

"That must be them," it muttered. A few seconds later, their lower half began to hurry a bit faster.

All of a sudden there were steps. Loud steps. Shiron gulped and looked around, until he saw... something? A creature? Some Pokémon he never saw before.

"Oh! H-Hello!"

Laura sat herself down on one of the benches to drip-dry in slightly less discomfort. Some of the approaching bodies were ones she recognised. She gestured to Felin, Corey, and Arctozolt and made a noise that was meant to sound like a normal sort of 'mmh!' but came out as a kind of mewl. Oh dear.

"Okay, that makes four, wait, uh... Six of us. That's, what, twenty percent?"

"A meager twenty percent," said Felin with a tut tut. She found a spot for herself on the benches and splayed on her side much like any cat would. "Either this is Cloudy's idea of a prank, or plans have gone already gone off the rails this early."

She yawned and kneaded her claw on the bench wood a few times. "Guess it's up to us to course correct."

"Better than nothing at all, I guess."

Shiron looked for a bench nearby and hopped on over. "What're the odds they're nearby? Probably not that high..."

"I think..." Nova tapped a talon on the dirt. "We're probably better off trying to get some help from whoever's in charge, first. Otherwise, we'll be running around blindly. No intel. No supplies." He shook his head. "It won't help us find the others."

Back
Top Bottom