• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Blaguarro Town Main Station

Jade blinked for a second, then had to suppress a small snort as her brain suddenly generated the image of what Nine would've looked like if he had been an even 50:50 split of Pikachu and Zapdos.

"Yeah, no, he doesn't look, like, half-bird or anything--he's not that different from a regular Pikachu. Physically, at least. From what he told me, they mostly messed with the code for energy signature and power generation and stuff like that. No cheek markings since his whole body generates electricity. And, uh..." She paused, tapping a claw on the nearest post. 'How'd that turn out,' Dave had asked.

"His power's too strong, so his body can't really hold onto it that well. And his power supply's lower than it's supposed to be. And it hurts when he charges up."

Okay, fair. Maybe all they needed to study Zapdos's power, with no other hybrid features, was some kind of Electric-type, and Pikachu was a common, innocuous one of those. Fair enough.

Jade's description, though, was... uncomfortably familiar. He looked away for a moment. "I'm, uh. Actually a scientist working with genetic hybrids," he said. "Very long story, but we were forced into keeping some experimental embryos originally engineered strictly as a proof of concept for medical research purposes. So my daughter's part Ninetales. Similar deal with power in a body that wasn't designed for it. She can breathe fire, but her mouth's not fireproof. The others vary, some of them can use their powers a bit, but it's all weird and limited or has severe downsides. But, you know, they still got it into their heads that having powers means they can play superheroes. Didn't work out that way."

Oh. He'd actually made hybrids? No wonder he seemed so interested in this topic. But then...

"Wait, so like... Pokemon mixed with... humans?" Jade asked, unable to keep the confusion out of her voice. "Aren't they, like... really different?" They were different types of living thing, right? (She really wished she could remember the term from science class, but also it probably didn't matter when talking with someone from literally a different world, as she kept having to remind herself. Also she probably would have just embarrassed herself anyway.)

The rest of his explanation held a heavier tone. "So like... they tried to use their powers and it went badly?" Jade asked with a slight wince, suddenly imagining trying to breath fire without being fireproof.

Dave grinned at her confusion. "They're pretty different, yeah. Nobody thought it'd be possible to combine human and Pokémon genetics. There's a clever trick to getting them to work together. I figured out the base principle, and the quick and dirty way to see it in action and test how far the method could stretch was to engineer some human embryos with genes coding for all sorts of different Pokémon features from various different Pokémon and watch if they developed as expected. Turned out yes, for the most part. Pretty amazing stuff. All got derailed a bit, though."

He took a long breath. "As you'd expect, society wasn't exactly wild about kids who can do shit regular humans can't and look like it. This batshit cult kidnapped one of them, the others tried to stage a rescue mission. Two of them got shot to death, three more injured. My daughter skipped the rescue because she touched a Fire Stone and half-evolved in an alley while screaming in pain, and thank fuck for that because if she'd gone it could've been much worse."

Not that he had much hope that all this would scare Jade away from whatever the hell she was doing over in her world. Probably wouldn't have scared the morphs either until it'd actually happened and become real.

"Isn't there anyone around out there trying to fight this criminal organization other than you and your friends? Because this sounds way beyond something a couple of random trainers should be trying to handle on their own. Maybe if the legendaries were super fucking helpful, but you don't sound like it."

Two of them got shot to death, three more injured.

It was said so casually. The obvious result of a situation like that.

"That's... I'm sorry." Everything felt cold.

Midnight stadium in flames. Trapped by the entrance, no way out. Gunshots. Reed crumpling in front of her, glassy-eyed in a spreading pool.

"I've seen what that looks like," Jade said neutrally, gripping her left arm, feeling smooth fur where there should have been a bullet's path.

His response was the kind she'd grown used to. Why you? Why not someone else? Someone better.

Jade inhaled slowly. "Fighting them means doing things illegally, so..." Playing war games, the League had called it. "I guess we were the only ones stupid enough to think it was worth trying to fight them."

The jab at the Legendaries hurt, but what hurt more was that she didn't feel like denying it.

<I thought we had something here. I thought we were finally learning to understand each other and fight for a common goal. But I guess you’re willing to throw all of that away.>
<Stop acting like it’s that simple!>

Last edited:
Jade looked abruptly distant, shaken. Seen what that looks like. So Jade had gotten lucky but others hadn't? And yet she was still out there, involved in this madness?

Or... was she? She was speaking in the past tense. She'd been speaking in the past tense for a lot of this, hadn't she, technically. He'd assumed she just meant past tense as in this was what she was doing before she got spirited away to Forlas. But we were the only ones stupid enough to think it was worth it...

He took a sharp breath, looking away. "Jesus," he said. "You should've never had to go through any of that. Your world sounds seven kinds of fucked. Let's hope by the time you get back some of those almighty legendaries have managed to find it in themselves to not be dicks."

Jade’s brow furrowed. She hadn’t thought very much about what was waiting for her back on Earth. She missed her team, her friends, but she’d spent these past few months imagining the reunion as just… seeing them again. Not returning to the world where they’d lost, relegated to chasing dead ends and fairy tales about a stupid rock.

Jade closed her eyes, exhaling through her nose. “I… they’re not—plenty of them sacrificed a ton to do the right thing, and got screwed over for it. And the others saw that happen, and… they were afraid. That’s all.”

If she’d just said the right words, done things differently, then maybe…

Afraid? The fucking god-beings? When you're a god and a group of goddamn kids are running around trying to fix the escalating war because nobody else will, how about you suck it the fuck up and at least try to make yourself useful with your deity-powers?

Dave exhaled. "Well, that doesn't exactly fucking help, does it." He scowled. "My world is kind of a shithole, but at least it has no gods. If you've got a class of people with the power to cause hurricanes or whatever, then everyone else just exists at their fucking mercy. And sure, they're not omnipotent tyrants, great, but instead you've got, you know, regular unstable individuals except with the power to cause huge disasters if they find themselves in the mood. Or if some criminal syndicate lunatics decide to capture and mind-control them. All-around fucked-up situation. Even if the legendaries are the most well-meaning goody-two-shoes in the world."

Jade winced. So he was... glad the legends weren't around in his world. Alright, maybe she hadn't exactly made the situation back home sound good. And it wasn't. But that was such a specific and recent thing--it didn't make the thousands of years of making the pact and keeping the balance not worth it. (It had to be. Otherwise Giovanni was right, and he couldn't be.)

Something about what he'd said didn't make sense, but Jade was having a hard time putting her finger on it. It wasn't specifically about the legends, it was about... some people being stronger than others? "Okay, but like... even without legends, it's not like humans can measure up to Pokemon, right?"

No legends meant no pact, so the humans would be at their mercy. Except the Pokemon weren't people... but what did that mean? If you couldn't talk with them, how could the two live peacefully? Or... was it the other way around? If the Pokemon couldn't talk with each other, then maybe they'd be at the humans' mercy? Ugh, it didn't make any sense.

"What, in single physical combat? I mean, no, but that's what guns are for." Huh. He looked at Jade. Come to think of it, if her world's Pokémon were sapient... "I mean, humans get by on brains and technology. Pokémon will obviously beat an unarmed human one-on-one, but humans outsmart them. Pre-technology we survived thanks to coordination and foresight and planning, then we started inventing shit, Pokéballs and ballistic weapons pretty much clinched it. Is your world just... ruled by Pokémon?" Then how the fuck were there trainers?

O-oh. That pretty much explained it. In Dave's world, a world where Pokemon weren't people... they were at the humans' mercy. And from the sound of it, the Pokemon weren't in a great spot from it at all.

(She couldn't help imagining the attitudes of groups like Team Rocket being not just common, but normal.)

"It's not... ruled by Pokemon," Jade said, still trying to sort through various uncomfortable feelings. "They have their societies, and we've got ours. They wouldn't... like what would they even get out of ruling over humans? It wouldn't make any sense." When humans exploited Pokemon, it was almost always for money, but Pokemon didn't use money. And human society was full of all kinds of nonsense that most Pokemon didn't want anything to do with, let alone be in charge of.

"Huh." He supposed that was sort of like Forlas in a way, only with actual humans serving the role of the 'civilized' Pokémon that lived like humans. The Escarpa lived out on the plains, shunned most technology, focused on battling, and mostly kept apart from the townies. But... "So you've, what, just divided up the territory? You get any disputes like the townies expanding into Escarpa lands and so on, or does everyone just respect the borders? Where does training come into it?"

Jade rubbed the back of her head. “I guess there used to be more of that, probably, before the routes got separated from the deepwilds. I, uh… I’m not big into history.” That was code for ‘hardly remembered anything from history class.’

She paused for a bit and then added, “Training is kinda separate from all that. Pokemon mostly go looking for a trainer if they want to get stronger, or if they’re curious about human society, that sort of thing. Some species basically never do it, but for others it’s normal for them to go through a few trainers before heading back home and starting a family or whatever.” At least training was a subject she could mostly avoid embarrassing herself on.

...Huh. Pokémon going out looking for trainers before starting a family? Like it's people going on cute train journeys to see the world or whatever? Maybe that was basically what it was. Step into your Pokéball for convenient, relaxing transport, step out for a scenic view or an energizing battle, your personal coach provides you with all your meals and medical needs? When you put it like that it almost sounded like a sweet deal.

He tilted his head at Jade. "Huh. So your Pokémon picked you, basically? I guess humans do it for the same reasons as in my world, because kids like flashy battles and competitive sports and cool monsters?"

Back
Top Bottom