• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Metallica Fanboy and エル vs The Omskivar and Lord of the Fireflies

Let's bugger them, Joltik tik tik tik tik tik tik tok.

Struggle Bug ~ Struggle Bug ~ Struggle Bug

Well now that that's done, Grockle, more or less the same orders. Giga Drain at the Squirtle the whole round. If it goes down, just...Leech Seed I suppose, for sheer survivability. If you successfully Leech Seed it and have an extra action, Scald.

Giga Drain/Leech Seed/Scald x3

After thinking briefly, Lord of the Fireflies sent out a traditional Lamp Pokémon (who uses lamps nowadays?). Flaring, twirling, vital, the Lampent, along with the others on the field, received his commands for the round. Thinking them through to the music (You live it or lie it! You live it or lie it!) and the cheering of fans and of course of Omskivar's grumblings of how this song was not quite on par with Metallica's other songs, he hovered onto the battlefield (okay, more like an area abandoned by the rest of the audience) and there waited for the referee's signal, enjoying all the effects of this rather unorthodox battlefield.

My lifestyle determines my death style

At last, all of the other Pokémon were ready (with perhaps the exception of Grockle, what with all his conditionals) and the referee impatient. He bade the battle recommence and waved his flags.

Pokémon

Team Some Small History
Metallica Fanboy (OO)
Active
Joltik
Hopkins
Joltik with ability Compoundeyes
Health:47%
Energy:72%
Condition: Paralyzed (mild, 15%), Speed +2

エル. (OO)
Active
Squirtle
Squirtle
Squirtle with ability Torrent
Health:19%
Energy:54%
Condition: Torrent Activated
Hydro Pump @ Baron ~Hydro Pump @ Baron~Hydro Pump @ Baron

Team Thoughtcrime
Lord of the Fireflies (XO)
Active
Lampenteviolite
Baron
Lampent with ability Flame Body holding an Eviolite
Health:100%
Energy:100%
Protect ~ Energy Ball@Squirtle ~ Fire Blast@Hopkins

The Omskivar (OO)
Active
Lotad
Grockle
Lotad with ability Swift Swim
Health:55%
Energy:68%
Condition: Badly Poisoned (4% this round, 5% next), Sp. Atk -1, Paralyzed (severe, 25%)
Giga Drain/Leech Seed/Scald~Giga Drain/Leech Seed/Scald~Giga Drain/Leech Seed/Scald

Round 4 begin!

But as soon as the round began, the music abruptly switched to an elevator-music style; gentle, relaxed, and dissonance-free, this wasn't your typical Metallica fare.
Keep searching, keep searching,
This search goes on, this search goes on

Hopkins, not the kind for deep introspection, wasn't disturbed at all by the music. She again squirmed around, shooting bug-energy projectiles at Grockle that made him very uncomfortable, even as the soothing music played on (keep searching, keep searching; this search goes on, this search goes on)

Squirtle decided that now was the time to act - no sense regretting his past like those middle-age singers up on stage, after all. He prepared an incredible Torrent of water, aided, of course, by his inner reserve, and compressed it under incredible pressure. Aiming with much concentration at the dancing flame, he didn't notice the veil of green before it, and let it loose at full power, with little visible effect to Baron. However, unbeknownst to her, that blow was so powerful, Baron had to Frantically expend large amounts of energy trying to keep it up a little longer, in the case that any further attack may come his way. Observing from safety, he saw his partner set up an energy-draining link to Squirtle, depriving him of his precious little health he had.

Fran-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-toc
Fran-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-toc!

Patting himself on the back for a job well done, and of course enjoying the music, Baron was about to proceed with knocking Squirtle out of commission - but upon hearing the lyrics - I've worn out always being afraid; an endless stream of fear that I've made - decided that his time would be better spent in reflection. What did these lyrics mean? How was his life being spent? Treading water full of worry; this frantic tic tic tic toc of hurry. Was he feeling positive emotions? How could he rid himself of some of these stressors? Sitting there, he spent a productive time with his thoughts, coming to ends with his lifestyle. Unfortunately, that didn't help with the battle much at all.

Do I have the strength
to know how I'll go?

Hopkins, again, writhed on the floor, shooting projectiles all over, hitting both Baron and Grockle. Uncomfortable and squeamish at the little projectiles hitting them, they spent a little time trying to shake it off, before Baron went back to self-contemplation and Grockle went back to preparing for his next move.

Can I find it inside
to deal with what I shouldn't know?

Squirtle might have been scraped, bleeding, and sore from almost every spot on his body possible, but he wasn't tired - oh, no not yet. He still had lots more fight in him! And, seeing as Baron failed to set up a shield this time, he found the strength to muster another torrent of water. Helped, again, by his inner strength, he let it loose in a violent stream at the unprotected lantern. Being doused with a frigid deluge of water at high pressure wasn't exactly healthy for Baron, who shivered a bit before jacking up the heat and resuming his introspection - worn out always being afraid; an endless stream of fear that I've made - why did he chicken out that first round, hiding behind a Protect? He was such a coward! And when he got hit by the Struggle Bug. Did he actually recoil in discomfort? He was disgusted at himself. He'd better change his ways! Next round, he'll fight! He'll take the water, and the projectiles, and whatever may come, without so much as a hint of fear!

You live it or lie it!
You live it or lie it!
(You live it or lie it,
You live it or lie it)

Grockle prepared once again to take Squirtle out, establishing a link with the Turtle. But his squeamishness of the residue bug energy and the feeling and the sliminess and ugh got to him and his attack, he knew, wasn't quite representative of his potential. Heck, he didn't even succeed in knocking Squirtle out, though he did get close, he could tell. Squirtle's breathing was laboured and he had to lean on his knees for support. He bent his head down and took a few seconds to rest and prepare for next action.

Images of death flashed before Squirtle's eyes. What would he do differently, next time, were there to be a next time? Just as he began expressing regret in his mind, he straightened himself out and stood back up. He wasn’t quite dead yet! Although his time in the battle was nearly up, he could still help make a difference in it! He staggered into position, knowing that he although couldn't take much more, he'd still work hard, and try his very best. Just then, Metallica launched into the elevator-music-style bridge:
Keep searching, keep on searching,
This search goes on, this search goes on
Keep searching, keep on searching,
This search goes on, on and on

Baron, deciding that he had resolved enough to change his life, focussed back on the battle. Had it really been an action already? Oh well, no use introspecting about that lost time now, he contemplated, as he listened to the song (Fran-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-toc, fran-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-toc, fran-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-toc, fran-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-toc!). He went ahead and spat out a massive tongue of flame, which hit Hopkins and expanded in five directions from the unfortunate spider as fans who hadn't already done so scurried to get out of the area. When the fired cleared enough for the referee to see, Hopkins had been singed all over but, as far as he could tell, not "burnt" enough so as for the residual pain to be considerate. Brushing herself off, she again squirmed on the floor, sending packets of bug energy which hit both Grockle and Baron, both of which were quite put off by this attack. She stole a brief glance at Metallica, oblivious to this destruction as ever, and heard snippets of some sort of a melody and some lyrics:
Do I have the strength
to know how I'll go?
Can I find it inside
to deal with what I shouldn't know?

Squirtle, up to now laying low, raised his head with some difficulty. Preparing all this time, he could only hope that his efforts would not be in vain. Spotting Baron, he spun his head, and unleashed a tremendous burst of water, powered by both his desperation and his ability. Knowing to make the best use of his remaining power (Do I have the strength to know how I'll go? Can I find it inside to deal with what I shouldn't know?), he pushed himself that much harder, but to no avail - Baron seemed to be unaffected by the effects of water, even at this pressure, at least for this round, as he found himself being protected by a magical force.

My lifestyle - birth is pain - determines my deathstyle
A rising tide - life is pain - that pushes to the other side
My lifestyle - death is pain - determines my deathstyle
A rising tide - it's all the same - that pushes to the other side

Squirtle couldn't take much more of this. He sat down, then lied back on his carapace, resigned to his fate (Keep searching, keep on searching; this search goes on; on and on). At least he knew that he had done to his very best - and that was all that mattered! Prepared for anything that may come, he contented himself and enjoyed the music:
Keep searching, keep on searching;
This search goes on; on and on

As it were, so did Grockle. Listening to the lyrics and think really, really hard about them, he forgot to attack, and when he came to, he decided that he wouldn't have enough time to, so he might as well sit back and listen to the final lyrics of the song:
Fran-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-toc!

And for once, all was quiet on the battlefield as the battlers and their trainers all listened to the riffs and beats that were Metallica at the end.

Round 4 end!

Damage and Energy Calculations

Action 1
Protect: 12 energy
Struggle Bug: 3 energy, 5 damage (Grockle)
Hydro Pump: would have done 29 damage, 10 energy
Giga Drain: 9 damage, 6 energy, +5 health

Action 2
Struggle Bug: 3 energy; 5 damage to Grockle, 1 damage to Baron
Hydro Pump: 29 damage, 10 energy
Giga Drain: 7 damage, 6 energy, +4 health

Action 3
Fire Blast: 20 damage, 9 energy
Struggle Bug: 3 energy; 5 damage to Grockle, 1 damage to Baron
Hydro Pump: 29 (capped at 9) damage, 10 energy
Badly Poisoned: 4 damage

Pokémon

Team Some Small History
Metallica Fanboy (OO)
Active
Joltik
Hopkins
Joltik with ability Compoundeyes
Health:27%
Energy:63%
Condition: Paralyzed (mild, 15%), Speed +2

エル. (OO)
Active
Squirtle
Squirtle
Squirtle with ability Torrent
Health:3%
Energy:24%
Condition: Torrent Activated
Missed (Protect) ~Hydro Pump @ Baron~Hydro Pump @ Baron

Team Thoughtcrime
Lord of the Fireflies (XO)
Active
Lampenteviolite
Baron
Lampent with ability Flame Body holding an Eviolite
Health:60%
Energy:79%
Condition: Sp. Atk -2
Protect ~ Failed ~ Fire Blast@Hopkins

The Omskivar (OO)
Active
Lotad
Grockle
Lotad with ability Swift Swim
Health:51%
Energy:56%
Condition: Badly Poisoned (4% this round, 5% next), Sp. Atk -4, Paralyzed (severe, 25%)
Giga Drain~Giga Drain~Failed

Notes:
  • No critical hits
  • All three Struggle Bugs lowered Grockle's Special Attack
  • Fire Blast did not cause a burn
  • Baron was in profound introspection on action 2 and Grockle on action 4
  • This was some luck you had there, Squirtle!

Arena Notes:
  • Song was Frantic; will change between this round and next

Next round:
  1. Team Thoughtcrime commands, chooses Hidden Power type
  2. Team Some Small History commands, choose Hidden Power type
  3. I ref (or Skyman takes over)

Last edited:
Now that I think everybody's back, disqualification warning for team Thoughtcrime. 48 hours.

Ughhhh

Grockle just you know what just Seed Bomb Squirtle until he's out for the count, then Natural Gift on Hopkins. If Seed Bomb won't work for whatever reason Natural Gift Hopkins, including if Hopkins moves to protect Squirtle.

Seed Bomb/Natural Gift x3

nothing to do here

Heat Wave away, Haze if both Protect / Detect, Taunt if they try anything Taunt would prevent (except Protect, Detect).

Heat Wave / Haze / Taunt x3

2015 Zhorken EDIT: 2 exp/happiness for Squirtle; 1 for Hopkins, Icarus, Grockle, and Baron; $12 each to Metallica Fanboy and Light; $8 each to Lord of the Fireflies and The Omskivar; $5 to bulbasaur.
2015 Zhorken EDIT 2: Make that 2 happiness for Icarus, thanks to that Soothe Bell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom