• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Meursault Vs Lord of the Fireflies

TruetoCheese

Be Bold (+Def, -Atk)
[size=+2]Meursault vs Lord of the Fireflies[/size]

Format: 4v4 single
Style: set best of three followed by a regular battle. see additional rules
DQ: ten days
Damage Cap: 35%
Banned/Restricted Moves: Super Fang, direct healing, Attract. Moves will never inflict confusion.
Arena Description: Cliffside Beach
A long beach with a tall, rocky cliff on one side, and the ocean on the other. There are rocks scattered around, but it's mostly sandy.
Additional Rules: Trainers will PM all 4 Pokémon choices to the ref, along with which one they will send out first. The ref reveals the first picks, as well as the bench picks, and the battle proceeds in 4 bouts of 1v1 battles. Bouts end when there's a knockout, and after all four bouts, the trainers have a standard single battle with their remaining Pokémon to determine the winner.

Meursault's active squad

baltoy Ruin the genderless Baltoy <Levitate> @ Moon Stone
ferroseed Myryam the female Ferroseed <Iron Barbs> @ Occa Berry
monferno Ringi Cordeiro the female Monferno <Blaze> @ Lucky Egg
slakoth Mawatari Yuzuko the female Slakoth <Truant> @ Expert Belt
slowpoke Łebsko the female Slowpoke <Oblivious> @ Lum Berry
natu Setsuna the female Natu <Synchronize> @ Lucky Egg
azurill Chibiusa the female Azurill <Huge Power> @ Soothe Bell
budew Mamoru the male Budew <Poison Point> @ Big Root
noibat Kath the male Noibat <Infiltrator> @ Lucky Egg
gible Haruka the female Gible <Sand Veil> @ Lucky Egg

Lord of the Fireflies's active squad

mawile Alice in Chain Chomps the female Mawile <Intimidate> @ Sachet
monferno Lewis Knaveburn the male Monferno <Blaze> @ Lucky Egg
froslass Autumn of Ambitions the female Froslass <Snow Cloak> @ Bright Powder
accelgor Jules Vernfield the male Accelgor <Hydration> @ Reaper Cloth
absol Dame Noire the female Absol <Pressure> @ Electirizer
dunsparce Hats Justhats the male Dunsparce <Serene Grace> @ Rocky Helmet
klefki Keyrielle Phlebotinum the female Klefki <Prankster> @ Red Card
corsola Moonflower the female Corsola <Hustle> @ Zoom Lens
sneasel Mia Rhinestone the female Sneasel <Inner Focus> @ Razor Claw
cottonee Marlboro of Eastcloud the male Cottonee <Infiltrator> @ Sun Stone

-Select four of your lovely maidens and maimens and who you would like to send out first.
-Do you want me to post command order now or after the PMs? Since it could affect choices.
-Also the shiny party sprites for Cottonee and Froslass appear to be out of commission. I know there is no way this can be forgiven, but please find it in your heart to continue with just a green sheep :C (If you choose them, LotF, I'll put 'em as shinies in the battle)

-Hell, it's a bout time.

-FUCK I FORGOT THE PERIOD AFTER THE VS

Not that it's relevant in this matchup, but Łebsko has Sheer Ignorance, which I think has been approved? Not entirely sure here.

Also, command order gets posted with the teams.

It hasn't been approved yet. Approved attributes are listed in the second post in the Signature Booking Office.

Got it, thanks. Jack's response sounded like he was approving it but I wasn't sure; didn't notice the list.

Yeah, I didn't see Lebsko's SIG TRIB on the list when I was drawing up the squads, so I didn't throw it in.

Aaaaanyway, on to the festivities! (The bolded Pokemon are your starting choices)

monferno Ringi Cordeiro the female Monferno <Blaze> @ Lucky Egg
baltoy Ruin the genderless Baltoy <Levitate> @ Moon Stone
gible Haruka the female Gible <Sand Veil> @ Lucky Egg
slakoth Mawatari Yuzuko the female Slakoth <Truant> @ Expert Belt
cottonee Marlboro of Eastcloud the male Cottonee <Infiltrator> @ Sun Stone
corsola Moonflower the female Corsola <Hustle> @ Zoom Lens
sneasel Mia Rhinestone the female Sneasel <Inner Focus> @ Razor Claw
monferno Lewis Knaveburn the male Monferno <Blaze> @ Lucky Egg

*flips a coin*
*coin is in the air*
*checks coin*
*coin is still in the air*
*checks watch*
*coin is still in the air*
*coin lands on its side*
*opens random.org*

-Lord of the Fireflies commands first!
-Meursault commands third! Wait nevermind, second, since we seem to have two competitors.

argh

Use Tailwind, then Stun Spore and Nature Power while floating above the water! If you're taunted, use Frustration and vent out as much as you can! If they Protect an you're not Taunted on the second or last action, use Cotton Guard.

Tailwind / Frustration ~ Stun Spore / Frustration / Cotton Guard ~ Nature Power / Frustration / Cotton Guard

hm. let's go with:

Encore (wait for Tailwind) ~ Nasty Plot ~ Heat Wave

Last edited:
It is common knowledge amongst Asberians that ASB is the only thing that they breathe. Any other form of media, consumption or contact-by-proximity is tantamount to sin. And this is why the resident trainers go to great lengths to hide their worldly weaknesses. The current ruling Lord, of the of the Fireflies family, and Sault, of the Meur family of reversed naming conventions, were avid TCG players (before they met their respectively grisly ends at the hands and firearms of the Asber Hobby Containment Unit).

Meursault shifted her weight from one foot to another, then back again. Her hands kneading sweat into each other’s palms. “What if we had a bench?” she asked.

“To sit on? I wouldn’t mind. Storage rooms aren’t all their cracked up to be.” Of the Fireflies was leaned against a wall, perhaps by force, perhaps by his own affinity to being encircled by brooms and buckets. His neck was locked in place, straining to achieve the maximum possible height; dare he let the bristles come close to his manicured face.

“No I meant for the…” Meursault caught the word in her mouth and carefully signed the letters T, C and then G in quick succession. Her hands were shivering by the time she got to the last letter, so it was more like two O’s.

Of the Fireflies’ ruling party understood, however. “Oh, yeah we can have like four mons. Was it four? I’m pretty sure it was four.”

“Four is still good, yes.” Meursault reassured him.

“But no switching.”

“What?”

“I hate switching.”

Meursault sighed. “Fine, it’ll be four one-on-ones, yeah? Mano to mano.” she pressed her hands together, to support the use of foreign language.

“So we’ll need four prize cards then.” Of the Fireflies counted the bristles one by one. Until he got to four.

“Four? The standard is six and you know it.”

“But we’re doing four Mon-o to Mon-o,” Of the Fireflies recounted four bristles, just to make sure. Then he chuckled because he made a humour. “But if we use two more prize cards, what would we do with them? Six on six is madness!” He was sure.

Meursault was slightly miffed at this, why would her glowy TCompatriot care so much about the number of mons. “Dummy,” she began without thinking, a normal preface when telling Fireflies’ that he’s wrong, “we’ll just…” she pursed her lips, “have a normal battle with whatever lives!”

Of the Fireflies’ grinned widely, then retracted his cheeks because they were getting dangerously close to the bristles. “But what if I win?” he said through a frozen smile.

Meursault countered. “But what if I do?”

“Well, then I guess we’d have the same situation!”

They both thought of this for a moment. And then another one.

“Where would we battle?” Fireflies’ said after both the moments had passed.

Battle? Meursault was sure that wasn’t the official term, though maybe she hadn’t caught up with modern TCG lingo. “Uh…”

“There’s a cliff outside.” Of the Fireflies had been staring at a window, due to his paralysed position, and had noted the many intricate patterns that dust could form.

“Why would we due- err, battle on a cliff?” Meursault caught her mislingo just in time.

“Loser jumps off.”

Meursault had to agree this was a point in favour of the battleground. It would also be a helpful suicide mechanism when the Hobby Containment Unit found them.

When they arrived at the Cliffside a few days later, Meursault was laden with three pre-constructed decks, two tailored to a possible combination of cards within Of the Fireflies’ collection and one that was purely NIGHT MARCH.

Of the Fireflies thought they were having a Pokemon battle, citing TCG as The Conventional Game, i.e battling.

Meursault thought this explained a few of the mislingoes.

And so they had a Pokemon battle, but kind of like a TCG one.

Meursault wanted vengeance for this slight against all that was rectangular and papery, and was greatly amused when her monkey made of fire found a sheep. Sheep were highly flammable, so Of the Fireflies was already making backup plans.

Round One

Lord of the Fireflies
corsolasneaselmonferno
Spr_5b_546_s.png

Marlboro of Eastcloud
Cottonee (M) [Infiltrator] @ Sun Stone
Health: 100% | Energy: 100%
Condition: “Sheep don’t smoke, but I think I’m about to.”
Tailwind / Frustration ~ Stun Spore / Frustration / Cotton Guard ~ Nature Power / Frustration / Cotton Guard

Meursault
baltoygibleslakoth
monferno
Ringi Cordeiro
Monferno (F) [Blaze] @ Lucky Egg
Health: 100% | Energy: 100%
Condition: ”This looks baaaaaaaad for you.”
Encore (wait for Tailwind) ~ Nasty Plot ~ Heat Wave

Marlboro of Eastcloud curled his leaves up in dismay, his sparkling green eyes fearful in the light of the Monferno’s flame. As his eyes adjusted to the fear, he noted that the tailflame happened to be the only source of fire on the otherwise regular monkey. Maybe he could put it out? Maybe a blast of wind of some sort. It would be pretty grand. He unfurled his leaves and thrust them out in front of him. He squeezed his eyes shut, forming creases of concentration on his forehead. His groan of determination was more of a squeak, but it was a sound nonetheless. A burst of wind picked up from somewhere under Marlboro, an undisclosed location that would remain so. The Cottonee upended and started flipping about midair, leaves now flat and carrying him around. He squeaked a wee.

Ringi thought that was pretty cool. Ringi clapped. The roar of the galestorm did nothing to muffle the sound of appreciation coming from the monkey. Her flame may not have gone out, merely flickered, but the attempt was a cleverly calculated effort. Marlboro flopped down, his cotton plopping gently onto the ground. He cocked his head, which was his whole body, in interest. Ringi continued making the loud, slapping sound with the flat of her palms. Marlboro gulped, then looked behind him. Was he being applauded? Marlboro flipped upwards and unleashed another storm of wind from an undisclosed location.

Ringi was quite pleased with this turn of events. Quite pleased indeed. Most certainly pleased. Her claps slowed, and a sneer spread across her face. The kind where holding a torch under it would scare small children. The grimacing countenance’s hands slipped into each other and their long digits began tapping their counterparts on the other hand. Oh yes, this was quite pleasing.

Marlboro disclosed and undiscloseable burst of wind from a place.

Ringi took this as the perfect time to strike. Time to show Marlboro what real wind was like. Ringi raised her arms high above her head, another feat that would scare small children, and flightless birds as well, then flung them down. There was a rumbling behind her, the noise of an invisible train running on invisible tracks. As if air itself was about to break open from the pressure. Ringi huffed and expanded her tailflame. It flared up just in time for the wind to crash into it, the colourless force turning into tongues of orange light. Marlboro shrieked as the fire pushed through his own wall of wind, he desperately flapped his ears to try and make them pick up further. But the heat was too much, even the sweat of his efforts was evaporating before him. The fire wrapped around and over like a cocoon, the flames reaching out and slashing at him as they passed. It was as if the fire was just passing by, a mindless entity just roiling across the landscape. Marlboro a mere vegetable in its wake. The Cottonee rolled over on the ground, fur glazed with heat; puffs even falling off to reveal soft grey skin beneath. He bawled, half in awe and half in pain. One day, he would make wind like that come out of an undisclosed location, and by Suicune’s northerly expulsions he would keep trying.

Lord of the Fireflies
corsolasneaselmonferno
Spr_5b_546_s.png

Marlboro of Eastcloud
Health: 80% | Energy: 88%
Condition: Encored (1 more action), Tailwind in effect (1 more action)
“I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I sear.”
Tailwind ~ Tailwind ~ Tailwind

Meursault
baltoygibleslakoth
monferno
Ringi Cordeiro
Health: 100% | Energy: 90%
Condition: +2 Special Attack
”Burn, baby burn~ Disco Monferno~”
Encore ~ Nasty Plot ~ Heat Wave

A3:
Heat Wave: Accuracy (85/100, HIT), Effect Chance (58/100, NO EFFECT)

Calculations:
Marlboro's Health:
100 – 20 (Heat Wave) = 80%

Marlboro's Energy:
100 – 4 * 3 (Tailwind) = 88%

Ringi's Health:
100%

Ringi's Energy:
100 – 4 (Encore) -2 (Nasty Plot) – 4 (Heat Wave) = 90%

Notes:
-Tailwind does not work if it is already in effect, but Marlboro’s still really fast.
-Marlboro will move first on the first action of the next round (Using Tailwind, funnily enough) and then Ringi will be faster once again. This will restate the natural sheep and monkey order unless further speed changes occur.
-Reffing after a while, so any comments, questions or critiques are appreciated.
-Meursault may untap and draw, then command.

EDIT: May have forgotten to mention that Marlboro need not expend any energy to float above the water, since he's so light. The Tailwind helped too.

Last edited:
sorry to nitpick, but by my calcumalator, heat wave shoulda done floor((9.5*1.25 + 2)*1.5) = 20 which is why i used it and not flamethrower

also you neglected to actually subtract health or energy from either of us in the final stats.

real commands some time later this weekend

sorry to nitpick, but by my calcumalator, heat wave shoulda done floor((9.5*1.25 + 2)*1.5) = 20 which is why i used it and not flamethrower

also you neglected to actually subtract health or energy from either of us in the final stats.

real commands some time later this weekend

Whoops, fixed the issues. My calc rounded down at the BP part, mistakenly, resulting in a final 19.5

EDIT: Error may have occurred when I ported it to the new Excel. I'll check out me formulae now.

Kayo. We're gonna lead with a taunt because we are the only ones who get to be tricksy round these parts. From there, use Fire Spin if Marlboro isnt already over the water - or heat wave if he is, but be ready to use Protect instead of heat wave in case he uses hydro pump. End with a Fire Blast if you didnt heat wave last action, or incinerate if you did. Regardless, protect against any hydro pumps on the third action iff you didnt on the second.

Taunt ~ Fire Spin/Heat Wave/Protect ~ Fire Blast/Incinerate/Protect

Welp, we have no choice but to Tailwind first action... Next, we... don't have a lot of options. He'll have to wait for us to do something in case we were to use Hydro Pump, so we'll use this opportunity to use Endeavor before we get trapped in that Fire Spin. We'll finish with Dazzling Gleam.

Tailwind ~ Endeavor ~ Dazzling Gleam

Round Two

Lord of the Fireflies
corsolasneaselmonferno
Spr_5b_546_s.png

Marlboro of Eastcloud
Health: 80% | Energy: 88%
Condition: Encored (1 more action), Tailwind in effect (1 more action)
“I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I sear.”
Tailwind ~ Endeavor ~ Dazzling Gleam

Meursault
baltoygibleslakoth
monferno
Ringi Cordeiro
Health: 100% | Energy: 90%
”Burn, baby burn~ Disco Monferno~”
Taunt ~ Fire Spin/Heat Wave/Protect ~ Fire Blast/Incinerate/Protect

Marlboro twisted his leaves about again, floating above the bay on a gust of his own. He shut his eyes and unwound his greenery, causing him to spin about in the air, unleashing several spouts of air. Ringi had long tired of Marlboro’s efforts, knowing that he could never stand up to her flaming wind. Other monkeys threw poop, but Ringi threw insults. And wind. She would one up that foolish fluff. Again! Even her words were more powerful than his limp gusts. Her mouth opened, and Marlboro flinched at the hint of fire, but he met only spittle and hatred.

“I HAVE OPPOSABLE THUMBS,” Ringi waggled her two offending digits right at her foe’s face. Marlboro was buffeted by his own lack of limbs more than his lack of wind. He gulped, holding back tears. He had to, because he did not have thumbs, and therefore hands, with which to wipe them. The wet heat of his own internal sorrow was slapped by his own tailwind, causing them to spread sparkling into the sky behind him. Ringi’s eyes widened when she saw the trail of little shining tears spreading into the sky, then here mouth widened and she pointed and laughed.

Marlboro growled, a low, guttural and very squeaky bleat. That was, as the pundits of his sheep brotherhood would put it, a baaaaad move. He flapped his ear-hand-wing-leaves and jolted downwards, careening in an arc towards the Monferno as recklessly as sheepishly possible. This had been a grave tactical error on Marlboro’s part, but he was too blinded by his own rage to notice that. Ringi fell to the ground, on her back, and gripped the sand with her opposable thumbs. She then wriggled them about to make a point that went ignored by her opponent. With a growl she arched her shoulders and pulled at the ground, then wrenched herself free by shoving her torso the other way. The Monferno spun on the ground, tail raised and leaving a curling trail of fire. Marlboro fanned out his leaves to take in the situation, but he was too slow in realizing. He leapt for the nearest exit, but a coil of flame beat him to it, leaving him trapped within a torn cylinder of heat.

Through tears in the rotating wall of fire where a lick of flame tried to catch up with another he saw the gaze of his enemy. Ringi took a step back and unleashed a stream of fire that grew into the shape of a dai. The blast propelled itself forward, moving with a will of its own until it phased through the tornado of flame and enveloped Marlboro.

Ringi could only hear the screams, and hacked out a chunk of steam. A flash of light grabbed her attention, a crackle from underneath the sheet of embers. Was that thing evolving in the middle of battle? Ringi knew this was Anime-Style but surely it wasn’t that Anime. She peered closer to the tornado, breathing slowly so as not to alert Marlboro to her presence. But it was not enough. The world went white, scalding her eyeballs. She grabbed at them, trying to rest the pupils in the dark of her paws. Her fingers curled, gripping her forehead and cheeks tightly until the shock went away. She could hear the light in her eyes popping. Which made no sense, but neither did the laughter of fae coming from her irises.

Lord of the Fireflies
corsolasneaselmonferno
Spr_5b_546_s.png

Marlboro of Eastcloud
Health: 46% | Energy: 76%
Condition: Taunted (1 more action), Trapped in Fire Spin (2 more actions)
“I am in a fire churro, this is disconcerting.”
Tailwind ~ Endeavor (Failed) ~ Dazzling Gleam

Meursault
baltoygibleslakoth
monferno
Ringi Cordeiro
Health: 90% | Energy: 79%
”when I close my eyes I see pixies”
Taunt ~ Fire Spin ~ Fire Blast

A2:
Fire Spin: Accuracy (66/100, HIT)

A3:
Fire Blast: Accuracy (47/100, HIT), Effect (97/100, NO EFFECT)

Calculations:
Marlboro's Health:
80 – 9 (Fire Spin) – 23 (Fire Blast) 1 * 2 (Residual Fire Spin Damage) = 46%

Marlboro's Energy:
88 – 4 (Tailwind) – 5 (Endeavor) – 3 (Dazzling Gleam) = 76%

Ringi's Health:
100 – 10 (Dazzling Gleam) = 90%

Ringi's Energy:
90 – 4 (Taunt) – 1 (Fire Spin) – 6 (Fire Blast) = 79%

Notes:
-Endeavor failed because Ringi was ordered to Protect instead of Heat Wave, which was only to be used if Marlboro was over the water. Marlboro had come in for an Endeavor, so was not over the water for a while. Considering the 15 base speed difference, I’d just barely let Ringi drop the Fire Spin in time. Of course, this meant Endeavor failed (I deducted only half its energy cost for that). But I was still kind of iffy on this decision, so if you can make a countercase with, your opponent’s agreement, for it I’d be willing to change it.
-As Marlboro was faster on the first action, Ringi Taunted after the failwind.
-The damage cap likes it when you nudge it.
-I gave Fire Blast an accuracy jump to 95 since Marlboro was in the Fire Spin, but it would’ve hit anyway.
-You actually made me check if Cottonee learns Hydro Pump. Props >.>

-Fireflies may activate any instants after blockers have been declared command

Last edited:
I'm kiiiiiinda iffy on that, since, you know, Ringi had to wait and see... 15 isn't enough to make Fire Spin work imho, especially since it's not exactly a fast attack... Also I'm in a pretty dire situation :'D

Well, if Meursault is fine with it, I'm down. (I actually had an alternate bit for the Endeavor thing written, so it'll be easy on my end).

Like, in a case like this, I allow stuff like Protect / Priority to be used reactively even if the user is ordered to wait and see what happens, but usually when there are conditionals like this I make the user move last within its priority bracket, but if Meursault disagrees, I guess I'll have to go with!

The main issue is that Ringi was ordered "to use Protect instead of heat wave in case he uses hydro pump". So as soon as Marlboro came off the water Ringi would've disregarded that command and Fire Spun. Is what I thought it would be like, at least. But 15 speed isn't significant, true. I leave it up to Meursault.

mmm yeah no, I did deliberately write my commands such that Ringi should use Fire Spin in this situation, but if LotF feels that strongly about it I'm fine with getting a second opinion from a higher rank ref.

Looking back it does make sense...

hgnnnnnnnn worrrrssst match-up

let's try to do some damage at least

Go for Dazzling Gleam again, then as soon as you're free from Taunt go for Nature Power, then Endeavor when you're free from Dazzling Gleam. If they Protect, go for Growth, unless it's on the first action in which case you'll Hidden Power. If you can't use Nature Power for some reason on the second action, go for Dazzling Gleam. If on the last action they would prevent the Endeavor by trapping / fleeing far off, Nature Power.

Dazzling Gleam ~ Nature Power / Dazzling Gleam / Growth ~ Endeavor / Nature Power / Growth

i'm gonna go ahead and assume you meant to say 'free from fire spin' rather than dazzling gleam :v

go for two Poison Jabs and a Fake Out on the last action. i don't think you should have trouble attacking through your own fire spin, but if it doesn't seem feasible then use Incinerate instead.

Poison Jab/Incinerate ~ Poison Jab/Incinerate ~ Fake Out

Back
Top Bottom