• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli

Which Miyazaki films have you seen?

• The Wind Rises

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Ponyo

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Howl's Moving Castle

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • Spirited Away

Votes: 14 87.5%
  • Princess Mononoke

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Porco Rosso

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Kiki's Delivery Service

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • My Neighbor Totoro

• Castle in the Sky

• Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters
People often say Studio Ghibli is a good introduction to anime, but I disagree. It's become a tradition now that every time I'm home at my parents' house, we watch another Miyazaki film. Every time my mum asks "Is this going to be as weird as the other ones?"

I've seen Castle in the Sky, Princess Mononoke, Spirted Away, Howl's Moving Castle, My Neighbour Totoro, and Kiki's Delivery Service. Not sure which my favourite is. Maybe Princess Mononoke?

I agree with others that the plot of Howl's Moving Castle is a bit off. It's okay until about half way in but then it kind of falls apart.

While I can't say I can see Hoenn being Miyazaki inspired, I can definitely tell that the world of LoZ: Breath of the Wild is.

People often say Studio Ghibli is a good introduction to anime, but I disagree. It's become a tradition now that every time I'm home at my parents' house, we watch another Miyazaki film. Every time my mum asks "Is this going to be as weird as the other ones?"

I've seen Castle in the Sky, Princess Mononoke, Spirted Away, Howl's Moving Castle, My Neighbour Totoro, and Kiki's Delivery Service. Not sure which my favourite is. Maybe Princess Mononoke?

I agree with others that the plot of Howl's Moving Castle is a bit off. It's okay until about half way in but then it kind of falls apart.

While I can't say I can see Hoenn being Miyazaki inspired, I can definitely tell that the world of LoZ: Breath of the Wild is.
I agree that Studio Ghibli films are very different from your typical anime series.

I mean I agree with you there.

It's a very family friendly studio. Totoro is one of my go-to examples of a really good family film that isn't dumbed down or contain sneaky adult jokes, along with things like The Snowman or Wallace and Gromit. But what I meant was that anecdotal experience from my parents suggests that even these films are apparently too out there for non-anime-watchers to get into.

oh i do REAALLY like the music from princess mononoke and almost watched it once but never did, i forget why...

-Spirited Away
-Princess Mononoke

I watched the same two films! I’ve also seen The Cat Returns but that’s not on the poll.

Ghibli’s focus on being whimsical, family-friendly and somewhat old-fashioned (I think the word I’m looking for is quaint?) doesn’t really do it for me, but their works aimed at slightly older audiences - such as Princess Mononoke- I really like. The animation is also spectacular.

Jumping in here to say: I’ve had very little attention span for media lately (watching/playing like, 20 minutes of movies/games at a time) and the other day, I sat down and watched the entirety of Howl’s Moving Castle just like, all at once. Miyazaki movies just are so wholesome.

oh i do REAALLY like the music from princess mononoke and almost watched it once but never did, i forget why...

-Spirited Away
-Princess Mononoke

I watched the same two films! I’ve also seen The Cat Returns but that’s not on the poll.

Ghibli’s focus on being whimsical, family-friendly and somewhat old-fashioned (I think the word I’m looking for is quaint?) doesn’t really do it for me, but their works aimed at slightly older audiences - such as Princess Mononoke- I really like. The animation is also spectacular.

Oh, that list was only the studio ghibli movies i needed to get around to seeing.
i've still yet to see either one of those ;w;

Back
Top Bottom