• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Mr. Ultracool vs kokorico

Sandstone-Shadow

A chickadee in love with the sky
Pronoun
she/her
Mr. Ultracool vs kokorico

Mr. Ultracool's active squad

meowth Mauzi the male Meowth <Technician>
ralts Sophie the female Ralts <Trace>
treecko Gecki the male Treecko <Overgrow>

kokorico's active squad

phantump Gwyddien the male Phantump <Frisk> @ Big Root
hawlucha Cuāuhocēlōtl the female Hawlucha <Unburden> @ Power Herb
treecko Baldridge the male Treecko <Overgrow> @ Eviolite

Format: 3v3 Single
Style: Set
DQ: 1 Week
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned/Restricted Moves: -
Arena Description: A small, hard-packed dirt field with nothing standing in the way of the two Pokemon duking it out.
Additional Rules: Unevolved Pokemon only.

Turn order (randomized):

@kokorico sends out a Pokémon
@Mr. Ultracool sends out a Pokémon and posts commands
kokorico posts commands

Copying this from Eif's latest thread:
Eifie said:
Let me know if you have any questions on how to play! You can look at other battle threads for examples of commands; the most basic form is just move 1 ~ move 2 ~ move 3. You might want to give conditional commands if you're the one commanding first since you don't know what the other person is going to do. Those are like "use move A, but if your opponent is Protecting then use move B instead" and you would write the command string like move A / move B ~ second command ~ third command. I recommend just starting with whatever commands you feel like giving and not worrying too much about strategy; you can try out more complex things later on!

Eifie will ref; I will write descriptions and post! Feel free to ask questions on how things work. Good luck both of you!

One more note: please feel free to ask me how something will work if you're giving a command that isn't 100% by-the-book (for example, using a move in a special way, or ordering a combo); I'll be happy to tell you how I would ref it. You can either write a message on my profile or send me a PM if it's a strategy you want to keep private.

All right, Baldridge, time for your first battle! Show them what you're made of!

treecko

Also, before we get started properly, can I confirm how switching works? My understanding from reading the rules sticky is that it counts as an action, which then ends the round. So, for example, if Mr. Ultracool were to send out Mauzi (who outspeeds Baldridge) and command Tackle ~ Tackle ~ Tackle while I commanded Toxic ~ Switch to Gwyddien, then there would be a total of three moves executed (Tackle, Toxic, Tackle) and then Baldridge would switch out and the round would end. Do I have that right?

Great! Mauzi, I choose you!
Pokémonsprite_052_SW.gif

So, I'll open with [Hypnosis], then [Fury Swipes] and finish with [Gunk Shot]. Am I already allowed to use all moves Meowth can learn according to the ASB rules at level 1, by the way?

Okay, Baldridge, you've got this! But it would be bad if you fell asleep just as you made your grand martial arts debut, so put up a Protect to obscure whatever that Meowth's trying to distract you with. Then get your own back with Power-Up Punch. If Gunk Shot hits, you'll probably be feeling in need of recovery, so use Drain Punch; otherwise use Power-Up Punch again.

Protect ~ Power-Up Punch ~ Drain Punch / Power-Up Punch

(I'm assuming here that Protect is actually capable of blocking status moves, like in the games. The database says the energy cost is 2% plus one-third of the damage it blocks, but doesn't seem to contemplate the idea of blocking non-damaging effects. If it wouldn't work at all, or if the cost would be ridiculously high (like double digits), I may need to rethink.)

@kokorico: This battle is set style, so you wouldn't be able to switch. How switching works in general is... a bit weird and not something I remember off the top of my head, so I'll get back to you on that.

Protect costs a flat 2% if it's protecting against a non-damaging move.

Oh, OK, I assumed "Set" meant the same thing as what the games call "set style" (i.e., you can switch on your turn, but you don't get a "free" switch after defeating an opponent like in "switch style"). If there's no switching at all then it doesn't matter, I guess.

Oh, OK, I assumed "Set" meant the same thing as what the games call "set style" (i.e., you can switch on your turn, but you don't get a "free" switch after defeating an opponent like in "switch style"). If there's no switching at all then it doesn't matter, I guess.
Ah, I forgot the definitions aren't the same as in the games. "Set" here means that if you recall a Pokémon, it's considered knocked out (so basically, there's no switching).

Great! Mauzi, I choose you!
View attachment 554

So, I'll open with [Hypnosis], then [Fury Swipes] and finish with [Gunk Shot]. Am I already allowed to use all moves Meowth can learn according to the ASB rules at level 1, by the way?
Also, I totally forgot to answer this, but yes that is correct. Pokémon don't really have levels in ASB. They have experience, which affects when they can evolve, causes them to inflict a bit of bonus damage on some refs' scales, and affects a few moves such as Psywave. You can use any move that is listed on Meowth's ASB db page, plus Chill and Struggle.

It's a mild, slightly-overcast day in the lands of ASB, but the bland day doesn't in the slightest dampen the spirits of two new trainers, eager to meet on the battlefield for the first time. Bouncing on one end of a small, dirt field is Mauzi the Meowth, testing his claws in the hard earth and turning the jewel on his head to catch the faint rays of light breaking through the clouds. Standing still and watchful on the other side is Baldridge the Treecko, arms crossed and eyes sharp.

Round One

Mr. Ultracool (3/3 left)
meowth
Mauzi
Ability: Technician
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%

kokorico (3/3 left)
treecko
Baldridge ♂ @ Eviolite
Ability: Overgrow
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%

------------------------------​

Baldridge moves first - or rather, doesn't move. Keeping his arms crossed, he rolls his shoulders back and shrugs an invisible dome around him; the only hint of its presence is a faint glimmer that matches the shine in his eyes. Outside the shield, Mauzi begins a rhythmic chant, moving his coin up, down, around; up, down, around. Unfortunately, it's only after he finishes his spell that the Meowth realizes it was pointed in the wrong direction. Baldridge smirks.

Mauzi's energetic smile slides away and he digs his back paws into the ground to propel himself at the Treecko, claws splayed. With a hiss, he slashes his claws down Baldridge's face once, twice, then gets slammed back by the Treecko's own fist. Baldridge barely had to move, and he feels more powerful than ever.

Now truly frustrated, Mauzi gargles up the foul remnants of whatever he had for lunch previously, mixes it with clawfuls of mud from the ground around him, and spits it at poor Baldridge. Baldridge's smug expression changes to one of pure disgust as the gunk seeps through his green skin. He retaliates with another punch, smacking Mauzi right in the stomach and stealing away some of the Meowth's life force.

Mr. Ultracool (3/3 left)
meowth
Mauzi
Health: 83% 82%
Energy: 88%
Used: Hypnosis ~ Fury Swipes ~ Gunk Shot

kokorico (3/3 left)
treecko
Baldridge ♂ @ Eviolite
Health: 84% 85%
Energy: 90%
Status: Ugh, gross. Poisoned (moderate, 4% damage per round). +1 Attack.
Used: Protect ~ Power-Up Punch ~ Drain Punch

Arena Status
  • The dirt field has some stray claw marks, but is otherwise undisturbed.

Damage and Energy
  • Mauzi's Health: 100% - 6% (Power-Up Punch) - 11% 12% (Drain Punch) = 83% 82%
  • Mauzi's Energy: 100% - 2% (Hypnosis) - 2% (Fury Swipes) - 8% (Gunk Shot) = 88%
  • Baldridge's Health: 100% - 4% (Fury Swipes) - 16% (Gunk Shot) + 5% 6% (Drain Punch) - 1% (poison) = 84% 85%
  • Baldridge's Energy: 100% - 2% (Protect) - 3% (Power-Up Punch) - 5% (Drain Punch) = 90%

Notes
  • Speed order: Mauzi (90) > Baldridge (70).
  • Fury Swipes hit 2 times. To remind myself that I did actually do everything for that calculation: 1.8 * 2 hits * 1.5 (Technician) * 1.25 (STAB) - 2 (Eviolite) rounds down to 4. 1.8 * 2 hits * 1.5 Technician = 5.4 -> 5% energy - 1% for STAB.
  • Gunk Shot poisoned Baldridge. Baldridge's poison will cause 4% damage per round, split over the actions as 1%/2%/1%.
  • Note from SS: sorry for the delay on this!
  • @kokorico commands first.

Last edited:
Well done, Baldridge! That could have gone a lot worse.

The focus on Fighting-type moves seems to be working out, so I reckon you should keep pressing on with Power-Up Punch and another couple of Drain Punches. Of course, if Mauzi tries another Hypnosis and manages to put you to sleep, that could end badly. Be ready to use Sleep Talk if you find yourself drifting off at any point this round.

Power-Up Punch / Sleep Talk ~ Drain Punch / Sleep Talk ~ Drain Punch / Sleep Talk

Well, Mauzi, it seems we won't have to waste a turn due to protect this time! Let's go with Hypnosis first. Then, if it fails, try right again, but if it succeeds, use Rain Dance. Afterwards, if you used Rain Dance, hit him with a super-accurate Thunder, if not, use Dream Eater to eat his sweet, sweet dreams!

Hypnosis ~ Hypnosis/ Rain Dance ~ Dream Eater/ Thunder

Apparently I am making all the mistakes this week, because I forgot to take Baldridge's attack boost into account for Drain Punch. It should've done 12% damage, not 11%, and Baldridge should've healed 6% instead of 5%. @Sandstone-Shadow plz fix😩

Round Two

Mr. Ultracool (3/3 left)
meowth
Mauzi
Health: 82%
Energy: 88%

kokorico (3/3 left)
treecko
Baldridge ♂ @ Eviolite
Health: 85%
Energy: 90%
Status: Ugh, gross. Poisoned (moderate, 4% damage per round). +1 Attack.

Mauzi isn't ready to give up his plan just yet. He hops up close to Baldridge and begins chanting again, swaying back and forth, reflecting light from his coin into the Treecko's eyes. This time, Baldridge's confident smile slips a bit, and his arms start to unfold as his eyes slowly, slowly close. He drops to his knees in the dirt, babbling in his sleep, and unconsciously calls up another shimmering barrier, but it fades immediately with nothing to block it.

Cackling with delight, Mauzi turns his attention up to the sky. He begins bouncing from one foot to the next, singing in a warbling meow that sounds utterly meaningless until suddenly the sky above crackles with lightning and thunder. All at once, rain begins to fall, soaking the two combatants and the dirt field around them. Still asleep, Baldridge murmurs up a second shield. It serves to keep the rain off of him, but little else.

With a final yowl, Mauzi raises his paws up to the sky, claws extended and gleaming, and a moderately-sized bolt of lightning shoots down straight into Baldridge. Without even flinching, Baldridge wakes up, scowls, and smacks the Meowth across the field with another punch.

Mr. Ultracool (3/3 left)
meowth
Mauzi
Health: 70%
Energy: 74%
Used: Hypnosis ~ Rain Dance ~ Thunder

kokorico (3/3 left)
treecko
Baldridge ♂ @ Eviolite
Energy: 79%
Status: Ugh, he's been sleeping on the job. Disgraceful. Poisoned (moderate, 4% damage per round). +1 Attack.
Used: Sleep Talk (Protect) ~ Sleep Talk (Protect) ~ Drain Punch

Arena Status
  • The dirt field is becoming muddy and slippery.
  • Rain continues to fall (7 more actions).

Damage and Energy
  • Mauzi's Health: 82% - 12% (Drain Punch) = 70%
  • Mauzi's Energy: 88% - 2% (Hypnosis) - 5% (Rain Dance) - 8% (Thunder) = 74%
  • Baldridge's Health: 85% - 5% (Thunder) + 6% (Drain Punch) - 4% (poison) = 82%
  • Baldridge's Energy: 90% - 3% (Sleep Talk (Protect)) - 3% (Sleep Talk (Protect)) - 5% (Drain Punch) = 79%

Notes
  • Speed order: Mauzi (90) > Baldridge (70).
  • r i p kokorico. blame random.org. (one action calc later) r i p Mr. Ultracool, Baldridge rolled a 98 and managed to wake up after only sleeping for 2 actions.
  • I can't remember the additional energy overhead Sleep Talk was supposed to have and I can no longer search old threads since the switch to XenForo so I'm just going to guess that it was an additional 1%.
  • Moves Baldridge has used this battle (for Sleep Talk purposes): Protect, Power-Up Punch, Drain Punch.
  • Thunder calculation: 11% base * 0.67 (resistance) rounds down to 7 - 2 (Eviolite) = 5%. Just barely missed the threshold to increase Baldridge's waking chance. But he woke up anyway.
  • @Mr. Ultracool commands first.

That Meowth seems to be setting up some sort of arcane ritual. Well, you can do the same! Kick things off with Swords Dance to counteract his defensive boost, then take advantage of his distraction to prepare a Focus Punch. Finally, turn that Gunk Shot back at him with Counter!

Swords Dance ~ Focus Punch ~ Counter

Round Three

Mr. Ultracool (3/3 left)
meowth
Mauzi
Health: 70%
Energy: 74%

kokorico (3/3 left)
treecko
Baldridge ♂ @ Eviolite
Energy: 79%
Status: Ugh, he's been sleeping on the job. Disgraceful. Poisoned (moderate, 4% damage per round). +1 Attack.

This calls for drastic action, Mauzi thinks to himself, his smile becoming grim and serious. His steps slow and he prances in a circle, scoring precise lines in the dirt as he goes, drawing arcane shapes and symbols. He mutters under his breath as he does so, and wicked gleams light both in his eyes and in the symbols on the ground. Not to be caught unprepared, Baldridge begins his own routine, spinning in quick twists, and dancing around imaginary traces of his future leaf-blade arms. Oh, to be a Grovyle, he pines.

Immediately upon completing his dance, Baldridge locks himself to the ground, gathering all his concentration into one razor-thin line. He's so focused that he doesn't even see the Meowth in front of him, and fortunately for Baldridge, Mauzi continues to occupy himself with his own demonic ritual. Unfortunately for Mauzi, this gives Baldridge just enough time to slam an incredibly-honed punch into the Meowth's side, right where it hurts the most. Mauzi yowls in pain, bent over and clutching his side.

Baldridge is a blur of clockwork movement on the field, transitioning seamlessly from his punch into a defensive stance, his hands clenched behind him. Meowth picks himself up from the ground and retches in the back of his throat, then shoots the gunk up at the poor Treecko. It hits Baldridge directly in the face and he shrieks in outrage; it drips into his mouth and nose, stinging his eyes, as he lashes out with a powerful return punch. Mauzi is knocked back and falls in the mud (my beautiful fur!) as Baldridge gags at the horrendous slime seeping into his skin.

Mr. Ultracool (3/3 left)
meowth
Mauzi
Health: 30% (capped)
Energy: 62%
Status: Arcane spirits, grant me strength... +2 Attack, +2 Defense, -2 Speed.
Used: Curse ~ Curse ~ Gunk Shot (crit)

kokorico (3/3 left)
treecko
Baldridge ♂ @ Eviolite
Health: 52%
Energy: 42%
Status: Absolutely disgusting! Outraged. Poisoned (moderate, 4% damage per round). +3 Attack.
Used: Swords Dance ~ Focus Punch (crit) ~ Counter

Arena Status
  • The dirt field is becoming muddy and slippery.
  • Rain continues to fall (4 more actions).

Damage and Energy
  • Mauzi's Health: 70% - 31% (Focus Punch) - 52% (Counter) = 30% (capped)
  • Mauzi's Energy: 74% - 2% (Curse) - 2% (Curse) - 8% (Gunk Shot) = 62%
  • Baldridge's Health: 82% - 26% (Gunk Shot) - 4% (poison) = 52%
  • Baldridge's Energy: 79% - 2% (Swords Dance) - 9% (Focus Punch) - 26% (Counter) = 42%

Notes
  • Speed order: Baldridge (70) > Mauzi (60 45).
  • In an attempt to win back kokorico's favour after last round, the random number gods bestowed upon Baldridge a critical hit for his Focus Punch.
  • Just kidding, Mauzi also got a critical hit on his Gunk Shot.
  • @kokorico commands first.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom