• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Mr. Ultracool vs kokorico

Holy shit Baldridge, that was a lot of damage!

Now, if we leave Mauzi to his own devices, I reckon he's going to try to hypnotise you again. He seems to have been slowed down by his weird ritual, though, so you should have time for one more move before he attacks you again. This is going to seem a bit weird, but I want you to try to grow a Worry Seed and then plant it on yourself. It might feel a bit unpleasant, but it'll protect you from falling asleep, and I promise to take you straight to the Pokémon Centre once this battle is over!

After that, you should be good to go. Keep hitting him with Drain Punch until he gives in!

Worry Seed (on self) ~ Drain Punch (on Mauzi) ~ Drain Punch (on Mauzi)

Mauzi, are you okay? You took a lot of damage in this fight - but if you hold out a little more, victory will be ours! Try ignoring the pain and send out a substitute, then, with your current state of health, put every last bit of your remaining power into what might very well be your final attack! However, you've got to be careful about not letting Baldridge hit you again, or it's going to be over - if the Substitute ever fades from his Drain Punches, put up another one right then and there!

Substitute (15%) ~ Last Resort/ Substitute (10%) ~ Last Resort/ Substitute (10%)

Last edited:
@Mr. Ultracool: the smallest possible size for a Substitute is 10% (so a Pokémon cannot make a 5% Substitute). With that in mind, do you want to revise that part of your commands?

(Note: normally I wouldn't give you a chance to do this and would just treat it as an order for Substitute (10%), but it's both of your first battles so I'm being lenient. Hope you don't mind, kokorico!)

Sorry about posting an incorrect list of commands! I actually wanted to use 10% on the second Substitute - somehow, I must have gotten confused, there... 😓

Round Four

Mr. Ultracool (3/3 left)
meowth
Mauzi
Ability: Technician
Health: 30%
Energy: 62%
Status: Arcane spirits, grant me strength... +2 Attack, +2 Defense, -2 Speed.

kokorico (3/3 left)
treecko
Baldridge ♂ @ Eviolite
Ability: Overgrow
Health: 52%
Energy: 42%
Status: Absolutely disgusting! Outraged. Poisoned (moderate, 4% damage per round). +3 Attack.

------------------------------​

Baldridge grimaces when he hears his next command. He's already covered in grime, and now this?! An outrage! But he grits his teeth and holds up his hand, letting a tiny seed root there. Instead of plucking it off and hurling it at Mauzi, he lets it stay there, latching into his skin and crawling up his arm. It's the arm he uses to lock his door - wait, did he lock the door when he left? Now he's remembering the emails he needs to answer and the papers he needs to write and, ugh, the poison seeping into his skin is making him feel faint. What if he's really seriously sick and an Antidote can't cure him?! Hey, pipe down over there, I'm trying to think! he shouts at Mauzi, who is cackling and yowling with glee as he plays in the mud, constructing a not-too-shabby impression of a Meowth. And since Mauzi's fur is covered in mud at this point anyway, it's really hard to tell the difference...

...which is what Baldridge tries to tell himself when his furious punch goes astray and punches a mud Meowth in the face instead. Oh no, Baldridge worries, I should really get my eyes checked... how long has it been since I made an appointment? Crouched behind his substitute, Mauzi can barely stand at all, but the fight must go on and he does so, slowly, painfully. Then he sees the massive hole in his beautifully-carved mud statue, and he gets a sudden surge of energy to throw himself at Baldridge, claws flashing, fangs bared, coin blazing. Baldridge would pay for this!

After Baldridge struggles out from under the writhing fury of cat, he lashes out again with a second punch, but once more, it clips the substitute instead of Mauzi. Mauzi yowls in despair as the mud Meowth completely crumbles to the ground, and he spends the rest of his action clumsily rebuilding it. It's not perfect, but it's fixed as well as his shaking paws allow.

Mr. Ultracool (3/3 left)
meowth
Mauzi
Health: 5%
Status: Frustrated and desperate. Has a Substitute (10%). +2 Attack, +2 Defense, -2 Speed.
Used: Substitute (15%) ~ Last Resort ~ Substitute (10%)

kokorico (3/3 left)
treecko
Baldridge ♂ @ Eviolite
Ability: Overgrow Insomnia
Health: 42%
Energy: 28%
Status: Everyone worries about not turning off the oven, but what if he really forgot this time?! Has a Worry Seed. Poisoned (moderate, 4% damage per round). +3 Attack.
Used: Worry Seed (self) ~ Drain Punch ~ Drain Punch

Arena Status
  • The dirt field is becoming muddy and slippery.
  • Rain continues to fall (1 more action).

Damage and Energy
  • Mauzi's Health: 30% - 15% (Substitute) - 10% (Substitute) = 5%
  • Mauzi's Substitute: 15% - 12% (Drain Punch) - 12% (Drain Punch) = 0%
  • Mauzi's Substitute... 2!: 10%
  • Mauzi's Energy: 62% - 8% (Substitute) - 7% (Last Resort) - 5% (Substitute) = 42%
  • Baldridge's Health: 52% + 6% (Drain Punch) - 17% (Last Resort) + 1% (Drain Punch) - 4% (poison) = 38%
  • Baldridge's Energy: 42% - 4% (Worry Seed) - 5% (Drain Punch) - 5% (Drain Punch) = 28%

Notes
  • Speed order: Baldridge (70) > Mauzi (45).
  • (Note: I messed up Mauzi's adjusted speed in the notes for last round and told SS about it on Telegram so of course that ended up just getting lost :p It's corrected in the speed order now.)
  • (Note from SS: lol whoops)
  • @Mr. Ultracool commands first.

Well, there's not much we can do with only 5% of your health remaining, is there? I'd say trust your substitute to hold up and rest for a bit, Mauzi! You did really well up untill now!

Rest~Rest~Rest

Round Five

Mr. Ultracool (3/3 left)
meowth
Mauzi
Status: Frustrated and desperate. Has a Substitute (10%). +2 Attack, +2 Defense, -2 Speed.

kokorico (3/3 left)
treecko
Baldridge ♂ @ Eviolite
Health: 42%
Energy: 28%
Status: Everyone worries about not turning off the oven, but what if he really forgot this time?! Has a Worry Seed. Poisoned (moderate, 4% damage per round). +3 Attack.

Baldridge HAS to get some of these worries out of his mind. He throws a punch towards Mauzi, trying to regain some health, but for the third time?!? he hits the mud Meowth instead. The mud substitute falls apart and Baldridge starts to rub his eyes. How could he keep missing like that?

Meanwhile, Mauzi lets himself sit down on the ground. Just a short rest, he tells himself, barely even noticing the mud soaking into his fur. He lays back and closes his eyes (the rain feels so nice on his face), but as soon as he closes his eyes, the exhaustion from his wounds overcomes him. This is no short nap, he decides as weariness claims him, he'll get up in... oh... two days...

The rain quietly slows to a trickle, then stops entirely.

Mr. Ultracool (2/3 left)
meowth
Mauzi
Energy: 0%
Used: Rest

kokorico (3/3 left)
treecko
Baldridge ♂ @ Eviolite
Health: 41% 38%
Energy: 23%
Status: What is wrong with my eyes?! Has a Worry Seed. Poisoned (moderate, 4% damage per round). +3 Attack.
Used: Drain Punch

Arena Status
  • The dirt field is becoming muddy and slippery.

Damage and Energy
  • Mauzi's Health: 5%
  • Mauzi's Substitute: 10% - 12% (Drain Punch) = 0%
  • Mauzi's Energy: 42% - 72% (Rest) = 0%
  • Baldridge's Health: 38% + 5% (Drain Punch) - 2% (poison) = 41%
  • Baldridge's Energy: 28% - 5% (Drain Punch) = 23%

Notes
  • Mauzi KO'd himself from the energy cost of using Rest.
  • The rain stopped at the end of the action.
  • @Mr. Ultracool sends out, then @kokorico commands first.

Last edited:
Oooh, so having no energy left knocks Pokémon out, too? 😅
Anyways, Sophie! It's your turn, and your opponent's already hurt! Let's go!

Pokémonsprite_280_RS.png

Mauzi KO'd himself from the energy cost of using Rest.
Oh. uh. it did not occur to me that that could happen, either, haha. It's a learning experience! :P

---

Superb job, Baldridge! Just because that Meowth somehow tired himself out by sleeping too hard, doesn't mean you weren't responsible for beating him all the same. Now let's give this Ralts what-for, eh?

Now that the rain's stopped, the ground should be soaked through - the perfect conditions to cover it with Grassy Terrain! I reckon our opponent's got some tricks up her voluminous sleeves, so you might need to have another go if you notice a conspicuous lack of grass after your first attempt. Once you feel the plants start to heal you - or if you've tried twice and she still managed to block them from sprouting - hit her with a volley or two of Bullet Seeds.

Grassy Terrain ~ Bullet Seed / Grassy Terrain ~ Bullet Seed

Let's make sure he won't want to hit you at full force, Sophie, as his attacks can hurt! First off, use attract on him to dissuade him from attacking you at full power. Then, try and reflect his bullet seeds away before charming him with your cuteness!

Attract ~ Reflect ~ Charm

Round Six

Mr. Ultracool (2/3 left)
ralts
Sophie
Ability: Trace
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%

kokorico (3/3 left)
treecko
Baldridge ♂ @ Eviolite
Health: 41%
Energy: 23%
Status: What is wrong with my eyes?! Has a Worry Seed. Poisoned (moderate, 4% damage per round). +3 Attack.

Appearing in a flash of soft light, Sophie surveys the field through the green sway of her hair. Ugh, it's muddy and dirty out here. She eyes the trim of her white flowing dress-limbs and frowns, hoping they won't get too dirty. Raising her hand lazily, she senses Baldridge's sleeplessness and gracefully copies it, without any of the worry.

Baldridge straightens up as soon as he sees the beautiful Ralts. She's so elegant, he thinks, and is appalled at the state of the battlefield. He exerts a show of force and, with a wide sweep of his arms and a stomp into the ground, prompts grass and clover to sprout and grow all around them. Sophie gasps with delight as the mud disappears under a carpet of green, and dazzles him with a soft smile. Baldridge feels heat in his face and a staccato beat in his heart; Sophie's absolutely dazzling.

In an effort to show off to his new love interest, Baldridge curls his hands into finger guns and blam blam blam blam! fires off four Bullet Seeds. But he cries out, aghast, as his aim was too perfect and the seeds smack Sophie down into the newly grassy field. Red, heart-shaped flowers blossom around her at his request, and she stands back up, her hair swishing serenely as she thinks a shimmering barrier into existence before her.

Baldridge can't move. She's so, so beautiful, especially now that her delicate form is coated by a reflective shield. He can't believe he hurt her! I'm so sorry! he cries, to which she bats her hidden eyes and brings a hand to her mouth, giggling sweetly. Baldridge is utterly charmed.

Mr. Ultracool (2/3 left)
ralts
Sophie
Ability: Trace Insomnia
Health: 84%
Energy: 92%
Status: Oh, this is going wonderfully... Protected by Reflect (4 more actions).
Used: Attract ~ Reflect ~ Charm

kokorico (3/3 left)
treecko
Baldridge ♂ @ Eviolite
Health: 40%
Energy: 14%
Status: Could this be the love of his life? Has a Worry Seed. Poisoned (moderate, 4% damage per round). Infatuated (severe, 45% failure chance). +1 Attack.
Used: Grassy Terrain ~ Bullet Seed ~ [infatuated]

Arena Status
  • Grass has grown over most of the dirt and mud, although some slippery patches remain.
  • Grassy Terrain is in effect (3 more actions).

Damage and Energy
  • Sophie's Health: 100% - 19% (Bullet Seed - hit 4 times) + 3% (Grassy Terrain) = 84%
  • Sophie's Energy: 100% - 4% (Attract) - 1% (Reflect) - 2% (Charm) - 1% (Reflect upkeep) = 92%
  • Baldridge's Health: 41% - 4% (poison) + 3% (Grassy Terrain) = 40%
  • Baldridge's Energy: 23% - 4% (Grassy Terrain) - 5% (Bullet Seed) = 14%

Notes
  • Speed order: Baldridge (70) > Sophie (40).
  • @Mr. Ultracool commands first.

That worked beautifully, Sophie! Now, to ensure that he doesn't hit you again, go on the defensive even more!

Captivate ~ Misty Terrain ~ Double Team

CW: Alcohol, very bad relationship advice, character death

The freezing rain hammered down all around me as I slunk through the back alleys, my collar turned up to keep the worst of it from getting into my coat. A proper soaker, just like the weatherworker'd promised. Might be enough to give me a few hours of respite before the past caught up with me.

Word was, the mob'd finally put a hit out on me. Leastways, that's what ol' One-Eyed John had said. Y'could never be quite sure with One-Eyed John, of course, but I knew in my bones that it was true. I'd been a thorn in their side for way too long, and it was past time for them to collect on their dues. Before dawn, this whole damn city'd be on my tail, rain or no rain.

I found the place I was looking for, an ornate wooden door down a short flight of steps. A soft orange glow came through the rippled glass panes. Me and Felicity, we'd come here every week before the Fall, swapping stories about her team's fights and my family's adventures. 'Course, that was all in the past now. Water under the bridge. Ha.

The barkeep was sorting through her till over in the corner, but she looked up as I entered, her face impassive. Silently, she slid a crystal tumbler towards me and filled it from a small bottle on the shelf behind her. Nicholson's, the best single malt y'could ever hope to find this side of the Inner Sea. I pulled out a handful of chits, but she waved them away. So. Guess word'd spread fast, that I was a dead woman walking.

I'd expected to find the place deserted, this late at night and with the storm raging all around. Yet there was one other in the room, a Treecko perched on the stool to my left, slumped over the bar. He was young, prob'ly younger even than Felicity and I'd been when we first met, but he'd clearly been in a few scraps. A coupla nasty scars ran down his right-hand side - the mark of wolf claws, I had no doubt. I'd seen his type before. Some poor sod, spurned by his cutthroat heartthrob, who'd come to drown his sorrows in the city's finest.

He glanced in my direction, eyes sparkling with unshed tears, like a puppy who'd been kicked for the first time by the very same boots that'd always fed and watered him. Yeah, he'd got it bad.

"Listen, kid," I croaked, making sure to stumble over my words as if the whisky were loosening my tongue, "I ain't never bin a trainer, but I sure know how to get a girl. That lass, whoever she is, you jus- you need to get over to her and strut your stuff, give it a bit of swagger. And if she don't seem to be paying that no mind, well, you, you gotta pick yourself up and try again. But after that, whatever y'do, don't be comin' on too strong. Just chill out a bit, chill out and let her come to you. She'll be eatin' outta the palm of your hand by sundown tomorrow, I guarantee it."

He blinked slowly, didn't give any sign he'd heard me. But I fancied I could see a glimmer of recognition in those big yellow eyes. What's that old bit of doggerel Gammer Fairfax used to say? Y'ain't truly gone from this world till the ripples y'leave behind die away? Well, I figured it'd cause a good few ripples letting loverboy loose at onea the mob's very own. Sure, the poor sap'd never get another date behaving like that, but he seemed like a bright kid. He'd figure it out soon enough. No lasting harm done.

I could hear the rain starting to die down outside, the spell coming to an end. I downed the last of my glass and placed it gently on the lacquered surface of the counter, then turned to the door. Time to face the music.

The streets outside were quiet and cool, a soft breeze playing across my face, and there was that greenish smell you always get after the rain's come and gone. Everything seemed perfectly still, like time itself had stopped in its tracks just to give me another few minutes on this earth.

A single shot rang out in the dark, and then another. It was funny, it didn't hurt at first. I just felt my life's blood pouring out of me, washing down to mingle with the water all around. I sank to the ground, lungs burning as I tried to take one final breath. And then I knew no more.

Swagger ~ Swagger / Chill ~ Chill

Back
Top Bottom