• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Need help with title...

Ivy Newton

kg*m/s^2
Pronoun
she
So, I'm writing this story for English class, see, and I can't think of a title. No one has been very helpful in this regard thus far, so I thought I'd take it here.

The assignment was to write a story based on our hero type. I'm a wanderer, which means the plot of my story has to be 'how I escaped or how I found my way' and the protagonist has to have certain traits relating to that, such as unique and the like.

My story is basically about a young girl who has magical powers and is kidnapped by this guy who started a war, and he wants to train her to use her powers to help him in the war.

Excerpt:
Where am I?
All I remember is a big storm, and then…
Nothing.

Perennial struggled into a sitting position, rubbing her head. She was afraid to look around. Afraid of what she might see when she did. But finally her curiosity overruled her fears, and she opened her eyes. She was in a dank, dark room, so large she couldn’t see the other side, surrounded on either side by piles of crates towering far over her four foot stature. A rat scuttled by her feet, and she shrank back against the wall.
What is this place? she thought, jogging her memory for anything that might indicate what had happened. All of a sudden her thought process was interrupted by the sound of a door slamming nearby, as a large, shadowy figure stepped in front of her.
“Ah, so you’re finally awake,” the figure said in a deep, impatient tone.
Finally? How long have I been here? thought Perennial, still staring up at the figure in front of her.
“Well? Are you mute?” the man exclaimed. “Get up. I didn’t bring you here to let you laze around all day.”
Perennial regained control of her voice for long enough to ask in reply: “Wh-where am I?” before the man roughly grabbed her arm and dragged her towards the outline of a doorway.
“Ah, an inquisitive one, are we?” he barked as he dragged her along the paved-stone floor. “I suppose it’s just as well. You’ll learn quicker. And as for your question, I won’t tell you anything that you don’t need to know. Now come on, get up. I’m not carrying you all the way.”
Ξ Ξ Ξ​
When Perennial stepped through the door and entered the main room, she gasped. It was so richly decorated, so opulent, as if the owner of the house didn’t care a bit about money. The floors were covered in plush carpets, and the walls sparkled gold.
“Do you like it?” the man who had dragged her up here asked, his voice swelling with pride. “The entire place is mine.”
“I-it’s very nice sir,” Perennial replied politely as she could, turning to face the man. She finally got a good glimpse of him. He had short-trimmed, graying hair, which seemed to once have been a magnificent shade of black, and a small beard. His eyes were a curious shade of gray tinged with amber, much darker than Perennial’s own gray eyes. He was well dressed, though rather simply, in a navy blue vest over a white shirt and black pants. “Though may I ask why I’m here?”
“Fine. You’d find out soon enough anyway,” the man replied, a hint of exasperation in his voice. “You have powers. I want control over those powers. So, I’m going to train you, teach you to use your powers. Simple enough, correct?”
“B-but surely you must be mistaken!” exclaimed Perennial. “I don’t have any powers! I’m just a young girl! I’m just a girl…” she whimpered, her eyes tearing up.
“Stop that sniveling at once!” the man demanded, taking a deep breath. “I’ve lived a long life. I know what I’m doing by now,” he said, calmer now, as he sauntered towards the velvet-lined stairs leading to the second floor. “Now, follow me. Don’t dawdle.”
Ξ Ξ Ξ​
“This is where you’ll being staying during your time with me,” the man said, showing Perennial to a room on the second floor. He seemed much nicer now than he had been. Perhaps he had resigned himself to the fact that he’d have to be nicer if he wanted Perennial to cooperate. “I’ll leave you to get settled. Come downstairs when you’re ready. We have a lot to discuss,” he finished, closing the door behind him.
Perennial looked around the room. It was large, and certainly not skimpy on the furnishings. There were a four-post bed, an oak wood desk and a matching dresser. But it was missing something. It wasn’t home. Perennial sighed, sitting down on the cushy bed. Only one thought crossed her mind.
Escape…
I'm mainly looking for title help, but any other critiques are appreciated too. Keep in mind this is for a ninth grade english class and it's due in about a week, please.

It's a good story so far....
Ok, I know that this isn't much help, but i'd finish the story then name it, or name it while i'm writing, because either you haven't found the title yet or you missed it while writing.
It also depends very much on what you want in a title, do you want something that adds mystery to the story, a title that explains something, or one that says it streight out?

Oh, I know! Call it...
It...Untitled.
No, just kidding. How about...Escape from the Dark?
Okay, I'm useless at titles.

Back
Top Bottom