• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

[One-Shot] Carla and the Doctor

Karousever

formerly known as Jaketiger1116
Ok, first before I post the story itself, I'd just like to give you the reason I wrote this in the first place. I'm a High School Sophomore, and I'm in Honors English II, and the teacher passed around pictures of shoes. When you got your pair of shoes, you had to write a story about the person who you think would wear those shoes. Create your own character and describe a day in the life of that person, or something of the sort. I got a pair of black cowgirl shoes, and since at the time (and currently), I was obsessed with Doctor Who, this became my best attempt at a little Doctor Who fanfiction sort of type deal. I had originally planned it to be longer, but I ran out of time to finish before I had to turn it in, so sorry if it seems rushed or something. Anyway, on to the story:

Carla awoke in her dusty bed, from a dream full of imaginations that were quickly abandoning her head. It was early morning, only about six o’ clock, from what her bedside clock told her. She had gone to bed quite early the night before, so waking up so early was no surprise to her. She slowly crept out of bed, trying to keep the creaks from her old bed to a minimum. She quickly put on some clothes and crept past old Dell’s room. Dell Conagher was a very kind old man that took her in when she moved to Beecave. Her parents were gone, and she was lost in the little town. But Dell found her, wandering the dusty streets.

“Hello little girl, what’s your name?” The old man asked Carla. He was sort of goofy looking, but Carla liked his smile, so she was comforted by him rather than scared. “I’m Carla.” She replied, glad to have someone that wanted to help her rather than ignore her. “Ah, that’s a pretty name. My name’s Dell. Well Carla, where are your parents?” He asked her. “Oh Mister Dell, I don’t know where my parents are. They were here with me this morning, but they’re gone now…” Carla said, starting to become upset and afraid at the thought of being without her parents. “Oh my, well little Carla, how old are you?” Dell asked asked her. “I’m nine!” Carla replied proudly. “Nine’s awfully young to wander around without parents. Tell you what, Miss Carla, how about you come home with me? I’ll feed you some dinner, and get you to bed. And in the morning we’ll see what we can do about finding your parents.” Carla was quick to accept Dell’s offer, because she was very hungry and even lonelier. A young, scared child with an empty stomach is often likely to forget that they were taught to not follow strangers into their homes. But Carla did not regret her decision, even now. Dell followed through, letting her eat until she was stuffed, and giving her a comfortable bed to sleep on. In the morning he helped her search for her parents, but they were nowhere to be found. So Carla stayed with Dell.

Carla’s foot happened to land on one of the creaky floorboards outside Dell’s room. The creak was louder than Carla expected, and she cringed at the sound of it. There was stirring from inside Dell’s room, until a tired, old voice quietly danced through the air to her. “Carla Elizabeth Jones, what in God’s name are you doing out of bed so early?” It asked. “Sorry Mr. Conagher, go back to sleep now, okay?” Carla said softly, hoping Dell would be able to go back to sleep. When she didn’t hear any more noise from him but a soft snore, she slowly crept the rest of the way down the hall to the front door. She sat on the ragged sofa and put on her favorite pair of black cowgirl boots with little white star patterns on them. Dell had gotten them for her last year for her twenty-third birthday. She’s worn them nearly every day since.

Carla exited Dell’s home and looked out at the dark, dusty landscape. Not a noise could be heard, not even from the small town just a twenty minute walk away. Dell lived in a shack of sorts, so it didn’t look entirely out of place out here. Carla took a nice long walk, until Dell’s shack was a speck to her. She simply sat down in the dirt, and looked up to the stars. “This life isn’t terrible,” she muttered to the sky, “But I would sure appreciate some excitement.” A little breeze blew past, pushing her blonde hair gently against her face.

After a few seconds of silence, a sound that can only be described as a vacuum cleaner being turned on, fading off, then being turned on again, and repeating could be faintly heard. But the sound became more and more prominent, all the while a blue police box was fading into view a good five feet in front of her. When it was fully there, and no longer even a little transparent, the vacuum noise stopped with low-pitched ding. Carla stared in bewilderment. A 1960’s style police box just materialized in front of her. Carla was almost convinced she was crazy. Then the door opened and a man stepped out. He had medium-length brown hair swept to one side, wore a tweed jacket with suspenders and a bowtie. The man turned to see Carla, and a smile spread across his face. “Pardon, could you tell me where I am?” He asked her. Carla noticed the man had a British accent, which she thought was all the stranger. But despite how completely bizarre the situation was, Carla was not afraid of this man, because his smile was just as warming as old Dell’s. “You’re in Beecave, mister.” She told the man. “Hmm, based on your accent I’m in the Southern United States.” He stated. “Yes sir, Texas, in fact.” She said to him. “Oh you have a lovely accent. May I ask your name?” The man said. “Yours as well. And my name is Carla Elizabeth Jones.” She said, confidently. “Ooh, lovely name, I quite like it. Well Carla, you can call me the Doctor.” He said to her, with an even bigger smile now. “The Doctor? Doctor who?” Carla asked, not understanding why he only gave her a title. “Just the Doctor.” He said. Carla decided to go with it. “Alright Carla Elizabeth Jones from Beecave Texas, I know where I am now, thank you. But now would you please inform me of when I am?” Carla was even more confused now. “What do you mean?” She asked. “I mean, what year is it, Carla?” “Oh, well..it’s 2012.” She replied. “Ah, good girl. Well, that’s all I needed, thank you!” He said with a smile, then stepped back into his police box. Carla, naturally curious, had to see what was inside. So she opened the door and stepped inside, and was immediately awestruck. The room inside was about the size of Dell’s entire shack, with a large tube in the center of the room. Surrounding the tube was a control panel of sorts, with lights and knobs and a lever. “It’s…bigger on the inside..” Was all Carla could manage to get out. The Doctor smiled again, as if that were something he’d heard often. “Yes, it is. Carla this is my TARDIS. Time And Relative Dimensions In Space.” He said to her. “So…” She said, still not sure of what that meant. “So basically it’s a time machine. And then some.” He said with a nice smile again. Carla, not quite believing it, still smiled as if she did. She wanted to believe it, anyway. “Would you like to see?” He asked. Carla quickly nodded, because she was eager to find out if it was true, and if it turned out to be, then it would satisfy her thirst for adventure. “Alright, here we go!” He said. He snapped his fingers, and the door to the TARDIS closed. He then starts turning dials, flipping switched, and playing with knobs, until he reached the switch. He pulled the switch, and something inside the tube moved up and down while the vacuum cleaner noise was heard again.

After a few moments of this, the noise ceased and the Doctor motioned towards the door. “Take a look.” He said softly. Carla slowly approached the door to the TARDIS, and began thinking of all the wonderful things she could see. Perhaps the Titanic before it sank, or the Apollo 13 before it launched, or the old pioneers of the West before they settled. As Carla slowly opened the door, prepared to see any of these possibilities, she saw…the same dark, dusty landscape of Beecave, Texas. She quickly whirled around. “What is this?! You lied, we didn’t go anywhere!” Carla shouted at the Doctor angrily. “Now hold on just a moment. Follow me.” The Doctor walked out of the TARDIS, and Carla angrily followed him. They walked the whole way back to Dell’s shack, and the Doctor took her around to the back. They approached a window. “Carla, look through that window.” He told her quietly. Carla peered in through the window, and on a little cot she saw a small blonde girl sleeping soundly. Carla nearly fainted, because she knew that little girl was a nine year old her. Carla now understood that the Doctor did not lie to her. And so she followed him in silence back to the TARDIS, leaving no evidence of her even being there but the footprints from her favorite cowgirl boots.

Back
Top Bottom