• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

[OR/AS] ORAS Progress

I'm currently in Sootopolis and I have a feeling I'll be just standing here for, like, 10 minutes with the volume up before continuing with the plot. Sootopolis is so pretty ugh and I've always loved the music and the remix is great and hhh nostalgia ;u;

Badges: 7
Pokemon:
Olmio the Swampert, male, level 47
Nuhru the Shiftry, female, level 47
Sulo the Swellow, male, level 46
Kilpiki the Torkoal, female, level 46
Kuulas the Lunatone, level 46
(plus Turboloader the Linoone as the resident HM slave)

Just finished the E4! Time to restart and do a Nuzlocke, as tempted as I am to do the Delta Episode. Anyway, here's my final team:

Ruby the Latias (Lv. 46)
Teeko the Sceptile (Lv. 51)
Me Toitle the Torkoal (Lv. 51)
Mike the Pelipper (Lv. 50)
Maka the Mightyena (Lv. 50)
Wailord the Kyogre (Lv. 49)

• I wasn't planning to use a Kyogre on my final team, since I typically don't use legendaries, but I wasn't going to beat the E4 at my current levels without it.
  • I found both Wallace and Wally's battles to be disappointing. I remember back in Emerald that those were two of the most intense battles I'd ever fought. I do have much better Water coverage than back then, but was Wally nerfed because of his mega?
  • Oh god, the Delta episode looks amazing. I want to go ahead with my Nuzlocke, though.
  • Norman should've gone to the meteor shower with his wife, but eh, plot.
  • Hoenn is still my favorite region, even after getting Unova and Kalos.
  • The fact that Pikachu could cosplay and get new moves was the thing that pushed me to use a Pikachu for the first time since Diamond.

I saved the world and beat Wallace (oh my god he's like 500% more fabulous than in the originals, 5/5 would battle again) so obviously, the next logical step is to start SRing for shiny legendaries instead of actually, you know, continuing to the league.

Let's see if I can get a shiny Reshiram before I completely lose my mind :D

So I just beat Steven, and MAN was it a thrilling fight! But I'll talk more about it in my little thoughts section.

• * All in all, very fun games. I loved Hoenn, but started to hate it thanks to all the annoying bandwagoners and their water+trumpet maymays. Fell in love all over again, much like HG/SS and LG/FR this is a remake that I feel is just plain superior to the original in every way, shape, and form.

* The final battle with Wally was intense, the music (Which would make for a fantastic Xenoblade boss theme), the visuals, the Mega Gallade... all in all, very thrilling fight. Felt more like a final boss though.

* The Elite Four summed up: Sidney was annoying thanks to Swagger on his Mightyena giving him a good start, but he wasn't too bad. Phoebe was adorable with her overworld sprite's animation, but pathetically easy just like in the originals. Dusknoir helped a bit with the variety in her Pokémon, but her team is still terrible. Glacia has probably an even worse team than before when it comes to diversity (Two Glalies AND two Frosslasses?!) but was easily the hardest of the bunch. Damn Hail + Blizzard combo. And Drake was badass, but a pushover. Giving him Kingdra from his Emerald Team was a nice touch, but Electrode still dusted him. The remix of their boss theme was okay but a tad weak sounding, but their intro theme sounded stupid.

* None of my Pokémon fainted to Steven's but man his fight was still intense (Except for when his Mega Metagross spammed Bullet Punch against my MEGA SWAMPERT. -_- You're the champion Steven, act like it!) I don't know if anyone else does this on their games, but I like having each member of my team take down one of the Champion's Pokémon so I can make it a perfect joint effort. The remixed battle theme was fantastic.

* It was probably the point of the battle, but I found it hilarious that Brendan was all confident about winning the post-credits battle, but each of my Pokémon one-shotted all of his. The poor schmuck just can't catch up.

* So I keep hearing talk about a Delta Episode? I guess that's the postgame. It better be good, because X and Y's was non-existent!
[/QUOTE]

So before I wrap things up, I feel the need to brag about my team of wonderful, wonderful Pokémon!

swampert

Cass the Swampert, I gotta say like any Swampert I've used over the years, she was always reliable. Her bulk made sure she stayed in any fight you were in, and that she were able to give as good as she got! And thanks to Hoenn's lack of Grass types, her Water/Ground typing made her a beast! I have to say that I love how she was female, but easily the manliest member of the team thanks to her Mega Evolution. Mega Swampert is a beast.

slaking

Lazy Kong comes from a species I feel is criminally underrated. Sure, she struggled a LOT as a Slakoth and was a pain in the ass to train. Yet, I knew good things were to come when she became a Vigoroth, and as a Slaking, she kicked ass and took names! Truant really becomes less of a problem whenever you can pretty much one-shot anything that tries to put up a fight thanks to her monstrous Physical Strength. She may have loafed around a lot, but when she had to pull her weight, she kicked ass.

electrode

You know, everyone seems to be in love with that stupid cosplaying Pikachu. I say screw Pikachu, that thing doesn't need to be shilled anymore than it already is whenever Raichu needs some more love! When it comes to Electric types, Fatman was a boss. Sure, he may have stagnated a bit in the end thanks to Electrode's overall mediocre stats except for speed, but in the early to late-game, his Electro Ball hit HARD. And even whenever he started to wane at the end, he still gave as good as he got. I have to say he was my favorite to take into Pokémon-amie because Electrode is adorable!

machamp

Ivan, I don't have much to say! You were a total badass, you held your ground well, and thanks to No Guard, I could slap moves like Dynamic Punch and Rock Tomb on you and not have to worry about accuracy! I always loved this guy the most out of the four Kanto trade evolutions, and it made me happy to use one in a normal playthrough (Used one in a Nuzlocke of Platinum, Cyrus killed him late into the game). I say you tied with Cass in the manliness department!

cacturne

I must admit, Cacturne has become one of my new favorite Pokemon of all time. I love that creepy design, those monstrous attacking stats... Combs may be my favorite Pokemon this playthrough! Even though his main methods of attacking were the mediocre Needle Arm and Faint Attack, his adamant nature still helped him kick ass regardless! And man oh man, making the right call when using Sucker Punch is the best feeling in the world. To Combs and all the Cacturne in the world, here's to you guys getting a Mega Evolution in the future!

latias

Man oh man, the fact you could use a Latias in the main game surprised me and made me incredibly happy at the same time! I felt a bit guilty at first for using Nadia, but I don't feel her stats were too monstrously high (Unlike a certain Slaking!) even with Mega Evolution. She may have lagged a bit behind thanks to being a legendary who needs massive EXP gain to level up, but she never let me down as a good Special tank! The fact you can explore the skies with her made her all the more endearing to me. :3d

So all in all, good game! I just hope Pokemon Z/X2 and Y2 gives us a proper Battle Frontier, because I hear that the awful, horrible Battle Maison is back.

* The final battle with Wally was intense, the music (Which would make for a fantastic Xenoblade boss theme), the visuals, the Mega Gallade... all in all, very thrilling fight. Felt more like a final boss though.

Metal-Gear-Solid-3.jpg

Starting OR again after obsessively catching Pokémon in X for several days.

Uh, does anyone happen to know how many Shards of each color there are available in the water routes, both hidden + visible? Serebii seems to suggest there are unequal numbers (unless they're all equal once you get ones from Mirage Spots, etc)
ETA: It looks like there is one shard for every Pokémon that evolves via Fire/Water/Leaf/Thunder Stone, plus an extra Yellow Shard for some reason. This is including the Mirage Spot shards. So, 4 Red, 4 Yellow, 5 Green, 6 Blue.

Anyway, my team. I am about to take on the Seafloor Cavern. My team is as follows:

blaziken
Blaze Kick/Dig/Slash/Double Kick
I couldn't resist using the very same starter I began Pokémon with, nearly eleven years ago, for my "perfect" file... Scorch is a bro. Blaze Kick incinerates things and there is no question about this. Especially when Mega Evolved, he really does awesome things. I've always loved Blaziken and it is amazing to be using one again with all the new power it has gained since the RSE days.

swellow
Aerial Ace/Fly/Steel Wing/Quick Attack
Swellow has always been my favorite early game Flying type, second only nowadays to Talonflame. Swellie's attack isn't exactly the greatest, but he makes up for it with blistering Speed and some helpful STAB attacks. I hope he sees a lot of use in the E4.

manectric
Discharge/Thunder Wave/Fire Fang/Quick Attack
Drew's Thunder Wave makes him an invaluable partner for catching things with, and combined with Static he can easily cripple opponents in battles. A lack of compatible TMs means his movepool is probably the worst on the team (thunderbolt and flamethrower plz ; ;) but Discharge is strong, especially when he Mega Evolves.

exploud (Shiny)
Rock Smash/Strength/Surf/Crunch
It's funny, really, that I'd been planning to use an Exploud from the start and then ran into a shiny Whismur east of Rustboro. Too perfect, if you ask me. Mimzy (named after my favorite LPer's Exploud) has been one hell of a sis ever since evolving into Exploud. Her average Attack and Special Attack stats mean that she can't do much to the opponent, but on the other hand, that she can use many moves due to neither of her Attack stats being terribly low. I plan to replace Rock Smash upon arrival at the Elite Four, but it's actually been really helpful for catching things!

gardevoir
Secret Power/Psychic/Dazzling Gleam/Grass Knot
I put Secret Power on Nicki because I didn't really have another team member who wanted it, but I'm not really missing the space. Two STAB attacks and Grass Knot really make up all the attack power I need. Her Special Attack is the highest on the team (15 points higher than Scorch's), and so she just blazes right through things. A high Special Defense never hurt anything either! It's been a long time since I used Gardevoir. It's nice doing so again, especially know with ~FAIRY MOVES~

breloom
Seed Bomb/Sky Uppercut/Stun Spore/Leech Seed
Portobello has the highest Attack stat on the team, and the highest non-HP stat of anything on the team with a whopping 144 Attack at level 46. Stun Spore, like Drew's Thunder Wave, comes in mighty handy for catching things. Leech Seed is fun to use on annoying opponents - I'm pretty sure I used it as part of my Liza and Tate battle strategy. For a long time he was lacking in power since Breloom don't get any physical Grass moves before Seed Bomb at level 44 (!) and Portobello especially has an Attack-lowering nature, leaving Mega Drain (!!) his only Grass attack. Finally, though, Seed Bomb happened, and by Arceus does it make a difference!

Last edited:
Let's see if I can get a shiny Reshiram before I completely lose my mind :D
Apparently yes! Couldn't have been more than 50 resets (I wasn't counting, but I haven't been SRing very intensely either) and I got a shiny one! I was ridiculously lucky with the catching too, put it to sleep on turn 1 and proceeded to nab it with a single Premier Ball on the next. *u*

Sadly, my Synchronize Ralts failed me and it has a Serious nature, but w/e I don't like using legendaries in battles anyway. It has pretty nice IVs, except for its Defense (lol it's either 0 or 1). The important part is that it's shiny, legit and mine :3

Anyone else thinking of SRing for legendaries (shiny or competitive)?

EDIT: I'm not done bragging yet, look at this thing! :P

Last edited:
I've bumped into Liza and Tate in Lilycove dept store and then later Roxanne in the Fossil Maniac's house. I thought maybe there would be events for all of the other leaders so I went around Hoenn trying to find more. The only other one I could find was Phoebe on Mt. Pyre. (EDIT: I forgot about Drake on the SS Tidal)
I'm still convinced there are more but I haven't found any.

Also, where do you get the Odd Keystone? There's nothing in that one room in Sea Mauville so I assume you find it elsewhere and take it there. There's a man in Slateport docks who mentions it. The only places I can think it could be is Sea Mauville, Mauville, New Mauville, Slateport docks and Cozmo's house. I can't find it :(

Last edited:
Also, where do you get the Odd Keystone? There's nothing in that one room in Sea Mauville so I assume you find it elsewhere and take it there. There's a man in Slateport docks who mentions it. The only places I can think it could be is Sea Mauville, Mauville, New Mauville, Slateport docks and Cozmo's house. I can't find it :(
You won't need it.

Check the bookshelf in the Sea Mauville that mentions the Odd Keystone, then pop open your menu and open your squad window or your bag or anything that causes a screen transition. After you close it, Spiritomb will show up behind you.

You won't need it.

Check the bookshelf in the Sea Mauville that mentions the Odd Keystone, then pop open your menu and open your squad window or your bag or anything that causes a screen transition. After you close it, Spiritomb will show up behind you.

I'm not in general a fan of games handholding or giving totally "subtle" clues, but there's no way I could have known to do that.

EDIT: Whose bright idea was it to give it memento?

Last edited:
I started a Nuzlocke challenge in Omega Ruby, and made it all the way through the fifth gym today.

Current team:
Hydrogen the Swampert, M, Level 40
Zinc the Hariyama, M, Level 34
Lithium the Beautifly, M, Level 33
Aluminum the Electrode, Level 31
Carbon the Mightyena, F, Level 30
Phosphorus the Numel, M, Level 27

I encountered a shiny Geodude while smashing rocks. I can't use it on my team, but I'm glad I caught it!

So far, I've only lost one Pokémon - a Whismur. A random trainer's nuzleaf used Nature Power and hit me with a critical hit Energy Ball... yikes!

I started a Nuzlocke challenge in Omega Ruby, and made it all the way through the fifth gym today.

Current team:
Hydrogen the Swampert, M, Level 40
Zinc the Hariyama, M, Level 34
Lithium the Beautifly, M, Level 33
Aluminum the Electrode, Level 31
Carbon the Mightyena, F, Level 30
Phosphorus the Numel, M, Level 27

I encountered a shiny Geodude while smashing rocks. I can't use it on my team, but I'm glad I caught it!

So far, I've only lost one Pokémon - a Whismur. A random trainer's nuzleaf used Nature Power and hit me with a critical hit Energy Ball... yikes!

Congrats on the shiny! I know when it comes to Nuzlockes that we all have our different ways of doing things, but if you ask me, given just how plain rare shinies are, there's no harm in bending the rules a liiiiittle bit if they're not your first encounter in an area.

So I was entering the Master Rank Beauty Contest just for the hell of it, already having beaten all Master Ranks at least once and also having beaten Lisia in a round. What happens next is
fucking Wallace shows up for the part with his Milotic. And Lisia is also there with Ali. And of course, they talk a whole bunch of interesting stuff in the green room (and Wallace jokingly threatens to go for my Championship -- I'd like to see him try, being that I've beaten him more often than I've beaten Steven back in the RSE era). I only got third place, above the random lady with the Wobbuffet, but that was only because it was some barely initiated Castform up against the contest stats on that Milotic and on Ali; I'd actually outscored everyone in the appeal round, but it wasn't enough to make up for the sheer ridiculous difference. Although it was also fun in that all three of Wallace, Lisia and I managed to pop Spectacular Talents.

omg I got OmegaRuby last night. (I have two exams left; this was perhaps unwise.) I think I at some point meant to make progress but now I'm too busy obsessively petting my Torchic. cheep cheep :3

Look here's my TEAM!

Torchic
Torchic lv. 12
Scratch/Growl/Ember/Sand Attack
It took me like 20+ resets to get a female Torchic and she's freaking -SpA :(

Surskit
Surskit lv. 10
Fell Stinger/Quick Attack/Sweet Scent
Having Fell Stinger is super cool but I really need a water attack for Roxanne. :(

Wingull
Pepper lv. 11 or something
Water Gun/Growl/Supersonic/Wing Attack

Zigzagoon
Barrfie lv. 7 or something (the game won't let me name my Zig after my freaking DOG ;; "you can't use that word" my ass)
idek he's been fainted most of the time

Ralts
Ralts lv. whatever
Confusion/Growl/Double Team/Teleport

There's also the Ice Fang Poochyena that's just chilling on my team I guess...

You guys definitely wanted to see my start-game team. This has been a heart-pounding update from Eif.

It took me like 20+ resets to get a female Torchic and she's freaking -SpA :(
That's probably a good thing! Remember, later on she's gonna be Fire/Fighting and will kick people's asses with physical moves. Literally, if you get Blaze Kick or High Jump Kick or Ass Kick.

That's probably a good thing! Remember, later on she's gonna be Fire/Fighting and will kick people's asses with physical moves. Literally, if you get Blaze Kick or High Jump Kick or Ass Kick.

Yeah everyone told me that but... but... I like special attackers. :(

I have three badges, and I even studied a bit! I've been spending so much time petting my Pokemon that they haven't been getting that much stronger but hey.

Combusken
Quick Attack/Peck/Flame Charge/Double Kick
freaking Shroomish and things are everywhere and I hate that all her moves are contact. She's also not cute anymore. RIP cute cheep cheep.

Wingull
Water Pulse/Air Cutter/Quick Attack/Wing Attack

Electrike
Thunder Wave/Thunder Fang/Charge Beam/Quick Attack

Kirlia
Confusion/Charge Beam/Disarming Voice/Magical Leaf

Linoone
Covet/Headbutt/moves I don't remember because he never uses them

Surskit
Fell Stinger/Quick Attack/Sweet Scent/Bubblebeam

My team kind of sucks, but I want to keep them all. :( I'm going to have to get rid of Surskit once I catch a Cirrus, and I guess Barrfie's going to have to go for something better eventually. :( :(.

I just finished my Omega Ruby Nuzlocke. It's a very bittersweet victory because I lost my beloved Beautifly right at the end of the Delta Episode :(

Final Team:
Swampert
Hydrogen the Swampert, M, Level 80
Electrode
Aluminum the Electrode, Level 79
Beautifly
[FAINTED] Lithium the Beautifly, M, Level 77
Camerupt
Phosphorus the Camerupt, M, Level 77
Mightyena
Carbon the Mightyena, F, Level 73
Hariyama
Zinc the Hariyama, M, Level 72

Total Pokémon Lost: 2

Well, overall I'd say this was a lot easier than I'd expected it to be. If I ever did this again I'd probably ban the use of lucky eggs, as they make it really easy to level up quickly.

I am glad that I've played both versions of the game now because each has plenty of slight differences. Also, aside from this being my first Nuzlocke, this was my first time playing as the female protagonist, and there's a few small differences there as well.

Back
Top Bottom