• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

otakudom (aka anime geeks.)

Naruto reminds me strongly of the Pokemon anime, only there's no pokemon.

I can't stand the writing, it's horrible. :c

Uh, yeah, it is. I hear people say 'a certain something... that I can't put my finger on' far more than they would say 'je ne sais quoi'. Unless they feel like sounding douchey. It might not have a negative connotation in la belle langue, but...

I actually agree with you on 'otaku'.
So it's just a case of you being picky about my analogy.

:|

But the loanword 'otaku' doesn't mean the same thing as geek, nerd etc. The original does, yeah, but since people have already started using it as meaning a reclaimed word for obsessive anime/manga fans, there's no real reason why it's dumb to use it now, that's just how languages develop. The same thing goes with 'tsunami', which as far as I know is just the Japanese word for a tidal wave, but nobody ever complains about that...

Well, it is wrong.
urgh and this is what I dislike about TCoD in a nutshell

even if a person agrees with your point of view, they'll still pick holes in it without offering an alternative argument that still backs up the original point of view.

urgh and this is what I dislike about TCoD in a nutshell

even if a person agrees with your point of view, they'll still pick holes in it without offering an alternative argument that still backs up the original point of view.

*tiny violin*

Not going to even attempt to read through the rest of this thread, but I have to say I've never liked it when people use the word "otaku" to refer to "anime geeks."

Partly because I don't understand why so many people like to label themselves with some random term just because of one interest they have... partly because using random words from another language for no good reason is kinda annoying... and partly because "otaku" means something more along the lines of "30-year-old basement-dwelling 4chan user" instead of just "anime geek," so when people use it to describe themselves it makes them look kinda like those people who got tattoos saying "Crazy Diarrhea" in kanji just because they thought the symbols looked pretty.

Of course, "otaku" isn't the worst word the Internet has come up with to describe the "anime geeks." That prize goes to "weeaboo." "Otaku" is just mildly annoying... but I want to slap someone in the face with a brick every time I see "weeaboo."

I can't tell if this is an anime discussion thread and a debate over someone is otaku or not. It seems like the latter.

I like anime. End of story.

Back
Top Bottom