• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Pokémon Basalt and Granite

kyeugh

onion witch
Pronoun
she/her
Pokémon Basalt and Granite

A game that me and my partner Raven are making. Any help would be broadly appreciated, and further details are provided to anyone willing to help. Any helpers get their own Trainer in the game, so join, join, join!

Re: Pokémon Basalt and Granite

Er, I'd like to know more about this game before/if I join. Concept art? New Pokemon or old ones? Gym leaders/Champion? Is it a hack or a scratch? How far are you? Screenshots?

Er, I'd like to know more about this game before/if I join. Concept art? New Pokemon or old ones? Gym leaders/Champion? Is it a hack or a scratch? How far are you? Screenshots?
We just finished putting most of it together. We have no screenshots yet, and the reason we need help is because all we don't have yet is an entire PokeDex, while we do have a large one. Also, sorry, but the E4, Champions, and Gym Leaders are already created and unchangeable. You can, however, be in a battle hall for something like that. Like the Frontier. Also, it's a scratch.

We'll see how much I love it when I play it Bl

Also, have you thought of the main villain? If not, I can make several ideas in four seconds.

We just finished putting most of it together. We have no screenshots yet, and the reason we need help is because all we don't have yet is an entire PokeDex, while we do have a large one. Also, sorry, but the E4, Champions, and Gym Leaders are already created and unchangeable. You can, however, be in a battle hall for something like that. Like the Frontier. Also, it's a scratch.

...Oh. Wow. I'm guessing it's for the DeSmuMe/DS, not VBA right? Frontier sounds cool. Scratches are often better than hacks imo.

I have several half-baked ideas for Pokemon in a notebook somewhere... I can help with that Pokedex.

Yes, yes I do have a villain. The rival is Rose, a demented little girl who believes Pokemon are sheerly animals, nothing more. However, she is extremely powerful from the start; she has one level eighty nine, however it never levels up and her party is never altered.

The villainous team is Team Echo. Way back when, they were a scientific group that worked on using electronic enhancements to Pokemon's brains. The Champions found out, they became obsessed with using the power of the mascot for Granite, Mohacadon, the grand giver of power to Pokemon, to steal the power from every domesticated Pokemon. Then, using the giver of Death, also the mascot for Basalt, Gravon, they would revive every dead Pokemon to use as an elite army to take down the league, then turn everyone into Pokemon using Bill's machine and use them as demented little guinea pigs.

Team Echo consists of the executive, Alged, and a bunch of grunts that are brainwashed Pokemon. Alged is unaware that the idea for Team Echo was actually given to him by Mewtwo, who used Darkrai to implant it into one of his dreams.

So if that answers your question, yes, I do have villains. I'm working on the fieldbook for Extrava, which is basically a book consisting of everything I've made about the region. Once I release it to the public, you guys are free to edit it, making it one big editable mess.
Then I can organize it and make it one big mess of a game.

I'm thinking it will be VBA, Absoul, since I don't have a DeSuMe editor. If you can find me one, then please, by all means do.

Yes, yes I do have a villain. The rival is Rose, a demented little girl who believes Pokemon are sheerly animals, nothing more. However, she is extremely powerful from the start; she has one level eighty nine, however it never levels up and her party is never altered.

The villainous team is Team Echo. Way back when, they were a scientific group that worked on using electronic enhancements to Pokemon's brains. The Champions found out, they became obsessed with using the power of the mascot for Granite, Mohacadon, the grand giver of power to Pokemon, to steal the power from every domesticated Pokemon. Then, using the giver of Death, also the mascot for Basalt, Gravon, they would revive every dead Pokemon to use as an elite army to take down the league, then turn everyone into Pokemon using Bill's machine and use them as demented little guinea pigs.

Team Echo consists of the executive, Alged, and a bunch of grunts that are brainwashed Pokemon. Alged is unaware that the idea for Team Echo was actually given to him by Mewtwo, who used Darkrai to implant it into one of his dreams.

So if that answers your question, yes, I do have villains. I'm working on the fieldbook for Extrava, which is basically a book consisting of everything I've made about the region. Once I release it to the public, you guys are free to edit it, making it one big editable mess.
Then I can organize it and make it one big mess of a game.

I'm thinking it will be VBA, Absoul, since I don't have a DeSuMe editor. If you can find me one, then please, by all means do.

...Rose?
I have a friend named Rose.
Anyway, the whole brainwashed pokeymans theme is kinda cool.
Mohacadon: I can see where the name comes from. >:|
Sorry, but I don't know any DeSmuMe editor.

Do you actually have something done already, to prove that you're capable of making a game? I've seen a lot of these 'Hey I'm making a game but I just need spriters and coders and things' which basically means they only have an idea and nothing solid. Making a game is a helluva lot of work, especially something as huge as a Pokemon game (I'm studying to be a game graphics artist and we've already done some games here in school so I guess I have some kind of an idea of what I'm talking about).

What kinda bothers me is that you say it's not a hack, yet you're talking about VBA (which I assume refers to Visual Boy Advance). Why on Earth would you need a GBA emulator if you're making a game completely from scratch? :S What exactly are you making the game with?

I hate to sound nasty, but this kinda seems like yet another pipe dream. :Y

Last edited:

Aha, I suppose you're right. No, it is from scratch- for the time being, it's VBA just to kick it off. I don't need coders or anything, I just need to finish up the Dex, also we want it to be a game by the people, not the persons. So yeah, I guess.

Raven had another idea, but I'm not sure how to incorporate it...
It takes place a little after the main game, where there are actually Pokemon hunters that KILL Pokemon. You're given one of the last remaining tame Pokemon, called assassin Pikachu. You basically have to take down the Hunters or something... I don't remember, it's been a long time since we talked about that half of it.

Any recommendations would be nice. As I told Dar, I'm working on the Fieldbook of Extrava, which is basically just a big interactive book featuring everything about the region. You can edit it; afterwards, I'll do some nitpicking to pick what stays and what goes. I think it will be in the form of a Wikia Page.

Please Reply, I need as much help as humanely possible, we're only on number seventy-ish and almost out of muse juices.

So if you don't need any coders, are you going to program everything yourself?

I'm also a little confused about this VBA thing, what exactly are you doing with it since it's an emulator (I still assume you mean the emulator and not some other thing called 'VBA' since DeSmuMe was also mentioned, do correct me if I'm wrong/stupid) and not some game-making tool?

Or do you mean you're just going to start by making some kind of ROM hack and then afterwards make a standalone game or what? I can't really tell from your reply. :?

Okay. First, I make an emulator on the VBA using a bunch of different programs from Whack A Hack. After I have the hack version, we can use it to make a better, computer-game style version. So basically the hack is like a template, so we can look at it and say, "Oh, that needs to go there," or, "Oh, that looks like that." Right now I'm uploading the Fieldbook onto google docs. I'll give you guys the link later.

Uh. I'm sorry to say, but you don't really ooze believability, especially when you don't even use the terms correctly. You're going to make an emulator? VBA is an emulator. Based on your description, what you mean is a hack.

I kind of have a distinct feeling that you don't really have any idea how games are actually made (especially considering that other topic you just posted). I don't mean that as an insult, but I'd suggest you look up these things and study before declaring that you're making a game. It's for your own good.

Uh. I'm sorry to say, but you don't really ooze geniusness. I do this all the time, I know what I'm doing. I posted that other thread for a COMPLETELY different reason. I know all the terms, I just don't use them all the time. And if you're not planning on helping me, you can get off my thread.

I'd be happy to help you develop your game! :) I have a lot of experience working with Python and Pokémon Ultraton, the best programming languages. If you put me as a trainer in the game, could you make it so all my Pokémon are raisins instead? Thanks!

Oh my god. Not this again, Music Dragon. Don't you drag this onto my other threads.

I'll be honest with you, this doesn't sound that interesting. I knew it from the moment you mentioned that Rose had a level 89 from the beginning. An important part of game design is balance. Unless it is plot important (such as I first Vile fight in Mega Man X, which introduces us to Zero and makes the later fight even more personal), a player should always have a chance to win. This is why for the first fight rivals have a level 5 starter. With the sole exceptions of GSCHGSS and RSE, where you can grind a little, that is exactly what the player has. Also, rival who sees Pokémon only as tools? Hello, Silver.

Why would Mewtwo do that? In the games all he does is hang around Cerulean Cave and kick trainers' butts. Why would Darkrai do that? In the main series games he tries to stay away from humans to avoid doing them harm.

In addition, the idea the idea of killing in Pokémon is not something I'm fond of, especially from hero's side. Yes, I know Team Rocket and the Marrowak, but a) Early Installment Weirdness and b) they're the Yakuza.

okay what
a level 89 anything is probably going to wipe the floor with any starter pokemon unless you feel like grinding up to that level. that's higher than most other trained NPC pokemon in the games.
also, why are they called basalt and granite?

a level 89 anything is probably going to wipe the floor with any starter pokemon unless you feel like grinding up to that level.

Yes, that's the point. However, it never levels up, so you can tell her disaffection toward her Pokemon. By the end, you'll be able to beat her, because her party never changes, it's always the same. While she's remaining stationary, she sees you growing stronger and finds that the key to growing stronger is not merely training, it's love...

Why would Mewtwo do that? In the games all he does is hang around Cerulean Cave and kick trainers' butts. Why would Darkrai do that? In the main series games he tries to stay away from humans to avoid doing them harm.

Mewtwo did it because he was created as a science experiment. He was powerful, but he never truly felt like a Pokemon. He coaxed Darkrai into doing it for him, threatening the well-being of Crescellia (Arceus knows if I spelled that right).

In addition, the idea the idea of killing in Pokémon is not something I'm fond of, especially from hero's side.

I know, that's why we basically dropped the idea.

also, why are they called basalt and granite?

Basalt and granite are complete opposites, yet where would the planet be without one? It ties into the storyline- the legendary for Basalt is the Guardian of Death, so that no one Pokemon may rise to infinite power, and the legendary for Granite is the Guardian of Power, so that no one Pokemon may grow so weak that it simply dies. All Pokemon were created equal. Although power and death are complete opposites, without one another, it would be chaos.

I'll be honest with you, this doesn't sound that interesting. I knew it from the moment you mentioned that Rose had a level 89 from the beginning. An important part of game design is balance. Unless it is plot important (such as I first Vile fight in Mega Man X, which introduces us to Zero and makes the later fight even more personal), a player should always have a chance to win. This is why for the first fight rivals have a level 5 starter. With the sole exceptions of GSCHGSS and RSE, where you can grind a little, that is exactly what the player has. Also, rival who sees Pokémon only as tools? Hello, Silver.

I know. But this Rival is different- her parents abandoned her, so she was left all alone with the weakest of Pokemon, determined to grow stronger. And from ashes she rose, and turned one of the weakest Pokemon into one of the most powerful NP Pokemon in the game. It just shows a little about her personality. But since you guys are making such a big deal out of it, I am likely to change it, but only if you guys have a better plan.

Back
Top Bottom