• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Ranger HQ Ranger Union HQ

"Ah, so he's alive. That's good." For some reason, it sounded like Steven was simultaneously relieved, yet apprehensive of the news. Though he quickly hid his unease in a chuckle. "And researching mega stones? It certainly sounds like something I would do."

Steven listened as Koa beamed up at him. On one hand, this sort of hero worship was exactly the kind of thing he'd been hoping to avoid. But on the other, if Koa truly felt that him being here could make a difference, that the sheer belief in his capabilities was enough to help, even if only for morale, then who was he to say otherwise?

"Thank you," he said, offering Koa a smile. "I suppose it does."

But the reprieve was short lived, as he thought again about what Koa said of his world's Steven. If Koa's version had also faced the weather crisis and survived, then why would he have been any different? After all, he was here now, recalling what had happened. Then how could he explain what the Relic had showed him? What he'd heard? He saw his mother, heard her voice. It didn't seem possible; she'd been gone for years. And what did she mean, 'give him life again'?

As reassuring as Koa's words were, Steven found it hard to ignore the creeping worry that something wasn't quite right.

"Not to change the subject, but when you were purified by the Relic, did you hear anything... strange? Or see anything, perhaps a vision of some kind?"

He didn't want to bother Koa, goodness knew the poor Electrike was still recovering from the Relic's purging, but he had to get to the bottom of what the Relic had showed him. He had to.

A small knot formed in Koa's chest at the memory, and for a brief moment he tensed almost reflexively before relaxing. It was over now, so it didn't matter anymore.

"We saw a vision of Alex. And we were in some kind of... misty place. We fought him with Radiance to destroy him. It felt like awhile but it was over in a second I think, because no one else noticed how long we were gone..." Maybe that was what Sybil meant about the Saint's powers and side effects. Some kind of time distortion.

It felt weird saying something when he didn't know Steven as well but he couldn't ignore it. Not if he was in trouble somehow. "What did you see?" he asked, a note of concern in his tone. He was certain he'd seen some kind of reaction from Steven when he touched it. But if not due to Alex, then what was it?

"Oh."

Again, that was not an answer Steven was expecting, and he was left staring at Koa with a puzzled expression and no more answers than he had previously.

"That's... not what I saw. I didn't really see much of anything, to be honest. It was dark, and I heard a voice speaking to me. Initially I thought came from someone in the room at the time... but--" But it didn't.

Steven's gaze fell, and as he spoke, he searched the pueblo rooftop like it might contain the answer he was trying to find. "What I did see was brief, more like flashes, or snapshots, but... they felt like memories? Except it didn't make sense because... In order for them to be memories, it would mean..."

Suddenly, his searching stopped, and he looked up, meeting Koa's gaze with a haunted stare.

"...I have to be dead."

"What?" Koa yelped. "Wait, what do you mean?" He stared at Steven, wide-eyed, trying to make sense of his explanation. This didn't sound like whatever Nova had said about fate and whatnot. How could Steven have memories about being dead?

"
How? But..." He shook his head. His mind spun with confusion. "Betel couldn't summon you if you were dead, right? I mean, what did you hear? Maybe it meant something different?"

"I... I don't know? It's why I asked you about your world's version of me. That maybe, if there were parallels of some sort, some of this would make sense, but..."

Steven stammered his way through the explanation, sounding more lost with every word. He stared down at his upturned hands, trying to recall what else the Relic might have shown him. But even now, he could feel the edges of the memories growing fuzzy.

He gave Koa a guarded look, suddenly struck with a sense of possessiveness. They were his memories of her, such precious things; the only things left. But as quickly as the feeling appeared, it vanished, leaving him drained. He let his arms fall limply at his sides.

"...It was my mother's voice. She asked why I was here, like I shouldn't be here. But it's not-- it's not possible." Steven drew in a shaky breath, trying to steady himself. He managed, but a strange kind of desperation seeped into his voice. "She's been gone for almost twenty years."

He brought both hands up to his face, covering his eyes with a dull thunk of metal on metal. "It doesn't make any sense."

Koa's heart twisted. "I'm sorry," he murmured. A part of his mind was still fixated on the strangeness of it all. The rest of him felt terrible for Steven. His mother must have meant a lot to him...

It didn't make sense. How could Steven have had such a reaction? He hadn't been infected. If it was back home maybe he could have helped. But Saints here might not be the same as the legendaries he knew. The powers here could be different.

Koa hummed in thought. "It could be something to do with the Saint the Relic belonged too? Or it reacted to your shadows different?" It felt like he was just grasping at straws.

"You could ask Sybil about the Relic more, maybe?" He tried to give him a reassuring smile.

Steven dragged his hands down his face, managing a weak laugh in the process. "I'm sorry. All I wanted to do was apologize to you and it's turned into this." He swept an arm in a meandering arc, appearing more bemused than distraught.

He offered Koa a weak smile. "Thank you, though. I appreciate your help with this. I think I'll pay Sybil a visit again in the future. She seemed very knowledgeable about the Relic and its Saint. Maybe together we can figure out what's happening. In the meantime I'll... I'll see what more I can learn about Shadows. And myself."

"Besides, if all of this is true, and I am... you know..." He trailed off slightly, the fidgeting of his claws making a sharp click. "Well, there's not much I can do about it, is there? I'm here now. Might as well make the best of the time I have."

A quiet, metallic sigh filled the air, and he glanced back towards the doorway where Sybil's workshop was. "Not right away, though. Her research on curing Shadows is more important, as I think you'd agree. I'm glad you're alright, by the way. I can only hope we're able to do the same for everyone who is ailed by Cipher's and Alexander's handiwork."

For the first time since their conversation began, (and perhaps in an even longer while than that), Koa would see a spark of determination in Steven's gaze. "There's nowhere to go but forward. So, where will you be going next?"

At least it sounded like Steven wouldn't dwell on it too much. Still, he refused to believe it. It couldn't be true, Steven couldn't be going back to... that. "It's okay," Koa offered with a half smile. "That's what friends are for. We'll figure this out somehow. Besides I'm sure there's more to it..." But what? What could cause Steven to hear visions of someone he said was dead? Was it a vision from this world, or was it tied to Steven's home? He was certain Steven wasn't mistaken. Not the way he'd spoken about his mother... What did that feel like? No matter. He'd help Steven find out what was going on if he could.

"And we will help the others," he agreed, as much as to reassure himself as Steven. Leona had already made progress. Maybe he could talk to her sometime, see if she needed help.

"I might visit the monastery soon that the others mentioned. I want to learn more about using Radiance."

Steven was glad to see Koa's smile. He hadn't meant to drop his problems in the young trainer's lap, especially not in the wake of Koa's own burden finally being lifted from his shoulders. He should have been allowed a moment to breathe without having to worry about anyone else.

At least it seemed he'd done a good enough job of convincing Koa that he'd be fine. And why wouldn't he be? He was here, as alive as anyone. And hadn't Betel said that souls could remain in Forlas for years, decades even? If what the Relic had showed him was true, and he couldn't go back, he could simply stay here, right? Forever. Never seeing his family or friends-- or pokemon-- again.

He would be fine.

But maybe... maybe it wouldn't be so bad. Like Koa said, he was a Champion, it had to count for something. He could use his power to help those in need. Just like any Champion should.

The warmth growing in his chest suddenly jerked him back to his senses, and he realized he'd been staring into space far too long. Steven blinked, trying to put on a more convincing expression and punctuating it with a shrug.

"Add it to the pile of mysteries we seem to be accumulating since we've come here," he said with a small chuckle. His light laughter faded into something more sincere. "Thanks for listening, by the way. And thank you for giving me a second chance to do things right by you. Perhaps that's the theme of the day... Second chances."

He gave a small hum of contemplation. "The Abbey is a beautiful place, strikingly so. I just came from there when I got Sybil's summons. There's a good chance I'll be heading back there myself. It's a good place to do some thinking. And maybe some hiking." He glanced down at himself. "Or, well, you know what I mean. Perhaps I'll see you there."

A flicker of warmth grew in Koa at Steven's words, even despite his concerns still lingering. He hoped Steven really was wrong about his fears... He didn't want to consider what to do otherwise. "Of course you deserve a chance," he said awkwardly yet sincerely as he met Steven's gaze."I uh... thanks for talking to me about it though," he added in a quieter voice. Steven hadn't done anything as bad as he had. It was a relief to put everything behind them and not dwell on it anymore.

"And we're a team. I don't mind listening." Besides, hearing Steven out was better than having to think about other stuff.

Grinning, he added, "hey, if we run into each other up there, maybe we can train again." Hopefully a training session that didn't go wrong again somehow. Although he'd still had fun battling alongside him. "Now that you've evolved I bet there's way more stuff we can do."

He started towards the stairs to leave the rooftop. Champion Steven... it was weird to think about. Still grining lightly, he looked up to Steven. "So can you tell me more about your team then?"

Koa's words gave Steven pause.

"Training session?" he echoed. After what happened last time, Koa was okay with trying again? But no, he had to remind himself, this was about second chances. Steven smiled. "I'd like that. Maybe if the opportunity arises, the monks would allow us use of their training grounds. And who knows, you might have evolved by then, yourself."

Despite the weight of what the Relic had revealed, the conversation with Koa left him feeling light. He moved to follow Koa back inside, but the Electrike's words gave him pause again, but for a very different reason.

"Hm? Shouldn't you already know about my team, given you know of my counterpart in your world?" Steven's tone was teasing, and there was a cheeky glint in his eyes. "Hoping for a competitive advantage, hearing all about them straight from the Champion himself?"

He laughed-- genuinely laughed-- and headed to join Koa at the stairs. "Well, I'd be happy to oblige. Can't have another version of me with a better win-loss record. Now, you'll be shocked to learn my strongest and closest companion is a Metagross..."

<><><><><>​

[Ch05] Nova & Sybil ~ Saint it Ain't So New
It had been eating away at Nova's insides since the fight with the void swarm. Even if these void shadows things naturally existed on Forlas under Powehi's command or whatever... why was Alexander able to seize them for himself? Why was he able to seemingly corrupt an entire mystery dungeon to more closely resemble his home? And how could he just suck out his victims' powers?

As the battle was further and further in the rearview mirror, other thoughts joined what was already festering. That entropic crisis from a few decades back... a human had to be summoned to solve that. Cipher forced their way through — they weren't even summoned to help with anything! — and still were given tremendous boons in strength.

It wasn't just shadows putting these in his head. These were his thoughts. And Nova wouldn't let them fester any longer. He'd already met a Saint. And the Saints had come up as a subject now and again. But he needed to know more. He had to know if there were legends comparable to the data he'd been fed back home. Those with power over the world itself. If Powehi and Aurelia existed, then surely legends like that did, right?

He recalled there was one Ranger who was particularly devoted to the Saints: Sybil. That was a good place to start. So, Nova trudged off to find the nearest dungeon that could connect him to Ranger HQ.

... Which was also a dungeon. Right. He knew that. And the Chief — the heart or core or something of the dungeon, apparently? — was kind enough to give Nova directions to where the wyrdeer was currently working.

"Hi," Nova said, his voice a bit scratchy. "Sybil, right? I was wondering if you might be able to help me out."

Sybil was in her study sorting through her notes on the Relic Stone. One of her ears was focused on the stone, as if she were listening out for something but the sound of a visitor's voice quickly ripped her attention away.

"Oh, hello! Yes, come on in," she greeted, turning to get a good look at her guest. "Ah, you were at the Oasis, weren't you? It's very rare for me to have visitors so what do you need help with? Something to do with the Relic?"

Nova would find the room to be a bit of a tight squeeze for the both of them amongst the clutter but it was barely enough to accommodate if he could watch his step.

There was, indeed, a decent amount of workstuff. Nova sat down on the floor where he figured he wasn't in danger of knocking anything over or out of place.

"Kinda?" Nova laughed nervously. "It's, uh, tangentially related, at least. Stuff to do with the Saints, actually. Cuz I'd met with Zeraora Luz prior to the raid and, from the sound of things, she inherited her Saintly role and powers. And I'm not sure how much, if at all, she interacted with other Saints. So, I was kinda curious what you know about them as a group, so to speak."

"Well, my repertoire is more about the dungeons they can create but I do know a thing or two about them, yes," Sybil answered.

She cleared her desk, setting the Relic Stone in the corner, to roll out a few scrolls containing her research notes on Divine Dungeons. "Stories of pokémon ascending into Sainthood is a common theme throughout their stories, so if Luz indicated that she inherited the power, I do believe with certainty that she did. I have heard that ascension itself is a long process given to those deemed worthy and Saints themselves hold a great amount of power over their domains and can typically embody and use powers that normal pokémon could otherwise not utilise - I believe deity is a common synonym for them in certain communities. For example, the Purifying Spirit had the ability to manipulate time and it could be observed within its dungeon.

"But as you can see, the Spirit is no longer with us," she said with a more solemn tone. "When a Saint passes on without a heir, their power forms into a Relic, although if left for a long time, even that power will fade."

She glanced at the Relic, deep in thought. "I do have my theories as to why this happens if you care to lend a listening ear."

Saints held great power over their domains? That sure sounded like the kind of legendary feats Nova was interested in. Sybil's request sounded right up his alley, then.

"I'd be happy to," Nova said.

Sybil perked up with excitement. "To put it simply, I believe that the Saints leave a Relic behind when they pass on without a heir to ensure that one may come to take their mantle in the future. The formation of a Divine Dungeon occurring to test anyone who comes across one to see if they are worthy of that mantle seeing that there is no Saint around to make that judgement personally.

"And if that's true, the fact that we managed to reach the Oasis' heart and retrieve it does indicate that one of us from that expedition was deemed to be worthy of becoming the next Purifying Spirit."

Her gaze flicked over her scrolls. "The more powerful the Saint, the more challenging the dungeon. The Spirit was said to have more benign powers relating to Time Travel and purging Shadows, which was why the Oasis was far from treacherous and seemed more interested in creating puzzles related to the flow of time than a straightforward test of strength. A more powerful or destructive Saint would certainly form a Dungeon that would reflect that."

She looked back at Nova. "What is it about them that interests you?"

"I was actually hoping to understand how their powers... interact with Forlas." Nova lifted his foreleg and traced a circle. "What sorts of effects they have on the world. It sounds like the Purifying Saint's dungeon reflected their powers... so maybe the other divine dungeons out there work similarly?"

"Not just 'maybe', they do," Sybil said in response to Nova's question. "The Oasis may have been the first Divine Dungeon I have entered but I have studied enough to know that a Divine Dungeon that doesn't reflect its Saint is atypical." With a small mutter she added, "I look forward to the day when I can enter a Divine Dungeon of a more powerful Saint."

She looked thoughtful at the idea of Saints influencing and interacting with Forlas. "From what I can gather, there are some very old legends that speak of Saints with immense power that could shape the world but it is nigh on impossible to learn anything more recent about them." She shrugged. "So I must consider them to be nothing more than myth and legend. If they even existed, their Dungeons and Relics are almost certainly out there somewhere but finding them and actually reaching their heart is a different story."

Her ear flicked towards the stone again, like Sybil was listening for something. It was a tiny movement, hardly noticeable as she continued.

"The known Saints these days can have some local influence, especially with their Radiance, but nowhere near what is told in those legends."

So, it was like back home, where they were nonexistent. Until they weren't.

"I think they could be real," Nova said. "And I think... I'm the proof of that." He paused. "Well, Gladion, ARK, and I."

Back
Top Bottom