• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Should AIDS be cured?

Should people try to find a cure or vaccination for AIDS?

• um yeah

Votes: 40 87.0%
  • No, because [something about overpopulation goes here]

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • No, because people who make stupid decisions and those who consort with idiots deserve whatever they

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Doesn't affect me so I... don't really care

Votes: 3 6.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fer-Snazzle said:
... more people (especially ignorant ones) would sleep around more....

Wouldn't bet on that mate. There's still the risk of catching a sexually transmitted dieases and some of them have no cure (such as herpes).

Anyway, I think that a cure for AIDS shouldn't be found because, it's a natural thing.
just like polio and smallpox and the black plague and all manner of other diseases that have killed hundreds of millions of people and wrecked the lives of untold others

Look at the world now. It's working nicely. I mean, there is alot of tension in places, but the human race is functioning - for the most part - well.
are you fucking kidding me? the entire planet is a goddamn circus at the moment

I also think that, without the threat of death by AIDS, more people (especially ignorant ones) would sleep around more. Now look me in the eye and tell me that that's not looked down upon in society.
who fucking cares

being a guy with long hair is looked down upon in society

sleep with whomever you want

But - not dragging morals into this - more std's would be transmitted that way.
hurrka durr not if we cure them all

I just kind of think that the human race survived through many pandemics before the disease that caused them was cured. Why not this one?
?!

we HAVE survived through it and now it is time to CURE IT. what the hell? "we shouldn't cure HIV because we can survive HIV until we cure it"?

I do see a fault in that logic, but not one that is dramatic enough to affect the survival of humanity.
"I know what I just said is completely nonsensical but listen to it anyway"

I'm not saying that druggies or sex-addicts deserve to get AIDS, I'm just saying that they have to live with their choices. Far be it from me to tell them they were wrong, but they did it to themselves.
you know what? fuck you and your self-righteous preaching. I hope you catch HIV the very first time you have sex.

there is absolutely nothing wrong with being promiscuous, and it is entirely possible to take reasonable precautions while doing so. do you snub your nose at responsible mountain climbers who get caught in avalanches, because they did it to themselves? what about people who try to cross the road but get hit by a drunk driver speeding around a corner at 80mph? lol, sucks for you, you brought this on yourself by trying to cross the road; we shouldn't bother trying to stop drunken driving!

you also neglect to take into account HIV passed down from an infected parent, condoms breaking, test failures, infected roommates, mouth ulcers, etc etc. plus there's the most common case: people who sleep with only one or two others at a time but catch it anyway without knowing it.

Curing AIDS would have a huge impact on our race, and would be a giant milestone for humans, but I just think that changing the world so drastically wouldn't be a good idea while we're moving along without that happening. I mean, it would cause a considerable population boom (less people dying, and more people being able to have children), which we wouldn't have to worry about for quite awhile, but it would make things a bit less smooth (economically?), add a bit more stress to some situations, and lowering hygene in cramped areas (also, kind of making them miserable).

I'd just like to point out, the just because AIDS is cured, it doesn't mean the population will boom. There are many other way's to die other than AIDS.

And the overpopulation bit won't work out too. So far, AIDS has killed over 25 million people. Well, the world has about six billion (and counting) living people. 25 million is nothing compared to six billion. In fact, it's only 1/1200 of it. So, that point doesn't work as well as you may think.

Anyway, I think that a cure for AIDS shouldn't be found because, it's a natural thing.

Computers aren't natural.
Houses aren't natural.
Clothes aren't natural.
Living until 30 isn't natural.
Humans live in an unnatural society, don't bring naturality into debates of our own survival when the very evolutionary trait that makes us so special and good at survival is our big, tool making brains.

Look at the world now. It's working nicely. I mean, there is alot of tension in places, but the human race is functioning - for the most part - well. Maybe not smoothly, but well enough.

1. Not especially. We're running into an economic depression and the US and Britain are currently at war with countries half way across the planet.
2. Why not make it better?

Curing AIDS would have a huge impact on our race, and would be a giant milestone for humans, but I just think that changing the world so drastically wouldn't be a good idea while we're moving along without that happening.

What?
Sorry, are you saying that you'd stop a cure for AIDS because it'd be a success for humanity?

I mean, it would cause a considerable population boom (less people dying, and more people being able to have children), which we wouldn't have to worry about for quite awhile, but it would make things a bit less smooth (economically?), add a bit more stress to some situations, and lowering hygene in cramped areas (also, kind of making them miserable).

And a plague is the only answer to this problem? What about better sex education, legalised abortions, and more effective contraception? Surely simply stopping as many people getting pregnant would be a better idea than letting people die?

Eventually, communist-like actions would have to be taken to control this effect.

Irrelevant and I'm sure some people would be happy for Communism to be named the leading economic system of the world.

I also think that, without the threat of death by AIDS, more people (especially ignorant ones) would sleep around more.

... So what?

Now look me in the eye and tell me that that's not looked down upon in society.

I won't. I'll tell you that I don't give a damn what people do in their bedrooms and a more effective way to stop STIs would be better sex education and contraception.

But - not dragging morals into this - more std's would be transmitted that way.

Something more effective contraceptives and better sex education would help mend.

I just kind of think that the human race survived through many pandemics before the disease that caused them was cured. Why not this one?

Because of one thing I don't think you're grasping;

Millions of people died during them.

I do see a fault in that logic, but not one that is dramatic enough to affect the survival of humanity.

... Because humanity is unable to survive otherwise!?

Plus, nowadays, the likelyhood of being infected by a contaminated needle in the hospital of a developed country is almost zero.

I'd like that exact number and then times it by the population of the US. That is how many people will be infected by contaminated needles.

I'm not saying that druggies or sex-addicts deserve to get AIDS, I'm just saying that they have to live with their choices.

People make mistakes. People should learn from their mistakes. People should not be punished for the rest of their lives for their mistakes.

Far be it from me to tell them they were wrong, but they did it to themselves.

And as such, we as caring human beings should try to help them.

Didn't I just say that I don't think that people should be punished for making some kind of mistake? I said that I believed that things happen when you do things like this. It's all cause and effect. If you get an HIV infection, well, you have it. Alright. Maybe you could've considered that when you made the descision...But you made the descision that would make you happiest, right? You don't have a condom, but you really want to have sex, so ok, you think sex will make you happier that not, so do it. You don't have a needle, but you have some heroine or something (idk which drugs are which) and your friend has a needle. If you think that being high for a little while longer is worth it, then by all means go ahead. I'm just saying that making descisions (whether you consider your choice right or wrong has nothing to do with it if you still make the choice) that can potenitally be harmful runs the risk of, well, harm.

Wow all of those quotes deal with the words and not what I meant by them >.<"

I also said that the population boom isn't something that we would have to worry about for a long time, k?

And I do believe there is a line between neccisary "unnatural things" and unneccisary "unnatural things".

And I know that millions of people died during pandemics, but not the entire human race...which was the point that I was trying to make right there.

So, like, I have different views on drunk driving and natural disasters, Eevee, I don't view everything in the world the exact same way.

Once again- Where are you getting punishment from, GameFreakerZero?

Can I just restate the fact that that's what I believe, and why I believe it? And, that I was curious to know why you believed the way you do? Also, if you quote one tiny passage about something, without including another statement about the same subject, how can you properly critique what I was trying to say? hmm...?

Last edited:
Didn't I just say that I don't think that people should be punished for making some kind of mistake?

But the rest of your post is basically a big thing saying "if you made a stupid decision in your life, you should pay for the rest of your life for it".

So no, you haven't said you don't think people should be punished for making a mistake; you just made a post saying completely the opposite.

You don't have a condom,

Condoms aren't 100% effective and probably never will be.

Maybe you could've considered that when you made the descision...But you made the descision that would make you happiest, right? You don't have a condom, but you really want to have sex, so ok, you think sex will make you happier that not, so do it.
you really want to cross that road, right?

You don't have a needle, but you have some heroine or something
clearly you are an expert on this subject

Wow all of those quotes deal with the words and not what I meant by them >.<"
then learn to fucking express yourself before you start stupid debate threads

And I do believe there is a line between neccisary "unnatural things" and unneccisary "unnatural things".
internet forums are not necessary "unnatural things"

And I know that millions of people died during pandemics, but not the entire human race...which was the point that I was trying to make right there.
oh okay as long as we don't all die

So, like, I have different views on drunk driving and natural disasters, Eevee, I don't view everything in the world the exact same way.
this is not a coherent sentence

Can I just restate the fact that that's what I believe, and why I believe it?
what you believe is dumb and you have never stated why you believe it

can this thread be archived forever please
5'd

Ok, I kind of think I'm beat >.<
I'm having so much fun right now...

I think my main issue is not being able to convey to you what I mean by what I say........or something.

My point is, ~AIDS = wtv~ to me, alright? ~people having AIDS = normal occurance~ the world over, hm? I just don't think that a cure is absolutely neccisary, considering that people die anyway. Yes, everything I'm saying here makes me sound heartless, and I'm almost convinced that what I'm talking about is ridiculous and makes no sense, but I'm too stubborn to admit it or something.

I - believe - what - I - do - because - AIDS - won't - destroy - all - of - humanity, - so why waste time and effort on it? Yes yes yes, you'll probably say something about punishment and how it's not right, and I'll probably claim to say that that's not what I meant, but I sort of think you're right.

Also, I think that I'm providing as much information about why I think the way I do as all of you are. Now please, could you say exactly why you have your beliefs and opinions without being as rude as I feel right now?

~people having AIDS = normal occurance~ the world over, hm?
many things have been normal occurrences the world over throughout history

of note:
slavery
child labor
subjugation of women
various other deadly diseases

I just don't think that a cure is absolutely neccisary, considering that people die anyway.
go get some cancer that leaves you with six months to live and see how you feel knowing that "people die anyway"

and christ get some spellcheck

I - believe - what - I - do - because - AIDS - won't - destroy - all - of - humanity, - so why waste time and effort on it?
what the fucking hell should we be spending our time and effort on? I cannot name a single pursuit of ours at the moment that seeks to save the entire species from destruction.

Now please, could you say exactly why you have your beliefs and opinions without being as rude as I feel right now?
it is an increasingly common incurable disease that is wrecking lives and killing people

it is a blight upon our species and should be eradicated

Ok, I kind of think I'm beat >.<
I'm having so much fun right now...

I think my main issue is not being able to convey to you what I mean by what I say........or something.

My point is, ~AIDS = wtv~ to me, alright? ~people having AIDS = normal occurance~ the world over, hm? I just don't think that a cure is absolutely neccisary, considering that people die anyway. Yes, everything I'm saying here makes me sound heartless, and I'm almost convinced that what I'm talking about is ridiculous and makes no sense, but I'm too stubborn to admit it or something.

I - believe - what - I - do - because - AIDS - won't - destroy - all - of - humanity, - so why waste time and effort on it? Yes yes yes, you'll probably say something about punishment and how it's not right, and I'll probably claim to say that that's not what I meant, but I sort of think you're right.

Also, I think that I'm providing as much information about why I think the way I do as all of you are. Now please, could you say exactly why you have your beliefs and opinions without being as rude as I feel right now?
You are against curing a disease that is plaguing millions of people as we speak... and suddenly you're wondering why people aren't kissing the ground you walk on?

It's because you are being an dumbass. I'm not going to fluff it up with cute arguments and statements to try and counter your "points."

needs more hyphens

yeah - man - this - is - the - best - way - to - get - your - point - across

check - out - my - ~*~EMPHASIS~*~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom