• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Sojaveña Wilds Silver Riverside

Ridley's Pounce dealt 7 to Jade! -1 Spd
Ridley's Shadow Sneak dealt 11 to Jade!
Ridley's Shadow Sneak dealt 9 to Steven!
Koa's CRITICAL Slash dealt 9 to Steven! Lucky Ribbon prevented the pierce!
Koa's Mach Punch dealt 10 to Jade!
Koa's Spark dealt 10 to Jade! Paralyzed!

"Jade!"

Steven watched in shock as the remnants of Ridley's Shadow Sneak slithered away from Jade before striking him. The blow stung, it was a good move, but he was too stunned by the fact that it had hit Jade. A ghost type move just hit a normal type.

"What on earth--?" he managed to get out before Koa slammed into him with sharpened claws. He grunted from the impact which luckily caught his unblemished side, but still left him staggered. Koa was already off and running, and Steven could do nothing as Koa tackled Jade with a pelt full of sparks.

Dammit, he needed to get his act together and pull his weight on this team. Cursing under his breath, Steven gathered himself and darted to Jade's side, taking a parting swipe at Koa to drive him back.

"Are you alright?" he asked, harried. "I'm sorry, I was so surprised. How... how did Ridley's attack hit you? Did he--?" Steven froze. Was that a Shadow attack? In a friendly sparring match?

Keeping an eye on Jade, Steven swiveling to put himself between her and both of their opponents. "Something's not right. Try to catch your breath. I've got you covered for now."

He stared down Ridley and Koa and braced himself, waiting to see who would make the first move.

Steven (40 STM, 16 TMP, +4 SPD, +0 ACC)
- Hold Back @ Koa (-6 STM, +3 TMP)
- Activate feat (Guardian Feat) @ Jade (-8 TMP)
- Iron Defense (-13.5 STM, +2 TMP)
- **Bonus Action:** Call @ Jade
Net change: -15 STM, -3 TMP
Net totals: 25 STM (40 after regen), 13 TMP
(TAKE COVER)

Jade blinked up at Steven as she picked herself up from the ground, clutching at the spot where she'd been hit Her fur stood on end; the spot stung like it was both hot and cold and somehow wrong, despite there being no visible wound.

“Sh-shadow…?" she asked, glancing back at the not-Cleffa, squinting like that would somehow let her see something that looked off, even though he looked exactly the same.

(He’d walked into that ocean. Was that what’d caused it? Why on earth had he...)

Steven had taken up a defensive position in front of her, and Jade tried to convince herself that she was pulling her weight when her muscles had seized up and her moves had all the punch of a pool noodle. Come on, come onnn..... If she was too weak to make a dent here, in a meaningless training match, what chance did she have in the battles that really mattered?

Jade (54 STM, 17 TMP, -3 SPD, +0 ACC)
- Receive Call (+3 TMP)
- Trailblaze @ [TARGET] (-15 STM, +2 TMP)
- **Bonus Action:** SHADOW Focus (+5 TMP)
- CRITICAL SHADOW Play Rough @ [TARGET] (-16 STM, Sure Hit, -20 TMP, +2 TMP)
Net change: -39 STM, -8 TMP
Net totals: 15 STM (42 after regen), 9 TMP
(TAKE COVER)

Steven is guarding Jade!
Steven's Hold Back dealt 4 to Koa!
Jade's Trailblaze dealt 9 to Koa! +1 Spd
Jade's CRITICAL Play Rough dealt 23 to Koa!

That was - it had been an accident. He hadn't meant to do it.

Now that he'd touched it once, Ridley could feel the shadow energy lurking inside of himself. It responded readily to his attention, bubbling to the surface -

Horrified, Ridley drew back from it as quickly as he could. Was this what Powehi had done to save him? Was this why he'd been feeling like an alien in his own skin ever since he'd woken up? What was wrong with him?

Ridley was pulled out of his incipient panic by the sight of Jade battering Koa with a shadow move of her own. Hey, wow, no, hey, what the fuck? Forget what was wrong with Ridley; what was wrong with Jade for escalating like that?

With new anger sparking inside him, Ridley threw himself back on the offensive.

Ridley (71 STM, 25 TMP, +0 SPD, +0 ACC)
- Pounce @ Jade (-15 STM, +2 TMP)
- **Bonus Action:** Item (Iron Thorn) @ Jade
- CRITICAL Drain Punch @ Jade (-17 STM, -20 TMP, +2 TMP)
- Shadow Sneak @ Steven (-6 STM, +2 TMP)
- Shadow Sneak @ Steven (-9 STM, +2 TMP)
- Receive Call (+3 TMP)
Net change: -47 STM, -9 TMP
Net totals: 24 STM (50 after regen), 16 TMP
(TAKE COVER)

Last edited:
A yelp of shcok escaped him as Jade struck and for a split second, he saw stars. Shaking his head and panting, he scrambled back, his pelt still stinging unnaturally where she'd struck. "Hey! What what was that?" he snapped.

He glanced wildly between Ridley and Jade. Still wincing, he reflexively grabbed for the oran berry in his jacket pocket, grateful for it taking the edge off. Were they both using shadow attacks? Judging by the look on Jade's face, she had used one, if only by accident. His stomach churned.

"Jade-" Beside him Ridley was preparing a retaliation. Koa's eyes widened. "Ridley wait-" before Koa could formulate a response, Ridley took off after Steven and Jade. No... they couldn't let this match get out of hand.

"Ridley slow down! This is only training, take it easy."

Koa (80 STM, 5 TMP, +0 SPD, +0 ACC)
- **Bonus Action:** Item (Oran Berry)
- **Bonus Action:** Call @ Ridley
Net change: +0 STM, +0 TMP
Net totals: 80 STM (92 after regen), 5 TMP
(TAKE COVER)
(BREATHER)

Ridley's Pounce hit Steven instead! 6 dmg, -1 Spd
Ridley's Iron Thorn dealt 10 to Jade
Ridley's CRITICAL Drain Punch dealt 26 to Jade
Ridley's Double Shadow Sneak dealt 9+9 to Steven

"I--I..." Jade's eyes were wide, dumbstruck at the momentary look of horror on Koa's face. "S-sorry! I have no idea what that... what that was..." Her words trailed off as she glanced at Ridley and immediately wished she hadn't. There was something wrong about him, something that made her not even want to look at him, let alone attack him.

At least Koa seemed fine after that Oran Berry. It... would be kind of embarrassing to call it here, what, just because they'd taken some damage? They were both trainers, this was nothing out of the ordinary... right?

Jade grabbed her own Oran from her bag and that soothed some of the aches at least. Couldn't do anything about the sluggish, unresponsive muscles, aside from trying to keep building speed.

"Um, thanks for having my back there," she added to Steven, desperately hoping he wouldn't comment on whatever had just happened.

Jade (42 STM, 9 TMP, -2 SPD, +0 ACC)
- **Bonus Action:** Item (Oran Berry)
- Trailblaze @ Koa (-15 STM, +2 TMP)
- Chilling Water @ Koa (-18 STM, +2 TMP)
Net change: -38 STM, +4 TMP
Net totals: 4 STM (31 after regen), 13 TMP
(TAKE COVER)

Ridley came for Jade, but Steven was ready. He darted in front to take the blow, but Ridley bounced off of Steven right at Jade with another strike, and before he could react Ridley came back, appearing beneath Steven from his own shadow.

Out of instinct, Steven spun and swatted Ridley away with his claw, only to pull back in surprise when instead of passing right through like he expected, he made solid contact with the ghost type.

"What?"

It was just like before, when Ridley was able to hit Jade. He turned towards the Meowth to see if she'd seen the same thing he had while trying to shrug off the lingering chill from Ridley's attack. The ghost type move stung, but it was only surface-deep. Not like Shadows that burrowed into your body, festering there.

But when he turned towards his partner, the look of shock on her face wasn't directed at his confrontation with Ridley. Instead she was fixated on Koa who stared right back. What had happened? Wait... Had she accidentally used a Shadow move, too? Gods, was it her first time experiencing her own Shadows? No wonder she looked so spooked. (He certainly knew the feeling well...)

"Jade, hey--" he called, and was about to ask her if she was alright, but she'd already steeled herself, thanking him instead. So he nodded and offered what he hoped was a reassuring smile. "You're doing great. Keep it up. I've got you covered again."

He waited as she dashed off, throwing herself back into the fray and focused. Keep those defenses up... Keep that speed up... Steady, and... Go! As Jade finished her last attack, he appeared at her side, ready to block for her again all the while keeping a close eye on Ridley, trying to figure out why he seemed so different.

Steven (40 STM, 14 TMP, +2 SPD, +0 ACC)
- Hold Back @ Ridley (-6 STM, +2 TMP)
- Autotomize (-14.25 STM, +2 TMP)
- Iron Defense (-18 STM, +2 TMP)
- Activate feat (Guardian Feat) @ Jade (-8 TMP)
- **Bonus Action:** Focus (+5 TMP)
Net change: -34 STM, +3 TMP
Net totals: 6 STM (21 after regen), 17 TMP
(TAKE COVER)

Steven is guarding Jade!
Jade's Trailblaze dealt 9 to Koa! +1 Spd
Jade's Chilling Water dealt 8 to Koa! -1 Atk
Steven's Hold Back dealt 1 to Ridley!

Ridley watched as Jade once again ignored him and threw most of her attacks at Koa. Why was she..?

...because they knew that Koa was the greater threat, Ridley realised. If they took Koa down, the battle was effectively won; Ridley didn't have the tenacity to keep fighting on his own.

Hot on the heels of that realisation came another: Ridley and Koa should have been doing the same thing. Steven's offensive capabilities were lacking at best, leaving Jade as the only real threat on their team. If they could beat her, then the fight would become a simple farce of Ridley and Koa chasing Steven around, trying to wear him down.

Self-doubt crept in. Koa was more experienced in battle than Ridley, and he'd been the one to suggest that he go after Steven. Wouldn't he know better than Ridley did?

But they were losing, and if they let Jade keep attacking Koa, they'd lose for sure. Trying something else wouldn't make the situation worse, and it might just let them turn this battle around.

It was only a training battle. If they lost it wouldn't matter. There was a limit to how much damage Ridley's stupid ideas could do.

"We need to focus on Jade!" Ridley yelled at Koa, and threw himself back at her without waiting to see whether Koa followed his advice.

Ridley (50 STM, 16 TMP, +0 SPD, +0 ACC)
- Shadow Sneak @ Jade (-6 STM, +2 TMP)
- **Bonus Action:** Item (Iron Thorn) @ Jade
- Pounce @ Jade (-15 STM, +2 TMP)
- CRITICAL Drain Punch @ Jade (-17 STM, -20 TMP, +2 TMP)
- Receive Call (+3 TMP)
Net change: -38 STM, -11 TMP
Net totals: 12 STM (38 after regen), 5 TMP
(TAKE COVER)

Last edited:
Ridley was right. If they were playing to win, then switching to Jade would be better. Steven wouldn't be able to do much if they took care of her. At least for now nobody was losing their minds to shadow.

"I've got this Ridley!" He grinned. Time to go all out. Bouncing lightly on his paws, he emptied his brain of his worries. Then he lunged in a flash of light and flurry of claws.

Koa (92 STM, 5 TMP, +0 SPD, +0 ACC)
- **Bonus Action:** Call @ Ridley
- Mach Punch @ Jade (-6 STM, +3 TMP)
- Mach Punch @ Jade (-9 STM, +3 TMP)
- STRONG Spark @ Jade (-24 STM, +5 TMP)
- CRITICAL Slash @ Jade (-13 STM, -15 TMP, +3 TMP)
Net change: -52 STM, -1 TMP
Net totals: 40 STM (63 after regen), 4 TMP
(TAKE COVER)

Last edited:
Ridley's Shadow Sneak dealt 3 to Jade!
Ridley's Iron Thorn dealt 12 to Jade!
Ridley's Pounce hit Steven instead! 6 dmg, -1 Spd
Ridley's CRITICAL Drain Punch dealt 21 to Jade!
Koa's Mach Punch dealt 13+13 to Jade!
Koa's STRONG Spark dealt 16 to Jade!

Jade blanched after hearing what Ridley had called out before quickly ducking behind Steven. Was this retaliation for hitting Koa too hard with that--whatever it was? For ignoring Ridley, when she still couldn't look at him without having to suppress a cold shiver?

This was just supposed to be training, why was her heart still beating uncomfortably fast, why wouldn't that chill go away.

Another wave of blows struck, leaving Jade winded. As Koa drew back, claws outstretched, Jade finally broke past whatever shame was holding her back and managed to call out, "Alright, I'm done!"

Koa let the energy disperse and blinked as he dropped onto all fours. Now that he was closer to her could see that she seemed agitated, and he quickly backed up a couple steps. Had he been too rough? In the heat of the moment he'd been thinking about the battle but maybe he'd gone too far in his counterattack? Or... Both Ridley's move and then Jade's. With a start, it occurred to him that Jade might not have ever seen shadow before like this, much less used it.

"Are you alright?" he asked, glancing between her and Steven.

Jade picked herself up from the ground, gripping her bag's shoulder strap as her tail swished back and forth. "Y-yeah, I'll be okay." She forced a smile and said, "Guess that's what I get for not training enough."

She wanted to leave.

With a small bow, Jade turned to Steven and said, "Thanks for having my back. Er, in the fight. I should probably head out now. Um, maybe we could train again sometime." She was acutely aware of how the pauses between sentences weren't the right length, and abruptly realized that she'd forgotten to keep track of whatever her expression looked like, but by that point she'd already turned to walk briskly back toward Frontier Town.

Well, Ridley felt kind of like shit now.

He'd thought, earlier, that he couldn't remember ever having seen Jade fight. Now it occurred to him that maybe he hadn't seen her because she hadn't been fighting, at least not as frequently as Ridley and Koa had.

Ridley might have had a low opinion of his ability in a fight, but he'd easily adapted to how violent fights in this world could get. He'd been hit enough times to know what to expect. If Jade hadn't had that opportunity...

If that were the case, then he and Koa had been pretty awful to her.

"I'm sorry!" he called after her weakly. "That was probably a lot more intense than you wanted to get, huh?"

Koa glanced around at the three of them, old familiar guilt gnawing at him. Part of him was angry, and wanted to snap at Ridley or, himself, or anyone, but he wrestled down the surging emotions. Reacting or lashing out would just make things so much worse. He glanced towards Jade's distant form, knots of worry forming in his stomach. Should he... No, he should give her space. He wouldn't have wanted to see anybody after something like that either.

Instead, he turned back to Ridley. "What happened?" he asked, a note of anxiousness creeping into his tone. "Why-" he bit back the question. "You used shadows." It was a statement more than an accusation. He had wanted to confront Ridley earlier but now would have to work. "What's going on?" He paused. "Is this because of... Powehi?"

Last edited:
Steven had to bite back on his instinct to reply to Jade with an apology. It wouldn't work as a reply to what she said, and the only reason he was able to stop himself was because he couldn't think of what to say to actually reply to her, but it didn't stall the need to say sorry. Because he knew the haunted expression in her eyes was his fault.

He could have stopped this. At any point, from start to finish, he had the ability to put an end to this match and make sure Jade didn't have to endure what she did.

But he didn't. And no words would be enough to make up for that. So instead he had to swallow his voice and awkwardly nod as she thanked him for his abject failure.

"Another time then," he said, stiffer than he'd meant. And then he watched her go, all but sprinting away from the mess he'd created.

Vaguely he was aware of Koa asking him a question at some point, but the sharpness in his tone as he asked another aimed at Ridley jolted Steven back to the present. Or at least enough of the present for him to realize that Koa's anger really should have been directed at him.

Because he shouldn't have hastily agreed to a double battle. Because he should have had a clearer training plan in place instead. Because he should have put Ridley on a team with himself to give more guided instruction. Because he shouldn't have assumed Jade's level of comfort in battle despite her being quite adept. Because he overestimated his own abilities and let his teammate down. Because--

But he stayed quiet, letting his eye drift towards Ridley instead. As much as he was burying himself in guilt, the one thing that wasn't (but probably still was) his fault was whatever was going on with Ridley and the shadows...

"What happened?" he asked, a note of anxiousness creeping into his tone. "Why-" he bit back the question. "You used shadows." It was a statement more than an accusation. He had wanted to confront Ridley earlier but now would have to work. "What's going on?" He paused. "Is this because of... Powehi?"

"I don't know!" Ridley said defensively. "I didn't do it on purpose! Powehi didn't exactly tell me what he was doing to me! Just that he'd have to alter me, and that I'd have to fight a lot in order to fix it."

He said, "I didn't mean to do it." Not the shadow move, and not scaring Jade the way he had. But what the fuck did his intentions matter, when it had happened anyway? When it kept happening? All he ever had to do was think for a second before acting, but apparently that was too much to ask of himself.

Koa's eyes widened and he opened his mouth Powehi altered you!? but managed to curb his exclamation and shut his mouth. Yelling wouldn't help. He wasn't even that angry, not really. Earlier he'd been more worried about Ridley than anything.

"Okay uh..." he took a careful breath. Tried to speak calm and steady. "Look, at least we caught whatever this is now." He shot a glance at Steven, who still looked understandably unnerved, and tried to remember how Odette had reacted when he'd gone to talk to her after meeting Alex.

"W- I'm not mad just... Didn't expect that. What exactly happened with all that? What did Powehi tell you?" He paused, then added, "the more we know the more we can help."

"That was all of it," Ridley said, trying not to shap. Koa was using the same calm, soothing tones on him that he'd used on the shadow drapion, and it was pissing Ridley off. He wasn't a monster who needed coaxing. Not yet. "Just that he would have to alter me, that it was temporary, and that I could go back to normal when I'd fought enough to... 'realign my aura', or whatever." And that he'd have nightmares. And that he'd deserve them. "And that he wouldn't be able to prevent me from becoming a shadow pokemon."

He hadn't wanted to admit that last part, but at this point probably the only thing worse than endangering people through his own carelessness was doing that and then not warning them about it.

Steven's eye widened as Ridley explained. Powehi had altered him? Was Ridley now like Seth, then? Partially shadowed, struggling to keep his emotions in check? It was no wonder he'd used a Shadow move during the match. Ridley was probably stressed out of his mind the whole time.

Rayquaza above, he was supposed to teach Ridley, not traumatize him.

This time the apology came tumbling out. "I'm sorry," said Steven. "If I had known... I shouldn't have put you in that situation with the training match. I'd offered to help with your confidence in battle, and I just threw you into it with no instruction."

Great job, Stone. Failing your teammates left, right, and center.

His gaze fell, and his claw clenched tight. Koa said they could try and help? Too bad every time he'd tried to help he made things worse...

Back
Top Bottom