• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Novelux The Museum of Everlasting Brilliance

Koa nodded as he took in the Dwebble's explanation. Strange, but then again, it made sense that there would be different trams for different size mon. Especially without the convenience of pokeballs. His gaze lingered on the Scrafty, but it didn't turn back or try to wave the tram down. Probably not the mon Ghaspius was supposed to meet then.

Craning his neck, he peered up at the massive building as he listened to the conductor. It easily rivaled even buildings back home in Sinnoh. He hoped Ghapius and Andre had better memories than him about city, in case he missed anything interesting.

The exact science of perfume making went over Koa's head, but he found himself appreciating Ghaspius passion for the science. Or alchemy, he guessed (although he wasn't sure how exactly they were different here). He peered out the window, his gaze landing on the Gothitelle. For a moment he wondered if she was the one they were meeting. Although if she was, Koa wasn't sure why she didn't just make herself known. Maybe just some curious bystander then...

"So... what's you favorite part of the city to visit then?" he asked curiously.

Andre took the chance to pry. "You said Fermlein was a self-made mon. What's the story there?" When it came to anyone 'self-made', he was always skeptical.
"In his youth, he was just a humble cotton worker with barely a dollar to his name," the Conductor began, leaning on the panel as he gestured with his claws, "But he was smart. He knew which times of the year had the best yields, knew how to use his moves to separate the seeds from fluff, and knew which companies would be short-staffed. He carefully chose the companies to work for and periods of overtime he could do, and saved up as much as he could. He was even able to get an oversight position at one point, which gave him a lot more info about how the industry worked."

He began to dig beneath his hat as his continued. "Long story short, he made some real smart investments in materials of the future — oil, coal iron — 'til he was finally able to make his own steel mill with the money he saved up over the years. But the real competitive advantage was some he learned from his cotton job all those years ago: transportation."

The Dwebble pulled out a small book from underneath his hat with one claw as he proudly tapped his panel with another. "Fermlein set down many of the railways you see around Novelux today. Trains were the future! And he was 100% right!" He handed the book to Andre. "I got here his autobiography if you're curious. But he's living proof that all it takes is a bit of observation and a lot of trust in the railway to go from rags to riches!" The Conductor just really liked his trains.

"So... what's your favorite part of the city to visit then?" he asked curiously.
"Well, I'd be lying if I didn't say the Wharf wasn't my favorite place. All of those beautiful railroad car models..." The Dwebble pinched his claw as he closed his eyes and smiled. "But if we're talking about my favorite place to recommend visitors? I'd say the Howard Sparkwright Polytechnic Institute. Ever wanted to see where all the eggheads make the city doohickeys? One of the museum exhibits is full of stuff straight from there!"

He opened his eyes again and gave a sympathetic look. "And sorry about the museum being closed today. Come back around in a bit and I'm sure you'll have a great time." He briefly looked at a nearby street clock. It was almost time to depart. "Am a bit curious though, you've got a mix of accents going on there. Where are you all from? What brings you to Novelux?"

Last edited:
The Dwebble pulled out a small book from underneath his hat with one claw as he proudly tapped his panel with another. "Fermlein set down many of the railways you see around Novelux today. Trains were the future! And he was 100% right!" He handed the book to Andre. "I got here his autobiography if you're curious. But he's living proof that all it takes is a bit of observation and a lot of trust in the railway to go from rags to riches!" The Conductor just really liked his trains.
Andre nodded reservedly as the Conductor recounted Fermlein's story. It did sound pretty legit after all. Well, it wasn't as if self-made people were a complete myth, especially when industry and technology were growing so quickly.

"That's alright," he said when the dwebble offered the book. "I'll look into it later."

He opened his eyes again and gave a sympathetic look. "And sorry about the museum being closed today. Come back around in a bit and I'm sure you'll have a great time." He briefly looked at a nearby street clock. It was almost time to depart. "Am a bit curious though, you've got a mix of accents going on there. Where are you all from? What brings you to Novelux?"
Andre glanced at Koa and Ghaspius. He didn't really want to reveal their off-world-ness as it would probably become a whole thing, but he wouldn't really be upset if the others did it, either. He decided to start with a partial truth. "Well, we're from Frontier Town. Ghaspius here got an invitation to an interview, and I tagged along to get more acquainted with the city. I feel that seeing the place in the flesh would be more informative than just hearing or reading about it."

Sick... "Huh, he sounds pretty impressive." He'd never been the business sort, but the idea was admirable anyway. Chasing a dream, starting from nothing...

"Am a bit curious though, you've got a mix of accents going on there. Where are you all from? What brings you to Novelux?"
Koa nodded along with Andre. It wasn't a secret, considering all of Frontier Town had to know, "Yeah we're travelers, friends of Ghaspius. And I wanted to see the museum too." And he'd wanted to make sure Ghapius wasn't alone if he ran into trouble. After everything that had happened, it was better to travel in pairs, at the very least.

"You guys get a lot of news from out in Frontier Town?" Couldn't hurt at least to see what people had heard about them.

Last edited:
Dwebble stuffed the book back into the hat with a shrug. Or perhaps he was just making sure it stayed in place. "Suit yourself! You can find copies all over Novelux. Novelty Forged in Steel."

He turned towards the panel before answering, fiddling with the controls as he did so. "Did he now? Well, considering the museum's state right now... you sure you didn't get a letter informing you about it?"

"Not a doubt in mind," Ghaspius replied as he shook his head. "Checked my mail every day before we traveled out to make sure there weren't no updates. Even sent a reply saying I'd be here."

The Conductor rang the bell as he lifted his head a nudge. "Well, you did exactly what you should've." He seemed like he had more to say, but held his tongue for a moment before setting the trolley into gear. As it lurched, he spoke again. "Don't get as many from Frontier Town as Magna City, that's for sure. But I hear some group has been making a name for themselves. Wayfinders, I wanna say."

"Wayfarers!"

"Ah, that's the one."

The travel back was unremarkable, save for a bit of grandstanding gesturing towards the Silver Striped Bridge and its testament to Fermlein Steel's commitment to the city as they passed over it. Otherwise, the Dwebble seemed content to leave things as they were.

The trolley soon arrived back to the museum and came to a slow stop, and the Conductor tipped his hat. "Pleasure to meet you folks. Hoping that glimpse of the city gave you a bit of insight into how things operate around here. Feel free to stop on by in a few days and I'd be happy to give you a ride to the museum when it's finally open again!"

You may now request to visit the museum proper at any time — feel free to reach out to me if you'd like an NPC to provide a tour or accompaniment!

As Ghaspius floated off the train waving a pleasant goodbye to the old crab, he failed to notice the Scrafty approaching. The same one at the downtown stop, no less.

The Scrafty roughly bumped into the ghost, hissing, "Watch it, bud," before moving on as quickly as possible.

Ghaspius let out an indignant huff, but quickly shook it off. He failed to notice the folded piece of paper that now visibly sat in the brim of his hat.

The trolley soon arrived back to the museum and came to a slow stop, and the Conductor tipped his hat. "Pleasure to meet you folks. Hoping that glimpse of the city gave you a bit of insight into how things operate around here. Feel free to stop on by in a few days and I'd be happy to give you a ride to the museum when it's finally open again!"
"Thank you! It was very informative. Looking forward to next time!" Andre said, smiling warmly. He hopped off the train and produced a vine to wave goodbye.

As Ghaspius floated off the train waving a pleasant goodbye to the old crab, he failed to notice the Scrafty approaching. The same one at the downtown stop, no less.

The Scrafty roughly bumped into the ghost, hissing, "Watch it, bud," before moving on as quickly as possible.

Ghaspius let out an indignant huff, but quickly shook it off. He failed to notice the folded piece of paper that now visibly sat in the brim of his hat.

Andre was looking away when the bump happened, but turned around once the scrafty spoke. He frowned at the reptile's rudeness, but his expression shifted to intrigue when he noticed the paper in Ghaspius' hat.

"Hey, you got something on your hat," he pointed out, pointing with his still-extended vine. "Could it have been..." he looked after the scrafty, but he was already gone.

At Andre's remark, Ghaspius quickly searched his hat and unfolded it. His eyes squinted as he read the text aloud.

39 8 92  15 33 34 D.
T 74 8  74 EE 19 16  87 8 M  102 74:
10 X T  49 52 R 23 53 E 74  @  D 92 16 19
26 R M LE 49  16 52 E L

"What do y'all make of this?"

Last edited:
"Hey-" Koa stifled a growl of annoyance and for a moment, almost considered following the Scrafty. He was sure it was the same one from before who'd been watching them. He quickly dismissed the idea. Chasing some unknownmon in an unknown city was a terrible idea.

Instead he turned back to Ghaspius and eyed the paper curiously. "Sounds like a code..." he murmured thoughtfully. Not any he could think of that would make sense. "Maybe map coordinates or something?" He had never been the riddle sort, not exactly. And simply changing numbers for letters didn't seem like it would work here.

"The numbers have to mean something..." he said, thinking out loud.

Ghaspius hummed in thought. "Whenever I get stuck on an alchemy problem, I always go back to the formulas. Tryin' to break things down to an atomic level and all that." He scratched the top of his head. "But I guess this ain't really a formula, is it...?"

Andre was stumped looking at the code. It couldn't have been letter substitution if it went up to 102 - and he wasn't sure how that would work when everything was being translated for them anyway.

Ghaspius hummed in thought. "Whenever I get stuck on an alchemy problem, I always go back to the formulas. Tryin' to break things down to an atomic level and all that." He scratched the top of his head. "But I guess this ain't really a formula, is it...?"

A figurative lightbulb lit up above Andre's head. "Wait, atomic? Could it be... atomic numbers?"

If the glowing gemstones on his forehead were any indicator, Ghaspius's own figurative lightbulb manifested into something physical as Andre spoke. He muttered to himself as he combed over the letter a few times, occasionally, making a slip-up before finally reading:

"You passed. Two weeks from now: next interview @ dusk. Fremlein Steel." A designated time and place, and a strange level of secrecy.

There was only one thing on his mind as he blinked. "Wait, there was a first interview?"

Atomic numbers! That made sense. Not that he really remembered his worlds. Or that it would have been the same. Ghapius seemed to know his quite well though, and managed to translate the message. At hearing that he passed, Koa couldn't help but grin a little, glad for Ghapius.

Koa almost missed what Ghapius said next, his mind distracted by mulling over the implications. How much knowledge of something like that did people from Forlas have? Did that mean whoever left the message was from a human world as well?

At the sound of Ghapius voice he blinked and snapped back to attention. "Could the Dwebble have been interviewing us?" he murmured,
brow furrowing. "Didn't he say something about... Fermlein paying for tours?" Why all the secrecy?

"Well... this is all very strange," Andre said, "but I'm happy for you, Ghaspius!" He would have pat him on the back, but he didn't know if Ghaspius really liked to be touched. He tried to show a thumbs-up instead, but remembered that he had hooves. Face heating up, he lowered his hoof and hoped that no one had noticed.

With nothing but questions left on their minds, the group drifted through the streets of Novelux as the crowds filled in the empty spaces they left in their wake. A few days later, the museum opened with seemingly no fanfare, and the trolley was once again brimming with tourists. Though it seemed the Conductor had changed shells to a much more brighter top hat.

<><><><>​

Back
Top Bottom