• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Sojaveña Wilds Totally Normal Bulletin Board

"Well, sure," Ridley said doubtfully. "It's always useful to have a second opinion, though. I'm pretty sure making friends is more about establishing common ground and finding people you can rely on than anything else. How much experience does your board owner guy have with RKS chimeras?"

He couldn't resist, and added, "What even are chimeras - graydians, whichever - in your world, anyway? In mine they're a failed experiment which some rich asshole in my region decided to replicate based on stolen blueprints, but in yours you seem like... more than that?"

"I was the lone autonomous leader of a squadron of mass-produced type: fulls with no will of their own," Nova responded flatly. "Our responsibility was to 'keep the peace' within Eternatus. So, when trainers or pokémon would threaten that peace... we would dispose of them."

He clicked his tongue. "But it wore on me. More and more. Until I decided that... I wasn't fighting for peace. And I destroyed my master ball and built up a small resistance to take out my creator."

Ridley noted that Nova hadn't answered the question of what the board owner knew about RKS chimeras. Maybe he didn't know, or maybe he was just so desperate for an escape from the helmet that any possibility seemed worthwhile.

Also: within Eternatus? "My world has an Eternatus too," Ridley said. "It was probably a pokemon or some kind of entity, though, not a... place?" No clear footage of the event was available, unfortunately, and eyewitness accounts were muddled. "Although it probably would have caused an apocalyptic event if the guy trying to summon it had succeeded."

And Macro Cosmos had created their own RKS chimeras too. Ridley wondered whether there was a link there, whether that second Darkest Day was his world's version of an event which had shaped Nova's. "It's funny how there are so many parallels between worlds," he mused, almost to himself. "Even though our worlds are all so different, certain concepts seem to come up again and again."

He added, "I can understand why you wouldn't be too eager to go back to your own world, after all that." Nova's backstory sounded like it belonged in an overdramatic dark anime or something, a thought Ridley was for once smart enough to keep to himself.

Nova blinked a few times. "If there are so many parallels, then you must be Galarian," he said. "Cuz some of the stuff you're saying is similar to Laura." The null shrugged. If Ridley was human, he probably knew that already. "Eternatus is my home world. Nearly all life exists inside of it. Including Earth."

He slowly turned around. "That's all, really. Whatever happens here... not even sure any of us will remember it if we get sent back home, anyway. Some temporary quiet's... good enough for me, I suppose." Nova adjusted his bag. "Now, I've got some work to tend to. I should be going."

Huh. Ridley had known Laura was Galarian - her Chirchester accent made it obvious enough - but he hadn't realised her world had a parallel Eternatus incident to his own. Maybe he'd ask her about it the next time he ran into her.

Ridley shrugged. "If I lose my memories when I go back, then the me who exists here and now will functionally cease to exist. It's like death in that way, right? From a certain perspective, we'll be spending the rest of our lives in this world. I think embracing it as much as you can is the best possible philosophy under these circumstances." He added, "Sure, I won't keep you. Good luck with getting your mask off. If there's ever a way I can help out with that, let me know and I'll try my best."

<><><><><>

[Ch04] ~ Strange Dog Meets Slightly Bigger Egg
It might have been starting to get darker, but that didn't stop Grace from approaching the bulletin board. She'd marvelled at the way the setting sun cast the splashes of orange that met the darkening blues of the sky on the way here. She didn't mind being a bit of a night owl, and even then it still didn't feel late.

The togetic liked checking out the board, because the scouting missions were a good way to make money, and increased her chances of seeing Owen again. Maybe even Purple, or someone else!

Why was she trying to seek out Owen after he mauled her? Well... she wanted to help him. She was stronger now, so hopefully she now stood a slight chance. If any of her friends were here instead, Ben and Neva would want to help Owen. Maya would probably be much better at scouting, and Typhon... he'd probably have a more violent approach. Grace disapproved of his violence, but... Typhon was a Dragon. Maybe it was typist to assume he wouldn't take a more logical approach... but that's what she thought he'd do.

And also maybe, she'd encounter that Wandering Light. If she could just learn to wield Radiance... would that help those that were Shadowed? She had to find out.

And so, while Togetic Grace mused to herself while she examined the board, she was unaware to her surroundings, and anyone else that might show up.

Contrary to Mhynt's belief, afternoon training did not, in fact, break Nova's mask. It certainly made him aware that it wasn't quite the same as before. Hell, warm air hit fur he forgot he had for the longest time by the end of it. But the back portion was still attached enough to where the thing was staying together. And simply pulling it off didn't work. Almost like some unseen force mandated the thing come apart entirely.

Nova was far too tired to grapple with whatever mystical black-and-white factors were at play. He'd lumbered his way back toward the board's settlement from Mew's drop off point.

He was shuffling past the board when he stopped. And took a step back.

Did the board always have an egg there? Was someone tasked with guarding it?

... No, wait. Egg was flying. Togetic, then.

"You looking for something?" Nova said.

Grace jumped.

Like, literally jumped.

The togetic leaped into the air, wings flapping in a panic as her literal fight or flight instincts kicked in.

"Uwah!" she yelped, quickly looking for the threat. When there didn't seem to be any, and her eyes fell on the source of the voice, Grace settled down. They'd spoken to her... right? They looked familiar... At least, Grace thought that whatever species this was, they were definitely a Wayfarer.

"Uhm, nothing specific-- Sorry! Did you want to look as well?" she asked while flustered. "I, um, I was in my own world there, haha..."

"No. I'm turning in for the day," Nova said. He shook dust and sand off his pelt. "Though, if you're lost in though, maybe you should come back tomorrow. I'm sure there'll be new stuff around."

"Erm... maybe, but I still wanted to look..." Grace said, as she slowly landed back on the ground, tapping her paw against her chin. "Weee haven't officially met yet, have we?" she asked. "I'm Grace... But I'll admit, I don't think I'm hugely familiar with your species...?"

Was that offensive? She certainly hoped it wasn't.

"Nova." His dirty pelt was itchy, so he ended up scratching at what he could reach with a hind leg. "Don't really... have an official species name here. Pulled 'graydien' out of my ass and it's sorta stuck for some reason."

Though did that apply still if Nova managed to break the helmet? Hmm, that'd be a bridge he'd have to burn at a later date.

"Oh..." said Grace, as she flapped her wings. She did a loop around Nova, humming to herself. "Interesting... I think you look pretty cool! Nice to meet you, Nova!"

The fluttering made that weird itch in the back of Nova's head subside a bit. Then again, togetic and togekiss had that sort of naturally soothing aura about them, right?

"Nice to meet you." Nova bobbed his head. The helmet shifted it a bit. "You're, uh, definitely the first to say that."

"Really? That sucks..." she mumured. "Are they scared of you...? You don't seem scary..."

There were scarier things out there, and Nova was very low on the list. "Your helmet-mask thing... is it broken?"

"Yeah. I’m trying to break it." Nova shook his head. It jostled the mask, but didn’t break it any further. In a flat voice he added, "It breaks from friendship."

Grace blinked a few times. "Friendship? I didn't know it was such a powerful force that could break a mask here!" she exclaimed. "Well, um, you've got friends here, don't you?"

She tapped her chin again. "I remember seeing you in that weird dream with Powehi. What about that Treeko you were with?"

"I don't know if she's the type for friends," Nova replied. He considered her one, but also knew she was private enough to where maybe she wouldn't want him saying that. "And beyond that... I don't know. Leaf's nice to me. But I was alone for a long time before coming here. You live in the wild long enough and it's... hard to readjust."

The null glanced vaguely in the direction of town despite not being able to see it.

She followed his gaze, and frowned slightly. "Well... won't it be harder to make friends if you stick to your habits and live away from everyone...?" Grace asked, sounding concerned.

"I tried living in the Haus," Nova said, looking down guiltily. "It was like I couldn't breath in there." He leaned over to scratch at the mask with his claws. "It's hard to explain. I need open skies overhead. I get antsy if I'm indoors more than an hour or two tops."

"Huh... then what about sleeping on the roof?" she suggested. "Or if it's not good enough, maybe we can build something that will help you sleep closer and still see the stars!"

Grace flew closer to his head, putting her paw on his helmet. "Does it hurt...?"

Back
Top Bottom