• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Sojaveña Wilds Totally Normal Bulletin Board

“Shit…”

Gladion took a moment to breathe and regain his composure. He was shaking.

“Still… I can at least say that guy’s not me? I couldn’t do that if I tried. Only know about bio, and even the. I’m never expecting to be at my Dad’s level. And… wait… They must have been designed by someone else before that the evil guy’s in a long line of them? Hm. That feels weird to me but I suppose there’s no reasons that can’t be… Guess that could simplify how they got here?”

"I know he's not you." Nova shrugged. "My creator came up with my design. Based on..." His voice trailed off. His eyes look a bit lifeless.

"Something she called 'myths and legends of the Old World,'" he mumbled. "I didn't really come to understand what that meant until I fought against her."

Under the mask, there was a somber smile Gladion would never see. Nova was subconsciously tracing a claw through the dirt. Drawing a clearly human face with a hairstyle not too far removed from the crests their masks bound. "And by then... it was too late for me. For the world, really."

It was odd to see even a facsimile of a human face here, like some kind of breaking of the fourth wall, an acknowledgment of a thing that should not be here. And it clearly wasn’t Lusamine.

“How disconcerting. That’s not how the design emerged here, though it was an inspiration for the RKS system. Everything else being the same is odd, though. Like these kinds of living weapon designs eventually converge upon Nulls— or, Type: Fulls, I guess, as if it’s some kind some kind of dysfunctional carcinization.”

"I wouldn't call it that," Nova said. Though it certainly sounded elegant. "It's more like... all our worlds have connections to one another. Some kind of resonance. Even if it's faint."

He glanced over his shoulder and, in a more hushed tone, whispered, "Like this mewtwo. The way he behaved... was dead wringer for someone my ex knew back home."

Resonance, huh? I’ll have to take your word for it. And—” He hadn’t had Nova down as a romantic, but in retrospect honestly maybe it shouldn’t surprise him. Fit some of his behaviour if not the general gloomy attitude. “—I guess Mewtwo in general is another commonality. But… his personality? Is it particularly distinct? Another Mewtwo? Must be something that makes it stand out…”

"My ex is the mewtwo of my world," Nova said. "And the way this mewtwo acts... is identical to his old boss: Giovanni, the leader of Team Rocket." He brushed his claws over his other drawing to scrawl a single R in the dirt. "I don't think it's just Forlas screwing with my head, either."

Gladion’s eyes widened. “Oh. I’ve heard of him. I got the impression this Mewtwo was human, as was the Mew. And if that’s true it could very likely be Giovanni, which would be… bad. You probably don’t need me to tell you that, really. No wonder he was creepy about the whole power and manipulation thing.”

Gladion was glad he hadn’t agreed to work with the duo. “So… Uhh… Good luck dealing with them. I’m sure you can handle it, though.”

"It's weird seeing one in the flesh." Nova rubbed the R out. "My world's Gio flew too close to the sun and bit the big one for it."

“Sounds a lot like the guy. Don’t go hunting for Mew genes without some hubris in you. Good luck.”

He was feeling more comfortable with Nova now. He seemed like a neat guy, all things considered.

<><><><><>​

Last edited:
[Ch03]: A Cat fell in Nova's Training Montage With Mewtwo
Felin walked the sun beaten path of the town outskirts in the early hours of noon. The bustle of like-minded explorers going about their day greeted her ears. She inhaled the familiar air of the small guild of tents. Her goal, the bulletin board. What better way to celebrate her return than to immediately go on another adventure?

Felin stopped suddenly, nose twitching as she sniffed once then twice. The smell of tents and treasure bags weren't the only things familiar. She drew her eyes to slits and turned sharply to the left. Sure enough, there he was. How could she forget one of the only two chimera among them?

"Well look who it is!" Felin greeted with a trill, flashing a wide grin as she padded towards him. Her rapier jostled on her back and looked no less too big for her current self. "I hope the past few weeks have treated you nice, Nova. Anything new with you?"

Nova jolted from his position loafing on the ground. His prickly fur managed to straighten itself out. He didn't rise from the ground, knowing full well his mismatched black and white fur was caked in dirt.

"Huh?" Nova hesitated to say anything else. He hadn't even brought up what had been discovered to anyone. Nova wasn't sure he was meant to divulge anything. "I, uh, need to learn about the power of friendship," he mumbled. It was correct. Vague, but correct.

"You sure sound like you do, otherwise you wouldn't be out here all by yourself," Felin joked in response. "So, that all you've been doing since I was gone? Come now, there's got to be more."

"I'm waiting. For friendship training." God, that sounded dumb.

"It's apparently how I can break my mask," Nova said. He shook his head, jostling the helmet. "Sick of this thing. Need to be rid of it."

Felin brushed her chin with a paw, drawing nearer to inspect the helmet. "I can get behind that. The mask does look suffocating. I suppose having friends to pry it off your head will be one way to free yourself from it..."

She took a step back, swung her paw back and unsheathed her rapier. Sunlight glinted off the well polished blade as she smiled. "What say you iiiiiiiii try to pop it right off you, like taking the lid off a can." She looked surprisingly earnest as she said that. "I promise I'll be gentle."

Nova stared blankly. Then he slowly reached a foreleg out... and flicked the rapier, which wobbled like one of those rubber novelty swords that would show up in cartoons. "I'm pretty sure the mask is immune to pinpricks."

"Ah, well." Felin slipped the rapier back in its sheathe and half shrugged. "Offer stays on the table. Let me know when you're up for it."

Okay, perfect. Nova could pivot and avoid divulging anything to do with the mew. "And you?" He raised a brow beneath the mask. "A bunch of stuff happened. Lots of people exploring. Where'd you go off to that you'd miss al that?"

Felin's eyes lit up as though she'd been waiting for him to ask just that. Now the opportunity presented itself. She placed her rapier, Weakpoint, beside her and folded her paws beneath herself as she sat.

"I was off in Obstine Abbey for a job," she said, tilting her head at Nova. "Have you heard of the place?"

Nova slowly shook his head. An abbey sure sounded snooty enough, though. It had to be somewhere in the frontier, though. How else would she have gotten there? "I really haven't looked at any settlements past Blaguarro."

It was just then, at a triangular hiding spot near the bulletin board, that Mew appeared as he always did, shortly after the Bulletin Board had its routine swapping of supplies. Nova would know to walk and talk to get there with Felin, and the Mew was waiting for them, this time wearing his red cap so he wouldn't be mistaken for another Mew. Just in case, probably.

Back
Top Bottom