• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

What is your idea of the perfect Pokemon Game?

I don't think i'd want a fully open world pokémon game for every generation. i'll get criticism for it, but i totally like the train tracks sorta style... however open world would be a cool experiment.

Well, I mean, there's definitely an opportunity for a middle ground. You can have side-areas, subplots, hidden secrets etc. without necessarily going full Breath of the Wild.

Until Sword and Shield came out I shared your preference for 2D. The aesthetic of the Sevii Islands was my favourite. I had reservations about what the early DS games looked like, and then I didn't play the later ones. But I feel that with SwSh the charm of the environments has finally matched the old games.
Same hat! I really didn't like the 3D in the 3DS games, although I thought ORAS got close to matching old Hoenn. In the Alola games in particular I felt like the colors were really washed out and the environments bland, which is especially bad for a region based on Hawaii. In SwSh, though, I feel like the colors are finally vibrant enough and the environments detailed/interesting enough to match what was done with the sprite art. There are some Galar locations that are really pretty!

But, personally, I wouldn't be sad about the release of another 2D mainline game, either!

But, personally, I wouldn't be sad about the release of another 2D mainline game, either!
Yeah. Neither would I, and these days they could probably make a 2D world amazingly elaborate.

OK i feel like i need to be very in depth here.

Things I want to keep
  • Gym battles with all sorts of people cheering. It's awesome. I'd be fine if they toned it down just a bit though.
  • The thing that lets you Share XP. It doesn't make it really any easier it just means you don't have to grind. (I hacked my White 2 so that i got some sort of XP share).
  • Mega Evolutions. And preferably Dynamaxing. No thought on Z moves
  • Secret Bases, only they should be way bigger, and you can put a lot of stuff in them... and they're way harder to find. They should also have dolls for every first stage pokemon that is cute and small-ish (You know, like frillish not, say... Dhelmise because he doesn't evolve) Why? Because i want a frillish doll god damn it.
  • The WORLD TOURNAMENT. Omg that was the best. What would be really cool, would be if you could import your previous save files and then you could fight your previous teams in the world tournament.
  • Dexnav.
  • Shiny Chaining/Battle number increasing your chance of shiny/Shiny charm/stuff with shinies idk
  • Online battling, and Tournaments.
  • Pokémon Camp & Pokémon Refresh combined. Because i never did get a chance to pet my sobble/charmander/joltik/mew and i wanted to pet them all
  • Also you should be able to make curry, but you could also maybe take it to go... and it heals your pokémon.
  • I also like the idea, that instead of just one pokémon at a time you can see your whole team.
  • The National Dex, to some extent... However... i would not want people to be able to obtain pokemon that aren't in the regional dex without transfering, which i might want you not to be able to transfer foreign pokémon until you beat the game :devilish: (the reason being: I'm very annoyed when people have entire teams of pokémon that aren't in the dex, so in all honesty i was a little bit relieved when the national dex was removed from sword and shield. I would kinda like it back now though...)
  • Max Raid battles, or just raid battles. Or something like that.
  • All the birthday stuff from sword and shield. That would be pretty awesome.
  • DLC
  • Following pokémon. But it would be cool if the pokémon you would normally ride on would be ridden like normal but then pokémon you don't ride on could follow you.
  • Secret techniques is, and will always be the best way to get around HMs. However, maybe make them a bit less... uhh... cheesy/narmy/weird
  • Awesome music
  • Being able to host tournaments.
New/Unused Features
  • Difficulty that you can change. Easy/Medium/Hard/Very Hard (I'd pick very hard)
  • The Story Climax, Showdown with the Evil Team, and Battle against the legendary happen shortly after you beat the champion, but not quite post game because the credits don't start yet.
  • I also think it would be cool if the legendary is like REALLY high level, at least on the hardest setting, and that you don't get to catch the legendary until it's completely knocked out. Actually something like Eternamax would be awesome. that really was a 10/10 legendary fight.
  • More focus on the story.
  • Maybe one or two gyms could be fought out of order.
  • The levels your pokémon are at by the time you challenge the champion should be at an 80.
  • And then the levels when there are like title defense thingies like in sun and moon would end up being 80-100
  • Also it would be cool if you could just beat teams who are gradually harder and harder until the final title defense person would have pokémon at lvl 100.
  • It would also be cool to rematch gym leaders at their own gyms.

More later i can't think of anything else

Maybe this could be harder to implement, but a feature similar to nintendogs where you can train your Pokémon like in the anime would be really cool. Maybe not make it mandatory if people don't want to spend time doing that, but give some kind of reward for people who do want to use the feature.

Also, having Pokémon follow you was neat.

Maybe this could be harder to implement, but a feature similar to nintendogs where you can train your Pokémon like in the anime would be really cool. Maybe not make it mandatory if people don't want to spend time doing that, but give some kind of reward for people who do want to use the feature.

Ohh yeah i don't quite know what you mean by this as i never played nintendogs but i think if you mean what i think you mean, than a bunch of mini-games to train your pokémon would be cool.

• Love
Reactions: Ys_
^^ nintendogs was a game where you could interact with the dogs with the stylus. I think Pokémon had that with Pokémon amie. But taking it a step farther, like say you could throw a Frisbee to boost its accuracy and /or help teaching it a new move. But bouncing off your idea with mini games that can work for boosting the Pokemon's stats! I'd guess it could work for EV training. What sort of mini games did you have in mind?

Maybe a race to boost speed, a punching bag thing to boost attack, defense is boosted by some kind of tower defense game, spAtk some sort of spell casting ish game, spD i have no idea, and HP could be like, making curry and eating it or something.

Reactions: Ys_
It could be kind of cool to have certain moves (egg moves?) only unlockable through throwing a frisbee or something. That would make competitive players (such as me) really feel rewarded by it.

I have not played swsh to see really see what the buzz is with 3D finally working for Pokémon, but myself I do sometimes think it'd be great if the franchise went back to 2D, less as an improvement and more as a matter of the fact that this franchise was born and raised in 2D, and while I'm not saying you can't teach old dogs new tricks, a lot of things just aren't translating all that great to 3D

I agree with a lot of what previous posters said about difficulty/depth/non-linearity/follow Pokemon/new areas/etc/etc/etc/etc but what I really want in a Pokemon game...

Less polish. I fell in love with the Pokemon games when they were 2D pixel games, low on detail and high on glitches. There were places you wanted to use a walk-through-walls cheat just so you could see exactly what was that strange collection of tiles just beyond your walkable area, and I loved the rumors and legends that sprouted from this (the grass beyond Pallet Town, the path behind Bill's house). I loved finding things that no one told you to find - no one tells you to explore Cerulean Cave or get to the bottom of the Whirl Islands or go back to the Tin Tower (at least, I don't think), and it makes it all the more rewarding to be surprised with a legendary Pokemon at the end of it. I want more lore that you have to fill in the blanks on because there isn't enough text space to spell out the full story.

I also want less happy-go-lucky attitude all. the. time. I miss that feeling of determination to beat someone because they're really tough and not holding back. I want an actual rival that creates conflict with your character.

It'd be great to have less hand-holding and artificial means of blocking a path - I wish there was more "you can't go here yet because you need surf/cut/etc" where you have to figure out yourself what you need to do to clear it, and less of people artificially standing in your way saying "wait don't come through here! My Herdier is blocking off the entire 30ft route because he's looking for berries!"

This may have been a slight rant. I'm just really passionate about my neutral-tone, code-showing-through-the-surface old school Pokemon games :O

Oh also, I want the VS seeker.
and yeah, I wouldn't put it as "I want more glitches", but I agree with a great deal of this; it would indeed be fantastic if every location wasn't marked by being the obvious next step forward and having ten billion NPCs ready to ambush you and explain everything about it,

I also think it would be cool if the legendary is like REALLY high level, at least on the hardest setting, and that you don't get to catch the legendary until it's completely knocked out. Actually something like Eternamax would be awesome. that really was a 10/10 legendary fight.
ech, Ultra Necrozma did this and it was ass-

in fact, I feel like it'd be great if Pokémon could find ways to challenge players without them, ah, being abrupt level spikes and sweeper movesets,

Every convenient feature(instant access Pokémon storage, Bag divisions, Mart in the Pokémon Center…) included, following Pokémon, adjustable difficulty levels, no HMs, infinite use TMs, no TRs, a compelling post game, and a challenging Pokémon League.

Back
Top Bottom