• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Your ideal Boss Battle

okay my ideal final boss battle

1: is accompanied by a rockin' soundtrack, but this is a given
2: is long and the boss transforms a lot and stuff
3: is fought in an epic location like on top of the statue of liberty or in an exploding space station hurtling through the atmosphere or something
4: is hard but not too hard (I can beat it on my fifth or sixth try)
5: prior to the battle, your character gets a massive boost in power/goes super saiyan, making it so that during the battle you get to glow and fly around and all
6: is not beaten using any stupid strategy like the bosses in the zelda games are. (ESPECIALLY NOT THE VOLLEYBALL STRATEGY. I hate that.)
I can't help but be reminded of the Biolizard/Finalhazard here. o.o

Me, I don't really know. Many of the above, probably. Epic in every way, kickass soundtrack, good boss design, fun and challenging (but not stupidly unfair)... and good presentation generally. The game should make you feel that it's a special fight. Atmosphere, y'know? That goes for during the boss fight, before it, and after it.

But I find it tricky to come up with examples of awesome bosses on the spot, and the ones I think of don't necessarily adhere to all the above points...

Portal's boss was fun. The quotes are just beautiful, the method is interesting, and the surrounding circumstances make it mean something.

I'm also a fairly fond of the bosses in Phantasy Star Eps. I & II (which is a good thing, because that game has so few different levels that you inevitably face them a lot, especially the early ones). Fairly nice-looking, great (usually somewhat ominous and sinister) atmosphere, wonderful and memorable soundtracks.

And this is where my brain ceases to work and demands sleep... @_@

Portal's boss was fun. The quotes are just beautiful, the method is interesting, and the surrounding circumstances make it mean something.

Yes, fighting GLaDOS was hilariously enlightening. We need more bosses that keep making fun of you in that sort of manner. And the little pieces that fell off of her were funny as well.

And this thread reminded me of how long it's been since I've played a game with... an actual boss battle. O_O

I can't help but be reminded of the Biolizard/Finalhazard here. o.o
hah, yeah, I was kind of thinking of that boss battle when I wrote it. thing is, that battle is ridiculously easy, so before you know it it's over and you're like "wtf that was the whole game?"

then biolizard was really hard for me, but it wasn't really that much fun or even that epic. so if they had made finalhazard as hard as biolizard was, then... well, it would have been awesome.

ETA: also, the OPPOSITE of a good boss battle is the final boss battle in Super Mario Sunshine. what a disappointment. :(

Back
Top Bottom