• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

ASB Awards 2010

Negrek

busy dizzy lazy
Staff member
The event hall in ASB Central, dark and quiet for most of the year, is all aglow tonight, drawing trainers to its doors like so many moths. Inside, newbies and veterans alike mingle and enjoy the copious amounts of food trucked out to celebrate the league's fifth birthday, as well as a chance to get up close to the greatest trainers in Asber. As the night wears on, it at last comes time to announce the winners of this year's ASB awards, and the chatter dies down entirely as the head referee mounts the stage, envelope in hand and prepared to announce this year's venerable recipients...

ASB Awards 2010

I knew I was forgetting about something for the past week... or two. Anyway, it's that time of year again: with the league's birthday approaching in October, we need to get this year's awards sorted out in time for the festivities. If you're just tuning in now, the ASB awards are a once-yearly event to honor ASB's trainers and referees. Unless stated otherwise, anyone in the league is eligible for an award, so take a moment to give a shout-out to anyone in the league you think is particularly awesome. The awards take place in three stages:

1. Discussion of categories: now through September 17th. Most categories from last year return, although I pruned one or two that didn't get much interest. Feel free to suggest any new ones you think might be appropriate. Please no negative categories (e.g. "Worst Battler"), though.

2. Nominations: run from the 18th through the 25th. PM your nominations for as many different categories as you like to me.

3. Voting: takes place from September 26th to October 3rd. Voting is carried out by PM.

The results will be announced on the league's fifth birthday, which is October 4th.

Awards

ASBer of the Year
Prize: $100, three rare candies, any buyable pokémon of the winner's choice
Other: Kratos Aurion, Negrek and Music Dragon are not eligible

Big Red Cherry Bomb
Blastoise
Mike the Foxhog
ole_schooler
Zora of Termina

Best Battler
Prize: $80, two rare candies, any buyable pokémon of the winner's choice

Big Red Cherry Bomb
Blastoise
blazheirio889
Crazy Linoone

Involuntary Twitch
Kusarigamaitachi

Best Referee
Prize: $80, two rare candies, any buyable pokémon of the winner's choice

Big Red Cherry Bomb
Blastoise
blazheirio889
Byrus
Chiropter
Kratos Aurion
Kusarigamaitachi
L'il Dwagie
Metallica Fanboy
Mike the Foxhog
Shadow Serenity

Best New ASBer
Prize: $75 and two rare candies
Other: Eligible players are those who joined for the first time since October 4th 2009

Barubu
Mawile
NegativeVibe
ole_schooler
RespectTheBlade

Best Battle
Prize: $40 and a rare candy for all participants

Alraune vs Big Red Cherry Bomb
Blastoise vs Crazy Linoone
Kam vs RandomTyphoon
Negrek vs Kratos Aurion

Most Improved Battler
Prize: $30 and a rare candy

blazheirio889
Kammington
L'il Dwagie
RandomTyphoon

Most Entertaining Battle
Prize: $25 to all participants

Blastoise vs Zora of Termina
Crazy Linoone vs Kratos Aurion
Mike the Foxhog vs Crazy Linoone
Zora of Termina vs L'il Dwagie I
Zora of Termina vs L'il Dwagie II
Zora of Termina vs L'il Dwagie III

Most Helpful ASBer
Prize: $25

Alraune
Big Red Cherry Bomb
moon-panther
Kratos Aurion
Shadow Serenity

Best Arena
Prize: $25 to the creator of the arena

2fort by Zora of Termina
A Hearty Bowl of Offal Soup by Crazy Linoone
Dusky Bridge by Mike the Foxhog
Field with a Magikarp by Kammington
Jello Square of Gigantism by Blastoise

Sketchpad by L'il Dwagie
Some Dive in Lower Manhattan by L'il Dwagie

Best Signature Move
Prize: $25 to the creator of the move

Ceci N'est Pas Une Queulorior
Coupon Distribution
Download Freeware
Feline Territorial Marking
Huababa-Barrage
Prehistoric Banter
Psychedelic Smog

Best Signature Attribute
Prize: $25 to the creator of the attribute

Funky Eyegear
Uwitting Royalty

Best Fakemon
Prize: $25 to the creator of the fake

Dragomelet line by Mike the Foxhog
Kitora line by Zora of Termina
Sabitten line by L'il Dwagie
Skelitten line by Big Red Cherry Bomb
Wyrmal line by Kratos Aurion

Best Nickname
Prize: $15 to the creator of the nickname

GLaDOS the porygon-z (Big Red Cherry Bomb)
Dexterous the aerodactyl (Metallica Fanboy)
Gastrointestinal Distress the gulpin (Kratos Aurion)
Pancake the skelitten (St. Christopher)
Rock Lobsta the relicanth (L'il Dwagie)
Sancho Panza the Lucario (Kratos Aurion)
Splitscreen the doduo (Walker)
The Grouch the Trash Wormadam (L'il Dwagie)

Last edited:
Are we allowed to nominate ourself? I won't do something crazy like me for every category. I know some categories I could nominate several for.

Might I suggest a best fakemon award?
Will add.

Are we allowed to nominate ourself? I won't do something crazy like me for every category. I know some categories I could nominate several for.
When nominations open, you won't be able to nominate yourself, no. Bribe a friend.

You can nominate more than one person per category, though.

Eh, nominations aren't open yet.

Also, I thought maybe of a best single reffing award, but it would be difficult to pick nominations for that one, wouldn't it?
We've had a best single reffing award in the past, with somewhat mixed results. If people are interested in seeing it back, I have no problem adding it.

Could there be a 'Best Team Award'?
Hmm, I'm not really sure how this would work. I mean, some people have way more pokémon than others, so wouldn't they kind of automatically have the best teams? Without a limit on how large squads can be, there's nothing to stop anybody from just grabbing a bunch of cool pokémon, so teams don't tend to be as distinguishable from one another as they would be if you had limits. I guess what I'm asking is, what kind of criteria would you be using to determine the "best team?"

I was thinking of basing it upon things like nicknames and signature attributes/moves, and award the person who had the best overall creative-ness.

I was thinking of basing it upon things like nicknames and signature attributes/moves, and award the person who had the best overall creative-ness.
Hmm, well, we already have awards for those first two... I don't know, it just strikes me as a kind of vague category.

How about the Best Shop Award?

Okay yeah going back to my ASB grave now.

NO WAIT. Best Contest Appeal.
The only problem I have with those two ideas is that there haven't been many shops or contest appeals made since last year.

Maybe something like "most entertaining battle?" It seems like it would cover the metronome thing pretty well.

Well 'Best' nickname/sig move/etc. could be a toss-up of different people's opinions.

Would 'Best' new battler be the one with the best record? If so... I have 2 wins out of 3. Yayness. ((ssh that one didn't even have a round, and the other was a forfeit))

Would 'Best' new battler be the one with the best record? If so... I have 2 wins out of 3. Yayness. ((ssh that one didn't even have a round, and the other was a forfeit))
If that was it then newer battlers wouldn't stand a chance.

It's more than anything a matter of personal opinion, as far as I'm concerned.

Well 'Best' nickname/sig move/etc. could be a toss-up of different people's opinions.
That's all you're going to get if you're doing a straight open-to-anyone majority-rules award program like this one.

Best battler is for the person most skilled at battling, not necessarily the person with the best record. (A good trainer who battles other good trainer and loses now and again is still a better battler than a mediocre trainer who only battles bad trainers and always wins.)

Incidentally, would 'Best Fakemon' only count things that have been officially approved and are thus available for purchase, or would it count anything that's been declared 'passable' (that is to say, my ones)?

I'm wondering what the criteria is for the "Best New ASBer" award. Is it solely opinion based, or does it have to do with battling/skill/active-ness,etc?

Back
Top Bottom