• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Racism & Other Prejudices

Responding to the OP--

Would you be okay with me saying nigger if I were black?

This, I think, is a subject worth debating.

I think it's an argument between pejorative reclamation (which has been practiced by pretty much every minority ever) and the effects that the pejorative has on the minority. I also think there's a question of context. When two teenagers (black or otherwise) are using "nigga" in a friendly context between them, one can hardly say that they're harboring racial hatred for black people; but at the same time, they're using a word that's been used for hundreds of years to marginalize a racial minority.

So yeah, a good subject for debate.

I think reclaimed pejorative terms *can* be used by the people who are oppressed by them, and *can't* be used by the oppressors because it just continues the negative connotations, however, I *won't* be using pejorative terms used against the groups I am because I don't really want to encourage a "But you people use the term, so it must be O.K.!" derailing technique.

I think reclaimed pejorative terms *can* be used by the people who are oppressed by them, and *can't* be used by the oppressors because it just continues the negative connotations, however, I *won't* be using pejorative terms used against the groups I am because I don't really want to encourage a "But you people use the term, so it must be O.K.!" derailing technique.

no, i doubt it. the word: inherently meaningless. it becomes meaningful after people use it with a certain intention in mind. conclusion: the word doesn't continue negative connotations, people do.

in other words, get rid of racists, not vocabulary.

also, i don't really understand what you're saying in that last sentence.

I'm with Oprah Winfrey on this. She hates the word nigger and thinks it should never be used by anyone. Want to know why? So many black people were shot, hanged, stoned, and more while hearing this word shouted. "Nigger" could have been the last word they heard before they died. To just use that word repeatedly in a good or bad manner disgraces the lives of those people. It makes their entire lives seem pointless.

"Jew" could also have been the last word somebody heard before they died; does that make the word and any variations thereof inappropriate to use?

No, because the word Jew couldn't be seen as derogatory in the way nigger could.

?

it has just as much of a history as 'nigger' does, not to mention that with the intention one can 'make' ANY word derogatory.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom