• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

[OR/AS] ORAS Progress

I've finally managed to beat the E4 a second time. Comparing it to the first time, it was much easier. I pretty much one-shotted everything Sidney, Pheobe, Drake, and even Steven had. Glacia gave me trouble because my team can't exactly counter Ice types; my only Fire type move is Fire Fang (on a Mightyena and a Salamence), and there's also Rock Slide (on a Swampert who is vulnerable to Freeze Dry).

Now that the E4 have been downed twice, I'm taking on the Monotype E4 challenge. Basically, I'm gonna take on the E4 with a team of each of the 18 types. I've allowed myself only one Legendary per team, and each Pokémon can be on each team twice, not counting my storyline team.The training is going to be intense, but it's worth it since I'm going to handle a bunch of different types I'm not used to.

So I haven't got very far in the game yet, Smash Bros. and Project Diva F2 has been taking up too much of my time... But got to Lilycove the other day. I also got the Eon Ticket already despite it not being officially distributed in my country yet, so that's something :D

I've also had fun giving my Pokémon silly nicknames this time around.

My team so far - might change as I get further:
Sceptile♂ (Leaf Slicer)
Altaria♀(Cloud Save)
Delcatty♂ (CATS)
Swalot♂ (Eggplant)
Camerupt♀ (Volcanoes)
Cosplay Pikachu(in "Cool" costume)♀ (Zappe)

Will probably switch out Pokémon as game goes on (definitely switching Cosplay Pikachu)

Other notable nicknames: Iwata the Tropius (because bananas), Flying Truck the Swellow (ehehe, some Getting Crap Past the Radar here), Zaptooth the Thunder Fang Mightyena, Zanhammer the Zangoose (from one of my nicknames), Citrus the Electrike, Hayato the Minun - also want to catch a Plusle called Ryuuta but haven't found one yet (Ouendan references)

Secret Bases are super fun and I'm so happy to see them again :D Streetpass is perfect for Secret Bases too.

Last edited:
I caught a freaking shiny MAGIKARP, most pathetic waste of a shiny ever, but I was like oh well at least shiny Gyarados should be kickass!! So I went and evolved that shit and was so excited for my special shiny sea dragon and as the white light faded the realization dawned... everyone already has red Gyarados.

;; this has been a heartbreaking update from eif

I caught a freaking shiny MAGIKARP, most pathetic waste of a shiny ever, but I was like oh well at least shiny Gyarados should be kickass!! So I went and evolved that shit and was so excited for my special shiny sea dragon and as the white light faded the realization dawned... everyone already has red Gyarados.

;; this has been a heartbreaking update from eif

It's still special if you keep it below level 30.

It's still special if you keep it below level 30.

I just reset and put un-evolved orange Magikarp back in the PC. Shiny Magikarp is hilarious anyway. When you send it out the game like pauses to focus on the ridiculous floppy fish with the ridiculous vacant face for a moment before remembering to BLING and I love it.

I'm putting my game down for a while to mourn the SHORTER Trick House, like why would you do this. ;; Almost as disappointing as golden karp.

What do you think about how the model of the Battle Tower they mention that Battle Frontier is planned, and the cameo by Lucy inside the Maison?

On the one hand it could be a teaser for an Emerald remake but on the other an Emerald remake would only happen in a different universe to OR and AS (especially given that multiple "timelines" is pretty much canon at this point) so even if there is one, it won't be the same one being teased there. Maybe the construction of the Battle Frontier just happens to be a few years ahead of the one in the ORAS timelines? idk. But I doubt they'll remake Emerald because the delta episode seems like Rayquaza's story now.

I've completed four master rank contests so far. I should get around to beating the toughness contest, since I suppose I can't claim to have beaten the game until I see all of Lisia's scenes. (although I hear you have to beat master rank 7 times?)

Also I found out that Maxie's mega item is his glasses? If my very limited knowledge of Japanese is right, doesn't that make it "megamegane"?

Also I did succeed in not blacking out once throughout the entire game! I'm in the Battle Maison now though so I don't think I can keep that streak up much longer. So far I have three or four consecutive wins in super doubles and I've never been that good at Maison battles or doubles for that matter.
I did get ~45 wins in a row in X but that was rotation battles and the AI for that probably hasn't had as much time as single/double battles have had to be done well.

I'm just breeding Eevee at the moment my team for super double battles wasn't that great so I want to replace the Gardevoir I've had from the beginning of the game with a Sylveon since I don't have any specially defensive Pokémon.

Also I'm being picky and want all of my team to be in luxury balls which is frustrating due to Eevee's gender ratio. It got me thinking how a non-50/50 gender ratio evolved (irl evolved) in the first place, especially given that eggs only ever hatch into the mother's species. You'd think ratios favouring females would be more common. But then that might explain why Eevee are so rare in the wild.
[/ramble]

What do you think about how the model of the Battle Tower they mention that Battle Frontier is planned, and the cameo by Lucy inside the Maison?

On the one hand it could be a teaser for an Emerald remake but on the other an Emerald remake would only happen in a different universe to OR and AS (especially given that multiple "timelines" is pretty much canon at this point) so even if there is one, it won't be the same one being teased there. Maybe the construction of the Battle Frontier just happens to be a few years ahead of the one in the ORAS timelines? idk. But I doubt they'll remake Emerald because the delta episode seems like Rayquaza's story now.

I've completed four master rank contests so far. I should get around to beating the toughness contest, since I suppose I can't claim to have beaten the game until I see all of Lisia's scenes. (although I hear you have to beat master rank 7 times?)

Also I found out that Maxie's mega item is his glasses? If my very limited knowledge of Japanese is right, doesn't that make it "megamegane"?

Also I did succeed in not blacking out once throughout the entire game! I'm in the Battle Maison now though so I don't think I can keep that streak up much longer. So far I have three or four consecutive wins in super doubles and I've never been that good at Maison battles or doubles for that matter.
I did get ~45 wins in a row in X but that was rotation battles and the AI for that probably hasn't had as much time as single/double battles have had to be done well.

I'm just breeding Eevee at the moment my team for super double battles wasn't that great so I want to replace the Gardevoir I've had from the beginning of the game with a Sylveon since I don't have any specially defensive Pokémon.

Also I'm being picky and want all of my team to be in luxury balls which is frustrating due to Eevee's gender ratio. It got me thinking how a non-50/50 gender ratio evolved (irl evolved) in the first place, especially given that eggs only ever hatch into the mother's species. You'd think ratios favouring females would be more common. But then that might explain why Eevee are so rare in the wild.
[/ramble]
It probably means that there will be Battle Frontier DLC. I think an Emerald remake is pretty much un-confirmed at this point since the Delta Episode just about covers it. (Rayquaza, Wallace with his Champion team popping his Champion quotes, etc.)

Good luck with that Toughness contest, it's gonna be... tough. As for the cutscenes after you beat that: you get one of them by entering and beating any Master Rank Contest (pick the one you've been doing best in!), and then there's one you get by simply entering the Master Rank Beauty Contest after that (you don't have to beat it, necessarily, although there might also be a different cutscene for it if you do... I haven't so far). I haven't run into any others yet, but I'll mention it if I do.

To the best of my knowledge, "megane" is a person who wears glasses, rather than the glasses themselves. So that would make Maxie a mega megane, but the item would be called something else. I could be wrong about this, though.

It probably means that there will be Battle Frontier DLC. I think an Emerald remake is pretty much un-confirmed at this point since the Delta Episode just about covers it. (Rayquaza, Wallace with his Champion team popping his Champion quotes, etc.)

I hadn't thought about the possibility of DLC. That's probably DLC I'd be willing to pay for as well.

I'm at Mossdeep! I really hate having to throw away one-third of my team to make room for HM slaves. >:( I swapped out my flier for now, so here is what remains:

Blaziken lv. 48 @Blazikenite
Bulk Up/Quick Attack/Blaze Kick/Double Kick

Altaria Cirrus lv. 48 @Altarianite
Roost/Dazzling Gleam/Dragon Pulse/Round

Pelipper Pepper lv. 41 @Mystic Water
Water Pulse/Air Cutter/Blizzard/Brine

Manectric lv. 39 @Manectite
Bite/Discharge/Secret Power/Quick Attack

Gardevoir lv. 35 @Amulet Coin (I bought too many TMs and secret base items)
Psychic/Shadow Ball/Draining Kiss/Magical Leaf

Cirrus is my favourite he's so cute he's so adorable he's so fluffy :333333! lol @ all my mega-evolvers. At least I don't have Gardevoirite or whatever yet.

I've been working on my secret base but I can't put in enough items yet. Is there any faster way to collect secret base flags than to collect one a day from each of my pals? P.S. please give me your QR codes. So far I have MF, Leafpool, and Superbird, but I haven't visited Superbird yet since I just got to Mossdeep. MF keeps yelling "HOENN CONFIRMED!!" at me and harassing me to create a super-secret team. At least he made me a Pikachu doll. Do you think maybe we could make a thread for secret base QR codes or something...? It was kind of a pain searching this one.

Right now I'm a Fairy Girl but I think I'm going to go back to Hex Maniac and create a spooky candlelit secret base for my secret seances to fit with my spooky, sinister, and forbidding personality. But I need more flags. >:( pls give me your bases you guys

I've been working on my secret base but I can't put in enough items yet. Is there any faster way to collect secret base flags than to collect one a day from each of my pals? P.S. please give me your QR codes. So far I have MF, Leafpool, and Superbird, but I haven't visited Superbird yet since I just got to Mossdeep. MF keeps yelling "HOENN CONFIRMED!!" at me and harassing me to create a super-secret team. At least he made me a Pikachu doll. Do you think maybe we could make a thread for secret base QR codes or something...? It was kind of a pain searching this one.

Actually I updated my base and moved it! It is now this

141dd770-76ac-11e4-a3c8-0a8b8e0d58b0.png

But, uh, one thing that works well is StreetPass! If you activate StreetPass and then connect through the PSS, a little icon will show up on your BuzzNav app. If you click it it will tell you that you received info on like 25 secret bases which you can then check out through the AreaNav's Secret Base function and you can steal flags from.

Additionally, if you invite people to your Secret Base, if you have been online at the same time as them through the PSS already that day, and you talk them in your Secret Base, they may have collected flags themselves and they'll give you however many they've collected that day, up to 30.

Actually I updated my base and moved it! It is now this

141dd770-76ac-11e4-a3c8-0a8b8e0d58b0.png

But, uh, one thing that works well is StreetPass! If you activate StreetPass and then connect through the PSS, a little icon will show up on your BuzzNav app. If you click it it will tell you that you received info on like 25 secret bases which you can then check out through the AreaNav's Secret Base function and you can steal flags from.

Additionally, if you invite people to your Secret Base, if you have been online at the same time as them through the PSS already that day, and you talk them in your Secret Base, they may have collected flags themselves and they'll give you however many they've collected that day, up to 30.

Ohhh okay, I thought I had to like, actually be near people to use the StreetPass thing. (I have never had any idea how StreetPass works.)

You do for stuff like the Eon Ticket but you can also StreetPass online idk I just did what Serebii said to do and it worked

MF keeps yelling "HOENN CONFIRMED!!" at me and harassing me to create a super-secret team. At least he made me a Pikachu doll.
will you go make your damn super-secret team already. HOENN CONFIRMED!!

Also, I did not know I was good at making plush toys. This is not a power that I will use for good.

I haven't actually played with secret bases yet! I'm trying to get to the secret islet first, but I can't get myself in! I guess I'll save it for the post-game.

Here's my first (and possibly last) status update regarding my team.
swampert.gif

Cetus ♂ lvl. 46
Mega Swampertite
Torrent
Rock Slide | Protect | Muddy Water | Mud Bomb
Cetus is my starter, obviously. He could probably do with some more EV training, but I'll save that for the post-game. His type distribution has done wonders for me insofar, although I can feel Glacia giving me a hard time.

ampharos.gif

Tian-mu ♀ lvl. 51
Static
Power Gem | Cotton Guard | Thunder Wave | Discharge
...Okay, yeah, I cheated. It has perfect IVs in everything but Attack, and I have already EV trained it, so I took this opportunity to grind. She's been super helpful so far, though.

hariyama.gif

Makit ♂ lvl. 46
Guts
Fake Out | Smelling Salts | Belly Drum | Force Palm
This is the one the kid trades you (I would never use such an uncreative nickname). I'm sort of indifferent about him so far; he levels slowly and his moves aren't that great, but the typing is nice.

metang.gif

Metang lvl. 43
Metagrossite
Clear Body
Hold Back | Iron Head | Zen Headbutt | Agility
Shiny metang, also with no proper training. It's been so, so helpful for catching wild pokémon though, what with hold back, so I've kept itin my team so far-- mega metagross won't hurt, either.

masquerain.gif

Cara ♀ lvl. 42
Lucky Egg
Intimidate
Bug Buzz | Air Slash | Scary Face | Agility
I caught it because it was in the grass, basically. I don't have anything better to replace it with, so I'll just keep it for now.​
I have seven badges so far, and I'm looking around for that beam that shot out of the ground. I feel like I've been so slow.

I finally decorated the secret base Mr That Guy made for me over by Fiery Path. By which I mean I went in, scattered Meowth dolls all over the floor and called it a day.
Right now I'm just mass catching Eevees to send out for WTXmas. Might also breed a bunch of starters when I can be arsed.

Just finished chain fishing for a shiny Feebas. I've never purposely chained for a shiny before (I realize now that this is how I got unspecial orange Karp). It took half an hour and the entire experience was so nerve-wracking; I was so scared I would blink and reel in the line too late and break my chain. I don't think I'd do it again. But shiny Milotic :D

So I've been told that you chain using the Pokénav, but I'm still not sure how that works?

The only thing close to that I can see is the scan level in the top right corner, but given that that's basically a count of how many times you've encountered it throughout the entire game and not in a row, I don't think that's it.

So I've been told that you chain using the Pokénav, but I'm still not sure how that works?

The only thing close to that I can see is the scan level in the top right corner, but given that that's basically a count of how many times you've encountered it throughout the entire game and not in a row, I don't think that's it.
I'm probably missing some parts of it, but the idea is that you "chain" encounters with those shadows in the grass or whatever, and you can use the DexNav search feature to make sure you encounter the same Pokémon in a row over and over. (It still works without the search feature if you just sneak up on a bunch of Pokémon without leaving the area or having any normal random encounters in between, but then you can't guarantee what Pokémon you'll get.) The more things you encounter in a row, the higher the chance of cool egg moves, hidden abilities, higher levels, and higher potential, and there's something like for every five encounters in a row the base level of the things you encounter goes up by 1. After I think 40 encounters the chance of a shiny goes up. You can sort of keep track of how long your chain is by watching the change in your search level for whatever Pokémon you're chaining. I just read stuff on Bulbapedia idk.

(Chain fishing is something different, but pretty much exactly what it sounds like.)

I always heard chaining does nothing for shiny encounter rate with DexNav and the Pokemon it turns up just have a higher shininess rate from the get-go.

Back
Top Bottom