• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Animal Crossing: New Horizons Mafia

i actually read a book a liked recently, though i figured y’all would find boring lol
it’s book business: publishing past, present and future, by jason epstein
- rari
very meta! is it about the technical aspects of publishing or, like, political commentary on the oligopoly of big publishers, or?

I've been slowly re-working through His Dark Materials! Still haven't read The Secret Commonwealth, though, oops.
also cool! I'm a little bit behind you, The Book of Dust is still gathering, uh, dust on my shelf. Have you seen the TV adaptation?

very meta! is it about the technical aspects of publishing or, like, political commentary on the oligopoly of big publishers, or?
it’s the memoirs of one of the most recognized editors of recent american history. he’s the guy who published vladimir nabokov; later he became the editorial director of random house for over 40 years. he talks a lot about his experiences and gives his predictions to the “future” (scare quotes because it was written in 1999). some of his predictions are very interesting, but some read like a the jetsons-style utopia tbh. also he believed that ebooks would never be successful, which is a bit lol (though not surprising in the area)

it might be of notice to mention that i study publishing in college :v

- rari

I've been slowly re-working through His Dark Materials! Still haven't read The Secret Commonwealth, though, oops.
also cool! I'm a little bit behind you, The Book of Dust is still gathering, uh, dust on my shelf. Have you seen the TV adaptation?
Oh, cool! I thought La Belle Sauvage was great, but probably part of that was me wanting to get back into the world heh. I don't know anything about the show, have you seen it?

it’s the memoirs of one of the most recognized editors of recent american history. he’s the guy who published vladimir nabokov; later he became the editorial director of random house for over 40 years. he talks a lot about his experiences and gives his predictions to the “future” (scare quotes because it was written in 1999). some of his predictions are very interesting, but some read like a the jetsons-style utopia tbh. also he believed that ebooks would never be successful, which is a bit lol (though not surprising in the area)

it might be of notice to mention that i study publishing in college :v

- rari
ah, gotcha! that sounds like an interesting major, how did you get into it?

re ebooks, I dunno. ~5 years ago they were all the rage (I still have a Kindle somewhere) but it feels like interest has sort of peaked. there are lots more physical bookshops in my town than there used to be, and I remember reading an article a few months ago about how ebook revenue has gone down in the last couple of years. you can't sell them, you can't lend them (or at least it's harder) - they just don't really fill the same cultural niche as physical books. so honestly I kinda agree with him in the long run

also would it be showing my ignorance if I said I didn't know who vladimir nabokov is

Oh, cool! I thought La Belle Sauvage was great, but probably part of that was me wanting to get back into the world heh. I don't know anything about the show, have you seen it?
yeah the BBC did a miniseries late last year, adapting Northern Lights and the first few chapters of Subtle Knife. I gather it's on HBO outside the UK if you ever feel so inclined. it was much better than the travesty that was the 2007 film, and I thought the actors were really well chosen for the parts, but I think it came too far down on the other end of the "following the plot of the books" spectrum and dragged on an awful lot. also it was really obvious that they spent the entire CGI budget on daemons

I do kinda feel like Northern Lights is the weakest of the trilogy though, maybe the next season will translate better to screen

maybe I'll pick up La Belle Sauvage soon!

in the event that we make it out of here & tbh goes down toNight

i don’t care that koko just voted on them, or that they had a good d1, read their longpost and the late w!keldeo’s catsposting

if town doesn’t look at bbt tomorrow i will haunt the fuck out of you all

and that’s a mewtini promise. glgl
don’t forget this.
- rari

in the event that we make it out of here & tbh goes down toNight

i don’t care that koko just voted on them, or that they had a good d1, read their longpost and the late w!keldeo’s catsposting

if town doesn’t look at bbt tomorrow i will haunt the fuck out of you all

and that’s a mewtini promise. glgl
don’t forget this.
- rari
have slowly been coming round to this view too tbh

very sorry about tunnelling on you earlier

mewtini might kill me for longposting after nudging her haunting promise but yeah before anything don’t forget to look into bbt if we die, guys

ah, gotcha! that sounds like an interesting major, how did you get into it?
it’s kind of a long story, but to sum it up i was in pure desperation after studying a year of something i hated and found out about the course while i was looking for library studies. in the end i don’t know if i did the right choice, but meh, i vibe ig. at least i don’t hate the prospect of working in publishing.

re ebooks, I dunno. ~5 years ago they were all the rage (I still have a Kindle somewhere) but it feels like interest has sort of peaked. there are lots more physical bookshops in my town than there used to be, and I remember reading an article a few months ago about how ebook revenue has gone down in the last couple of years. you can't sell them, you can't lend them (or at least it's harder) - they just don't really fill the same cultural niche as physical books. so honestly I kinda agree with him in the long run
yeah i think that the ebook industry still has much to evolve. particularly i think that the model of drm that is currently in use isn’t ideal for anyone and while the big vendors stick to sublicensing for personal use as a business model it won’t be too big of a hit. i think amazon is on the right track with prime books though – it was only when streaming took off that movie/music piracy started decreasing significantly, and currently ebook piracy is the only one with a rising trend from what i’ve last heard

because of covid, ebooks and ereaders are seeing a rise in sales but we have no idea how long that will last after the pandemic tbh

tbh this is a bit of a spicy take, but every time a new medium appears there is a large backlash against it. it happened with parchment vs papyrus, then again with paper vs parchment and finally, to a much lesser extent, with wood-based paper vs cloth-based paper. what we’re seeing now is very likely to be the very beginning of a transition from paper to electronics. i am not saying that the physical book will disappear – it won’t, but by the end of the century it will have become something solemn and ~special~, much like the vinyl records are nowadays in terms of music. this is my take on the subject considering the history of the printed word.

also would it be showing my ignorance if I said I didn't know who vladimir nabokov is
dw lol. it’s the dude who wrote lolita
- rari

This evening on Teacod Island, it was every creature for themselves. The townsfolk had argued more in one day than they had their entire lives. They even had to gift each other books to show that it wasn't personal. However, they couldn't be distracted from their goal.

No one expected it, but Sable and Mabel themselves turned against each other. Mabel, the cunning blue hedgehog that she was, set up an elaborate plan in order to find the killers, and Sable did not fit into that plan.

However, Mabel miscalculated. And when she was caught in her lies, the town descended upon her with righteous justice. She was cast off into the sea, never to be seen again.

And then there were six.

Sable, Isabelle, KK Slider, Timmy, Tommy, and Tom Nook himself.

The Nook family wasted no time getting into position for the final part of their master plan. They each overpowered one of the remaining townsfolk, and shoved them into the Residential Services building and locked it. Next stop: the airport.

"Ready boss?... boss?" Timmy said from the pilot's seat of their hotwired Dodo Airlines plane. "All set. Commence drenching." Tommy hung out the side with a comically large gasoline can, and as Timmy flew methodically over the island, they poured fuel over every tree, house, and pathway, making sure to seal the exits. Then, Tom Nook lit one stylish match, and condemned the island to burn.

As they flew away into the slowest sunset they'd ever seen, orange and red flames behind them, Tom Nook breathed a sigh of relief. He could finally get away with the tax evasion necessary to save his company.

What's the moral of the story, kids?
Late stage capitalism is evil.

Back
Top Bottom