• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Attacks and Abilities Guide

Bunch of questions I don't know how to answer so I'm deferring them here:

Does Wish take enough concentration that it could be hindered/prevented with a well-timed Echoed voice? Specifically an Echoed Voice strong enough to do 10% damage (first use, Adaptability and +2 special attack) and the target is an Eevee busy treading water. What about if it did 16% damage (second use)? What if it was trying to stop Rest instead of Wish?

Wish doesn't require a lot of concentration; I would say no. Likewise rest. If the user had already started resting and was asleep, a boosted (second use at least) echoed voice would wake it up, stopping its healing.

Didn't you say pretty much the opposite re: Rest at some point when someone asked pretty much the same question with Screech or something? You could potentially prevent the user from falling asleep, but once it's under, it's under?

Also, if Jump Kick hits Protect, does it cause crash damage? And if so, does it still make Protect cost more energy?

Sound-based moves like screech aren't enough; really loud sound-based moves (>= 90 bp) or those specifically tailored to waking up will. Preventing them from falling asleep, all right, I'll say that's fine, if the move is timed so that it actually goes off when the pokémon is trying to rest, i.e. it's not just a case of one pokémon happening to use screech in the same action as another is trying to rest.

If jump kick hits protect, it will cause crash damage, and the protect will still cost more energy because the attack did hit it.

Does Wish's duration include the action it's used on? (And is there any particular reason it's not constant? Three actions not including the one it's used on makes sense to me; that means it happens in a round.)

Will the holder of a type-efficacy berry automatically eat it when an attack of the right type hits it?

EDIT: Also, if a Pokémon gets Yawned at when it's in water, does it fall asleep and wake right back up at the end of the next action, or just not fall asleep? If it's the former, would that make it miss one action? What if it were Hypnosis or Sleep Powder or something?

Last edited:
Wish's duration doesn't count the action it's used on. It's variable to make it a little less reliable and, thus, good.

Yes, a pokémon holding a berry will automatically eat it when it gets into a situation when it would be useful--the first time it gets statused, if it's a lum berry, or the first time it gets hit by the appropriate type of attack. You can tell your pokémon to forgo doing that if you want, but if you want the effect later you'll have to spend an action on a command to eat the berry.

If a pokémon were put to sleep while it was in the water--if the water was deep enough that it would be submerged if it stopped swimming, and it weren't able to breathe underwater--then it would wake up at the end of that action, regardless of what sleep move had put it under. A pokémon won't continue to sleep when it's in a life-threatening (here interpreted as "automatic KO") situation.

If your pokémon has a lum berry, and you tell it to forgo eating it if it gets poisoned, and it does so and later gets paralysed, would lum berry activate then?

If your pokémon has a lum berry, and you tell it to forgo eating it if it gets poisoned, and it does so and later gets paralysed, would lum berry activate then?

If the above situation happens (i.e. a Pokemon is afflicted by a status and is holding a lum berry when it gains another status), would the lum berry cure only one or both/all conditions? If only one, which would it cure?

Re: Litwick locomotion: I finally got around to watching the Litwick episode of Best Wishes and I was right; it just slides around while wibbling its base.

Yes, unless you stated that you want the "don't eat" command to extend beyond the round where you initially give it.

If the above situation happens (i.e. a Pokemon is afflicted by a status and is holding a lum berry when it gains another status), would the lum berry cure only one or both/all conditions? If only one, which would it cure?
Lum will always cure as many major statuses as possible, and it can wipe out all of them at once.

How powerful is a Vacuum Wave's vacuum? What could it pull out of the way?
Not very. Things like feathers, leaves, very small rocks, twigs, it could probably handle. It will put out very small fires, i.e. half the size of ember. If you want to be seriously moving things around with a vacuum, aeroblast is what you want. Pity about the distribution.

Can a Pokémon with Arena Trap prevent a consensually flying/levitating Pokémon from lifting off? And if it does manage to get in the air, does it escape the effects of Arena Trap? Also, does Arena Trap actually prevent switching, or does "no other pokémon may leave the arena" just mean e.g. they're trapped on the island in an island-based arena?

It could, but not through the effects of the arena trap ability itself. If it's in the air, it is able to escape the effects of arena trap. It actually does prevent switching.

Back
Top Bottom