• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Attacks seem more powerful in the show than in game?

CJBlazer

Where have I been at?
I don't know if its just, or has anyone else noticed how some attacks in the show seem much more powerful in the shows then in the games.

Take Fire Spin for example. That is a raging tornado of fire. That seems like a mighty strong fire attack. Yet, in the game, it only has, what, 15 power? Thats weaker than Ember is.

... yeah? This is nothing new; the anime is pretty well-known for being incredibly ridiculous. See also: pikachu beating an onix with thundershock!

... yeah? This is nothing new; the anime is pretty well-known for being incredibly ridiculous. See also: pikachu beating an onix with thundershock!

To be entirely fair, it was soaked in water!

Fire Spin is so weak because the tornado of fire is surrounding your opponent, hitting it every so often. It tends to do more damage over time than attacks like Ember.

Of course. In the anime, Tackle is boss.

Fire Spin is a strategic move, that's why it's so weak in the game. Actually, it's not really an attacking move, it's a trapping move that inflicts damage but wears off with time, unlike Block for example which doesn't inflict any damage but doesn't wear off.

Take Fire Spin for example. That is a raging tornado of fire. That seems like a mighty strong fire attack. Yet, in the game, it only has, what, 15 power? Thats weaker than Ember is.

Substitute it for Magma Storm in your mind, it helps.

Yeah it wasn't the thundershock that really beat it. It was the thundershock setting off the sprinklers.

Then somehow an onix became weak to electricity....

Yeah anime still doesn't make sense.

If I were Brock I'd just command the onix to SQUISH THE YELLOW MOUSE THINGY.

But he's adorabubble!

tumblr_lvti4sZKAW1qaxs7u.gif

I almost gave up on the anime after seeing Pikachu take out a Dragonite. In the game, Dragonite's Outrage would kill Pikachu more than 10 times before it stopped doing damage.

I don't know about seeming more powerful exactly (though Fire Spin definitely was shown as a stronger attack in the anime than it really is in the games... the card game did that too, if I remember right), but attacks in the anime are definitely more exaggerated and flashy than they're supposed to be.

I guess it's probably so the kids watching don't get bored--without the exaggerated attacks, half of the show's battles would feature nothing but wimpy unevolved Pokémon flinging around tiny little fist-sized fireballs and squirt-gun-like water sprays and weak, static-y almost-mini-lightning-bolts, and then all the easily-distracted kids who need big explosions to be entertained wouldn't keep watching it.

I almost gave up on the anime after seeing Pikachu take out a Dragonite.

At least a Dragonite would actually take damage from electric attacks... Ash's Pikachu consistently KO'ing Ground-types with electric attacks makes so much less sense (and even more nonsensical: they're not even consistent about it. Sometimes Ground-types really are immune to electricity, even from Ash's Pikachu!)

Back
Top Bottom