• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

[B/W] RMT: Let's Look At this 5th Gen Team

Exo-Raikou

It's over. I'm sorry, but it's over.
Yes, it's been some time since I've tried competitive. I've finally motivated myself to put together a semi-decent team and see what happens when I'm done with it. Look now; being amazed is optional:

628.png
@ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP, 208 Special Defense, 48 Defense
Moves:
Stealth Rock
Leech Seed
Protect
Power Whip

You've seen 'em once, you've seen 'em a thousand times. Stealth Rock early on, Leech Seed and Protect for defending, Power Whip for a basic attack. A handy wall that laughs at anything except Fighting and Fire

113.png
@ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
Nature: Bold
EVs: 4 HP, 252 Defense, 252 Special Defense
Moves:
Seismic Toss
Toxic
Wish
Protect

Remember that Blissey that I always had? This is her in her younger days. Standard-issue bulky wall, not much else to talk about

665.png
@ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
Nature: Timid
EVs:4 HP, 252 Attack, 252 Speed
Moves:
Dragon Pulse
Dark Pulse
Surf
Fire Blast

I love this guy. So much. Moves fast, hits hard, and leaves a trail of destruction in his wake. I've swept 50% of teams before on this brute alone

575.png
@ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 Defense, 248 Special Defense, 8 Speed
Moves:
Taunt
Substitute
Leech Seed
U-Turn

And here's where I become less sure if I'm going about this right. In any case, this fellow serves as the disruptor for my team - Taunts early against other support, then does SubSeed in rapid succession, usually then U-Turning out afterwards and letting Hydreigon or one of the next two do the rest

562.png
@ Flame Orb
Trait: Guts
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Attack, 252 HP, 4 Speed
Moves:
Drain Punch
Earthquake
Rock Slide
Mach Punch

Another brute; this one's based more around tanking the hits and then hitting back just as hard; the flame orb activates Guts, and Drain Punch ensures that he doesn't die from the burn too soon. Mach Punch is for the standard-issue last minute hit, while the other two moves are for coverage

522.png
@ Life Orb
Trait: V-Create
Nature: Timid
Moves:
Searing Shot
Psychic
Thunder
Focus Blast

This last one is done because honestly, I have no idea what else I should be putting here (shows what I know about Gen V metagame, am I right?) V-Create allows Focus Blast and Thunder to have greater accuracy; and the moves in general allow for good coverage on things that aren't named Latias

Well, one thing's for certain: this team has its ups and it has its downs. I think I know what I'm doing somewhere along the way, so that helps.

In any case, thoughts?

Do you have trouble with fast Pokemon? You may want to put a Scarf on Hydreigon or Victini; those two work pretty well with Scarf.

If you want Scarf Hydreigon, something like Draco Meteor, Focus Blast, U-Turn, Fire Blast. ... not sure if Surf will do well?

If you want Scarf Victini, it works best with a physical set because oh God V-Create. Choice sets are hit-and-run, anyway, so the stat drops won't matter much, plus the first speed drop is pretty much nullified by the Scarf. So... V-Create, U-Turn, Zen Headbutt, Bolt Strike?

If you want to use Whimsicott, take advantage of priority Encore. Stop set-up sweepers in their tracks and is generally really useful. But unless you have a gigantic weakness to set-up sweepers, then you're probably better off using another Pokemon... Whimsicott isn't that great for OU outside of niche uses such as priority Encore, Tailwind, blah blah blah.

How long is your Conkeldurr out for, approximately? If it stays in for at least 3 turns most of the time, stick with Flame Orb; otherwise, Toxic Orb deals less damage over the long run.

Err, that Conkeldurr set seems pretty suckish to me, if you want a Tank that will last the last thing you want to do is to give it a flame orb. I'd recommend the more classical

Conkeldurr@Leftovers
Ability: Guts
Nature: Careful
252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpDef
-Drain Punch
-Stone Edge / Payback
-Bulk Up
-Mach Punch

After a single boost, it can stick around for a while and destroy lots of stuff, while being veeeery bulky on both sides of the spectrum. Guts protects you from nasty ghosts that want to burn you as you retaliate with a boosted coverage move, and Drain Punch assures semi-consistent healing as you sweep.

I'll admit the flame orb was a bit of a last-minute add-on to try and ensure the he didn't get screwed over by Sleep or Paralysis (which, believe me, he did). That being said, I will try that set you suggested, Quidam

Also, In regards to the "My team will die to Fighters" issue, I was considering swapping Victini for a Ghost Sweeper (Gengar/Chandelure), and Ferrothorn for Forretress. Is that a good idea?

Actually, how has Whimsicott been working for you? You could try swapping that for a ghost or some other fighting resist if it doesn't seem to be pulling its weight.

Ideally, I would need to replace Whimsicott with another Prankster-Disruptor. Looking at the list of pokemon that get Prankster, Sableye and Tornadus would be the only viable options that resist fighting. I could actually see either one of them successfully taking that role, though more likely Sableye, since it seems that Tornadus is made for Rain Dance sweeping.

As I always say, thoughts?

Murkrow with Eviolite and a set of Taunt, Roost, FeatherDance and a filler (most likely something like Toxic or Whirlwind) works, even though it doesnt resist fighting. Something that strikes my mind would be to use Slowbro as a complementary wall to Ferrothorn, as they cover each other's weakness perfectly. Plus, Slowbro is hell to nearly every fighting type but Virizion and Breloom, both being handled by the rest of your team. I would suggets removing Whimsicott though.

Okay, so one way or another Whimsicott's gone. If I want to up the ante for Fight-Resistance, replacing with Slowbro is clearly the more viable option.

Moveset would likely be something like:

Bold Nature
Scald
Psyshock
Thunder Wave/Toxic (Either works)
Slack Off

As you yourself said, Quidam, Murkrow doesn't resists fighting, so I need something that fills in that big gaping hole instead.

Do you find yourself struggling with fast or tanky Pokemon? Use Thunder Wave to cripple the speed demons, and Toxic to kill the walls. Looking at your team, I think Thunder Wave is a better option, though you know your team best.

Well, the good news is that the modifications to Conkelldurr and the addition of Slowbro have helped me in testing this in pokemon online

Bad news is I learned via Serebii that A slowpoke with Regenerator is available legally yet. Admittedly, I'm not sure what I should do about it at this point. Suggestions, please?

Well, serebii's info might be wrong, but then again I've battled in non-DW tiers against a Drizzle Politoed, and the opponent was obviously able to use it

Back
Top Bottom