• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Daily Pokemon Discussions

Re: (Ditto) Daily Pokemon Discussions

I went to the Underground and talked to that Hiker over and over until I found out that Hikers didn't count.

The type combo is interesting. And it even starts with the same letter as Sableye. And it's purple.

And... It's slow. When I found out Cyntia had this mighty fearsome ghost, I expected it to be faster than my Torterra, but it wasn't. More of a defensive... entity, right?

It's so closely involved with number 108. Like 108 is to Spiritomb what eight is to Vriska. Once, when it was the 108th Maths lesson, I decided to make a Spiritomb-based scribble next to the number. Yes, I'm weird.
I think Spiritomb should have a 1-in-109 chance to be genderless. Because of the thing with 108 evil spirits, you know.

In my opinion, it's in the top three Ghost-type pokemon, tied with Sableye. And both of those are for the same reason. They're both Ghost/Dark, which (I believe) means is has NO weaknesses :D

Unless you use foresight.

Its ok, I suppose. Never used one though my brother hacked one with wonder guard. That was funny.

Spiritomb's pretty cool, although a giant pain to get. I was able to get a Spiritomb in BW (via Dream World) before I was able to get one in DPPl. Haven't used one in battle, but have faced more than enough in game. Definitely wish Scrappy was a more common ability.

Its ok, I suppose. Never used one though my brother hacked one with wonder guard. That was funny.
Still vulnerable to Toxic and Sandstorm and the like though! Unless it knew Rest or something. And then there's always Mold Breaker, though I don't remember if that ramps over Wonder Guard.

Also, at first I hated it for upstaging the infinitely cooler Sableye, but then later learned to like it in its own right.

Spiritomb is rather cool. I hate, though, how he is obtained. It's quite spooky too. I never caught one, but he is a interesting Pokemon for sure.

It's so closely involved with number 108. Like 108 is to Spiritomb what eight is to Vriska. Once, when it was the 108th Maths lesson, I decided to make a Spiritomb-based scribble next to the number. Yes, I'm weird.
I think Spiritomb should have a 1-in-109 chance to be genderless. Because of the thing with 108 evil spirits, you know.

It's Number 108 in the D/P/Pt pokedex, it's base defense and special defense is 108, and it weighs 108.0 kilograms.

I believe it's based on the 108 temptations in Buddhism that is required to reach Nirvana.

Ditto certainly is pretty neat. Though it's pretty much a novelty pokemon outside of breeding, it IS cool to try and make a pokemon fight "themselves".

It's Number 108 in the D/P/Pt pokedex, it's base defense and special defense is 108, and it weighs 108.0 kilograms.

I believe it's based on the 108 temptations in Buddhism that is required to reach Nirvana.

Completely forgot to mention that! I love how that was added to Spiritomb. Although, 108.0 kilograms (or 238.1 pounds) is a bit much for a one meter (or a 3'03" foot) Pokemon. An Odd Keystone must weigh quite a lot. I like how the PMD: Sky's Spiritomb used plural pronouns to reference the 108 temptations.

Although, Wailord completely beats Spiritomb in wonky weight/height ratio.

Also, it might be time to update the thread header. It'd be great if there was a way to keep it updated all the time.

Ditto certainly is pretty neat. Though it's pretty much a novelty pokemon outside of breeding, it IS cool to try and make a pokemon fight "themselves".

Ditto isn't here anymore :X

Hate this thing, if only because I've never managed to get one in Pearl...

Speaking of Wonderguard Spirtomb/Sableye(Who is much cooler), I thought up a set for it that allows you to mostly reliably kill 8 opponents.

Spiritomb Sableye
Wonderguard
Leftovers
252 Speed Ev's
~Taunt
~Simple Beam/Worry Seed
~Lock-On
~Sheer Cold

Use Taunt to prevent whatchmacallits from statusing or foresight/miracle eye, Worry Seed or Simple Beam to beat annoying abilities such as Mold Breaker and Scrappy, the Lock-On to ensure Sheer Cold hits. Works best with max PP-ups, and probably Sableye due to it having higher speed.

NOTE: Obviously this is all impossible to do without cheating, but since you need to cheat to get Wonderguard on Sableye or Spiritomb, why not go the whole nine yards?

Meep. My bad. XP Blame the header.

For the sake of not falling behind, I might as well give opinions on the current and previous pokemon. Spiritomb and Charizard.

For Spiritomb, I've never used it. Mostly because of the method of obtaining it. However, I remember this pokemon for the way Cynthia used it. Double team+Will-o-whisp+Sucker Punch with pressure. That's a pretty nasty combination.

As for Charizard I hate to play the bad guy but... I really don't get why he's so popular. The additional flying type almost makes fire redundant. And that's before stealth rock. Maybe I'm just biased, as a Blue player who holds Blastoise in high regard. >.>

Well, since there doesn't seem to be a Pokemon chosen for today's topic, I choose....

Flygon

Flygon

Flygon. I really don't get the popularity of this Pokemon. He is so weird looking. In my opinion, Salamence can tear Flygon to shreds long before Flygon and its leathery wings can even counteract.

I like Flygon's design. It's like a bug mixed with dragon, the not-goggles are a neat touch. I'd rather use it over Salamence anyway. I got a Salamence on my old platinum game that, despite being EV trained and nature in the right place, was still probably the weakest pokemon I'd raised in such a fashion.

I'd use Flygon more if it weren't for Vibrava. Vibrava's design is still neat but from experience it's a liability until it evolves.

The name Flygon would make so much more sense for Salamence.

If there could be combinations of three types, this guy should be part Bug. Why isn't even Trapinch part Bug?

Wait, is it pretending to have huge insect eyes while actually having some kind of protection against sandstorms?

Aww, those stats. Almost like Mew and the others. The higher Attack and Speed are most likely caused by the Dragon aspect, and the Ground aspect neutralizes the Special Attack increase and keeps it from getting too fragile.
Same Attack stat as Trapinch? Oh well, Trapinch has those huge jaws and stuff.

The thing with Arena Trap and Levitate is interesting. It's like a way to make sure that the child isn't dangerous to its parents.

And... Wow, it's so much more reptillian than Vibrava!

Hate this thing, if only because I've never managed to get one in Pearl...

Speaking of Wonderguard Spirtomb/Sableye(Who is much cooler), I thought up a set for it that allows you to mostly reliably kill 8 opponents.

Spiritomb Sableye
Wonderguard
Leftovers
252 Speed Ev's
~Taunt
~Simple Beam/Worry Seed
~Lock-On
~Sheer Cold

Use Taunt to prevent whatchmacallits from statusing or foresight/miracle eye, Worry Seed or Simple Beam to beat annoying abilities such as Mold Breaker and Scrappy, the Lock-On to ensure Sheer Cold hits. Works best with max PP-ups, and probably Sableye due to it having higher speed.

NOTE: Obviously this is all impossible to do without cheating, but since you need to cheat to get Wonderguard on Sableye or Spiritomb, why not go the whole nine yards?
The other player inevitably switches when Lock-on is, so it doesn't really reliably kill things.

And as for Flygon: it's one of the coolest Pokémon around, imo.

Flygon. I really don't get the popularity of this Pokemon. He is so weird looking. In my opinion, Salamence can tear Flygon to shreds long before Flygon and its leathery wings can even counteract.
Underestimate the punch of some STAB Earthquake at your own risk. It's outclassed by Garchomp in that regard but Garchomp (and Salamence usually likewise for that matter) are going to be rotting up in Ubers for quite a while. And in-game, of course, Trapinch are an infinite lot less trouble to catch and raise than Bagon.

Also, what leathery wings?

I like Flygon's design. It's like a bug mixed with dragon, the not-goggles are a neat touch. I'd rather use it over Salamence anyway. I got a Salamence on my old platinum game that, despite being EV trained and nature in the right place, was still probably the weakest pokemon I'd raised in such a fashion.

I'd use Flygon more if it weren't for Vibrava. Vibrava's design is still neat but from experience it's a liability until it evolves.
If you don't mind the terrible speed, keeping an unevolved Trapinch for a while can yield decent results (Trapinch actually learns some crazy powerful moves if you don't evolve it for long). It's kind of like how real-life antlions only spend the last few parts of their lives at their fully-grown stage, even.

Altough, for all its lack of learning good moves in a long while, Vibrava is really cool.

The name Flygon would make so much more sense for Salamence.
Yes but that'd sound horribly tacky.

Wait, is it pretending to have huge insect eyes while actually having some kind of protection against sandstorms?
250px-330Flygon.png

Taking a close look: nope.

From close-up, you can see that it has normal eyes with transparent whatevers on them (presumably to shield the eyes from sand), but from a distance, it looks like compound eyes.

Another weird association: Drake has two Flygon. Double weakness to Ice and stuff... It's easy to level up Kyogre on Drake.

The other player inevitably switches when Lock-on is, so it doesn't really reliably kill things.

I mostly used it in the Battle Subway, just to see if would work, and it seemed to do alright there. But that switching would become a problem...

Now I need a new way to take over the world... I suppose if you could deal without Taunt or Simple Beam/Worry Seed, you could use Mean Look instead...

Anyways, Flygon is a beast bug. Hoinestly, he's my favorite Hoenn Dragon aside from Rayquaza.

Back
Top Bottom