• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Dies Twice Mafia - Game Thread

could be some sort of non-doctor protective role like a bodyguard or something

I have to agree with RNP here Finch may be incredibly suspicious, that was a well-created presentation. Of course, a presentation like that is everything the TRUE killer needs to distract attention from themselves. But what if the killer was to abuse the creation of such a well-made informational video to shift blame from themselves to an innocent? And what if the killer was reading a post that shifted suspicions from an innocent bystander to an innocent bystander to an innocent bystander? There are layers...

Noon has started. 48 hours for voting.

(less actually, I am woefully late on the announcement whops)

Welp. Half-dead already!

Well, this rather signals that the mafia might go for me again tonight unless something major comes out today to draw them to somebody else, so I'm in an interesting dilemma where maybe I should just spill everything I've got before I get fully dead, or maybe being shot has actually already gotten the attention of protective roles and I'll be fine. I guess in a game where everyone is effectively one-shot bulletproof, we shouldn't necessarily expect there to be any kind of outside protection, so I'm sort of leaning proooobably spill-everything?

Thoughts welcome, though. Thankfully we've got some time.
hmm. you might be right that they'll just finish the job tonight, but i'm kind of reluctant to set the precedent of dumping all our information when we're down to a single life - on balance i think it's better than not in a pinch, i suppose, but it's uncomfortable if mafia is able to apply that kind of pressure every night. does that make sense?
Hmmm. I suppose, in general; people would have to apply their own judgement to whether it's actually a situation where they should talk. But something is kind of pinging me about this post - it's sort of hasty and feels kind of like wanting to avoid a general precedent where the mafia would be likely to need to come up with plausible fakeclaims at a relatively early stage of the game? I don't know, the vibe I'm getting could be way off but it's the thing that's standing out most to me at the moment (granted, most everything else is shitposting).

Would definitely like to see a cool bug.

Last edited:
Welp. Half-dead already!

Well, this rather signals that the mafia might go for me again tonight unless something major comes out today to draw them to somebody else, so I'm in an interesting dilemma where maybe I should just spill everything I've got before I get fully dead, or maybe being shot has actually already gotten the attention of protective roles and I'll be fine. I guess in a game where everyone is effectively one-shot bulletproof, we shouldn't necessarily expect there to be any kind of outside protection, so I'm sort of leaning proooobably spill-everything?

Thoughts welcome, though. Thankfully we've got some time.
hmm. you might be right that they'll just finish the job tonight, but i'm kind of reluctant to set the precedent of dumping all our information when we're down to a single life - on balance i think it's better than not in a pinch, i suppose, but it's uncomfortable if mafia is able to apply that kind of pressure every night. does that make sense?
Hmmm. I suppose, in general; people would have to apply their own judgement to whether it's actually a situation where they should talk. But something is kind of pinging me about this post - it's sort of hasty and feels kind of like wanting to avoid a general precedent where the mafia would be likely to need to come up with plausible fakeclaims at a relatively early stage of the game? I don't know, the vibe I'm getting could be way off but it's the thing that's standing out most to be at the moment (granted, most everything else is shitposting).
I'm not really sure I follow. If the precedent becomes claim upon your first death, why would the mafia need to fakeclaim early? Scum wouldn't be killing other scum as their nightkill, and the odds that a town hits a scum with a vig or a vote are kinda low this early in the game. Maybe once more lives start dropping scum might be incentivized to shed one of their lives through a nightkill to reduce suspicion, but I can't see that being a thing till midgame.

In any case though, I'm sorta with kyeugh. I'd like to keep the cards I have to my chest unless my hand is forced, and I'm not really comfortable with giving the mafia a tool to force us to claim via town pressure if we set a precedent here. It's perfectly fine if you want to claim since it's your choice, but I'd rather not have it become an expectation if it can be helped.

i agree with stryke here, like; logically speaking, i don't really know what scum agenda skylar's post would have. if anything, i guess you could read skylar's post as an attempt to project towniness, but i also don't think that that's what bfree was saying and when i first read her post earlier today i thought it read kind of bad-faith

i feel like i haven't played Substantial mafia w butterfree at all recently enough to have much insight into her posting though lol and maybe this is all just tonal weirdness (#hedge)

also i have to take 4 hours of exams and also i have an 8hr work shift tomorrow so i will not be chilling in here much for the next 24hrs </3

Would definitely like to see a cool bug.
i've got the bug pictures in the bug archive at home i'm out on the town playing williams funhouse pinball rn
20240528_190011.jpg

20240528_190015.jpg

i'm no thoughts head empty on reads rn i'm wiped tf out from work

williams funhouse pinball is the single best pinball machine in the world

The thing is I didn’t say anything about setting a precedent or that everyone ought to do this - I was musing on my own situation. Jumping on that with “Don’t claim, it would set a precedent” feels dodgy to me, as if preemptively anticipating and trying to cut off the possibility of more townies choosing to claim under similar circumstances afterwards.

In this setup, in general, I am actually inclined to think claiming is kind of a more powerful tool for town than usual, since the mafia needs two shots to eliminate somebody by default and townies get a clear signal for when they’re in danger (but obviously whether to claim in any given situation is something each townie has to weigh for themselves, and no, we should not expect everyone to claim when down to one life). I had been thinking of that in relation to my dilemma, so immediate suspicion of the idea of claiming even when clearly in danger struck me as weird and scum-agendaed, in the sense that if it becomes a claim-heavy game that would put more pressure on scum to work out plausible claims. That’s the sort of thing I worry about when playing scum, at any rate.

That said, I don’t think it’s impossible to think this as town or anything, and I’m not strongly committed to kyeugh being scum necessarily. It was just the biggest hunch I got off anything, and did kick off some actually substantial discussion.

Now I’m vaguely wondering if there’s now enough suspicion on me that the mafia would actually rather keep me around to absorb some of the heat, hmm.

i have to say it would be fucking hilarious if butterfree turned out scum a third game in a row

The thing is I didn’t say anything about setting a precedent or that everyone ought to do this - I was musing on my own situation. Jumping on that with “Don’t claim, it would set a precedent” feels dodgy to me, as if preemptively anticipating and trying to cut off the possibility of more townies choosing to claim under similar circumstances afterwards.

In this setup, in general, I am actually inclined to think claiming is kind of a more powerful tool for town than usual, since the mafia needs two shots to eliminate somebody by default and townies get a clear signal for when they’re in danger (but obviously whether to claim in any given situation is something each townie has to weigh for themselves, and no, we should not expect everyone to claim when down to one life). I had been thinking of that in relation to my dilemma, so immediate suspicion of the idea of claiming even when clearly in danger struck me as weird and scum-agendaed, in the sense that if it becomes a claim-heavy game that would put more pressure on scum to work out plausible claims. That’s the sort of thing I worry about when playing scum, at any rate.

That said, I don’t think it’s impossible to think this as town or anything, and I’m not strongly committed to kyeugh being scum necessarily. It was just the biggest hunch I got off anything, and did kick off some actually substantial discussion.
Fair enough, I jumped the gun on the precedent thing, my bad. I'm still confused on how this could pressure scum to generate fakeclaims though; unless we decide to do claims early on en masse, just having people claim when they get down a life would mean that (barring a lucky scum kill) scum wouldn't be expected to claim for at least a few more days, since they're the ones doing the killing right now.

I also just... Don't really think fakeclaiming is that big a deal? Like sure it's not something I'd like to do when I play as scum, but there's lots of documentation about all the different roles people have come up with for this game. With a bit of time and research I could probably come up with something plausible enough if I had to, so I wouldn't want to go out of my way to discourage it. That might just be me though, I can see how it can be nerve-wracking for others though

Anyway it is in fact eod in a bit, so I guess that means we need to start doing things. I don't wanna tunnel newbies for being inactive this early, so... What's up Flora? Got anything for us?

Fakeclaiming means you have to come up with something that the townies buy and is also consistent with information that may have been obtained by townies that you don't know about yet! Easy to get caught out via claim that turns out to be inconsistent with something someone knows, and conversely if the fakeclaim is super conveniently undisprovable, that can also stick out.

Anyway, I was thinking more in terms of what I was saying about a claim-heavy game, more than if people only ever claimed when they have one life left.

Hmmmmm... I'm actually getting a bad gut feeling about Stryke off some general vague sense of Same As When We Were Mafia Together. I'm also tired and distracted by the other voting going on (Icelandic presidential election). If you've got a better case to make, though, by all means.

Back
Top Bottom