• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Doctor Who Club

Ahahahaha, I totally thought Amy's leg in that picture was the Doctor's. Took me a moment to work out what was going on.

And if the previews they keep showing on the beeb are anything to go by, there will be pyramids (sometimes with the american flag on?) and DINOSAURS and
EYEPATCH RIVER! What do you kids make ot THAT?

^ Hahaha, me too.
When is it starting by the way?

Also regarding the latest Torchwood, whilst I thought the flashback told a good story, I think it took up too much of the episode and came out of nowhere, especialy for someone who is supposedly a villain. And there was just a biit too much M/M fanservice. Not that I have a problem with it being there, but it would be nice for a bit of F/F to balance it out, but that's just my inner pervert talking so eh.
Also Rex and Esther saving the day was pretty badass.

But the inconsistent characterisation makes me think that RTD's (for lack of a better word) meddling with the episodes the other writers have done to make them say what he wants. So there's JaneEspenson!Gwen and RTD!Gwen and Otherwriters!Gwen and they're all slightly (sometimes wildly) different characters.

^ Hahaha, me too.
When is it starting by the way?

Also regarding the latest Torchwood, whilst I thought the flashback told a good story, I think it took up too much of the episode and came out of nowhere, especialy for someone who is supposedly a villain. And there was just a biit too much M/M fanservice. Not that I have a problem with it being there, but it would be nice for a bit of F/F to balance it out, but that's just my inner pervert talking so eh.
Also Rex and Esther saving the day was pretty badass.

Starting this Saturday! I'm so, so excited, except then I'm going away with my family for two weeks, but I'll be living in a tent in France, so it's not like there'll be spoilers all over the place.

I sort of get you - I forget, has it actually been made clear that Jack's omnisexual? I only remember him getting it on with guys this series so far. And in CoE, actually. I sort of miss all of Torchwood being bi (according to RTD, all the original 5 were, though aside from alien possession, we don't see Gwen acting on it). I don't think Esther's been given a sexuality to speak of so far, so you could hold out hope?

Last edited:
opal: yeah I know, but I feel sort of like how Dannichu said, like RTD has tossed a few cards in there when the other writiers were doing their thing.

I don't think Esther's been given a sexuality to speak of so far, so you could hold out hope?

I think Esther may have a thing for Rex. At least that's what I've been getting from how she looks/talks to him. And in Who it was told about Jack, by the Doctor.

New Who! New Who! I've remained calm thus far but now we've hit the 24 hour countdown all hope's gone out the window. :B I am way overexcited for robot jellyfish! And also the new coat, even if it's only for Let's Kill Hitler. AND DINOSAURS I am pretty sure I saw some on the BBC trailer.

Re: Eyepatch River: maybe it's some kind of disguise? Personally I want to know if it's some kind of silly space-age accessory or whether Madam Whats-her-face has some kind of... parasite teabag under there, I don't know.

Aaaand Torchwood! Thought this week was a bit weird in Gwen going all wonky, the apparently bloodlust-ridden Italians (??), the fact that we've moved on about 12 present-day hours in the last two episodes... but I liked it for its Whoishness! The companion (cough), the you'll-die-I-won't problem, the ALIEN finally (although I admit I spent half of that conversation thinking 'please put the lid of the box back on while you tell Angelo all about how they enjoy sucking on the brains of a host'). And obviously the actual reference to the Doctor, and the Trickster and that - this series of Torchwood has kind of been drifting away from its Whoey roots so that was cool.

Re: Eyepatch River: maybe it's some kind of disguise? Personally I want to know if it's some kind of silly space-age accessory or whether Madam Whats-her-face has some kind of... parasite teabag under there, I don't know.

I think that eyepatch lady is River.... or it's some sort of group thing and River is in it... or it's a group of robots that look like that and they CONVERTED River, hence why she said last time or whatever.

I am so EXCITED for this weekend! It's gonna be the best EVER! New Torchwood and NEW WHO!

Not to mention that for us Brit's, they essentially come out on the same day.
(Since the torrents aren't really out until we're asleep~). That's a first :D

Well then.

I enjoy that, after all the hype, they in fact locked Hitler in a cupboard for a few hours. That'll learn him.

I'm still tring to work out River's timeline in my head, but doing so makes my brain hurt. If anybody finds a graphic or wants to type it all out to help me, go ahead, but from this week's episode, I don't see how it could fit in with what we know for her to be Eyepatch Lady. I actually quite like her being the teenage girl; her behaviour makes a lot more sense now. And one mystery from the previous series solved in the form of knowing who the girl in New York is.

And yaaaaaay for Rose, Donna and Martha appearances! One of my only gripes about the Moffat-era is how self-contained it is, so it's wonderful to have a reference to the (admittedly very recent) past. And the whole guilt thing was pure Ten. And I do love seeing Matt Smith comically dying. And newly-regenerated River doing her newly-regenerated Eleven impression. And I LOL'd a little at robot-as-Amy doing her shoop-de-woop thing. And the flashbacks to the kids were wonderful, poor little Rory. And teenage Rory. And my sister made us pause on the bit just as teenage Mels got sent out of the headteacher's office so we could admire Karen Gillian in her schoolgirl outfit.

And Jim from Ashes to Ashes will be in the next episode! :D Hope he's not as creepy as he is in A2A, because by the look of those monsters, it'll be plenty scary enough as it is o.o

Unrelated to the newest Who/Torchwood, but in case anbody was wondering if the Sarah Jane Smith Big Finish Audiobooks were good, I can confirm (from listening to two of them today) they are. It's quite fun, after listening to all of the Sarah Jane Adventures Audiobooks (the Sarah Jane Smith ones were made before SJA was a thing), to hear about Sarah Jane's car getting blown up, people getting shot in the head, and people (including Elisabeth Sladen) swearing. Great fun :D

Last edited:
'You're gay!' 'I'm not!' 'But you've never been interested in any girl, the whole time I've known you, you - oh.' Haha, poor old Rory. Twitterpated from day one. :p

I don't know, it was kind of a weird episode; there was an awful lot going on and they didn't really stop to examine any of it properly. I was excited for a Hitler centric, want-to-change-the-past-but-shouldn't story (though I did like that 'You saved my life!' 'Really... really didn't mean to.' bit) and it didn't really happen. The robot jellyfish were funny (why would you fill your robot clone with homocidal jellies, though) but the whole War Criminal Removal Brigade sort of got shunted out in favour of the River storyline, and all in fifty minutes ahhhh.

On the other hand, there were lots of good one liners ('Shut up, Hitler') and it sorted out the River-regeneration stuff? It was clever how the Doctor gave her the 'spoilers' line, while she was the one who gave it to him back with Tennant. Rory and Amy continue to have the weirdest relationship with their child... ever (see: met her as an adult before she was concieved, no knowledge of pregnancy, baby kidnapped, unknowingly grew up with their brainwashed daughter, parenting is tricky). References to Martha&Co, the old companions, were really cool - though the current ones didn't see them, so they still don't know they exist!

MIXED FEELINGS about the whole thing, though it doesn't help that my sister and dad are not remotely impressed with the new series (highlights of their commentary being 'this is TOO CONFUSING' and 'that was rubbish'), which is distracting. :c

Being a good little Whovian I was poking around on the BBC site after the episode aired, and was reading 'The Fourth Dimension' on the episode page - it's a little factoid section about the episode - and noticed that thoughout there were randomly italicised words. String them together and they make a little poem, presumably to do with next week's episode (kind of cool!):

When reason slept
When mothers wept
When soldiers crept
the monsters came.

Found something interesting.

As soon as Mels gets out of the Headmaster's office as a teenager, there is a poster to the right about bullying. "Break the Silence."

I noticed that too. So the Silence are a cult and not a race? That brings things into a new light, certainly. And teenage River is funny as hell. Loved the Hitler bits too, that's one way to win the war... shove Hitler in a broom closet.

And the cat people return!

And I understand the "last time" thing with River... since she gave up her regenerations. So wait is she half Time Lady or is she a full Time Lady... does she have one heart or two? And why couldn't the Doctor figure this out before... he knew the Master right away... sort of... it's kind of confusing.

though it doesn't help that my sister and dad are not remotely impressed with the new series (highlights of their commentary being 'this is TOO CONFUSING' and 'that was rubbish'), which is distracting. :c

My dad and aunt say this too, insisting that RTD was a much better writer.

And I didn't see the poster next to the headmaster's office, as I was thinking COMIC SANS too loudly to notice. (I know it's realistic since schools to use it a lot, I just have to think "THAT FONT'S NAME IS ____" whenever I recognise one)

@Phantom: One heart. She was described as Human+, so just bits of Time Lord mixed in due to Amy carrying her while in the TARDIS.

Also, I was mixed on the coat; on one hand, it's awesome. But another overcoat? They're cool and all, but not when everyone wears them.

It's true, with the coat - Sherlock, the Tenth Doctor, Jack, Mitchell from Being Human - BBC, I adore you, but your (overwhelmingly white and male) leads can wear other stuff.

Back
Top Bottom