• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Novelux Dunsmuir Duel Dome

Dave's ears perked. Matthias. So they had a name for the Greninja. That was definitely progress. As was the theory that she was sheltering in a dungeon.

"So this 'strange character', if it was a Greninja, could you tell us any more about him? What was he ostensibly doing here? You say he was snooping...?"

Dave kept an eye on the Lopunny out of the corner of his eye. That guy sure didn't seem to want them to hear more about Matthias, did he.

"A dungeon dive? What a delightfully forthright suggestion!" declared Douglas. "It certainly would indicate your strength to me somewhat. Though we do like to 'put on a show' here at the Dome, the fights are real, and our champions are genuinely extraordinary fighters."

Julius shifted, as if unsure whether to usher his boss down this path and away from the topic of Matthias. "Perhaps a more stable dungeon, sir? I couldn't recommend anything especially risky in good conscience..."

"Indeed, well, I think this dashing young lady here can handle herself, considering she's with the Rangers, Julius. Have you no juice in you, man? What about the Rustworks, they'd be a good challenge, mmno?"

Sparkwright's fan blades rattled in their fittings. "The frog, Dunsmuir? I'd like to hear more about this 'Matthias'. Don't get distracted, now."

Douglas's eyes widened, and his lesser face tightened in concentration. Julius pinched the bridge of his nose, and sighed.

"Ah, mmyes, of course!" boomed Douglas. "Could he be a Greninja, you asked? Well, he certainly fit the description. Exceptionally long tongue. Exceptional, oh yes. He, ah, said something about a federal agency, I don't know – I leave that sort of thing to my staff. Everything's very much above-board here, we don't truck with underhanded doping and rigging and other such skullduggery. Perish the damn thought. So I let him go about his business. Julius, you dealt with him, did you not? What was his business, exactly?"

Julius seemed to wither in place. "Ahkhm... Ah, well, he was on assignment from the CBI, sir. The Commonwealth Bureau of Investigation. Something about a terrorist investigation."

The same agency, in other words, that Nolan worked for when he wasn't carrying out Covenant business directly.

"My gods, man!" exclaimed Douglas. "I should hope you pulled out every stop for the lad, then. Can't be having this firebombing palaver in our city, whatever people's grievances. Vanguard connected, I'm sure. My word, you don't think he was looking for Mesa Blue, do you? That poor lass... Ah, speaking of her – she went only by her arena name, so I can't speak to her real one. However, something in my belly tells me she's sure to be that 'Brisa' girl you're looking for. She sure was a true battleheart, and definitely from the Frontier, oh yes."

Julius, his eyes closed and paws clasped, looked as if he was deep in prayer for relief from his predicament. Beside him, Sparkwright continued to listen in with naked curiosity.

Dave watched the three of them with interest. Douglas a naïve chatterbox blissfully revealing whatever, the Lopunny clearly trying to cover for Matthias and not very subtle about it, Sparkwright... on their side? At the very least he was just as interested in what'd happened to Brisa.

"The Commonwealth Bureau of Investigation, huh," he said. In other words, one of Nolan's fucking coworkers. "What all did he do here exactly? He met with her?"

Douglas's second face frowned in consternation. "Mmno, I don't believe so. The impression I got was that he didn't find what he was looking for, and then Mesa Blue heard about it later and took to nerves about it... Is that about right, Julius?"

"I... suppose so," the Lopunny muttered.

Sparkwright's fan sped up a notch. "I don't suppose this has anything to do with that... furtive fraternity of yours, does it?"

"Mmmhow do you mean? I don't see how that's relevant," replied Douglas, both faces at differing levels of puzzlement. "I pay my subscription, I get their charming little newsletter, I go to the occasional shindig. I can't venture that the CBI would take an interest, mmno?"

Julius' eyelid continued to twitch.

Last edited:
Sparkwright answered for the other two in an airy drawl.

"It's a secret society of some sort. They make regular overtures to me, seeking my membership."

He smiled coldly, as if this was beneath him.

"I am my own man," he added, "and I don't need to schmooze with people who fancy themselves remarkable based on their ancestry or origin to make a success of myself. Still, it's flattering that they keep trying."

The Covenant. They were talking about the goddamn Covenant, weren't they. And Sparkwright was not a member, while it sounded like the other two both were. He liked the Rotom more by the minute.

"Oh yeah, we've heard about something like that," Dave said. "Been approached by some recruiters ourselves. So you've all got the ancestry they're after, is what you're saying?" He looked at Sparkwright. "It sounds like you've got some ideas about how they might connect to all this."

Sparkwright's fan blades whirred at their highest RPM yet.

"Well, I really couldn't say," he murmured, faux-modestly. "But it seems to me that anyone with human ancestry gets the invitation. Repeatedly, if they're disinclined, yet remain of sufficient interest. No surprise, then, that they continue to pursue me. Through various channels, I might add..."

The ego on this Rotom was clearly considerable. Still, he had an almost oppressively singular reputation in Novelux – the techno-prophet of the entire future, the average 'mon on the street would have you believe.

"...and more to the point, I suspect this Luxio we're presently discussing is human or a descendant thereof herself, am I right? My money's on this being an elaborate impressment of sorts, even if she has committed some incidental criminality."

Impressment – meaning, forcing someone into service. How hard had the Covenant pushed Sparkwright to join them?

Douglas chuckled agreeably, not at all taken in by the inventor's grand tone. "Well, she certainly had the spark, Howie!" he affirmed. "You can't always tell for sure, but it's a rare 'mon with an aura that strong at her age, you know? We have a few like that at the Dome, they tend to be real stars. Like good old Samantha, mmno? Ah, Julius, she's in today, is she not? Would you be a sport and ask her to come on over, we could use her if we do this Rustworks thing, I'll wager!"

Julius wavered, then resigned himself to it. "As you say, sir," he muttered, making himself scarce.

Douglas watched him go, then cleared his throat, and whispered, "Julius is another descended lad, but he's got no fight in him whatsoever, I'll tell you that for free! He could battle if he put his mind to it, but he's just the worst stick-in-the-mud you'll ever meet, upon my word!"

Sparkwright raised a plasmic brow right off his metal body. "I see," he said, without interest. "Well, suffice it to say, while I've disregarded this organisation previously, I've had a growing concern that they hold my latest inventions in special interest, and have some purpose for them in mind. Consider also this business of the elusive Luxio, and I find myself calculating how much influence they mean to accrue in my city..."

"Ah, but to where did she go?" mused Sparkwright, smoothly. Prompting.

Kimiko couldn't help but shift her surprised gaze towards the rotom. Here she was wondering how to be subtle about pressing the topic, but it seemed she didn't need to. An unexpected assist, but far from an unwelcome one. But why? Was he purely a curious, gossip-y type, or was there more to his interest than that?

Julius sniffed. "Searching all the relevant dungeons would be prohibitively difficult, not to mention dangerous."
"If you're looking to dungeon dive, sir, I'm sure some of us would be happy to join in." Nova looked at the others. "Maybe it could double as an off-the-cuff audition of sorts for anyone interested? It'd, ah, have a certain authentic flair to it."
"A dungeon dive? What a delightfully forthright suggestion!" declared Douglas. "It certainly would indicate your strength to me somewhat. Though we do like to 'put on a show' here at the Dome, the fights are real, and our champions are genuinely extraordinary fighters."

"We don't doubt the authenticity of your combatants or their skills," Kimiko noted. "But of course, I imagine you'd want to make sure we could hold our own before signing us on, and this sounds like a fantastic opportunity to do just that!" Another slight glance at Julius. "I'm sure the Rustworks would be a fine proving grounds... but as we said, it's important that we find our Brisa. Is there anything more you could tell us about her that might help us... narrow down which dungeon she may be hiding in? If she really is being pursued, and is as strong as you yourself witnessed, perhaps she might have chosen one a bit more... risky?"

"...and more to the point, I suspect this Luxio we're presently discussing is human or a descendant thereof herself, am I right? My money's on this being an elaborate impressment of sorts, even if she has committed some incidental criminality."

Sparkwright continued to prove a helpful ally. "Something to that effect," she replied. "Although I suspect there's more to it than simply wanting to recruit her to their cause."

"A secret society for people related to humans? Well, guess it's not that secret." Nova chuckled to himself.

Sparkwright raised a plasmic brow right off his metal body. "I see," he said, without interest. "Well, suffice it to say, while I've disregarded this organisation previously, I've had a growing concern that they hold my latest inventions in special interest, and have some purpose for them in mind. Consider also this business of the elusive Luxio, and I find myself calculating how much influence they mean to accrue in my city..."
"What are these 'latest inventions' of yours, sir?" he asked Sparkwright. "And how hard have they, y'know, pursued you over this stuff?"

With only the lightest of prompting, the Weezing launched into an explanation concerning the recent disappearance of the ‘Blue Mesa’ – the native themed fighter Wyatt had mentioned. Apparently she’d been being stalked, a Greninja was involved, and she’d likely taken shelter deep within one of the more dangerous of the local dungeons – or at least Dunsmuir seemed to think. Archie also took note of how the Rotom and Lopunny seemed to be on opposite sides of this little discussion, the former prompting the Weezing for more while the latter searched for ways to shut the conversation down.

“Well, I’m something of a dungeon delver myself, and the local dungeons have definitely caught my interest,” the Dewott mused, “So if we’re putting together a search party, I’d be happy to tag along and lend my expertise.

He fell into thought while the conversation turned, but when the topic of secret societies came up again, he piped up again. “Seems this city’s got its fair share of secret societies. I remember Wyatt mentioning he’d been getting solicitations to join one, too.”

He glanced from the Weezing, to the Rotom, his gaze lingering briefly on the Lopunny along the way. “Somehow, I get the feeling this is more than just bored rich Pokemon with too much time on their hands.”

"A secret society for people related to humans? Well, guess it's not that secret."
“Seems this city’s got its fair share of secret societies. I remember Wyatt mentioning he’d been getting solicitations to join one, too.”
“I get the feeling this is more than just bored rich Pokemon with too much time on their hands.”

Douglas scoffed. "Oh, they want every member they can get, I'm sure. So do the unions, the churches, the papers, the political parties, and just about every other damn thing there is. Wyatt doesn't have time for that, he's got enough to do, ha!"

His lesser face frowned deeply as he looked over the group again.

"I say, how peculiar that you're all here from the western wilds, and as a plurality of humans, if I'm any judge. I wonder how came you to this great city, seeking battle and so forth?

Sparkwright remained sober on this point, caching a private thought with an electric hum.

"Curious indeed," he murmured. "Let us return to it later. Dunsmuir, they were asking about dungeons?

“Well, I’m something of a dungeon delver myself, and the local dungeons have definitely caught my interest."
"I imagine you'd want to make sure we could hold our own before signing us on, and this sounds like a fantastic opportunity to do just that! I'm sure the Rustworks would be a fine proving grounds... but as we said, it's important that we find our Brisa. Is there anything more you could tell us about her that might help us... narrow down which dungeon she may be hiding in? If she really is being pursued, and is as strong as you yourself witnessed, perhaps she might have chosen one a bit more... risky?"

"Oh, yes! Well, you'd best not underestimate the dangers of a dungeon, dear girl," puffed Douglas. "The Rustworks is a cursed dungeon, truly tragic, of course – the sort to inflict suffering upon any unprepared adventurer."

Sparkwright made a clattering sound like the clearing of a throat.

"Yes, yes, but is it the sort to provide an adequate hiding place for a fugitive pokémon, Dunsmuir?"

"Mmmmmmmno, I wouldn't say so," admitted the gentleman gasbag. "I suppose if a bright young battleheart like her were to hide somewhere... it would be in a rift not monitored by the Nations, nor an inorganic one inimicable to life. Obscure, natural, and yet profound."

Sparkwright sighed like the crackle of white noise. "Indeed. You're the rift afficionado, man, do get on with it and make your supposition."

Douglas chuckled breathily. "Well, old friend, my best guess is that she's sequestered away in Whisperwind Comb."

"Undoubtedly," Sparkwright muttered, as if he'd been expecting this conclusion. "That particular rift has a reputation for being especially labyrinthine, not to mention... psychologically taxing to explore. It is an especially profound – that is to say, deep – rift, with a great many 'floors', as dungeoneers call them. To discover a specific individual who'd secluded themself inside, one would need some means of stabilising the warren lattice..."

"What are these 'latest inventions' of yours, sir? And how hard have they, y'know, pursued you over this stuff?"

"...which brings us to the question posed by... the unusual gentlemon with the crest. And a return to the matter of the Covenant's agenda with me. For you see, I have been for some time developing just such a means, in the form of a technological apparatus that can arrest the contortions of a mystery dungeon for a time, and it is this very invention about which the Covenant's liaisons desire to intrude."

Seeing a blank face or two, the Rotom sighed.

"In other words: I have invented a device to make dungeons more stable, and this secret society clearly wants it."

The technologist eyed the party appraisingly. Cold, but without hostility – it was the scrutinising gaze of an entrepreneur, seeking opportunity.

"I shall be unveiling this device at Sparkwright Polytechnic very soon, where students and faculty alike will debut various of their inventions as part of the wider Innovation Exposition itinerary, the most laudatory to be enshrined in the Museum of Brilliance... I have reason to believe that following my insistent refusal to collaborate with the Covenant, that their agents may intend to misappropriate my invention."

Sparkwright paused, like a college lecturer looking for dozing students.

"My reason for being here today is partly to solicit security services from professional battlers who, unlike common mercenaries, won't intimidate my attendees. It is fortunate, then, that you are here, mysterious transients from the Frontier. I am well informed enough to be aware that you have yet more colleagues in Novelux, and of some of your exploits, which leads me to consider new options. To wit, I mean to purchase your services."

Douglas' second face gawped, its jaw dropping. His larger face only laughed.

"Well, then! It seems we are to work together, mmyes? One party to secure Howie's gizmo, one party to perform a search and rescue in Whisperwind Comb for Mesa Blue. How about it?"

The Weezing's boisterous, optimistic voice was hard to say no to.

"I say, how peculiar that you're all here from the western wilds, and as a plurality of humans, if I'm any judge. I wonder how came you to this great city, seeking battle and so forth?
"Not here." Nova's cheek bolts turned clockwise, then counterclockwise. "No humanity or special ancestry of anything of the sort in these old bones." He stretched a hind leg out and the joints popped.

Back
Top Bottom