• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Faorzia vs Vipera Magnifica

Also, JackPK, why did you state that Melia's Hidden Power was Ground when she hasn't used it yet?

That... would be because I'd rolled for its type before I realized the math came out to Sendrei getting KO'ed before it would be used. Sorry about that. Forget you saw it, and if she uses Hidden Power again, I'll reroll for its type.

Hmmm... Morei, this is going to hurt, but I sadistically think it's the best thing we can do.

Bide your time, girl.

you're allowed to hate me after, you and Sendrei can start a club

I said to Chill but wrote Yawn in my bolded commands, whoops. I intended to Chill, but if I get penalized for that somehow, oh well.

[size=+2]Faorzia vs Vipera Magnifica: Round Five[/size]

Format: 2 v 2
Style: Singles
DQ: One week
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKO and direct recoveries.
Arena Description: Plain Arena

A simple place for a simple battle, the open-air Plain Arena has little foreseeable restriction on what might or might not happen there. The arena is mostly soft grass over tunnelable dirt, with stones and even boulders here and there that can be summoned for Rock-type attacks. A small lake comfortable for non-gigas water-bound Pokémon shines beside the field. The place smells vaguely of abstract things like young Trainers and hope, and has no special effects on the battle.

Team Faorzia (XO)
sandshrew
Moreiality (F) the Sandshrew
<Sand Veil> During sandstorm, foes have an additional 10% accuracy drop.
███████████ 100% Health
███████████ 100% Energy
Speed: 40
Condition: Eager to avenge her comrade.
Commands: Bide x3

Team Vipera Magnifica (OO)
eevee
Melia (F) the Eevee
<Adaptability> Same-type attacks get double the STAB bonus, but other attacks cost 1.2× energy.
@Lucky Egg Gives the holder an extra experience point.
██████ 57% Health
█████ 41% Energy
Speed: 55
Status: -1 Attack, -1 Defense. Super Fang mimicked. Shielded by Reflect (1 action left).
Condition: Breathing heavily.
Commands: Super Fang / Work Up ~ YawnChill / Skull Bash ~ Fake Tears / Skull Bash

Faorzia calls back the Zigzagoon and in his place sends out Moreiality, a Sandshrew who definitely has a plan. As slow as Sandshrew are, Moreiality still gets the jump on her foe by… turning red. Melia looks at her Trainer — she’s pretty sure she knows what this attack is, and it would be a pretty bad idea to attack, right? But no, there aren’t any alternatives for this situation in her conditionals, so she pumps energy into her jaws the same way she had observed Sendrei minutes before. With crunching teeth, Melia puts a giant bite mark into the Sandshrew, but the mildly glowing energy leaves a foreboding taste in her mouth. She knows she’ll feel retribution for that attack.

But now is not the time for retribution, yet, and that Super Fang drained her of an enormous amount of energy, so Melia lies down for another quick nap as Moreiality silently looks on, still glowing. Just as the nap finishes up, the glow brightens to almost blinding, and before Melia knows it, Moreiality has leapt onto her and is punching, biting and kicking her unwaveringly. When the glow and the onslaught finally cease, Melia barely has to fake her command as tears well up in her eyes, helping her to look pathetic to put her foe’s guard down.

Team Faorzia (XO)
sandshrew
███████ 60% Health (capped)
██████ 50% Energy
Condition: Getting very tired, very quickly.
Commands used: Bide x3

eevee
Melia (F) the Eevee
<Adaptability> Same-type attacks get double the STAB bonus, but other attacks cost 1.2× energy.
██ 17% Health (capped)
9% Energy
Condition: Has been beaten within an inch of her life.
Commands used: Super Fang ~ Chill ~ Fake Tears

Unless otherwise stated, all rolls are on a scale from 001-100 where the roll must be equal or lower to the accuracy in order to hit, the effect chance in order to have an effect, or the critical hit chance to crit.

On confusion/paralysis/attraction etc. rolls, anything lower than the failure chance is a failure; anything higher lets the Pokemon use its command.

Action One
Moreiality is biding her time.

Melia uses Super Fang.
~ Super Fang has 90% accuracy. It hits with a roll of 8.

Melia’s Reflect ends.

Action Two
Moreiality is biding her time.

Melia uses Chill.

Action Three
Moreiality uses Bide.
~ Bide can neither miss nor crit.

Melia uses Fake Tears.
~ Fake Tears has 100% accuracy, so it hits without needing a roll.
~ Moreiality’s Special Defense is lowered by two stages.
For all calculations, please completely ignore all the rules you learned in school about order of operations. Everything in this section just goes left to right.

Last Round
sandshrew 100% health, 100% energy
eevee 57% health, 41% energy

Action One
Moreality is biding her time.

Melia uses Super Fang.
~ Super Fang deals half the target’s remaining health, so Moreiality takes 50% damage (capped at 40%).
~ 50% health × 0.75 = 37.5 rounded up = Melia expends 38% energy.

Melia expends 1% energy for Reflect’s upkeep.

sandshrew 60% health (capped), 100% energy
eevee 57% health, 2% energy

Action Two
Moreality is biding her time.

Melia chills.
~ Melia restores 10% energy.

sandshrew 60% health (capped), 100% energy
eevee 57% health, 12% energy

Action Three
Moreiality uses Bide.
~ Moreiality took 50% damage × 2 = Melia takes 100% damage (capped at 40%).
~ 100% health × 0.5 = Moreiality expends 50% energy.

Melia uses Fake Tears.
~ Fake Tears does not deal damage.
~ Base energy 2% × 1.2 for Adaptability = 2.4 rounded up = Melia expends 3% energy.

sandshrew 60% health (capped), 50% energy
eevee 17% health (capped), 9% energy

Arena
The Plain Arena’s ground surface has six holes now speckling the field.

Notes:
1. Speed order: Melia (55) > Moreiality (40).
2. Melia’s Reflect faded after the first action.
3. Not to worry, VM — I don’t know how other refs treat it, but I go with the post’s text as the greater priority if it conflicts with the truncated string.
4. Whew! The combination of Super Fang and Bide made for probably the single most damage- and energy-intensive round I’ve ever seen, with a total of 172 points lost (162 after Melia’s Chill is accounted for, or 242 with neither caps nor Chill accounted for).
5. The TCoD ASB league’s critical hit odds were revised to lower rates as I was writing this reffing, so I’ll be using the new ones as of next round. but per admin advice, I'll stick to the old odds unless you two both would prefer that I update?
Next round, Faorzia commands first, followed by VM.

Last edited:
Yeet. I can't promise I won't do that again, Morei, but I can try not to. For this round, mostly we'll go with Brick Breaks. If she protects or you otherwise can't hit her, just Chill a little.

Brick Break/Chill 3x

Okay Melia, it looks like you won't be able to hold on much longer. It's time to use your trump card. And by that, I mean use Trump Card.

Trump Card x3

[size=+2]Faorzia vs Vipera Magnifica: Round Six[/size]

A simple place for a simple battle, the open-air Plain Arena has little foreseeable restriction on what might or might not happen there. The arena is mostly soft grass over tunnelable dirt, with stones and even boulders here and there that can be summoned for Rock-type attacks. A small lake comfortable for non-gigas water-bound Pokémon shines beside the field. The place smells vaguely of abstract things like young Trainers and hope, and has no special effects on the battle.

Team Faorzia (XO)
sandshrew
███████ 60% Health
███████ 60% Energy
Condition: Getting very tired, very quickly.
Commands: Brick Break / Chill x3

eevee
Melia (F) the Eevee
██ 17% Health
9% Energy
Condition: Has been beaten within an inch of her life.
Commands: Trump Card x3

Melia knows this is just about it for her. But she’s not going out without a fight — it’ll be on her own terms. With determination in her heart, she gathers up all the scraps of energy she has left in her body and burns through them to transform her sheer willpower into a tangible blast of energy that knocks Moreiality backward and tumbles her to the edge of the arena. But while the Sandshrew clambers back onto the battlefield, ready for more, the Eevee has already made her last move and lies defeated.

Team Faorzia (XO)
sandshrew
███ 28% Health
███████ 60% Energy
Condition: In utter pain, but still in the game.
Commands used: None.

eevee
Melia (F) the Eevee
██ 17% Health
0% Energy
Condition: Knocked out!
Commands used: Trump Card

Unless otherwise stated, all rolls are on a scale from 001-100 where the roll must be equal or lower to the accuracy in order to hit, the effect chance in order to have an effect, or the critical hit chance to crit.

On confusion/paralysis/attraction etc. rolls, anything lower than the failure chance is a failure; anything higher lets the Pokemon use its command.

Action One
Melia uses Trump Card.
~ Trump Card cannot miss.
~ Trump Card’s critical hit domain is 1 (10%). Melia failed to crit with a roll of 75.
For all calculations, please completely ignore all the rules you learned in school about order of operations. Everything in this section just goes left to right.

Last Round
sandshrew 60% health, 50% energy
eevee 17% health, 9% energy

Action One
Melia uses Trump Card.
~ Base power 20% + 10 for STAB with Adaptability + 2 for Moreiality’s lowered Sp. Defense + 0 EXP bonus × 1 for the standard type modification = Moreiality would take 32% damage from a fully-powered attack. Moreiality takes 32% damage.
~ Base energy 10% + 5 for Adaptability’s base power boost + 1 for stats - 1 for STAB = Melia expends 15% energy.
~ Melia has only 9% energy left, so the damage she can deal is prorated to 9/15, or 3/5, of usual. 32% × 3/5 = 19.2 rounded down = Moreiality takes 19% damage.

sandshrew 28% health, 50% energy
eevee 17% health, 0% energy

Arena
The Plain Arena’s ground surface has six holes now speckling the field.

Notes:
1. Speed order: Moreiality (40) stands alone.
2. Since Melia didn’t have the amount of energy that Trump Card would have required, its damage output was correspondingly lowered.
3. Wow, when I’m sick I’m really productive. Although that’s probably also because this round was literally just one action.
EDIT: 4. VM pointed out in the Question Box a couple of points where Eifie clarified I was doing something a bit wrong. So I've corrected Trump Card here, and Moreiality also gets refunded 10 Energy because Bide last round should have been based on capped damage, not full damage.
Next round, VM sends out, then Faorzia commands, and finally VM commands.

Last edited:
Should've seen that coming, argh.

All right, Morei. Whatever happens, go first for a Sandstorm, and then Earthquake. Then try for a Chill.

Sandstorm ~ Earthquake ~ Chill

Per Eifie's guidance on questions raised by VM, Melia's Trump Card damage should not have been prorated based on her remaining energy, and Moreiality's Bide energy cost should have been based on capped damage rather than full damage.

Due to these corrections, Moreiality loses 13% health and is refunded 10% energy.

I've corrected both of these issues in the most recent reffing, so if everything looks good now, VM may re-send out if he wishes, and then Faorzia may recommand if she wishes.

I still want to use a fucking whale.

(You can give Morei that health back. I think the way you reffed it was fine, I was just asking for future reference. There's no set rules for it anyway.)

I will never get over a fucking whale's name. it's fabulous.

I'm fine with whichever calculation on health and energy, and I'd like to keep my orders the way they are.

Come on and (Heavy) Slam, and welcome to the jam!

Heavy Slam x3

I look forward to having a Wailord, it'll be even more amusing to ref. I may have to change her name to a giant fucking whale.

[size=+2]Faorzia vs Vipera Magnifica: Round Seven[/size]

Team Faorzia (XO)
sandshrew
███ 28% Health
███████ 60% Energy
Condition: In utter pain, but still in the game.
Commands: Sandstorm ~ Earthquake ~ Chill

Team Vipera Magnifica (XO)
wailmer
a fucking whale (F) the Wailmer
<Oblivious> Unaffected by Attract, Captivate and Taunt.
███████████ 100% Health
███████████ 100% Energy
Speed: 60
Condition: What is this tiny rodent?
Commands: Heavy Slam x3

Melia’s replacement is a fucking whale, which serves as both her name and description. a fucking whale positively dwarfs her foe as she enters the battlefield in the small lake off to the side, bobbing up and down as she breathes. With a splash, a fucking whale starts out by breaching into the air and landing directly atop Moreiality, practically flattening the shrew to the ground beneath her masses of blubber before rolling back to the water. In response, Moreiality looks to the sky and, with a sharp cry, summons a howling wind that quickly kicks up enough dirt and dust to be a full-fledged sandstorm.

Being buffeted by the storm doesn’t please a fucking whale, not one bit. WIth Ahabian fury in her heart, she again launches herself out of the water and onto Moreiality, striking precisely despite the Sandshrew’s camouflaged scales blending in with the sandstorm. Before a fucking whale can roll all the way back into the water, however, Moreiality leaps into the air and comes down with surprising heft, triggering a sizeable earthquake that tosses a fucking whale up and down on the craggy shore.

Even that wasn’t enough to put a dent in a fucking whale’s persistence, however, and Moreiality is displeased to find that the last thing she sees before fainting is the whale’s massive body falling from above, seeming to grow ever larger as it plummets to the ground...

Team Faorzia (XX)
sandshrew
0% Health
██████ 51% Energy
Condition: Knocked out!
Commands used: Sandstorm ~ Earthquake

Team Vipera Magnifica (XO)
wailmer
a fucking whale (F) the Wailmer
<Oblivious> Unaffected by Attract, Captivate and Taunt.
█████████ 86% Health
████████ 79% Energy
Speed: 60
Condition: In another life, wondering whether the ground will be friends with her.
Commands used: Heavy Slam x3

Action One
a fucking whale uses Heavy Slam.
~ Heavy Slam has 100% accuracy, so it hits without needing a roll.
~ Heavy Slam’s critical hit domain is 1 (10%). a fucking whale failed to crit with a roll of 56.

Moreiality uses Sandstorm.
~ A sandstorm brewed.

~ A sandstorm is raging. It will last nine more actions.

Action Two
~ Heavy Slam has 90% accuracy. It hits with a roll of 19.
~ Heavy Slam’s critical hit domain is 1 (10%). a fucking whale failed to crit with a roll of 37.

Moreiality uses Earthquake.
~ Earthquake has 100% accuracy, so it hits without needing a roll.
~ Earthquake’s critical hit domain is 1 (10%). Moreiality failed to crit with a roll of 33.

~ A sandstorm is raging. It will last eight more actions.

Action Three
~ Heavy Slam has 90% accuracy. It hits with a roll of 10.
~ Heavy Slam’s critical hit domain is 1 (10%). a fucking whale failed to crit with a roll of 55.

~ A sandstorm is raging. It will last seven more actions.

Last Round
sandshrew 28% health, 60% energy

Action One
~ Base power 12% + no bonus because not STAB + 0 for stat changes + 0 EXP bonus × 1 for the standard type modification = Moreiality takes 12% damage.
~ Base energy 7% = a fucking whale expends 7% energy.

Moreiality uses Sandstorm.
~ Sandstorm does not deal damage.
~ Base energy 5% = Moreiality expends 5% energy.

a fucking whale is buffeted by the sandstorm. She takes 1% damage.

sandshrew 16% health, 55% energy
wailmer 99% health, 93% energy

Action Two
~ Base power 12% + no bonus because not STAB + 0 for stat changes + 0 EXP bonus × 1 for the standard type modification = Moreiality takes 12% damage.

Moreiality uses Earthquake.
~ Base power 10% + 2.5 for STAB + 0 for stat changes + 0 EXP bonus × 1 for the standard type modification = 12.5 rounded down = a fucking whale takes 12% damage.
~ Base energy 5% - 1 for STAB = Moreiality expends 4% energy.

a fucking whale is buffeted by the sandstorm. She takes 1% damage.

sandshrew 4% health, 51% energy
wailmer 86% health, 86% energy

Action Three

sandshrew 0% health, 51% energy
wailmer 86% health, 79% energy

Arena
The Plain Arena’s ground surface has six holes now speckling the field. A sandstorm is raging (7 more actions).

Notes:
1. Speed order: a fucking whale (60) > Moreiality (40).
2. a fucking whale is more than 10 times Moreiality’s weight (12 kg to 130 kg), so her Heavy Slam was at maximum power.
3. a fucking whale knocked out Moreiality on the third action. Good game, both of you, and I’m very sorry for the hiccups on the reffing side of things!

Prizes:
  • Vipera Magnifica gets $16 for winning. Melia and a fucking whale each get 3 EXP (one for sendout, one for Lucky Egg, one for defeating their foe).
  • Faorzia gets $8. Sendrei gets 1 EXP (for sendout), and Moreiality gets 2 EXP (one for sendout, one for defeating Melia).
  • I get $10 for refereeing, plus a $15 bonus for reffing Faorzia’s first battle all the way through.

This is the first battle I’ve finished reffing all the way through, so after posting this I’ll go into the database and see about figuring out how to make it give out prizes!

Wheww! That was actually kinda fun! I seriously wonder if my Pokémon think the same, does Team Plasma have it right, dun dun dunnn Hey, good game, VM, and nice reffing, Jack~

(and seriously, your footwork was inspiring, Melia, not gonna forget you)

That was fun! You fought well Faorzia; I'm sorry the RNG was so mean to you for your first battle. And thanks for reffing, Jack!

Melia, you are a BEAST. I'm glad to see the High Entia are in good hands.

Back
Top Bottom