• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Feedback wanted: Style requests

Butterfree

Still loves Joltik, though!
Staff member
Heartache staff
Pronoun
she/her
I’ve already made a couple of main site styles for the forums (you can switch in the bottom left of the page), but there are a bunch more, and probably style elements that could be different. This is a catch-all thread for style feedback. Anything bothering you about the current styles? Hoping for a forum version of one particular main site style? Post here with your requests and I’ll prioritize accordingly.

Last edited:
celebi style is my favorite! it's sort of in the middle as far as light/dark goes, so maybe that would be a good one to add. :D

something i noticed earlier is that links are kind of hard to see on roar of time style. definitely not impossible, but they're similar enough to regular text that my eyes might pass over them if i was skimming. i'm not sure what to suggest to fix that though—maybe if they were blue instead? something like this? also, i mentioned this to you in chat but text highlighting in the reply box is kinda hard to see.

edit: some of the text on the reddit embed in this post is kind of hard to see, the title at the top and subreddit name at the bottom in particular.

Last edited:
I'd like Scyther Slash! I'd probably also be happy with Celebi instead. (Or you could do both!)

Another vote for Celebi/Voice of the Forest over here!

Not technically a style thing, but personally I would rather have the auto-smilies turned off.

Not technically a style thing, but personally I would rather have the auto-smilies turned off.

I couldn't find an option to turn off auto-smilies when writing a single post (like I think vBulletin used to have on the Go advanced page), or even an account setting to turn off smilies site-wide, so yeah, would like to see something related to this!

Aww yiss, the best style returns! Thank you!

Only things I would say are that I'm not in love with the blue as an accent for quotes... it looks fine against the lighter green background used for the main post body, but I think kind of gross against the darker/duller green inside quotes. Maybe try using the dark green used for e.g. the "Post reply" button there instead of blue?

Also, the pinned menu at the top looks a bit odd to me when it scrolls over a text-heavy area, since "What's new," "Members," etc. gets a bit lost against the text underneath. Maybe bump up the opacity on the background for that menu a little?

The bright blue also looks kinda weird on the pagination, imo. Maybe keep the dark green number and do white background and also dark green for the outline?

Last edited:
I can’t actually find where you edit the colors for the pagination in particular, unfortunately. Have you found it?

I’ve edited the menu to be more opaque and the quote border/header color, though.

I made this same request on the old forums in 2008 or something, I think, but I'll make it again here. I would love Bouncy Mew Style! Pink is my favorite color, I adore it, and I often use pink for stuff when it's available (my desktop and Chrome theme have had pink for... a while). My other request, which I'll toss in here even though I know it's unlikely to actually happen, would be remade versions of really old styles (Shiny Umbreon and stuff like that). Don't mind me, I just love my TCoD/Pokémon fan site-related childhood memories. A lot.

yay, Celebi style is back!

As well as the stuff Negrek mentioned, the "New" icon on new posts looks a little odd to me. It's a bright electric blue - not unpleasant, but it kinda stands out against all the green.

Also thirding the request for a way to turn off the automatic emoji. Dunno why, but they seem a lot less expressive than text-based emoticons. :c

I absolutely want to turn them off, automatic emoji replacing text emoticons is the wooooorst. I haven't actually found an option for it, but I guess maybe the solution is just to remove all the smilie definitions.

wrt page number styles: Unfortunately this is another one that I think you have to do through CSS, or at least I couldn't figure it out using the built-in style options, and also it was kind of a mess (page numbers looked funky for a while before I got things sorted). This is everything I ended up redefining:

Code:
.pageNavSimple-el-jump {background-color: rgb(250, 242, 244); color: #e01d4b; border-color: rgb(203, 203, 203);}
.pageNavSimple-el-jump:hover, .pageNav-jump:focus, .pageNav-jump:active {background-color: #faf2f4; border-color: #e01d4b;}

.pageNavSimple-el {background: rgb(250, 242, 244) !important; color: #e01d4b; border-color: rgb(203, 203, 203);}
.pageNavSimple-el:hover, .pageNavSimple-el:focus {background-color: #faf2f4; border-color: #e01d4b;}
.pageNavSimple-el--current {background-color: #e01d4b !important; color: #f9f9f9 !important; border-color: #e01d4b !important;}
.pageNavSimple-el--next {background: linear-gradient(0deg #faf2f4 #f9f9f9); color: #e01d4b !important; border-color: rgb(203, 203, 203);}
.pageNavSimple-el--prev {background: linear-gradient(0deg #faf2f4 #f9f9f9); color: #e01d4b !important; border-color: rgb(203, 203, 203);}

.pageNavSimple-el--first {background: transparent !important; color: #e01d4b !important;}
.pageNavSimple-el--first:hover, .pageNavSimple-el--first:focus, .pageNavSimple-el--first:active {border-color: transparent !important;}
.pageNavSimple-el--last {background: transparent !important; color: #e01d4b !important;}
.pageNavSimple-el--last:hover, .pageNavSimple-el--last:focus, .pageNavSimple-el--last:active {border-color: transparent !important;}

.pageNav-jump {background: #f9f9f9; color: #e01d4b; border-color: rgb(203, 203, 203);}
.pageNav-jump:hover, .pageNav-jump:focus, .pageNav-jump:active {background-color: #faf2f4; border-color: #e01d4b;}

.pageNav-page {background: #f9f9f9; color: #e01d4b; border-color: rgb(203, 203, 203);}
.pageNav-page:hover, .pageNav-page:focus {background-color: #faf2f4; border-color: #e01d4b;}
.pageNav-page:first-child:hover, .pageNav-page:first-child:focus, .pageNav-page:first-child:active {border-right-color: #e01d4b; border-top-color: #e01d4b; border-bottom-color: #e01d4b;}
.pageNav-page.pageNav-page--current + .pageNav-page {border-left: 1px solid transparent;}
.pageNav-page:not(:last-child) {border-right: 1px solid transparent;}
.pageNav-page:not(:last-child):hover {border: 1px solid #e01d4b;}
.pageNav-page--current {background-color: #e01d4b !important; color: #f9f9f9 !important; border-color: #e01d4b !important;}

wrt smilies: Yes, what I did was redefine the smilies so that people who want to use them can still get them by typing :yay: or whatever but they're no longer synned to the classic smiley definitions.

How's Voice of the Forest looking now?

EDIT: Added Bouncy Mew as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom