• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

French verb forms?

Minkow

currently needs more sleep
Not sure if this belongs here. If it doesn't, mods, just delete.

Right, so I've been having a lot of difficulty with some French verbs. I've been given the infinitive verb for a sentence (J'aime parler au téléphone) but I need to change the verb form.
I know that for Je or J', the form should be parle, and for tu/vous, it should be parles. The problem here is the forms needed for il, elle, nous, and vous (plural form), ils, and elles.
I know that the form of the verb will change with the subject or the subject pronoun. I just have a bit of a problem sorting out the different types of parler.
I'm sure that something (I think ils or elles) is going to be parlent, but I'm still a bit uncertain, after studying the language for only about 2 months, plus a bit I picked up in Canada this summer. I'm sure this is really easy for all you French speakers, but explaining what suffixes go with what pronouns would be really helpful! Thank you!

You're doing the present tense, right?

Je parle
Tu parles
Il/Elle parle
Nous parlons
Vous parlez
Ils/Elles parlent

Most of them! Some of them are irregular (like aller), but those endings (-e, -es, -e, -ons, -ez, -ent) will apply to most -er verbs.

Okay, thanks!
...aller is among the lines of "go (to a certain place)?"
"Aller" is "to go", more accurately. Cognate to the Castilian "Ir", if you've taken any Spanish.
If you're taking a class in French, though, I'm sure that you'll be taught the nuances of verbs such as "aller" all in due time.

Yeah, Aller is just 'to go'. Not a certain place! Anywhere! If you're interested, it conjugates as so!

Je vais
Tu vas
Il/elle/on va
Nous allons
Vous allez
Ils/elles vont

If, however, you are talking about a certain place (which has been mentioned earlier in the sentence/s or whatever), you'd probably use 'y' to mean 'here/there', so it becomes "J'y vais", "Tu y vas" etc.

Yeah I'll be quiet now.

Wow, French... brings back memories. I took that as my language in college, a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away, but I've forgotten almost everything by now...

Back
Top Bottom