• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Interesting facts you know

Termites are monogomous
Woodlice are crustations (like crabs)
Water bears can go into suspended animation
All languages develope names for colour in the same order:
Black and White, Red, Yellow or Green followed by the other, Blue, Brown.
Many languages split colour differently
Welsh has no word for brown
Santa's reindeer were all girls.
The Guillotine was invented in Halifax, Yorkshire, England

Last edited:
Hitler originally wanted to be a professional artist.

3 Musketeers bars used to be three different flavors.

Charley from Phoenix Wright is a Cordyline stricta, pal!

In Japan, 'go' traffic lights are called blue.

I have a good one.

If a woodchuck chucked as much wood as it could chuck then it would chuck too much wood.

:P

Earth's axis wobbles every 26,000 years. The pole star of the future is Vega.

The North and South poles occasionaly flip, making north south and south north.

If Earth had a 0 degree axis (much like Jupiter, which has a very tiny tilt) then there would be no seasons, all days would have 12 hours of day, 12 hours of night, bears wouldn't know when to hibernate, trees wouldn't know when to lose their leaves, and fashion wouldn't know when to change.

The North and South poles occasionaly flip, making north south and south north.

You mean the magnetic field flips. If the actual physical poles flipped bad things would happen.

The "Welsh has no word for brown" one might be, I heard it in The QI Book Of General Ignorance.

My source is, iirc, Unweaving the Rainbow which, as awesome as QI is, is probably a more trustworthy source.

I'm almost certain both of these are false.

Both of them are from QI, which has a whole lot of stuff which is strange, but all true. The differenc colour divisions is based on say:
Green to mid-blue = colour 1
Mid-Blue to brown = colour 2
(It's really my generalisation)

The other is true, although there was a word which covered some of brown; it also covered part of grey.

QI does reserch and tend to find the things that 'reliable sources' get wrong. Of course without knowing anything about your source I can't comment furthur.

I looked at the QI forums and even that wasn't totally clear, so I'm just going to trust you.

One thing though: The word for brown is the same as what?

I have something that's somewhat relevant to the topic. It basically disproves the possible existence of Santa Claus:

No known species of reindeer can fly. BUT there are 300,000 species of living organisms yet to be classified, and while most of these are insects and germs, this does not COMPLETELY rule out flying reindeer which only Santa has ever seen.

There are 2 billion children (persons under 18) in the world. BUT since Santa doesn't APPEAR to handle the Muslim, Hindu, Jewish and Buddhist children, that reduces the workload to 15% of the total - 378 million according to the Population Reference Bureau. At an average (census) rate of 3.5 children per household, that's 91.8 million homes. One presumes there's at least one good child in each.

Santa has 31 hours of Christmas to work with, thanks to the different time zones and the rotation of the earth, assuming he travels east to west (which seems logical). This works out to 822.6 visits per second. This is to say that for each Christian household with good children, Santa has 1/1000th of a second to park, hop out of the sleigh, jump down the chimney, fill the stockings, distribute the remaining presents under the tree, eat whatever snacks have been left, get back up the chimney, get back into the sleigh and move on to the next house. Assuming that each of these 91.8 millions stops are evenly distributed around the earth (which, of course, we know to be false but for the purposes of our calculations we will accept), we are now talking about .78 miles per household, a total trip of 75-1/2 million miles, not counting stops to do what most of us must do at least once every 31 hours, plus feeding and etc.

This means that Santa's sleigh is moving at 650 miles per second, 3,000 times the speed of sound. For purposes of comparison, the fastest man-made vehicle on earth, the Ulysses space probe, moves at a poky 27.4 miles per second - a conventional reindeer can run, tops, 15 miles per hour.

The payload on the sleigh adds another interesting element. Assuming that each child gets nothing more than a medium-sized lego set (2 pounds), the sleigh is carrying 321,300 tons, not counting Santa, who is invariably described as overweight. On land, conventional reindeer can pull no more than 300 pounds. Even granting that "flying reindeer" (see point #1) could pull TEN TIMES the normal amount, we cannot do the job with eight, or even nine. We need 214,200 reindeer. This increases the payload - not even counting the weight of the sleigh - to 353,430 tons. Again, for comparison - this is four times the weight of the Queen Elizabeth Cunard Liner.

353,000 tons traveling at 650 miles per second creates enormous air resistance - this will heat the reindeer up in the same fashion as spacecraft re-entering the earth's atmosphere. The lead pair of reindeer will absorb 14.3 QUINTILLION (14,300,000,000,000,000,000) joules of energy. Per second. Each. In short, they will burst into flame almost instantaneously, exposing the reindeer behind them, and create deafening sonic booms in their wake. The entire reindeer team will be vaporized within 4.26 thousandths of a second. Santa, meanwhile, will be subjected to centrifugal forces 17,500.06 times greater than gravity. A 250-pound Santa (which seems ludicrously slim) would be pinned to the back of his sleigh by 4,315,015 pounds of force.

In conclusion, if Santa ever DID exist, he's dead now. Merry Christmas, everyone.

No, I think the OP means it was manufactured on earth

also an interesting fact I know about opal is that when I met him the lazy git had forgotten to wash his hair when I hadn't!

and that Kromhoutweg is a bitch to pronounce if you havent taken Dutch classes

Today I learned this at the computer repair shop.

Norton internet security slows down your computer 35%.

Also, did you know that there is something called Open Office? If you are too cheap to buy Microsoft Office for a ton of money, download Open Office for free. I think it is just as good as Microsoft Office.

open office sucks less

Male sharks do not have penes. Sharks have claspers (two of 'm, even) which serve the same purpose.

Hammerhead sharks have been known to reproduce asexually in the absence of a male.

The ocean sunfish (Mola mola) is the largest bony fish, reaching about ten feet long and about 2000 lbs. They were first kept in aquariums in the 1980s.

Ducklings do not produce their own oils for their feathers: instead, they get it from their mothers. Without those oils, their feathers will absorb water easily and they can be at risk for drowning.

Bettas (also known as siamese fighting fish) are a type of labyrinthine fish, so-called because of their lung-like structures instead of gills.

Poison dart frogs are only poisonous if they have recently eaten ants that have consumed certain plants. After about three months of being in captivity, wild-caught dart frogs are usually safe to handle. However, please refrain from getting wild-caught animals if it is at all possible as they are not only less healthy than their captive-bred breathren but they were also usually obtained illegally.

Ball pythons can grow to be about three to four feet long and can live to be about fifty years old.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom