• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Israel's ban on underweight models

Datura

actually a very nice person
New Israeli Law Bans Underweight Models In Ads, Undisclosed Airbrushing
JERUSALEM — Told she was too fat to be a model, Danielle Segal shed a quarter of her weight and was hospitalized twice for malnutrition. Now that a new Israeli law prohibits the employment of underweight models, the 19-year-old must gain some of it back if she wants to work again.

Not that she was ever overweight. At 1.7 meters (5-feet-7), she weighed 53 kilograms (116 pounds) to begin with. Feeling pressure to become ever thinner, she dropped another 13 kilograms (29 pounds). The unnaturally skeletal girl weighed 40 kilograms (88 pounds) by then, or about as much as a robust pre-teen, and her health suffered.

The legislation passed Monday aims to put a stop to the extremes, and by extension ease the pressure on youngsters to emulate the skin-and-bones models, often resulting in dangerous eating disorders.

The new law poses a groundbreaking challenge to a fashion industry widely castigated for promoting anorexia and bulimia. Its sponsors say it could become an example for other countries grappling with the spread of the life-threatening disorders.

It's especially important in Israel, which, like other countries, is obsessed by models, whose every utterance and dalliance is fodder for large pictures and racy stories in the nation's newspapers. Supermodel Bar Refaeli is considered a national hero by many. She is not unnaturally thin.

The new law requires models to produce a medical report no older than three months at every shoot for the Israeli market, stating that they are not malnourished by World Health Organization standards.

The U.N. agency relies on the body mass index, calculated by factors of weight and height. WHO says a body mass index below 18.5 indicates malnutrition. According to that standard, a woman 1.72 meters tall (5-feet-8) should weigh no less than 119 pounds (54 kilograms).

Also, any advertisement published for the Israeli market must have a clearly written notice disclosing if its models were made to look thinner by digital manipulation. The law does not apply to foreign publications sold in Israel.

In Israel, about 2 percent of girls between 14 and 18 have severe eating disorders, a rate similar to other developed countries, experts said.
I know gender and being body-positive are two subjects near and dear to this forum's heart, so I wanted to see the general reaction to this ban. On one hand, I think the intention behind the bill is good—stopping the promotion of malnourishment, great! On the other, I'm not sure how comfortable I am with a government telling women that they need a certain BMI in order to work. I'm not pro-ana by any means, but some women are just... thin. And it doesn't feel very "body-positive" to discard them completely! I'm conflicted.

Critics say the legislation should have focused on health, not weight, arguing that many models are naturally thin.

Yeeeeah why are they placing so much trust in BMIs.

Feels more like it's just control of advertising! I mean, I'm reluctant to dismiss anything as not still being shitty to women in another form, but. It feels like if it has to be one way or the other, they should just refine this.

I definitely agree with the intention of the legislation although I think it wasn't implemented in the best way.

Hrm. It sounds like something that was started with great intentions and then ended up being done in the wrong way just to get it done. It's a step in the right direction in that it's bringing attention to the issue, although that could fuck up as well ('we fixed it! no need to pay attention anymore!'), but it's really a small step overall.

I think the bigger issue is not photoshopping the models. I mean, touch-ups are okay, but altering their actual bodies is just grossly wrong and no one can actually justify that? The moment you have fake people on advertisements, no one can ever reach that goal, literally. It's just saying 'people aren't good enough, let's use computers', which... is... more than sad.

Back
Top Bottom