• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Lilypad Vs allitersonance

Noctowl

Everyone call me elf monster.
2vs2 Single
DQ: One week
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned Moves: None
Terrain: ASB Central Stadium

Although designed to be a state-of-the-art battling facility and located at the very heart of ASB Central's battle district, ASB Central Stadium actually sees very little use. Most battlers prefer the infinite variety of the holodrome's simulated arenas to the basic, if impressive, stadium field, and official tournaments tend to feature tours of other regions rather than a homefield brawl. There is one advantage to the stadium, though--its proximity to the holodrome grants it access to a full range of simulation options, allowing trainers to trick out their team to whatever extent they like before battling.

There's nothing much to say about the battlefield: it's a large, rectangular arena covered in astroturf. A circular pool will open in its center if a Pokémon requiring water to move around in is sent out. In this arena, Pokémon can summon absolutely anything they need for their attacks: tidal waves, boulders, and so on are in ready supply.

Other: This battle takes place between a referee and one other member. The referee will use their own team of Pokémon, but the other battler may choose either to use their own team OR choose any six nonlegendary Pokémon with any items and abilities to use for this fight. In the former case, their Pokémon gain experience as normal. In the latter case, they may choose to apply the experience earned by their rental Pokémon, minus one point, to their team in any manner that they choose.

This is a switch battle. :)

Lilypad's active squad:
combeeBumblethree (f) Combee [Honey gather]
poochyena闇 (Yami) (m) Poochyena [Quick feet]
cyndaquilCyndarella (f) Cyndaquil [Blaze] Holding a charcoal.
meowthRex (m) Meowth [technician]
mareepMabus (m) Mareep [Static]
luvdiscCorpolub (f) Luvdisc [Hydration]
furfrouPrince (m) Furfrou [Fur coat]

allitersonance's active squad:
abraMewtwo (m) Abra [Synchronise] Holding a lucky egg.
ZoruaNeedle (f) Zorua [illusion] Holding a lucky egg.
DratiniSock (m) Dratini [Shed skin] Holding a lucky egg.
croagunkJuliette (f) Croagunk [Anticipation] Holding an expert belt.
froakieGekota (m) Froakie [Protean] Holding a lucky egg.
raltsRyouko (f) Ralts [Synchronize] Holding a lucky egg.

The flipping of the coin demands that:

allitersonance sends out first
Lilypad then sends out and commands
allitersonance then commands
and I ref after cooking all these eggs.

Last edited:
Re: Lillypad Vs allitersonance

No default has been set for test battles yet, but this should be a switch battle.

I'll start with Juliette the croagunk.

Small thing - my Prince is wearing a Silk Scarf.

Also, I'd bet my boots that's a Zorua!

Cynderella, let's test that theory. Set up a Sunny Day, but if you're taunted, go for a Flame Charge. Next, give her a Will-o-Wisp, and a Flame Burst if you're taunted. Next, if she's a Zorua (gasp!) and you know it, go for Double Kick, otherwise Double Team for everything else or Flame Charge if taunted.

Sunny Day/Flame Charge~Will-o-Wisp/Flame Burst~Double Kick/Flame Charge/Double Team

I don't want your boots, they probably smell ; ;

No need to keep up the lack of illusion, Juliette, so let's start with a medium substitute. Then bulldoze and rain dance.

Substitute (medium) ~ Bulldoze ~ Rain Dance

Incidentally, the battle has been put in the database for you so normally you should link it... but, cough, I changed my party after this thread started but before the battle was entered into it. Changing that is going to matter when it comes to exp. None of your concern for now, though, Noctowl. (But, mods, I've set up my party to match the initial conditions of this match.)

It was a quiet day in the ASB central stadium. No one really visited the old place anymore, except for those who tested the new referees. The new ref in question was sitting on the edge of the rectangle, waiting for the two opponents to appear. When allitersonance and Lilypad finally arived, the ref made a little squeak, and waved a flag nervously. Allitersonance smiled as they threw their Pokemon, releasing a small frog, who chittered a little and looked up at the sky. Lilypad looked at the Croagunk thoughtfully, and then threw her own Pokeball. The Cyndaquil who was inside sniffed the air, and then tilted her head at the opponent.

Round 1

allitersonance
Croagunk
Juliette (F) Anticipation (expert belt)
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Commands: Substitute~Bulldoze~Rain dance

Lilypad
cyndaquil
Cyndarella (F) Blaze (charcoal)
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Commands: Sunny day~ Will-o-wisp~Double team

Cyndarella looks at her opponent curiously. Her trainer said it was a Zoura...it must be one! Her eyes widened. She had better make this battle count then! She looked to the sky and began to chant, sacred words escaping from her mouth and turning into hot air. The Gods listened to her plea for hot weather, and soon the arena became incredibly warm.

Juilette was not happy with these turn of events. She was used t the warm and damp of the swamps in Sinnoh. She knew that she would probably take a fire attack to the face at some point, and she did not want to face that right now. She blew up a cloud of dust, and using her life force, shaped it into another mini Croagunk. She smiled at her work; this should keep any nasty attacks away.

Cyndarella looked at her trainer with a puzzled look. Which one was she supposed to aim these flames at? Was this a trick? She spat out small flames regardless, only to watch the doppelgänger jump in the way, almost like how a goalie jumps into the ball. The flames bounce off the dusty doppelgänger harmlessly, and Cyndarella curses the ground the frog steps on. The Croagunk charges forward suddenly, and then stomps on the ground, sending it shaking a little. Cyndrella gave a little squeak as she trips over, bumping her soft body against the ground several times before being able to right herself.

The Cyndaquil shudders. She does not want to be hit by one of those again! She dashes around, slightly slower than normal due to her bruised legs, and manages to make four clones of herself. She looks at them proudly, and then over to the frog, who is doing some chanting of her own. She then begins to dance, clapping her hands as several grey clouds gather in the sky. There is a rumble of thunder, and then suddenly it begins to rain! Cyndarella squeaks as she tries to dodge the rain drops, her flames flickering in protest at the weather. Unfortunately, the clones are not so lucky, as the rain causes them to flicker out of existence.

allitersonance
Croagunk
Health: 85% (substitute: 15% hp)
Energy: 83%
Commands: Substitute~Bulldoze~Rain dance

Lilypad
cyndaquil
Cyndarella (F) Blaze (charcoal)
Health: 89%
Energy: 90%
Status: That horrible, not nice cheating little... -1 speed
Commands: Sunny day~ Will-o-wisp~Double team

Notes:
Cynadquil out speeds Croagunk (60>50)
It is raining (8 actions remaining)
I took 'average speed' in the description for double team to be the median. I am not too sure how double team works in relation to speed, so if I am wrong let me know.
In terms of lowering speed, I have 5 speed taken off every time speed is lowered. Hope that is ok.
Rain dance removes clones, right? I have seen it in some reffings.
Sorry about the database, I think I added it too late and messed it up. :/

Cyndaquil's sprite isn't working and I dont know why.

Allitersonance to command.

Calculations:

Sunny day: 5% energy
Will-o-wisp:3% energy
Double team: 4 clones: 4 energy.

Substitute: 15% health 8% energy
Bulldoze: 11% damage 4% energy
Rain dance: 5% energy

Last edited:
The bottom one is two l's. Also, make sure there's not any space between spritetagthingy]Cyndaquil[/spritetagthingy. Spaces will make it not work.

±10 points of speed is standard for every stage, some refs do ±15 to make speed stages more impactful. Rain dance destroys clones, yes - the principle is that, if anything either damages or hits only the user, all clones are destroyed, and if anything goes through a clone, that clone is destroyed. It includes rain. Make sure to include things like stat changes in the end stats summary.

cyndaquil
...works for me. In general, you should look over your post for misspellings and the like which will usually solve problems with forum bbcode. You misspelled zorua too, and consistently misspell Cynderella wait no that's Lilypad who's doing that.

At 60 speed four clones is fine, since it hasn't been standardised yet. I do one clone minimum, then another clone for every 15 points of speed the user has, but different refs might have slightly different scales.

Hm, do ref examinees add it themselves? I guess you can just redo it, then, as long as Lilypad hasn't changed her team; close the battle as a tie before anything happened, then re-input the battle and proceed as normal.

There aren't really specific requirements for the prose of reffing as long as it's clear, but in your descriptions you should always keep in mind what each move does and how it'll interact with the arena. If you describe rain falling from the sky, you've implicitly decided that this is an open-roof stadium, for example; at some point you'll probably ref a more standard indoors battle. Sunny day could be better described by actually mentioning the sun. Will-o-wisp looks more like a small ghostly blue fireball. You can click through on any move name to see the full description of what it looks like.

You should also keep basic writing rules in mind. Decide whether you're going to use past or present tense for the battle and stick with it.

Sunny day and will-o-wisp should cost 1% less energy under the DEG due to STAB (and if you're deliberately deviating from the DEG for ideological reasons you should be justifying it in your post). The DEG also reduces damage for anti-STAB, although I and many refs do not.

Be aware that I might poke you to justify calculations at any time. A ref uses a calculator as a time-saver, not as a replacement for understanding the math.

--

Anyway, Juliette, that round went precisely as we expected. So, let's focus punch until the action after your substitute is destroyed, at which point, toxic. If toxic has already poisoned the cyndaquil, or if she's underground, bulldoze.

Focus Punch ~ Focus Punch / Toxic ~ Focus Punch / Toxic / Bulldoze

Last edited:
*quietly edits Cyndarellas name in the dB*

What, me? Spell my own pokemon's name wrong? Never.

Besides Cynderella makes more sense.

Remember, Cynderella? That was always your name!

Okay commands time.

Dangit! I was wrong, it's probably not a Zorua.

But Idea!

We're going to Rest, and then spam Sleep Talk. That should make you feel better!

Rest~Sleep Talk~Sleep Talk

Round 2

allitersonance
Croagunk
Energy: 83%
Commands: Focus punch~Focus punch~Focus punch

Lilypad
cyndaquil
Cynderella (F) Blaze (charcoal)
Health: 89%
Energy: 90%
Status: That horrible, not nice cheating little... -1 speed
Commands: Rest~ Sleep talk~Sleep talk

Cynderella lay down and closed her eyes, healing energy surrounding her. Several snoring sounds sounded from her tiny mouth, while the Croagunk watched carefully. Juliette's arm glowed brightly with an intense fighting energy, and she laughed a little as she smacked her fist against the Cyndaquil's face, the impact throwing the Pokemon back several feet.

The Cyndaquil mumbled to herself nervously. The mumbling continued, turning into chanting as the sun rose above the clouds. The rain that was pouring over the arena slowed and then stopped. Juliette was not happy with the turn of events, and retaliated by punching the Cyndaquil yet again. Cyndarella gave out a little squeak, but did not move, still sound asleep. Her mouth suddenly opened after a few moments of mumbling, and out burst an intense blue flame. The flame floated towards Juliette, but yet again was blocked by the substitute, who laughed along with Juliette as another punch was sent Cyndarella's way.

allitersonance
Croagunk
Energy: 59%
Commands: Focus punch~Focus punch~Focus punch

Lilypad
cyndaquil
Health: 60 (capped)%
Energy: 77%
Commands: Rest~ Sleep talk(sunny day)~Sleep talk(will-o-wisp)

Notes:

It is sunny (8 actions remaining)
The database description for rest isn't particularly clear on how it works. So I have done it like this: The Pokemon is forced to sleep for 3 actions, and the energy cost is half the health it has gained. Probably not right but there we go.

This is quite short, I am sorry about that.
Lilypad to command next.

Calculations:
Focus punch: 18%
Energy: 8%

Rest (healed 11%, cost 6% energy)
Sunny day: 4% energy
Will-o-wisp: 3% energy

Last edited:
I'll give more in-depth critique when it's my turn to post commands, but for now, in a test battle you should always be showing the damage and energy associated with each action.

When a pokemon's damage taken would have exceeded the damage cap, this is always indicated, e.g. "Health: 60% (capped)".

Rest's three-action duration includes the action that rest was used on. Cyndaquil should be waking up in time to move next action. This is can be indicated by something like "resting (0 more actions)" or by having her wake up at the end of this round.

Last edited:
Ah, I will add my calcs back then. I remember adding them in my last ref test battle and being told not to I think.

Damage inflicted? I don't quite understand this. Since rest happened before focus punch, I gathered that I would just be taking 40% off, as the damage in total I got from the three focus punches was over 40%. I have edited it, anyway.

No, 40% taken off is correct, my brain just had a circuit flipped wrong.

Anyway, I also wanted to know how you were doing rest, but in any case, generally it's that 1/3 of the total health to be regained is healed over each action, rather than all at once; some refs choose to heal the whole thing on the first action though. Energy is lost on the same action that the health is regained.

Yeah, I was intending for it to go punch-rest heals 1/3-punch-rest heals 1/3-punch-rest heals 1/3, so it would heal most of the damage.

Ah, no, that's not how it works. The amount of health you had when you used the move rest is what is used to calculate how much you heal, but the healing and energy cost are spread over three actions. So if you had 89 health when you used rest, you'd heal 11 health spread out over three actions, ignoring how much damage you take while resting. If you have 10 health when you use the move, you'll gain 90 health over three actions, but only 30 per action so if I can do 40+ damage in one action you'd still faint.

I'm tired and lazy and I want to break your substitute.

Fire Pledge to high heavens, Cynderella. First action Sub is broken (which should be third action) Will-o-wisp if you can burn her with it, Fire Pledge if not (you're taunted or something) , and Double Team if you can't hit her.

Fire Pledge/Will-o-Wisp/Double Team~Fire Pledge/Will-o-Wisp/Double Team~Fire Pledge/Will-o-Wisp/Double Team

It's amusing that sleep talk only called moves that Cynderella managed to use within the first three actions, but just in case, despite what I've been pushing for, it doesn't work like that yet. Any move in the movepool is up for grabs.

Sleep talk (and metronome and assist, basically moves that make other moves happen) generally cost a little more than the move they call, I do 1%. So a sleep talked sunny day would be 5% while a normal one would be 4%. Since you didn't correct the energy cost in the first round, it comes out to roughly the same anyway, but you should note that if it comes up again.

Your prose is rather subpar, to be honest. A lot of refs don't put that much effort into it but it still should be reasonably interesting. A good guideline is usually at least one paragraph per action (time-wise, so three paragraphs for a simple reffing, more if there's something interesting to say). This past round was a little more repetitive so most refs would slack off on the in-depth descriptions by now, but you never had in-depth descriptions in the first place. If I didn't know the commands and could only look at your prose, what are the chances that I'd know Juliette was using focus punch on the second and third actions, rather than her other numerous punching moves?

Prose in ASB isn't the same as prose in any other type of fight scene. A total of six actions, which can be as brief as a quick attack, are exchanged, and need to be described well enough to put some meat into your post. So at least the first time a move is used, you should be putting some detail into it. Focus punch isn't just watch -> fist glows -> punch. It's one of the strongest attacks pokemon can have access to, on par with hyper beam. The progression is taking a moment to charge up, and then a massive release of power. You don't have to beautifully describe how the tension builds up and then explodes in Cynderella's face or anything, but it should be noticeably different than drain punch or power-up punch.

If you need to apologise for how short the reffing is - well, it's not the best guideline, but you should maybe consider that the reffing could be improved.

In the future, if the database isn't clear about something, or if you are confused about anything, you should ask for clarification in the question box. Refs at all levels ask questions there, its whole purpose is to allow people to understand how a move works better so they can either ref it properly or incorporate it into their tactics. It's not a failure to ask questions; in fact, it's an expectation! If you're not a little bit confused, I'm not testing you hard enough. ...although I wasn't at fault for that one.

--

That round... didn't go quite the way we wanted, with a whole wasted focus punch, but it puts us nicely ahead either way. Let's do some more.

I don't even know what to do with your sub still up since I never expected it to make it this far, but I guess I'd better give the ref a chance to describe some new things. Alas, I don't feel like having you being burned quite yet... but let's leave it to chance this time.

Max clones, then super fang merely because why do you even have that move?? why do you have teeth?? Follow it up with a knock off if you're not burned, and a toxic if you are.

Double Team ~ Super Fang ~ Knock Off / Toxic

Round 3

allitersonance
Croagunk
Energy: 59%
Commands: Double team~Super fang~Toxic

Lilypad
cyndaquil
Health: 60 (capped)%
Energy: 77%
Commands: Fire pledge~ Fire pledge~Will-o-wisp

Cynderella opened her eyes. She was feeling more tired now she had woken up, oddly enough. Well, it's time for payback, she thought. She then gave a cry, holding onto her charcoal as fire typed energy flowed through her body. The Croagunk in front of her was given only enough time to gulp as a huge column of fire, powered up amazingly by both the sun and the magical piece of charcoal the Cyndaquil was holding, shot up from the ground. The substitute managed to push the real Croagunk out of the way, taking the full brunt of the blast. Pieces of the substitute were now beginning to fall off, but it was still magically intact. Julliete shook herself lightly and began to dash around, producing more doppelgängers to keep her safe from such a horrible attack.

Cynderella looked at the clones, frowning. There were just so many, and they all seemed to have substitutes of their own! She made a small prayer to the Gods of luck, and started to cry to the sky once more. The real Croagunk gave a yelp, yet again pushed out of the way as the pillar of fire blazed in front of her. The substitute suddenly fell to pieces, leaving a small pile of still warm ash on the ground, and the other clones vanished with a poof. With an angry croak, Juliette hopped forwards, her mouth glowing a bright yellow as she reached out and clamped her teeth into the now squealing Cyndaquil. Cynderella squirmed and yelped as Juliette chomped down as much as she could, and then suddenly opened her mouth, leaving the small mouse Pokemon quivering on the floor.

It seemed to take a while for Cynderella to get up, but she eventually did. Her mouth opened, slightly quivering from exhaustion, and a blue ball of fire floated slowly towards the Croagunk. Juliette yelped as the fire burned the skin on her arm. She croaked a little in response, but gagged mid croak. Cynderella looked at the frog curiously, wondering what was up. Was Juilette sick? The Croagunk then suddenly spat out a toxic combination of chemicals all over the Cynadaquil, quickly soaking into the skin before Cynderella could wipe it off.

allitersonance
Croagunk
Health: 84%
Energy: 30%
Status: Oh, I am so glad that other fire didn't hit me! (Burned -3% hp each round, -3% physical damage)
Commands: Double team~Super fang~Toxic

Lilypad
cyndaquil
Health: 29%
Energy: 68%
Status: Shivering a little. Badly poisoned (-1% this round, -2% next round) Blaze activated.-1 speed
Commands: Fire pledge~ Fire pledge~Will-o-wisp

Notes
Sunny day will last for 5 more actions.
Allitersonance to command next

Calculations

Fire pledge: 14% damage 3% energy

Fire pledge: 3% energy

Will-o-wisp: 3% energy

Double team:3 clones 3% energy

Fire pledge rolled a 4, which meant it hit. Sub was destroyed on second action.

Super fang: 30% damage 22% energy

Toxic: 4% energy

1% hp taken off cyndaquil due to poison

3% hp taken off Croagunk due to burn.

Last edited:
Burn damage is 3%/round over three actions, but Juliette was only burned for one action. She loses 1% health from the burn this round. Toxic doing 1% now is fine since damage doesn't go below 1% though.

I forgot to mention last round, but rest healing 11% health should've cost 6% energy - energy costs always round up. For the same reason, super fang costs 23% energy.

Toxic should cost 1% less from STAB if you're cheapening will-o-wisp for the same reason.

You don't describe the other clones disappearing when the fire pledge hits the right target, that's a thing that totally happens. Cynderella's blaze ability should have activated after super fang, which warrants a mention in the narrative as well as in her final status report.

Back
Top Bottom