• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Mafia Idea Center

*muttering softly to self* role madness roll madness where everybody gets their role reranded every phase
ok I am actually working on / conceptualizing / drafting this, pls hit me up with role ideas that would work interestingly in this paradigm

current draft is that at the very start of every day phase (i.e. after all kills/info/etc have gone through, just before the actual day-opening post), all living players get their roles completely reranded, a completely separate mafia chat starts up, etc. but corpses keep their roles forever, and roles are tied specifically to a faction, so town's goal is to put all the mafia roles into the corpse pile

prooooobably this means the game would start with a day phase instead of a n0?

I'm thinking it also makes the most sense for me to make the entire setup to be publicly visible in the signup thread, like we did with 2R1B, to reduce the bastardiness in what promises to be a pretty inherently bastardy concept. but that also means I gotta pretty much set the whole thing in stone (barring wiggle room to adjust for number of players) before I can start signups

wow I have been drafting that post for half an hour and then I hit post and see that someone else has also posted a rand-shenanigans game idea in the meantime--

*muttering softly to self* role madness roll madness where everybody gets their role reranded every phase
ok I am actually working on / conceptualizing / drafting this, pls hit me up with role ideas that would work interestingly in this paradigm
a lifetime ago, I put up a setup where the gimmick was that, each time someone died, they were just put into a new role, and the objective was for town or mafia to exhaust the other faction's roles. that, rather predictably, didn't run the whole course, or even very far at all, and not all of the roles there were probably good ideas, but still -- I can dig up the files for that if it might help you pick brains

a lifetime ago, I put up a setup where the gimmick was that, each time someone died, they were just put into a new role, and the objective was for town or mafia to exhaust the other faction's roles. that, rather predictably, didn't run the whole course, or even very far at all, and not all of the roles there were probably good ideas, but still -- I can dig up the files for that if it might help you pick brains
😮 yeah if you still have those files on hand and it's not too much trouble to dig them up, I'd love to take a look!

the main issue I see with this is that if everyone's final wincon is more likely to be town than mafia, it makes sense for each day's "mafia" to try to off one of their own in order to further what they assume will be their final goal

so i think you'd have to have equally sized town and mafia factions, again like 2R1B

either that or keep alignments the same throughout the game, even as roles are reranded

so i think you'd have to have equally sized town and mafia factions, again like 2R1B
oh. no. then the mafia would just win. the randing doesn't get rid of the ability to control the yeet with a simple majority.

well, i don't know then.

one could also make it so the mafia don't, by default, know each other/communicate; that was also true of my above-mentioned setup

y'know, time and again, I'd been fiddling with an idea of trying one of those setups where everyone is in a randomly-chosen lovers pair, or possibly even a chosen-on-entry lovers pair; that's almost the same idea, innit
I've been thinking of running a game in two private threads where everyone has a partner that's their only connection to the other thread

y'know, time and again, I'd been fiddling with an idea of trying one of those setups where everyone is in a randomly-chosen lovers pair, or possibly even a chosen-on-entry lovers pair; that's almost the same idea, innit
I've been thinking of running a game in two private threads where everyone has a partner that's their only connection to the other thread
two rooms, a boom, several lovers-

oh, oh, come to think of it, another idea I'd had is a setup where everyone is in a fishing brothers pair -- or, well, has an ability that activates similarly, anyway

on the way to quote and type this, the train of thought also got itself so far derailed, I also ended up with this idea: a mafia game where there are two big "families" that communicate privately, and also hate each other, and the town members of them have irreconciliable win conditions, BUT there's also mafiosi in the midst of both and they still have to take those out. ... I'd probably have to refine it a bunch for gameplay but at least it sure sounds like something

on the way to quote and type this, the train of thought also got itself so far derailed, I also ended up with this idea: a mafia game where there are two big "families" that communicate privately, and also hate each other, and the town members of them have irreconciliable win conditions, BUT there's also mafiosi in the midst of both and they still have to take those out. ... I'd probably have to refine it a bunch for gameplay but at least it sure sounds like something
romeo y juliet???

romeo y juliet???
pretty much! naturally, I already also have an idea of a lovers pair outstretched across the families-

the main issue I see with this is that if everyone's final wincon is more likely to be town than mafia, it makes sense for each day's "mafia" to try to off one of their own in order to further what they assume will be their final goal

either that or keep alignments the same throughout the game, even as roles are reranded
hmm yeah, good point. I was working on the assumption mafia would be incentivized to avoid dying as mafia (since roles "stick" to you when you die) but yeah, that still raises the possibility/strategy of mafia infighting

locking alignments might have to be the solution but I have some neat role ideas that depend on people being able to re-rand from mafia->town and vice versa, so I don't want to do it if I don't have to

maybe mafia who can't communicate with each other is a partial solution? maybe increasing the proportion of mafia compared to typical is a partial solution? idk, I will have to keep thinking about it

hmm yeah, good point. I was working on the assumption mafia would be incentivized to avoid dying as mafia (since roles "stick" to you when you die) but yeah, that still raises the possibility/strategy of mafia infighting

locking alignments might have to be the solution but I have some neat role ideas that depend on people being able to re-rand from mafia->town and vice versa, so I don't want to do it if I don't have to

roles could be randomized where there is at least 1 person that is has a 3rd party role ( like the leperchan from 2R1B ) that can switch with everyone 1 time

Back
Top Bottom