• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

One-Shot Midnight Archive

Ibiku

Because only the random will survive...
Eh, to clarify a few things this was a dream I once had. It's pretty strange, but intresting and symbolic.
I'm going to rate this PG to PG-13 for some violence and the overall morbidness of it.. I'm not sure which to give it, so decide for yourself.
Constructive criticism is welcomed with open arms.

It was starting. The beginning of the end was starting. When the news said it would hit I felt fear, but not true panic. I was panicking now. Oh, was I panicking. Thought’s of my mom bounced through my head, where was she? I grabbed the dog and raced outside.

If I hadn’t known I was going to die the spectacle would have been much more enjoyable. Meteorites, so many of them trailing the sky, it was awe inspiring and frightening at the same time. Chasing each other in streaks of golden fire until, smack, they hit the ground. Thousands upon thousands, the night sky had adopted a reddish tint from the crimson flames. It would have been so much better if I hadn’t known…

Mom, where was she? I put the dog down, begging her to stay, and scanned the cul-de-sac. The area was inhospitable; Fire surrounded and engulfed the houses. Thankfully nobody still resided in the homes. In a vein attempt at survival the others had cleared out and run away. We were all that was left. I glanced at our tree; it was burning brightly. With no emergency services still working the fires were out of control everywhere. The tree would be cinders before it hit. I looked at the driveway, Mom was standing there smoking. Why was she doing that, couldn’t she kick the habit even on doomsday?

I chuckled in spite of myself.

Scooping up the dog once more I scrambled to mom. She was frazzled to say the least. She shivered in her black itchy-looking coat, not out of cold, but out of fear. Her hair was short and curly, and in this tinted light it glowed like amber. Her face radiated fear, she knew. DUH, we all knew...

“Mom,” I called, “Mom! It’s beginning.”
“Yes, it is.” She answered solemnly, “It’s going to be okay Carly. I promise it’ll be okay.”

Unwillingly I gave her an incredulous look. She isn’t trying to convince me I thought she’s trying to convince herself…

The dog began to squirm in my grasp, woofing softly. The birds that hadn’t already flown away zoomed from the scene. I put the dog down, but she didn’t bound away, a relief if there was any on this night. The dog walked over to my mom and sat down leaning on her leg. A noise much like the popping of a plastic bag filled the air and we all knew.

It was time.

The sky brightened as it fell. A meteor the size of a mountain had cleared through the atmosphere effortlessly. Sonic booms shattered the air, and glass, around me. The shooting stars were dust particles compared to this monster. This was the one to fear. This was the one to try and escape. This was the one to end it all, to extinguish the human race.

Such a sight, it was beautiful as the smaller ones had been. Though it didn’t sport a bright flaming tail the meteor itself shined with the enormity of its power. Its glow began to increase in brightness and the noise was now a din. It was so close now. I’m going to die! I thought.

It impacted.

But nothing happened.

No blinding flash, no burning flames tearing at my skin, no death. Nothing. It was as if time had become frozen an instant before the destruction began.

I looked around. Mom was pale white, the dog held no expression. How strange, the dog had accepted her fate when we, the so called smarter species, hadn’t. I laughed.

I glanced at the meteor, my doom. I should be dead, I thought suddenly. What was happening? HOW was it happening?

I couldn’t muse about that though because something was rushing from the meteor at high speed. It was electric blue and radiated from all sides of the rock. It’s a shockwave. I thought. Wait, shockwaves shouldn’t be happening when time stands still. They shouldn’t be blue either to my knowledge…

POW!!

I was to busy trying to rationalize the wave than to try and dodge it. It hit hard, worse than any punch to the stomach anybody’s received. I flew back forcibly into the garage door and landed square in the middle. I hung there in a daze for a moment until I fell down. I’d left a big dent in the door; that was bad. I breathed in to feel a piercing pain in my chest, some if not most of my ribs were cracked.

I feared the waves now.

I got up as best as I could and watched the meteor send out another shock wave. How is this happening if time is still?? I looked at my feet and the blue blur was already there. I flew, again, into the garage door leaving another dent. Was I not supposed to die a painless death? Would I die from injuries in this forsaken time? I didn’t think that I could take another wave.

One came though; still blue. My favorite color coated these waves of pain. Crap, I thought Crap crap crap. What is going on??

The wave hit and I heard a sickening crack when I flew in an awkward position at the door. Another dent, hope I don’t have to pay for that. I tried to get up to find that my left wrist and right arm were broken. I screamed helplessly as a lightning bolt of pain shot through my arm. Wonderful, I was now on the ground, in a lot of pain, and vulnerable.

Another shockwave darted from the meteor, but it was different this time. It was a bright lavender color and it glowed intensely. It didn’t fan out from all sides either, it pin-pointed me. While it still was moving at a break-neck speed it was quite slower than the blue waves. I had a feeling that this one held something different in store for me.

It hit. I didn’t feel any pain.

I felt knowledge, so much knowledge. It was as if this wave held a bit of history inside and it was passing it on to me. I heard a clock chime, a grandfather clock. My mind was bombarded with pictures and sounds of a time long past. I was no longer lying on the concrete in front of the garage; I was pulled into an ethereal realm with no still form, always fluctuating. I learned of the beginning of life. No, I learned about the beginning of human life.

I got up, this know-how empowering me beyond my injuries. I knew it wasn’t the end. There seemed to now be a reason I was here in this still moment of time.

Another purple wave shot towards me and I wasn’t afraid any longer.

It hit and again I was pulled into that odd space and given memories. Another chime of the clock sounded. For this one the time period of the images seemed to be farther along in history. Still it was only human history I saw, and I absorbed it like a sponge. It was seemingly impossible to contain it all.

Another wave struck and another clock boomed.

I collapsed in a heap. My mind was spastic, images and noises zigzagging in my skull. Think of the worst headache you’ve ever had and multiply it by ten. You’re thinking of a quarter of what I was experiencing.

“Would you like to stop?”

A voice, a voice in my head had asked me something. It wasn’t my voice, it didn’t sound like any voice I knew. What had it asked? I didn’t hear… My mind was spinning out of control.

“Would you like to stop now Carly?”

I heard it this time. Yes, I would love to stop. I wanted so much for this headache to stop. I couldn’t tell this being that though.

“No.” I replied out loud. I noticed a tinge of pain in my voice. I hope it hadn’t heard that.

A wave swept towards me, but it wasn’t purple or blue. This wave moved the slowest of all, not to say it wasn’t fast though. A nice cool green like a tree leaf in the summer painted this odd wave. Like the blue ones before it the wave fanned out from all sides of the meteor. I expected the worst and braced myself.

It hit, and a nice cool feeling overcame me. I was thrown into another ethereal realm, but it wasn’t the same as before. My wrist and arm stung for an instant and then felt immensely better. The same thing happened to my ribs. This green wave seemed to be healing my wounds. My headache went away as the thoughts and memories I had received were compressed and deflated.

I was back in my drive way now and I felt better than ever! My wounds were gone, healed.

“Feel better now?”
“Yes. Thanks.” I replied again happily.
“Would you like to continue?”
“Yep.” I was grinning.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Time passed. I hadn’t a clue how much, but that was okay. The moving realm I continuously got dragged into threw time out the window, so the confusion was natural. I’d been hit by many waves, all of them surging closer and closer to now. It excited and disturbed me to think that eventually the history would pass this time period. What would the future look like? Dim, cruel, and dead? Bright, happy, and okay? My mind swam with images of both worlds.

The next wave caught me off-guard even though it shouldn’t have. I snapped out of my trance and focused on counting. How many had come before it, eleven? Yes, this was the twelfth wave. It hit and I learned a lot of which I already knew. Present day, I was absorbing the events of present day. The time to learn of the future was very near, my emotions mixed strangely. Another clock chimed as expected.

I was again standing in my driveway, standing tall. I knew everything there was to know about humans and their history up to this point in time. I anxiously awaited the next wave that would tell of the future, about the humans who would survive the meteor impact.

“Well, it seems my work, and yours, is done.” The voice declared, “It’s past time for you to go.”

Twelve chimes of a clock.
Midnight.
The end of a day.

There was no future to learn about. It all ended here. Panic swept over me like a tidal wave. It can’t end, not like this.

“No.” I gasped with growing volume, “No! I don’t want to die! Please come back!!”

Everything sped up. The harsh din again shattered my ear drums and smoke filled my lungs. The last thing I saw was my mom screaming in terror and my dog accepting with closed eyes.

A blinding flash cloaked my vision and I felt terribly cold.

No, I wasn’t cold. I was on fire.

I was burning, melting from the intense heat. The fire was incinerating my skin and weakening my bones. The pain was merciless.

For an instant…
Only for an instant.

I stood in the midst of the destruction, unfeeling. Was I dead now, a ghost? I felt oddly serene, though I was standing in a flaming crater near a giant space rock. Dust and fire singed the air. It was charring and toxic, but I didn’t seem to have a problem breathing it in. The ground rippled beneath me as shockwaves, real ones this time, fluttered from the bottom of the rock. I felt no pain or push-back from them.

Yes, I was dead now.

I surveyed the scene. The good thing about this demolition was that death would be swift and painless. Mom, I remembered mom. Was she a ghost too? I looked everywhere, but couldn’t find her. I decided that if anything I was a special case, that this didn’t happen to everybody. Of course it didn’t happen to everybody. I was so different now; In short I was an archive of human history.

“Confused?” said a voice. It was the voice I had heard in my head, but this time it seemed as if it had come from an entity instead of a specter, “Its okay, most are at this point.”

I turned around to face an indescribable creature. It didn’t look human though. Was it the one who shoved all of those memories into my brain?

It laughed, “Poor girl, this must all be so new to you.”
“Who are you? Why couldn’t I see you before?” I questioned.
“Simple,” it began, “Before you were alive. Now you are dead. Only the dead can see me. I help people on their journey to the afterlife.”
“Hrm,” I was still confused as to whom it was, but there were bigger fish to fry, “What was up with the memories? Why were you doing that to me?”
“Also quite simple.” It answered matter-a-factly, “The human race is gone, extinct. When any and all sentient species die out we select a living member and transmit the history of their entire species to them before they die. It’s a way of keeping the history alive, even if the creature is gone. You were selected to be the carrier of knowledge for your species. Congratulations.”
I was dumb-founded, “What? Dead, humans are dead now?”
The creature held out its hand, “Come with me. Everything will be clear soon, don’t worry.”

I took its hand and everything became blurry. The world was drained of sharpness and color, a grey cloud was enveloping my vision. I felt calm and serene again, but a mist frazzled my mind. I felt as if I had been lifted off the ground, maybe I was flying. Can ghosts fly?

I had this feeling for quite some time until the misty cloud surrounding my thoughts was lifted. I was in space, above the earth looking down on it. My planet was no longer blue, but a dusty brown. Soon the remaining plants would die out from lack of photosynthesis. After that the few remaining animals and insects would starve to death and void the planet of multi-cell life. It seems that earth has to start over again… Hopefully life will move on.

Life will move on……

I realized that the twelve chimes of the clock didn’t symbolize midnight as the end, but as a beginning. A new day was coming, a fresh start.

“You understand now,” the creature said still gripping my hand.

We flew away from the Earth, my time there spent.

Last edited:
Wow. This was, in a word, amazing. The way you used the colors to express the waves was truly an execllent mark right there. I really don't see the morbidness of this, though. Maybe because I'm bad at making the whole "death equals afterlife" thing. ><' The end got me in quite a grip. I was practically screaming at the monitor,"What happens NEXT?"
You, my friend, are a superb writer. Props to ya.

O.O;;;;;

Wow, thank you very much Typhoon! I said morbid because not only does the whole center around "DOOM METEOR!!!!", but I die and end up a ghosty type thing.

What happens next? I dunno, that's when the dream ended.. I guess I got where I was going, whereever that may have been! ^.^;;;

Constuctive critism at all? Theres got to be something... *pokes repeatedly*

I really like this.. I'm just shocked something creepy like this could've come from you. But yeah... coughcoughmakeitaseriescoughcough

Hehheh... Yesh, it's from me. Hard for me to belive too! ^.^;;;
Quite a freaky dream, I woke up paniced, but fastinated.
(GREAT BIG GIANT WRITING TIP) If you have a cool dream write it down. If I hadn't written what I saw Minight Archive wouldn't exist.
How would I go about making it a series? Um, I'm not sure how I would accomplish that..... *is open to sugestions*

"It answered a-matter-a-factly"
This is all I have. I think the phrase is matter-of-factly.
Although that's all I can think about, nraaagh.
Y'see, I may have forgotten to pay the brain bill t'day. Since I'm estatic about the devildry of a compute of mine getting fixed, I've been online for...very long, and all the critic juices have been sucked out of my skull. I only have this lil' Grammar Nazi-ish nitpick.

Last edited:
*changes*
HUZZA!!
Anything else? From somebody with much critic juices left? *pats Typhoon on the back*

Loved the story Ibiku!
You're a good writer and i'm amazed that you remembered the whole dream!
Kudos!

Thank you Chari, you kind words make me feel all fuzzeh inside. XD

Acctualy I did add and make up some apects of the dream, but they were all small. The basic concept ( Doom Meteor, time freeze, history memorys, and ghosteh fly away) was present in the dream.

SHOCKWAVES!!! *is hit*

Unwillingly I gave her an incredulous look. She isn’t trying to convince me I thought she’s trying to convince herself…

She isn't trying to convince me, I thought, she's trying to convince herself...

That's like, the only mistake I cared to comb through for. =3 Italics, maybe? Good job~

Draco Meteor. *fwissssshh*

Back
Top Bottom