• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Suggestions MM's Fakemon

Please, no 'these don't look like Pokemon lulz' comments.
grassstarter3.gif
kyriaki.gif
valckin2.gif
belial.gif
volos.gif
skuld.gif
ekkjn.gif
28tdmpy.gif

I have some more but I'm too lazy to put them up.

These are wonderfully made, much better than my scratches, but just aren't in a Pokemon style. Still love 'em, though, up there with Bakuphoon. And, yes, that's a compliment.

These are wonderfully made, much better than my scratches, but just aren't in a Pokemon style. Still love 'em, though, up there with Bakuphoon. And, yes, that's a compliment.
I agree. does the orange one resemble deoxys?

The Shuppet/Banette evo-looking thing looks cool.

Are Kyriaki and Belial supposed to be like Nidoking and Nidoqueen or something along those lines? The look similar to me.

I agree. does the orange one resemble deoxys?

Why, thank you!

Anyways, I hope these little sentences will help you a little.

First of all, the pokèmon aren't very pokèmon-y (Sorry for breaking that "rule" you put up there, but it is pretty obvious), if you get what I mean. I can't see what they're supposed to be.
And, you over-shade them. You have too many shades on the first thing's leaves(?) and on the spider thing's head. If you are trying to make it look like a DP sprite, look at the DP-sprites. You can look at, for example, Vaporeon. You'll see that the face isn't over-shaded, the shading isn't there, they haven't shaded the head, just highlighted it.
But don't worry, I sometimes accidently over-shade too, I got that comment in the Spriter's Showcase on one of my older scratches. I didn't bother to change it though.

Some minor things:
- The first thing isn't facing to the left, and you should change the eye colour, so that it would be easer to tell them apart.
- The red highlight on the wolf doesn't match the red, it is too brownish.
- The front foot on the cat thing is too thick.
- The outlines on the mask thing is too dark and the leaves are over shaded.
- The fire/magma thing isn't shaded right, but I actually think you knew that, right?
- The Alien is over shaded, the darkest shade on the body is too dark.

Your main problem is the over-shading. No doubt about it. Try to only use 3 main colours and 1 outline colour + the darkest shade of the main colours.

The Banette evo is the best shaded of them. It isn't over-shaded, the outlines are okay, the colours are okay. Good job :)

And, you over-shade them. You have too many shades on the first thing's leaves(?) and on the spider thing's head. If you are trying to make it look like a DP sprite, look at the DP-sprites. You can look at, for example, Vaporeon. You'll see that the face isn't over-shaded, the shading isn't there, they haven't shaded the head, just highlighted it.

One big thing: They aren't D/P styled. There's no unwritten rule that says all Pokemon have to be in Pokemon style.
I'm not misusing colors, so what problem do you have with the number of shades I use? Like I said this is my own personal style and (with the exception of the Banette evo) they're NOT in D/P style.
In any case the other issues are contrast problems which I may fix when I get around to fixing the rest of these.
And it's not magma, it's orange metal. NOT Pokemon style either.

One big thing: They aren't D/P styled. There's no unwritten rule that says all Pokemon have to be in Pokemon style.
I'm not misusing colors, so what problem do you have with the number of shades I use? Like I said this is my own personal style and (with the exception of the Banette evo) they're NOT in D/P style.
In any case the other issues are contrast problems which I may fix when I get around to fixing the rest of these.
And it's not magma, it's orange metal. NOT Pokemon style either.

Of course, I don't know what style you use :/ But at least, if they were supposed to be pokèmon and be DP-styled, that would be my comment. And you never said that you use your own style.
I still think that too many shades kills the sprite :/

I was pretty sure it'd be obvious that I wasn't even trying to use Pokemon-style.
And it all depends on the style you use. I've seen good, small sprites with 5 shades per color and good large sprites with 2. As long as you're not wasting colors...

lol wtf MM don't you know these people don't understand you don't understand you don't imitate any games??!!?!??!! it used to be pmf tradition!!! then diggeh was stuff

Why is the closer antenna bigger than the other? Same with the arms, too. The foot to my right also isn't as wide as the one on my left.
Kyriaki is obviously not an Eevee evolution anymore. The collar looks off-center, but I can't tell because the spikes clutter it all up.
The shoulder thing (arm?) to my left is lower than the other. The leg to my right is higher than the other.
At first I didn't know why it only had too legs, but when I noticed the angle of the two wing things, there might be something I just don't get.
The leaves look more like metal than flat, though I'm not sure if you intended that or not. The leg to my right is thicker than the other at the top, whatever it's called. Knees would be nice too.
I don't think you should of used black outline for this. :/ It makes the light anti-alias kill the sprite.
The spikes are at the wrong angle if they're supposed to come out straight from the spine. The right arm is awkwardly attatched to the back.
The arm to my left is roundish, and the one to my is right flat. Is that a cape?

damn you anti-rape condom

what is that

Last edited:
I was pretty sure it'd be obvious that I wasn't even trying to use Pokemon-style.
And it all depends on the style you use. I've seen good, small sprites with 5 shades per color and good large sprites with 2. As long as you're not wasting colors...

Why would it be obvious? You've called them fakemon (as in, fake pokemon), so we're going to assume that your sprites are going to be the same style as pokemon.

Also, is 'Abscure' an Absol evolution? If so, it's good, but I think you should rethink your colour scheme. Most pokemon follow each other's general patterns, body shapes and colours, so I think it'd be worth changing it to white, a shade of grey or even black.

Anyway, great job on them, you've got a really good ability to translate a decent idea into pixels, something that a lot of scratchers are lacking. Nice work! (:

these dont look like pokemanz lolz

Joking aside, I haven't seen these yet, and I like them. Your shading has improved since the last time I've seen your work. I specifically love the location of this one's
28tdmpy.gif
second mouth. XD;

Also, is 'Abscure' an Absol evolution? If so, it's good, but I think you should rethink your colour scheme. Most pokemon follow each other's general patterns, body shapes and colours, so I think it'd be worth changing it to white, a shade of grey or even black.

*coughabscureisthefoldernamecough*

Abscure is the name of an indie gaming group a friend of mine has that I'm helping him with. It's the name of the folder. D:
And it's obvious because it's easy to tell they're not in Pokemon style if you're familiar with the logistics of D/P style. The shading is COMPLETELY different.

Back
Top Bottom