• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Suggestions MM's Sprites 4? 5? I dunno

Crossposted from Pixeljoint

monstergame-3.gif

So, long story short I've decided to stop making fakemon and instead make my own creatures for a game that I may or may not develop. The "game" is called Hieros Gamos, the creatures homunculi, and the whole thing is alchemy-based and similar in playstyle to Dragon Warrior Monsters for the GBC.

The above is a mockup of the battle screen. Obviously some parts are missing and I slapped a few of my premade monsters on there, but I think it's looking okay so far. The concerns I have are:

Does the composition look okay?
What should I do for the background? I don't want it to be terribly Pokemon-esque, considering I want to get away from that, but I want something somewhat simplistic.
Where should the "attack, magic, blah blah" buttons go? I realized I forgot them...

Also the silhouettes could use some critique. Working in silhouette was the idea of someone from TSR and it seems to help my sense of shape.

Last edited:
What's the fire starter supposed to be? Other than being twisted, but that's a prerequisite for the firestarter.

Shark is old but I still like it, tail fluff (?) looks a bit odd and disconnected but otherwise it's alright.

Potra!!! No problems there really

Evo one could use some leg shading, evo two could use some bends on the head leaves

I TOLD YOU KAM
I TOLD YOU ABOUT (MY LACK OF) POSTS

coconaut.gif

Coconaut b/w style animation. For the record, the actual B/W animations are done ingame using code, so I couldn't get the exactly style P:

The magic of Graphicsgale and the rotational tool. If you need an in-depth tutorial on how I did it there should be one in the PS archive somewhere.

Problem though... GM's developer wants me to animate everything with flash. HOW I ADOBE FLASH? Going to have to learn. In the meantime, have this:

palmana2.gif

Doesn't give you a monopoly on the name, bro.
I'm sorry, of course it doesn't. I've just seen that mental process where you think you thought of a name yourself when you actually heard it somewhere and forgotten about it. right, KAM??? j/k, terrible joke on my part. (not that it hasn't happened before)

And jesus, what the hell is with all of you? You grovel at Equinoxe's feet, but 4 posts in a row without a single comment, then another post and a non-constructive comment? Seriously?
have you seen my thread? ten or twenty posts and then something like "I like that one, but you should make them transparent!"

SAPOCOET: Spriters against people only commenting on Equinoxe's thread.

Yeah, I feel your pain. Just because we weren't born GODS GIFT TO SPRITSE doesn't mean we don't deserve decent critique and maybe a little encouragement now and then. :C

On a dark background, it grows a bit obvious that Palmana has a bit too much sel-out. The legs and feet in particular.

SAPOCOET: Spriters against people only commenting on Equinoxe's thread.
I feel like a bad guy now D:

that aside,
coconaut.gif

Coconaut b/w style animation. For the record, the actual B/W animations are done ingame using code, so I couldn't get the exactly style P:
This animation is pretty smooth! Yes, using Flash would yield a more B/W-ish stle of animation, but honestly, this looks pretty swell anyway. Man, now I feel like checking out that tutorial of yours. :O

I think I gotta agree on the outlines here; maybe try a darker outline colour or just less selout on the feet, it looks a tad awkward.
One other problem I see here is that the colours are a bit too muted, making the pokemon look flat. Some more contrast might do the trick.

I can fix the selout issue but I used Whimsicott's colors, so they're original sprite colors. :V Besides, I already animated him painstakingly in flash, so, uhh...

porkypigs.gif

third time's the charm

and equinoxe it isn't really your fault. It's the people who grovel at your feet who really piss me off.

Back
Top Bottom