• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Negrek vs. Zhorken

bulbasaur

Not quite e^(-(x-μ)²/(2σ²)) / (σ√(2π))
2vs2 Single
DQ: 3 Days
Cap: 40%
Banned Moves: None
Arena: The Hax Subway

In every region, there is one battling facility that draws the best of the best trainers to its halls, offering the toughest fights around. Though housed in diverse locations and offering up a variety of prizes, these venues all have one thing in common: the house always wins. Everyone knows this, everyone complains about it, and everyone... plays the game anyway, at least if they want that shiny choice scarf they can't find anywhere else. In Unova, that place is the Battle Subway.

When scoping out where to hold their tournament in Nimbasa City, TCoD ASB league officials were naturally drawn to the bustling hub of Unova's transportation industry and, of course, the capital of its battling scene. All in all, it seemed to have everything the league was looking for: plenty of name recognition, a ready-made audience, and all the infrastructure necessary to host a substantial number of high-energy battles. There was just one problem.

Namely, it's just not all that fun to face off against that rhydon that triggers its quick claw three times in a row and downs your entire team with horn drill. Sure, you can win sympathy points from your friends on the internet when you complain about it, but at the end of the day you're still left gathering your dispirited team together and running through fifty-something battles to get your streak back to where it was. This is a problem that the Battle Subway shares with all of its ilk, and the league wasn't about to let its tournament be ruined by the shady practices of the subway's trainers.

That's why the TCoD League demanded that if the Battle Subway wanted its business, it wasn't going to show any of its normal hating on the visiting team, oh, no. Instead, it was going to give TCoD's trainers a taste of that power, the utterly unlawful rigging that makes the subway's trainers to unholily lucky. And the Subway's officials, unwilling to let such a large contract slip through their fingers, reluctantly agreed--or at least appeared to.

In this battle, good luck is absolutely assured. Your attacks will not miss. You will get that lucky flinch, burn, or timely stat-boost. You won't have to suffer that full paralysis or terribly long sleep. Your pokémon's focus band will activate. Life is good, right? Well... almost.

Out of spite, the Battle Subway's officials have set things up so that, while your luck is assured, it is fleeting. Attacks with secondary effects will always have those effects trigger--but only the first time they occur! And yes, your prankster sableye might be able to put your opponent's pokémon to sleep instantly and without fail with hypnosis--but good luck sending it under a second time. A complete enumeration of the effects on battle are as follows:

- Attacks cannot miss. For an attack with less than 100% accuracy, its energy cost is increased by 1% for every 20% of accuracy that must be added to bring it up to 100%, rounded up (thus 3% extra energy for zap cannon, 2% for blizzard, and 1% for meteor mash). If a pokémon's accuracy is lowered, all its attacks cost 1% more energy per two levels of reduction. If a pokémon uses double team, the opponent will always miss with its next attack (unless it's something that wouldn't miss, like aerial ace), but hit with the one after that and cause the clones to fade.

- Attacks with secondary effects always have those effects trigger--but only the first time the attack is used. So, flamethrower always burns and ancientpower always raises all stats--but only the first time the attack is used. After that, there is no chance for the secondary effect to occur. Note that secondary effects only trigger if the attack successfully strikes the opponent (or the opponent's substitute), so if the opponent protects against your ancientpower, you've lost out on your opportunity to get the stat boost for the rest of the battle. All attacks with a secondary effect with less than a 100% chance of occurring cost 1% extra energy the first time they are used, regardless of whether the effect is actually gained.

- Likewise, abilities and items with a variable chance of activating always activate once, at the first opportunity, and never again.

- Sleep always lasts two actions. A pokémon can only be put to sleep once per battle. Likewise, a pokémon that becomes attracted will attract-fail twice in a row, then be cured and immune to attraction for the rest of the battle. A frozen pokémon will thaw after two actions and cannot be frozen again later.

- A confused pokémon will hurt itself at the first opportunity, then be cured of confusion and unable to be confused by an opponent for the rest of the match. Self-inflicted confusion, e.g. by petal dance, still occurs after the attack's end, but a pokémon confused this way will always hurt itself once and then snap out of it.

- A pokémon can only be flinched once per battle.

- The first move that a pokémon makes at an elevated critical hit domain (e.g. an attack like psycho cut or any attack for a pokémon with superluck) will be a critical hit and cost 2% more energy. However, a pokémon may only score one such critical hit per battle. Attacks that always cause a critical hit, like frost breath, still always cause critical hits.

- Paralysis still causes a 75% speed reduction, but a pokémon will never be "fully paralyzed," and the condition does not fade.

- A pokémon may use only one OHKO move per battle. OHKO's always hit, always deal the damage cap's worth of damage, and cost energy equal to half as much damage they deal, plus the penalty for their accuracy increase.

- Attacks with variable durations always last for their maximum duration.

- Multi-hit attacks always land the maximum number of hits as though the user had the skill link ability.

The battles take place in subway cars. At first blush there's nothing special about them: a nice spacious aisleway to accomodate the battling, rows of unwelcoming plastic chairs along each wall with rings to hold onto swinging above each. Everything in the car rocks, bounces, and sways in time with the clacking of its wheels on the track.

These battered old bits of public transportation are tougher than they appear, though--so tough, in fact, that they can survive a lickilicki's explosion with hardly a scratch. Rumor has it that, a couple of years back when a trainer's machamp managed to put dent in one of the seats, the train's janitors presented her with a trophy. These cars only look like those that run on subway tracks in other regions; in reality, they are highly portable state-of-the art battle chambers, not only able to resist the worst that powerful pokémon can throw at it, but provide any conceivable conditions they could require, from generating simulated weather to providing faux rocks for a painful stone edge attack.

Pokémon

Negrek's Active Pokémon:

Yanmawise-glasses
Lutchrium
Yanma with ability Speed Boost holding Wise Glasses
0 EXP

Grimerlum-berry
Phytophthora
Grimer with ability Sticky Hold holding a Lum Berry
1 EXP

Swablueject-button
Mrs. Fluffy
Swablu with ability Natural Cure holding an Eject Button
0 EXP

Slowkinglum-berry
Slowking
Slowking with ability Own Tempo holding a Lum Berry
0 EXP

Mudkipeviolite
Mudkip
Mudkip with ability Torrent holding an Eviolite. Knows the move Aqua Jet
0 EXP

Treeckobig-root
Havoc
Treecko with ability Overgrow holding a Big Root
0 EXP

Absolreaper-cloth
Mandarb
Absol with ability Pressure holding a Reaper Cloth.Is armoured and equipped with a Poisoned Barb
5 EXP

Clefairymoon-stone
Yoshiya
Clefairy with ability Magic Guard holding a Moon Stone
3 EXP

Makuhitachesto-berry
Makuhita
Makuhita with ability Guts holding a Chesto Berry
0 EXP

Chimchareviolite
Phlogiston
Chimchar with ability Blaze holding an Eviolite. She is more in touch with her inner fire, and thus can change the type of any attack to Fire, at the cost of 2 more energy, as described in her body modification.
1 EXP

Zhorken's Active Pokémon:
Bunearyring-target
Enver
Buneary with ability Klutz holding a Ring Target
0 EXP

Trapincheviolite
Zal
Trapinch with ability Arena Trap holding an Eviolite
2 EXP

38.png
absorb-bulb
Djalène
Ninetales with ability Flash Fire holding an Absorb Bulb
3 EXP

Scolipedescope-lens
Valicorth
Scolipede with ability Poison Point holding Scope Lens
6 EXP

Deinolucky-egg
Rhannyx
Deino with ability Hustle holding a Lucky Egg
0 EXP

Slowpokekings-rock
Meliko
Slowpoke with ability Own Tempo holding a King's Rock
0 EXP

Mawilereaper-cloth
Emian
Mawile with ability Hyper Cutter holding a Reaper Cloth
0 EXP

Farfetchdstick
Zilliah Bailey
Farfetch'd with ability Keen Eye holding a Stick
0 EXP

Snoruntdawn-stone
Jan
Snorunt with ability Ice Body holding a Dawn Stone
0 EXP

Zigzagoonlucky-egg
Zigzagoon
Zigzagoon with ability Gluttony holding a Lucky Egg
0 EXP

Attack order:
  1. Negrek sends out Pokémon
  2. Zhorken sends out Pokémon and gives commands
  3. Negrek gives commands
  4. I ref

Evil and risky or solid and staid? I suppose I'm not feeling like much of a gambler tonight. Mudkip, time for your debut! And with any luck, I'll manage to come up with a decent nickname for you by the end of this. >>

Okay! Ideally, we want to smack that Mudkip around with Psychic, but he's not likely to just sit there and let that happen.

Protect if he uses AncientPower, Yawn, or Bite, or if he unleashes Bide. But don't bother Protecting more than once in a row.

Use Future Sight if you can't hit him with Psychic, because of Protect, Dive, or whatever reason, or if he's preparing to Mirror Coat your attack back.

Same orders for the whole round—pretty simple, right? So if you can grasp a fourth thing, listen on! But if it would just confuse you, ignore me.

There are a couple cases where a Psychic would be a waste of energy. If he has a medium Substitute up that's already survived one Psychic, or if he just used Double Team, use Swift instead of Psychic. (But not instead of Protect or Future Sight.)

Psychic/Protect/Future Sight/Swift ×3

((EDIT:)) Oh, uh, I'm talking to Meliko. I just... forgot to announce her presence. And she's so calm you might not have noticed her.

((Hopefully this works? I've never seen anyone actually try to make a fourth conditional work; either they stick to three, or they don't know about the usual limit and they do something ridiculous that deserves to get cut off.))

Last edited:
Four conditionals for a slowpoke, huh? Well, not my first choice if I were going to pick a pokémon to try to wheedle extra-confusing commands out on, but I wish Meliko luck with that--not that we're going to make it any easier for her! Let's see her concentrate when she takes a load of boiling water face. Mudkip! Open by blasting her in the face with scald; go for the eyes!

I think that should give enough to think about on the first action; follow it up by sickening her with sludge wave. Finally, let loose an unholy (if brief) hullabaloo to shatter her concentration and send her final psychic awry, assuming she's caught up by that point.

Scald ~ Sludge Wave ~ Uproar (one action)

Ah, battling facilities designed to give one party a significant advantage over the other. We have the Battle Tower, the Battle Frontiers, and the newly-introduced Battle Subway.

I'd like to quote some prominent authorities on this subject:

The first thing you need to know about the Battle Tower is that the Pokémon there are DAMN LUCKY. They always score a critical hit when it's their only chance of winning (especially with Hyper Beam) and miss very rarely. And what their presence alone can do to your Pokémon... they will suddenly miss like crazy, never critical hit, all at the worst possible moments. -- Butterfree

It's just not all that fun to face off against that rhydon that triggers its quick claw three times in a row and downs your entire team with horn drill. -- Negrek

F*** THIS S**T -- bulbasaur

The Battle Subway had been disappointed that their large contract was suddenly and mysteriously withdrawn for, of all things, a musical theatre. However, the Subway did stipulate somewhere in the 143rd page of the fine print that withdrawals could only be made in part, and that a fee of a single subway car would still apply. Deciding that it would be a shame to let this go to waste, Negrek invited Zhorken to battle with her. Not passing up the opportunity to have a battle with the head referee herself, he gladly accepted. And bulbasaur, ever the willing one, volunteered for referee after deliberating on it for five months.

The trio made their way to Nimbasa City, where one could see a steady stream of disgruntled trainers making their way to the Pokémon Centre. Following that stream, the battlers came to the Battle Subway. It seemed to radiate an aura of malign, and as soon as Negrek, taking the lead, stepped up the stairs, she tripped, thrice in a row, before she decided to just crawl up.

Upon descending into the Gear Station, the trio was directed to a plain-looking car. When everyone was settled in, and the ungodly force that the house had was set into motion, Negrek sent out a small blue Mud Fish, and Zhorken, a perpetually-lethargic Pokémon, who yawned and trudged slowly to its mark.

Pokémon

Negrek (OO)
Active
Mudkipeviolite
Mudkip
Mudkip with ability Torrent holding an Eviolite. Knows Aqua Jet.
Health:100%
Energy:100%
Scald~Sludge Wave~Uproar (1 action)

Zhorken (OO)
Active
Slowpokekings-rock
Meliko
Health:100%
Energy:100%
Psychic/Protect/Future Sight~Psychic/Protect/Future Sight~Psychic/Protect/Future Sight

Round 1 begin!

Mudkip, beating Slowpoke to the action (you could see the runner forming in him already), started with firing a stream of hot water at Meliko. However, there was no reaction from the Dopey Pokémon. He set to wondering why, before Meliko suddenly yelped in pain and before it was clear that the Scald was working with the Subway's hax. It was a further few seconds before she could intrude on Mudkip's mind, planting stimulating several painful areas of the brain. Mudkip shuddered, and winced, and in response launched a hax-enhanced goo which seeped into Meliko, who again intruded upon Mudkip's mind, more effectively than before, and again chose prime spots to force pain on. Mudkip screamed an unholy note - but then extended it as he began to break out into a solo:

NINETY-NINE BOTTLES OF BEER ON THE WALL, NINETY-NINE BOTTLES OF BEER

He struggled to keep it to one action, because the music was so awesome, it deserved to be sung for at least two actions, and as loudly as possible at that. Mudkip got to ninety-seven before Meliko could react and stop the horrible AWESOMENESS that is Mudkip's singing by intruding upon Mudkip's mind and killing his ability to count while again stimulating his pain centres.

Round 1 end!

Damage and Energy Calculations

Action 1
Scald: 6% energy, 5% damage
Psychic: 9% damage, 8% energy
Burn: 1% damage

Action 2
Sludge Wave: 8% damage, 9% energy
Psychic: 17% damage, 7% energy (critical)

Action 3
Uproar (1 action): 15% damage, 9% energy (critical)
Psychic: 10% damage, 7% energy
Poison: 2% damage

Pokémon

Negrek (OO)
Active
Mudkipeviolite
Mudkip
Health:64%
Energy:77%
Status: TWENTY ROOT TWO BOTTLES OF BEER ON THE WALL, SIN X PLUS COSINE I X BOTTLES OF BEER...?
Condition: Special Defense -1
Scald~Sludge Wave~Uproar

Zhorken (OO)
Active
Slowpokekings-rock
Meliko
Health:67%
Energy:78%
Condition: Poisoned (Moderate), Burned (Moderate)
Psychic~Psychic~Psychic

Notes:
  • Uproar and the second Psychic were critical
  • Zhorken, I, along with most other refs I know, accept at most 3 conditionals, and no more. I'll let it slide this round, but if you're uncertain about anything in the future as pertains to my reffing style, ask me.
  • Scald caused a burn
  • The first Psychic caused a defense drop
  • Sludge wave caused moderate Poisoning

Next round:
  1. Negrek commands
  2. Zhorken commands
  3. I ref

Last edited:
A'ight. I wasn't sure, which is why I included the "if it'd just confuse you" thing. I was going to ask, but then I ran up against the DQ time and figured I'd just chance it.

Also, you forgot to actually take off any health or energy.

Well, Mudkip, I was expecting at least one of those psychics to fail. If I'd known Meliko had taken Greater Concentration, we would have taken a different tack! You're doing quite well as it is, though. If Meliko protects, chill.

Start off with something that's sure to rattle our stoic friend. Bite down hard on her tail, and don't let go. If she tries to zap us while we're hanging on tight, she's only going to end up electrocuting herself. While you're hanging in there, use ancientpower. If you didn't bite last action, do so now instead; same instructions.

If you've been dislodged on the final action, protect if Meliko tries something damaging. Otherwise, use uproar; if you're still holding on and start to feel drowsy, let go and use uproar as well, even if Meliko is protecting. But if you're still hanging onto Meliko's tail, check your hidden power.

Bite (and hold onto tail) / Chill ~ Ancientpower / Bite (and hold onto tail) ~ Protect / Uproar (one action) / Hidden Power

Last edited:
I wasn't expecting any of them to fail outright, but yeah, I was expecting at least one of them to get weakened. Noooot complaining though.

Anyway, question; are OHKOs supposed to take 20% energy or 50% here?

EDIT: Also if she uses Bide, its priority means it'll start before Bite; that means she avoids the flinch, right? And Bide won't be interrupted or anything?

Also: "Although slow, [Slowpoke] is skilled at fishing with its tail. It does not feel pain if its tail is bitten." Sooo can I convince you to make Bite not flinch, bulbasaur? :D?

Last edited:
re: OHKO: 24% energy
re: Bide: Bide would last an extra action and would the damage received during that action would not count toward the attack, if I'm reading Bulbapedia correctly. But yes, it's priority.
re: flinching: Sorry, but the arena would probably do something (maybe mess with her mind in some way).

I... really should give a DQ warning just about now, shouldn't I? 48 hours for Zhorken.

Well, they haven't really left us any room to do anything crafty, so let's go with something simple. Simple's your strong suit anyway. Bide all round, and unleash it at the end. Throw him off your tail while you're at it, if you can.

Bide ×3

((EDIT:)) And, uh, by "at the end" I mean yes, wait for him to use Hidden Power, if it's not too late to clarify.

Last edited:
As the Subway rumbled on, the battlers found that the train was running at unsafe speeds, rounding corners inordinately fast. It produced sparks as it could barely hang on to the gauge. Eventually, the participants figured that this was due to the malign of the operators. Everyone crossed their fingers and held their breath as the battle continued and the train rolled on.

Pokémon

Negrek (OO)
Active
Mudkipeviolite
Mudkip
Health:64%
Energy:77%
Condition: Special Defense -1
Bite (and hold onto tail) / Chill ~ Ancientpower / Bite (and hold onto tail) ~ Protect / Uproar (one action) / Hidden Power

Zhorken (OO)
Active
Slowpokekings-rock
Meliko
Health:67%
Energy:78%
Bide~Bide~Bide(wait)

Round 2 begin!
The normally inert Meliko acted astonishingly quickly, visibly tensing her body while Mudkip was still thinking over his action. But once he figured it out, he acted rather viciously: he leapt onto Meliko's tail, crossed the barrier, and bit down, a radiance of black emanating from his bite. However, Meliko didn't do so much as blink as she just took the bite with placid expression and tense body.

Mudkip braced himself for retaliation or the shaking that might follow, but when none came, he took advantage of the lull and summoned artificially-created spirits and faux rocks generated from thin air before proceeding to make them combust and converge on the poor Slowpoke, who just sat there, tense, and took the attack without complaint. Mudkip felt stronger, faster, and bulkier, and looked briefly over at his trainer before continuing on.

But the little Mud Fish, taking his trainer's wild gestures to be merely encouragements, continued by producing a dancing ring of orbs around him, coloured yellow and continuously glowing and fading. He controlled them and made them hit Meliko, and was congratulating himself when Meliko suddenly stopped tensing and released all of her stored energy double. She hit the poor Mud Fish, and not even the supposed power of the Eviolite could stop her from continuing to tear and claw at her victim; only the referee, with the power of the damage cap, could.
Round 2 end!

Action 1
Bite: 8 damage, 5 energy
Burn: 1 damage

Action 2
Ancientpower: 5 damage, 9 energy

Action 3
Hidden Power (Electric): 10 damage, 6 energy
Bide: 45 damage (capped at 40), 26 energy
Poison: 2 damage

Pokémon

Negrek (OO)
Active
Mudkipeviolite
Mudkip
Health:24%
Energy:57%
Status: Surprised at what such a normally docile creature can do
Condition: Attack +1, Sp. Attack +1, Speed +1 Defence +1, Torrent Activated
Bite~Ancientpower~Hidden Power

Zhorken (OO)
Active
Slowpokekings-rock
Meliko
Health:39%
Energy:52%
Bide~Bide~Bide (wait)

Notes:
  • No critical hits
  • Bide's description: "The user […] stands firmly in one place[…]" so Meliko wouldn't have been able to shake Mudkip off.
  • Bite's flinch failed due to Meliko's priority move
  • Hidden Power was electric
  • Ancientpower raised stats
  • I added a couple of points to Bide's energy cost because of the delayed release.

Next round:
  1. Zhorken commands
  2. Negrek commands
  3. I ref

If he makes a Substitute, lift the sub out of the way with Telekinesis; if he's preparing Mirror Coat or he uses Double Team, lift him instead. If he uses Attract or Yawn, use Magic Coat. If he's using Dive, aim a Zap Cannon into the water; if he's using Dig, pull him out with Telekinesis. Otherwise, just use Zap Cannon (unless he's already taken two Zap Cannons at full power, in which case use Telekinesis.)

If he tries to outwait you, don't let him. If he does somehow manage to out-slow a Slowpoke, though, use Telekinesis rather than Zap Cannon to be safe.

Same orders for the whole round.

Telekinesis/Magic Coat/Zap Cannon ×3

((EDIT: OH. Right. By the way these commands kind of hinge on Mudkip not being on Mel's tail anymore? Which bulbasaur said in a PM he imagined to be the case when I asked why she couldn't've shaken him off during the actual attack part of Bide. If it's not, I want to tweak these slightly, if that's okay; I promise it'd be quick.))

Last edited:
(( Fine by me. Sets me up for MUD SPORT I WIN* ))

Mud Sport ~ Endeavor ~ Hydro Pump

* Barring a critical hit. I am not sure whether to threaten or abase myself before the Random Number Gods at this juncture.

On the referee's prompt, Zhorken delivered along string of commands to his partner, who struggled to remember all that information but nodded and was given a pat on the head. Then Negrek, with a gleam in her eyes, ordered with a confident smirk, going and issuing but five words into Mudkip's ears, who lit up upon hearing them; eleven at Zhorken, who was crestfallen at this proclamation; and some prayer to the RNG's, who she could only hope would not screw her over this round.

Pokémon

Negrek (OO)
Active
Mudkipeviolite
Mudkip
Health:24%
Energy:57%
Condition: Attack +1, Sp. Attack +1, Speed +1 Defence +1, Torrent Activated
Mud Sport~Endeavour~Hydro Pump

Zhorken (OO)
Active
Slowpokekings-rock
Meliko
Health:39%
Telekinesis/Magic Coat/Zap Cannon~Telekinesis/Magic Coat/Zap Cannon~Telekinesis/Magic Coat/Zap Cannon

Round 3 begin!
Acting on his rather laconic commands, Mudkip dropped down and rolled in ideal, magically-produced mud, covering himself generously so that by the time he was finished, he was coated with a more-or-less uniform layer of dirt. Meliko, unfazed, charged a large ball of crackling electricity, and aimed it at the brown Mudkip. It veered off course almost immediately, but by some power the ball, at the last second, changed course impossibly and hit Mudkip, blasting in his face. By virtue of the layer of mud on his body, though, Mudkip was not as affected by this as he would otherwise be; however, he still suffered a respectable amount.

From this damage, and all the damage he had suffered during this battle so far, he bred a powerful energy and channelled it into a gallop, at which he ran before knocking into the Slowpoke and managing to knock it back into a seat at a tremendous speed. And although the chairs seemed to be made of cheap made-in-China plastic, Meliko's force = mass * acceleration left nary a crack to the seat. The projectile, though, was left with some bruises and scrapes. Brushing herself off, the Slowpoke again fired off an orb of electricity, which again swerved off course and was put back on track at the very last moment. Mudkip was knocked back some, and for a bit, he lied down, happy to have some respite.

But soon enough, he decided that it was time to finish it. He lifted himself back on his feet, and, drawing from his inner reserve and all of the pain he felt thus far in the battle, squirted a massive jet of water at such speeds and pressures that, although this was Meliko's element, she could not bear the deluge. When the torrent finally stopped, she was knocked out, as determined the judge and the participants.
Round 3 end!

Action 1
Mud Sport: 5 energy
Zap Cannon: 15 energy, 10 damage

Action 2
Endeavour: 25 damage, 13 energy
Zap Cannon: 10 damage, 14 energy

Action 3
Hydro Pump: 12 damage (would have done 14), 11 energy

Pokémon

Negrek (OO)
Active
Mudkipeviolite
Mudkip
Health:4%
Energy:28%
Condition: Attack +1, Sp. Attack +1, Speed +1 Defence +1, Torrent Activated, Paralyzed
Mud Sport~Endeavour~Hydro Pump

Zhorken (XO)
Active
Slowpokekings-rock
Meliko
Health:0%
Condition: Knocked out!
Zap Cannon~Zap Cannon

Notes:
  • No critical hits